Tivoli Reviews

April 10, 2019

Tivoli Storage Manager works VERY well for Db2 and zLiniux

We use Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) primarily to store our database backups and logs. I believe it is used in other capacities for OS and file system backups, but I am not a user in that area and my review will focus on database and log backup storage. We use other solutions for mass storage as well - but due to the tight integration with DB2 and TSM, we will probably always use Tivoli in some aspect.
  • Tight integration with DB2. As an IBM product, it works seamlessly with DB2. You can query what is stored in TSM via DB2 itself. You can also use DB scripts to maintain the items being stored there.
  • Like most of its competitors, Tivoli handles deduplication well.
  • Provides a GUI for browsing and maintaining items stored there. I rarely use this feature, due to the next item I will post:
  • Command-line interface directly from my DB2 database servers.
  • Both client and server-side deduplication, compression and encryption are available.
  • If the requirements are zLinux and DB2 support then it's the most solid solution.
  • Can be complex to implement, but once up and running, it is rock-solid and immensely scalable.
  • Scalability is huge. Can be added onto easily.
  • For Oracle and SQL Server, there are other solutions that provide more "bells and whistles" such as storage-side restores, alerting, etc.
  • We sometimes struggle with passwords expiring, etc. It is not a complete "hands-off" solution, as it requires SOME maintenance (not much, really).
  • VMware backup capabilities lag behind competitors.
  • Very Client Driven (which is a mixed bag). I like this feature. New, younger users may not.
For either DB2 or zLinux, Tivoli is hands-down the best solution. For Oracle and other operating systems, there are more advanced solutions available. Some of these features are considered "game-changing" by our Sys Admins. Of the three solutions I've dealt with, Tivoli ranks right in the middle with cost, features, and complexity. A nice solution (and the best for the options I listed above), but not cutting-edge.
Shaun Houshmand | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 10, 2018

Access granted with Tivoli

We use Tivoli to help centralize access management across a large portal. This is vital for our business and the users. I enjoy that it allows developers more time to worry about their actual application and the potential features, rather than worrying about authentication work that needs to be done uniquely.
  • Fully customizable
  • Automate various portions of various applications
  • Great at Access Management (but also Release, Change, Event, etc)
  • Older versions are complex to install
  • The GUI isn't the best for an older product
  • Compatibility with server systems is troublesome at times
Well suited in terms of easy of deployment and scales best for enterprise applications. I'd say deployment is fast for SAM. Also great when a customer wants to handle Microsoft applications and other applications through TAI and GSO feature. It's a more friendly solution to install now, but you need some smart guys on the team.
Read Shaun Houshmand's full review