Todoist Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Amber Callan profile photo
Todoist is what I use to manage my daily tasks in my professional and personal life. While my organization uses a more advanced project management software (Teamwork Projects) to manage the big picture tasks and workflows of our office, I find Todoist's simplicity to be key in managing small tasks that pop up through emails or small internal tasks that we don't necessarily want to build out a big project for.
  • Simplicity & Ease of Use - Todoist is very user-friendly and simple to understand. They make it easy to add tasks with dates, comments, priorities, and attachments while organizing your projects. It's similar to creating a checklist!
  • Apps - I have Todoist on my phone, my MacBook and my iPad and they all sync seamlessly. I personally haven't run into any bugs using these apps for three years now and they're always pushing updates through. When I'm at a conference with my iPad, I can still see all of my tasks and when I'm on the go with my phone, I can see all my tasks too. I'm not tied to my work desktop!
  • Price - For $3 a month for personal use and $5 a month per user for business use, Todoist's pricing is very reasonable. They also offer a free version which is very nice as well! So if you're looking for a project management software with no frills at a low cost, Todoist could be your savior!
  • Task Dependencies - Particularly for business projects, I'd love if we could make one team member's task dependent on another's where we could say "do this task 3 days after another one is complete"
  • No Two Factor Authentication - For me personally, I like to keep all my passwords secure and backed up by two-factor authentication. Just wish this was something Todoist offered!
  • Adding Start Date & End Date - Sometimes I set an end date farther in the future, but I'm not alerted that I need to be working on it before then to achieve that due date. If I look at the "Next 7 Days" section, I can see upcoming tasks, but ideally, I'd love to be able to set a start date and an end date so it could appear in today's tasks without needing to be completed today.
I personally love Todoist. It helps me manage my day in the office and at home. Honestly, I don't know how I used to live without it. If you're personally looking for a simple checklist or project management software, there's nothing better than Todoist for simplicity, ease of use and price. If you're looking for a robust, advanced business project management software, there may be better options with advanced features that you want (we use Teamwork Projects, for example). I would say if you're a small team, then Todoist business could fit your needs while you grow. Once you get beyond a couple of members on your team, I could see how you may want advanced features that Todoist simply doesn't offer.
Read Amber Callan's full review
Michael Armes profile photo
September 21, 2019

Todoist? It's done!

