Formerly StratEx

What is Toast Payroll & Team Management?

Toast Payroll & Team Management offers HR, payroll, and benefits solutions to meet a variety of restaurant needs. It is based on the former StratEx product, developed by the company of the same name in Chicago that was acquired by Toast July 2019.

1 person want pricing too

What is Gusto?

Gusto offers payroll, benefits and compliance capabilities. Gusto is scaled for small to mid-sized businesses, and emphasizes an easy to use interface.

What is ADP Workforce Now?

ADP Workforce Now is a cloud-based HR platform for mid-sized businesses. It features customizable modules of various HR services that businesses can tailor to their specific needs, as well as regulatory monitoring and alerts to help businesses remain compliant.

Toast Payroll & Team Management Technical Details

February 18, 2022

Missing HR features

We use it for onboarding new employees, payroll, expense reimbursement, and health care benefit renewals.
  • Payroll.
  • Health Care Benefits.
  • Expense reporting.
  • HR - We used to receive HR support and that is something that we really miss.
  • StratEx was also our broker so made the health care side of things seamless and we miss that too.
  • Support - Sometimes the support we get is lacking or we get different answers from different people.
Great for onboarding new employees w/ their paperwork. Great for health care benefit renewals. I wish that HR issues/laws were more integrated and we had an HR rep like we used to. We are not a restaurant/in the food industry so sometimes it seems like the system isn't designed for us - for instance, we have multiple employees in multiple states and that's something that is an issue w/ new employee setups.
Justin Gipp | TrustRadius Reviewer
Toast Payroll and Team Management is a payroll service with a very narrow niche. Toast Payroll and Team Management is a software geared specifically to restaurant businesses and was considered for a client of mine. The software does a great job for restaurants, however, the larger named payroll services can provide the same services at a lower cost.
  • Tip splitting
  • Payroll by class
  • Specific reports
  • Fees
  • Accounting integration and syncing
Toast Payroll and Team Management is great for people in the restaurant business that have trouble keeping record of tips and splitting tips among several employees. Restaurant business can also print reports by category to see earnings by type of employee. The software is niched to mainly restaurants, so any other industry would typically not use Toast Payroll.
Tyler Collum | TrustRadius Reviewer
We made the decision to come off a PEO and bring all HR functions in house. The decision was made to solve for two problems: (1) system control, and (2) costs. This prompted a search for the right HRS that would be at least cost neutral and also allow us to control all aspects of the employee cycle within one central system without having to rely on the support and (often) delays caused by having a PEO in place.
  • HR Services. StratEx provides you a dedicated HR Services Account Manager. This person not only knows the intricacies of the HR software, but also supports all HR functions within the organization. Our StratEx HR Services Manager stays up-to-date on all laws and governmental guidance and provides support across our multi-location workforce.
  • Sales Experience. We sat through several proposals and demos from lots of companies (including the big players, like ADP, Ultimate, and Ceridian) and all of them were just completely useless. We often left with more questions than we had and we could get no answers--just the same corporate jargon. StratEx offered a different experience. A quick introductory call before we even started looking, and a low-pressure, friendly conversation where they really discovered who we are as a company and then proposed how they could meet our needs.
  • Software support. From the very beginning, the software support was out of this world. During implementation, I could pick up the phone and call one of two people who I had started building a relationship with. They knew me, our account, our practices --- everything. They waited until I told them I was ready to move to General Support. General Support isn't a bad thing! Our dedicated team of two specialized in implementation and they were released to go work on the next client. General Support is a dedicated group of three or four people who also know me and our practices. They are available when I need them to support any issues or changes that come up. StratEx's support is fantastic.
  • I would like to see the reporting features expanded more. I can build custom reports, but I would love to be able to extract any data point I want to create reports I need.
  • Passive benefit enrollment. Currently, their system doesn't support the ability for employees to remain passively enrolled through each benefit enrollment period. Each year, every employee has to go into the system and re-enroll in benefit elections/deferrals. This isn't complicated for our company and requires extra work on our end.
  • I would like to see social functions built into the site. The site is already a platform many employees are in all the time, so instead of us looking for an intra-net or employee site provider, we could simply use StratEx if the option were available.
I believe StratEx is well suited for any type of business at any size. However, I believe the sweet spot would be hotels and restaurants that are small to midsize. With the right HR staff in place, StratEx is so user-friendly and moldable to the needs of the business that it can be used in any industry, location, or by any company with any employee population.