I use Todoist to keep track of project items that might not fit better inside of a work item in TFS. A few other team members use it as well. The ability to schedule tasks in the future or as recurring jobs is a great plus, especially in the free edition.
  • The recurring (every day/week/Tuesday/15th) scheduling is a great plus.
  • The mobile app works flawlessly, in my experience.
  • I like being able to group tasks under projects.
  • You need to pay for Premium to add notes to work items (not a big deal, really).
For tracking "yes/no, is this item done" Todoist is great. The recurring task scheduling is a great way to keep track of things that you've got to do every so often or always on a particular date/day. The interface is straightforward and easy to use, and the mobile app is intuitive, too. If you need to track the history or discussion of a work item, Todoist is probably not the tool you want.
Read Michael Armes's full review
Pamela Xeele profile photo
It is used to keep people organized and on task. It is used to manage projects. Currently used by one user in hopes of launching across the department.
  • Reminder set to give user backup of areas to be covered when other staff is on vacation or out of the office.
  • Keeping projects on time with main lists managed in one spot
  • The referral feature where tasks can be send directly to the Todoist users project list
  • Organize project list by ranking of importance controlled by user
It works well for managing many projects that are collaborated by other people
It allows for reminding of tasks in several ways, either text or email
It is very user friendly
Read Pamela Xeele's full review
Andy Abramson profile photo
We haven't networked Todoist, but I use it every day, and it's my task list, reminder checklist, and high-level task organizer. It integrates nicely with many of the services we use, and by pairing it with Zapier, it has become a really cool way to keep things on track. I used many other similar apps in the past, but I find Todoist to be the best for my needs.
  • Works on mobile and in the browser.
  • Has the ability to link to emails for follow up.
  • Syncing between devices is in near real-time.
  • Time zone calendar syncing needs to improve.
  • Deleted calendar items need to work better -- the issue is tied to Zapier I think.
  • There's a log-in issue when Chrome updates have to be better managed.
For people who keep lists, Todoist is the bomb. It's suited for anyone who needs to follow up on their own work and the work of others. The ability to "tag" tasks and group them together is a big plus for the organization. It can get a bit overwhelming, though, if you have too many. Label management needs to also "remind" the user of labels that have not been used in a while and ask to archive. That would be a nice hygiene feature to add.
Read Andy Abramson's full review
Michał A. Nowakowski profile photo
Todoist is used by the administrative staff to collect incoming tasks, organize them and structure them. Its main advantages are: the ability to capture things from variety of sources (emails from Spark app, webpages, quick entry for dumping ideas) and the ability to filter tasks according to multitude of criteria (e.g. labels, assignees, dates, projects).
  • ubiquitous capture
  • clean, modern, minimalistic design
  • constant polishing (frequent updates)
  • poor support of clients on older systems (MacOS Sierra)
  • no start dates
  • just task list (no extra task views)
Todoist shines as an advanced to-do list (it makes capturing tasks a real pleasure; you could have lots of labels/tasks for any task; filter function is very flexible) but if you expect more (wikis, dependencies, kanban board, data structured in a table, docs) you unfortunately have to look elsewhere. There's focus on planning and organizing but not on executing.
Read Michał A. Nowakowski's full review
Craige Hardel profile photo
We've used Todoist to keep our tasks coordinated. Myself along with my assistant used it to stay on track with key tasks to be completed. It was essential especially as we're in different time zones and have strict deadlines to ensure our content goes out on time. Todoist helped not knowing who had to do what and also provided a system of keeping my employees accountable and on task.
  • Task lists and categories to categorize them
  • Deadlines for subtasks and big picture perspective on what needs to be completed
  • User interface - their dark mode feature is really awesome working at night and also across various screen sizes
  • Multi platform - they have apps natively across all platforms including linux which really suited me
  • Pricing: though convenient they should offer a monthly option especially if some of your employees aren't full time
  • Their tag structure and priorities features can be confusing. It is flexible but it can complicate setup
  • Two-way google calendar integration - they do have one but it can be clunky at times
Suited: Large teams working together on simple or complex tasks e.g. marketing campaign
Suited: On the go personal use
Suited: Business person and solopreneur looking to stay organized
Not suited: If you don't do work online
Not suited: Constantly on the move and not a tech enthusiast
Not suited: If you're more kanban and big picture oriented instead of to list minded
Read Craige Hardel's full review
Kristina Wiggins profile photo
September 21, 2019

Todoist is excellent

I absolutely cannot live without ToDoist for both my professional and personal life. When I’m choosing to-do list software it is imperative for me to have an app as well as a web-based version. Todoist also makes it easy and efficient to communicate, collaborate and work with my entire team.
  • Organization.
  • Team collaboration.
  • Mobile app + web-based.
  • Can't think of anything at this time!
Todoist is well suited for anyone that has multiple things going on both professionally and personally. It gives you the ability to stay on task and not forget about it. One of my favorite features is that I can take a screenshot of something I need to do and share it right to Todoist and create a task!
Read Kristina Wiggins's full review
Hernán Silva profile photo
Personal task management integrated with business task management tools.
  • Multiplatform task management: A well-built task management app with outstanding support on PCs, mobile devices and the web.
  • Ease of use.
  • Backup options - As of the date of the review, there is no option to backup your tasks or export them outside the app. There are help pages pointing to a "Backup" tab that seems to no longer exist.
  • Collaboration - There are no options to collaborate on tasks or projects.
Todoist is well suited for small projects where a to-do list and a schedule is enough for most personal task management. It is not well suited for managing projects where several team members have to collaborate on a project or task.
Read Hernán Silva's full review
Todoist is currently used by all non-administrative employees at the firm. For us it replaced our old system of shared Google Calendars to track court dates, filing due dates, meetings which was non-intuitive and was also prone to cross-platform issues (someone would add something through the Calendar website, someone else would modify it through the Calendar app on iPhone and then someone would try to accept an invite on Android and somewhere in the middle things would de-sync). Having one central app helps avoids most of those problems (at the cost of some overhead due to having to install the software on each device).
  • Universal shortcuts in the desktop apps reduces friction between thinking of something you need to do and actually adding it to your list.
  • "Tagging" systems for projects makes assigning tasks extremely intuitive.
  • Google Cal integration allows for a basically universal way of having tasks show up in your devices even if you don't have Todoist currently installed, as well as letting you use the Google API to integrate tasks for other uses (e.g.: automatically booking a meeting room for certain tasks).
  • A "calendar" view would be useful although that is currently solved for us with Google Calendar integration
  • Windows app will occasionally freeze with no clear explanation nor way to solve it other than force quitting.
  • Task search functionality is very limited and requires precise wording to find what you are looking for.
For us it has been invaluable in replacing endless email chains with task lists that are manually updated. On the individual level people used to use individual paper notebooks with their personal task lists, which would mean it was almost impossible to to share these tasks between people (even in scenarios where that task involved one person, having a backup in case that person was no longer available was invaluable).

Training users out of their old habits into using Todoist is hard and will probably add some overhead to its implementation, but for us it has been worth it.
We use Todoist in our operations department to manage tasks for busy remote/on-the-road employees, mostly day-to-day reoccurring tasks but also one-off tasks.
It makes it easy to maintain accountability for staff whom we do not have direct contact with every day, we noticed that we spent less time chasing up staff to complete tasks due to the reminders on their devices.
  • Very simple to add tasks and reminders by typing in what reminders you might need, for example: "Take out the rubbish every week on Tuesday" creates a task for every Tuesday. This means you don't have to deal with complex forms and settings.
  • Location based reminders - very handy for "Don't forget to do this onsite" type of reminders.
  • Groups - The groups will send everyone in the group a notification when anyone else completes a task in that group, which is great for reminding the other staff that they also need to do their tasks.
  • Points system creates a competitive environment.
  • You are unable to set location-based reminders for others, only for your self. As a manager it would be great to be able to set location-based reminders. For example: "Sign in on arrival".
  • Would be nice to have task templates built in, where you can create a task with a set of sub-tasks from a pre-defined template.
Todoist is great for:
Simple task management.
On-road/remote employee management - simple tasks.
Day-to-day and recurring task management - Daily sign-in reminders, weekly paperwork reminders, wash company vehicle.
Quick task entry - To-do list style.
Managing "hands-on" type people.

Todoist is not so great for:
Complex tasks with many layers and dependencies.
Team management for projects - Todoist may be too simple.
Where customized logic and integrations are required.
October 16, 2019

No more overwhelm

I use it for my own different business and personal projects. I don't share it with co-workers. Basically I brainstorm ideas and put them in different buckets, and later I put priorities and dates on them. This helps me organize myself while I have a lot of things I participate in. Previously I've done everything on paper and in Trello. Todoist solves the overwhelm partially, could be better tho.
  • Alternative to pen and paper planning.
  • Can easily move tasks between projects and break things down to smaller ones.
  • I like ability to prioritize and put dates with shortcuts when writing the name of the task.
  • Lots of keyboard shortcuts that are helpful and save time.
  • Multiplatform, you can use it as browser extension, their website, apps and in gmail.
  • I don't like that you need to buy premium to use tags, such things are often available for free in competition.
  • It does not have its own calendar type of feature, only couple following days, I use google calendar with it.
I don't think its suitable for teamwork, but I have not really used it for that.
It's very good in helping to get organized and implement different organizing strategies from the productivity literature such as Getting Things Done.
Also it's not good for planning specific days as it doesn't have a hour by hour calendar.
It's great for setting goals, breaking down big projects, moving tasks between them and prioritization.
I've tested Wunderlist and MeisterTask, but I've always come back to Todoist. It's incredibly easy to use and the tasking and scheduling workflows are perfectly intuitive. Through Zapier, I've integrated it with Slack, Gmail, Alexa, and more, allowing for easy tasking and completion across my comms tools. I use TDI for both work and personal tasking, sharing tasks and connecting to calendars. TDI helps me run my life.
  • Tasking.
  • Scheduling.
  • Project management.
  • Would like to be able to complete tasks via Alexa.
  • No real complaints. I love it.
Todoist is my favorite productivity tool! Working cross-functionally and with a range of clients, I'm in a few project management and comms tools. TDI is my task hub. I can't work without it. Connecting TDI to all sorts of other tools helps me to instantly set tasks and reminders, then manage them efficiently in the app.
We use Todoist to track tasks and objectives within our organization. It is used across teams to coordinate projects and ensure that work gets done. We find the simplicity and accessibility of the tool (it can be used across platforms) helped adoption and has made Todoist become the task manager of choice in our business.
  • Runs on all web-enabled platforms
  • Clean, simple interface
  • Adaptable to marketing, sales, and product/tech teams
  • Great integration support
  • Not enough keyboard shortcuts!
  • No easy way to integrate email or calendar with tasks
  • No live support options
It's great if you need a simple task management tool that works between all organizations without needing much customization. Additionally, the sharing and collaboration features are great for working across teams. However, if you need a tool that heavily integrates with your software development or another specialized tool, this program is not for you.
Todoist has been used by the individuals in our department for a about 12 months. We enjoyed it as we first got to use it. This wonderful software has been such a wonderful help to us to tackle down the things we need to do. Before implementing Todoist, we were not very organized.
  • Very easy UI
  • Very easy logic to manage to-do list
  • No bugs found
  • Haven't found anything yet.
  • Everything is good.
  • Nothing to complain about.
The scenarios we were running into is that we did not have anything to manage our to do list. During that time, things were getting accumulated and some of them were never finished. In that case, we realized that we need some sort of software to help us manage our list. therefore, we found Todoist.
Adam Moreschi profile photo
Todoist is being used by every full-time team member at our software-as-a-service (SaaS) startup in the nonprofit space. We use it for daily and weekly tasks that we perform individually, so as to set deadlines and priorities, along with assigning one another tasks that relate to our individual work in each department.
  • Todoist is great at automatically setting you up to easily create deadlines and priorities on a few clicks. This takes away the guesswork of poor user interface design and makes for more efficient workdays!
  • Todoist makes it very easy to see things in a timeline manner on the main dashboard, which is nice when looking at a week's or month's work.
  • Todoist sends daily reminders of what you have on your plate for the day, as well as which tasks are overdue, which is exactly the daily summary I like to have.
  • Todoist does not make it easy to find a "calendar view" of the tasks-at-hand. I like being able to scroll through lists of my "Today" tasks, "The Next 7 Days" tasks, etc., but I would like to have a clearer feature where I can see a calendar of how many tasks I have on each date, and how many Priority 1 versus Priority 3 or Priority 4 tasks I have, etc., in more calendar or graph-based visuals.
  • Todoist does not necessarily allow for automatic sharing of tasks, which I would prefer in such a small team at this point in time. You can share tasks one-by-one, but I think there could be strength to setting a default where you inverse the model and allow people to hide tasks as individual-view only, versus just allowing others to see what is on your plate. I think this would foster more collaboration and allow others to see what you have on your plate that they may be able to help with, too!
  • Todoist doesn't have a quick-view to see which other team members have set up Todoist, and how many tasks they have as you scroll through any calendar or list views. This would be really helpful for team capacity planning and covering or leveling out work loads.
Todoist is nice in that it is very easy and straightforward to use, which is one of the main pieces that people need in order to adopt the use of a new tool across an organization. It is very clear on how to create and complete tasks, and how to set labels, archive tasks, and assign tasks to others. So for those that are thrown off by lengthy spreadsheet project management models, Todoist is a great tool to consider, even for a trial period or demo!

Todoist would not be for someone that wants to plan out projects at-length with more typical Project Management-related software, whether particular to software development like sprints in Atlassian's JIRA, or in design or business roles in a highly visual and sharing-focused program like Monday.com. In these types of programs, you have a lot more visibility and project-focused visualization and feature sets that are required, whereas Todoist's strength really lies in getting people away from paper lists that have you constantly flipping back and forth between the pages, and get you into the digital space to keep track of things for people before, during, and after meetings, or on top of assignments that you have to hit by a particular deadline.
Read Adam Moreschi's full review
Benjamin Hale profile photo
Todoist is currently being used by individuals within my company, but not by the company in whole. As a different to do application was selected for our department before my arrival, I had no say in which was selected.

Instead, Todoist is used by myself and a few other co-workers individually to manage our daily tasks at work and in our personal lives. Some users use the free version, but some of us choose to purchase the premium version to add the additional notes, categorization, and tagging.

In general, Todoist allows me to maintain a clear and precise to-do list within Outlook, on my mobile device, and in a standalone app on my computer. The ease of use, integrations and cross-platform ability allows me to add tasks and complete them quickly and easily no matter where I am or what I am working on. This is where other to-do software platforms have not worked as well for me. I am not struggling with the technology to create and complete simple tasks.
  • Cross platform
  • Easy to learn and use
  • Can add tasks from emails different ways
  • Premium version allows notes on tasks to give context when needed
  • Dark mode!
  • Keyboard shortcuts which are easy to learn and make adding tasks a breeze
  • Affordable pricing model
  • Would like a non-Google android version for non-Google android devices (Amazon Fire Tablets)
  • Would like an option to create follow-up task upon completion of a task
  • Logic based tasks (i.e. when task 1 is complete, then activate task 2)
  • Time based priorities. Set priority 1 after 6PM, but only priority 4 before 6PM
Todoist is a wonderful tool for those who work off of checklists and who can keep going back to a single list to keep track of what to do next. Todoist is also a good tool for those with project work, as you can put all tasks that are needed for a project within said project and still give due dates, so they show up on the days they need to be worked on.
The business edition is great for those who will need to delegate tasks to others, especially with the notes section to pass on important information.

It is not so great for seeing a bigger picture of the workload schedule, as other Kanban or Gantt chart schedule programs would be.
Read Benjamin Hale's full review
Ben Marcoux Roofing Lead Generation Expert profile photo
I use Todoist to schedule all my tasks and meetings every single day. This simple app has completely eliminated written to-do lists from my life and helps me to stay organized and efficient. The two-way API integration lets you sync Todoist with your calendar app (like Google Calendar or Outlook for example) and also allows you to connect with calendar scheduling tools (like Acuity Scheduling or ScheduleOnce for example) so all your tasks and appointments come into one central location. Super easy to use and efficient.
  • Two-way API integration allows you to sync in real-time with your calendar and scheduling apps. The two-way API is super cool because whether you update a task in the Todoist app or in your calendar/scheduling tool, everything gets updated in real time on both Todoist and your other apps.
  • Organize and schedule tasks with and without times to make it clear and obvious what you need to do.
  • Different types of alerts and notifications that are easily customizable based on time (notify me at XYZ date and time) and location (notify me when I am in XYZ location).
  • Desktop and mobile app syncs in real time.
  • Easily create, edit, and organize projects so you can use Todoist for personal and work tasks without being confused.
  • Share tasks with other Todoist users to keep your team on the same page.
  • When scheduling an appointment with a time, Todoist only lets you choose a duration of 30 or 60-minute blocks that get synced to your calendar. There's no way to customize the task end time in Todoist if, for example, you only need a 15-minute task. The only way to edit your tasks is to create it in Todoist, then go to your calendar app (I use Google calendar) and edit the time of the event in the Google calendar.
  • Requires Zapier integrations in order to sync up with Task Management tools like Asana and Trello.
  • I think Todoist is better suited for individuals although the functionality is available natively in the app features and through Zapier to make it a great resource for a bigger team.
Read Ben Marcoux Roofing Lead Generation Expert's full review
Josh Summerhays profile photo
Todoist is used by my department, Product and Marketing. We're using the free version as a basic task manager in conjunction more spreadsheet-based project management tracking. It allows us to stay on top of the minute of our projects more easily (grouping them by project in Todoist) and calendar them effectively but flexibly.
  • It's really easy to create new tasks, categorize them, and schedule them. The scheduling is also very flexible. If I don't get everything on my list done for the day (let's be honest, that happens most of the time), it's easy to quickly reschedule my remaining tasks for the next day or the next week.
  • Todoist has really solid apps for desktop and mobile. I use the apps for Mac OS and Android. They sync quickly and the design and usability between the two is very similar. I didn't have to learn drastically different flows to be able to use them both.
  • Notifications are appropriately persistent. I get a mobile push notification everyday of how many tasks I have that are due (or overdue as the case may be). It holds me to account and forces me to deal with the tasks I have on my list, whether to complete them or reschedule them.
  • Nice integration with Slack. I like the ability to set myself tasks from Slack since I'm in that interface quite a bit at work.
  • Add more functionality to the Slack integration. I would love to pull up my task list using a Slack command and check off completed items there. Even if I couldn't mark items off, I would still love to be able to pull up my task list for the day from within Slack. Currently, I think the only thing I can do is create new tasks.
  • Organizing project folders is pretty tricky. When I was setting up sub-folders, they would get all out of order very easily. It took me a while to figure out where to drag and drop a folder if I wanted to roll it up under a top-level folder.
  • I would love a calendar view of my tasks, so I can see which days have a certain number of tasks and plan accordingly. The list view is fine, but the calendar grid would be useful for planning and cross-referencing with my Google Calendar schedule.
Todoist is a no-brainer tool if you're looking for a task manager and you're not sure if you're ready to pay yet. The free tool is very powerful and provides great functionality. It's easy to learn the basics very quickly and offers flexibility for a power-user like a Getting Things Done practitioner.

It compares favorably with other tools in it's space for collaboration as well. Assigning tasks to others is easy, including from within the Slack integration.
Read Josh Summerhays's full review
Kalyn Hoffman profile photo
Todoist is a task management software that allows you to assign tasks to individuals with deadlines and to various lists, as well as level of importance. Todoist is great for businesses and organizations alike. Users love the functionality to create personalized to-do lists as well. It helps all tasks lists to be organized within one app so everyone is on the same page with current happenings.
  • Love the ability to make various task lists including professional, home, shared, etc.
  • Todoist has great options to assign recurring actions that have to be completed on a schedule.
  • It is great that you can assign tasks to other people in order to save communication time!
  • Todoist could improve its notification functionality to include push notifications on the iPhone instead of having to go to the notification center to get them.
  • The desktop app is a little bit more glitchy than the mobile version.
  • The paid version offers several more features but if cost is a hindrance, this could be a barrier to some.
Todoist is great for teams of all sizes! You can add as many individuals to lists as you'd like. However, if the cost for premium users is not an option for a business or organization, they may be frustrated by the limitations of the free version. Overall it's a great product suited for nearly anyone!
Read Kalyn Hoffman's full review
As someone with lots of clients, I rely on Todoist daily to give me prompts on what to do and when to do it. I find it most useful when I have to send a client an email but I'm too busy (so I put that task in for later) and when I have to follow up on a client. I also love that with the Premium version, I can schedule in the exact time and date for a prompt to remind me to do something. I also like the gamification of it, where I get points for completing tasks. I'm now a Karma Master. :)
  • Gamification. Todoist makes it a little fun to challenge and beat yourself.
  • The Todoist Mac App is a godsend. I don't like to open browsers or a new tab for a to-do list. It impacts workflow. I would rather have a native app that opens independently of Chrome.
  • I love that the whole interface is simple and easy to work with, and quite intuitive.
  • I would like a calendar view of the tasks that I've set times and dates to. I think that will increase productivity as I would have an overall, visual view of what to do, when to do it and when to stop doing it. Right now, I'm doing tasks when I feel like doing them, or force myself to do them at a certain time. I certainly would like to cultivate the habit of looking at the calendar, seeing a task there and just doing it without thinking about it too much.
If you constantly need reminders to do things and you're not very organised, Todoist is just the thing. I can't think of a scenario where Todoist wouldn't help an entrepreneur/business owner immensely.
I use Todoist myself to organize my daily and weekly to-dos. It's a pretty simple app that offers support for iOS, Android and Mac OS as well. I use it to create tasks and sub-tasks for me and also organize my tasks in projects which help me to stay more focused on the project I am working on at that moment.
  • Todoist's overall design and user experience is very good, I really like it.
  • It's very simple and straightforward to use it.
  • I like when I can type e.g. today or tomorrow in the to-do text and it will understand that it's a deadline for the to-do.
  • I wish more premium features would be available for free users.
  • Would be great to have a better UI on mobile apps, as it's sometimes not that convenient to switch between projects on the mobile app.
Todoist is a great tool for a personal use. You can use it also as a freelancer or as a team member inside your team. I don't think it will be very convenient to use Todoist in larger organizations, but maybe I am wrong.
December 20, 2018

The next level to do list

Currently as our company is growing I am exploring a number of project management solutions; Todoist being one. I have experience using this tool as a team at another company. There we used it as an internal tool to set tasks for individuals and breaking them out for specific clients. Within these tasks we would use the due date functionality and mentioning team mates in order to keep track of the progress on each item on the list. Currently at my company it is just being used on a personal basis with no team collaboration.
  • Simple, easy to use
  • Quickly organize thoughts
  • Ability to flag and organize as you wish
  • Easily create and assign tasks to members of your team. Set due dates and quickly be able to identify which tasks are approaching the due dates and those that are past due.
  • The layout of the “lists” are not the most aesthetically pleasing. Being able to customize the view would be preferred.
  • The ability to separate out clients in my case is not too intuitive. Setting up the projects seems to be the best way but doesn't allow many layers such as additional tasks below each client aka project.
Todoist is a great easy tool to use. I have used it both in a team setting where items get assigned to one another and as an individual. Overall expertise has been strong.
Chloe Sayers profile photo
August 28, 2018

Todoist for To Do-ers

I am the only one that I know of that uses Todoist at my organization. I use Todoist as a personal organization tool to keep tasks organized for my job and make sure that nothing falls through the cracks. It addresses the business problem of having to keep track of a lot of moving pieces. In finance, letting something slip through the cracks can cause some major problems so it's important that tasks are managed and kept on top of.
  • The e-mail to Todoist function is super helpful
  • The accumulation of "karma" points is a good motivator to get stuff done
  • Todoist makes it easy to nest tasks
  • I would love if the e-mail to Todoist feature was available on other plans than the paid one as keeping my inbox clean is my #1 reason for using an external to do list organizer
Todoist is great for basic task organization. I don't think it does collaboration very well - the tool is designed so you can tag other people in your tasks and assign tasks for them. However, once you start having multiple people in one software solution, it moves from being an agile and easily usable task management system to a rather clunky project management solution. If you need something for your own tasks and reminders, Todoist is great.
Read Chloe Sayers's full review
Paul Weber profile photo
Todoist is used within my department by myself and direct reports to manage our own internal workload across thirteen individuals. We have a handful of integrations allowing certain customer requests to be entered and assigned automatically, as well as managing a review and approval workflow for certain tasks and users. We track all projects and individual tasks within Todoist and use it daily as the central task management system.
  • Creates tasks easily using human language
  • Shares tasks and comments simply through email or desktop/mobile app
  • Allows new users to see tasks and priorities clearly without much of a learning curve
  • Only offers due dates, not defer or "start working on" dates
  • Some icons are too low contrast and incredibly hard to see
  • Fluctuation in paid vs premium features can make it hard to decide what account type is best for you
Todoist is great for an individual or small group with basic project management needs. We had used other simpler products in the past that left us missing features we needed and dropped a more complex product because it was overwhelming and distracting. Todoist is a great middle ground, particularly with strong cross-platform and web apps.
Read Paul Weber's full review
Chris Tuley profile photo
I personally use Todoist to manage my to-do lists. I've been using the application for over 2 years. I use it primarily on my personal iPhone and Mac. I have not used via the web or on Android or PC. I use Todoist to manage my to-do list for each day as well as putting into dos for future dates.
  • Easy to use interface
  • Ability to put in to-dos for a future day
  • Daily and weekly goals help you achieve more
  • Premium features are not explained well
  • Mac app does not sync well
Todoist is best used for an individual to do lists. While it can be used in collaboration with other Todoist users, I personally think it works best when used by a single person. The ability to use Todoist on any device is a huge plus and makes it easier to use.
Read Chris Tuley's full review

5.5
Scheduling (24)
Workflow Automation (15)
Team Collaboration (25)
Support for Agile Methodology (12)
6.7
Support for Waterfall Methodology (8)
Document Management (7)
Email integration (22)
Mobile Access (30)
Timesheet Tracking (3)
9.8
Change request and Case Management (4)
9.8
Budget and Expense Management (3)
Quotes/estimates (1)
Invoicing (1)
Project & financial reporting (2)
Integration with accounting software (3)
5.9

About Todoist

Doist, a company boasting an entirely globally distributed workforce, offers Todoist, a project management platform emphasizing the needs of a distributed workforce. The application emphasizes tracking events over time with advanced closed task and progress reporting, with custom graphics for sharing or ease of review.