Todoist Reviews

Christy Price | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 11, 2020

Todoist helps you stay organized and is intuitive to use.

I use Todoist to organize my business. I have multiple projects (blog post ideas, business development, clients, etc) and each of these can be scheduled for a particular date. I'm a one-woman business, so Todoist is a simple way for me to take notes and plan out client work without the complexity of Airtable or ClickUp.
  • Organizing projects.
  • Setting reminders and due dates for tasks.
  • Sharing tasks or projects with others.
  • It is difficult to a comment on a task; no option for bullet points.
  • Reminders requires the premium level.
  • No task hierarchy.
Todoist is great for one person or collaboration with a very small group. The simplicity of the interface helps you create and assign tasks quickly, but it can become unwieldy if you are managing several collaborators within one project. Overall, Todoist is perfect for my needs as a company of one and I'd recommend it to other solopreneurs.
Read Christy Price's full review
Mike Bissett | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 18, 2020

Simple, Easy-to-Use Time Management Tool

Todoist is used on an individual basis throughout our organization. The majority of my team use it as a time management tool.
  • Great time management tool. Simple interface to stay organized.
  • Great for taking and storing notes.
  • Not really an issue, but there is a learning curve, especially setting up projects.
  • It would be beneficial if there was a way to default to a specific list. Maybe it’s here and I just haven’t figured it out.
I think Todoist is particularly useful for people who frequently bounce between a desktop and mobile app. The interface is simple and syncing is automatic. This is a great tool for travelers, both business and personal.
Read Mike Bissett's full review
Vinicius Andrade | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 12, 2020

Efficient and practical

Today I make more personal use of Todoist and not just things from my job. I use it more to write down small daily jobs or quick things for the next few days. I save time knowing what I need to do in my day, whether in the app, on the widget at the home screen on my smartphone, laptop, or desktop.
  • Quick task notes
  • Intelligent auto fill
  • Tasks view
  • Time counter
For daily tasks, Todoist is perfect, and also to divide a project into small tasks. The visualization favors the tasks you have to do, and that is the proposal of the app, I imagine. However, I don't see a use for it in my complex projects that last for weeks or months. Even breaking all tasks and classifying in a label and using filters, I would still have difficulty managing the progress of the project, mainly because other tools allow me to estimate and count the time spent as well as doing a burndown.
Read Vinicius Andrade's full review
July 23, 2020

An easy-to-use and adaptive to-do list application

My lab group used Todoist to plan, organize, and coordinate work among peers. Todoist offers a great advantage over other similar programs including easy implementation, attractive features, easy access from multiple devices, and timely reminders before important events. The Pro version of the software offers added advantages such as sending cryptic invitations to individuals to safeguard sensitive information. Overall, it is a great tool for planning work in a small setup.
  • Easy implementation
  • Great features
  • Attractive interface
  • Often prone to unexpected crashes
  • The Pro version is a tad bit expensive
  • Not widely popular. Hence, marketing should be improved.
It is a great tool to organize based on various categories. It also offers the provision to separate personal and professional tasks and to-do lists based on their priority. The categorization feature is very attractive as it helps take care of all important activities. It is not quite well suited to run the app on the phone due to the vast number of features it offers.
February 26, 2020

Todoist is an excellent task management app for small teams

We've used Todoist as a project management tool between two teammates in the same department. It's helped the two of us specifically collaborate more effectively and keep track of what the other person is working on without involving the entire organization. We've really enjoyed the features that allow us to sort, tag, and assign tasks between the two of us. We're also able to use this in conjunction with our own personal todo lists, which means tasks aren't getting lost on a new app we're forgetting to check!
  • Tags
  • Project Categories
  • Assigning Tasks
  • No complaints here - I think it's a great todo list app
Todoist is great for straight task management. It's not necessarily a great solution for projects that require documents, links, or other types of context around a certain task. For example, something like Asana allows for more information to be added in description areas and offers templates around organizing tasks in the scope of a larger project, but Todoist is really best for creating a list, checking it twice, and getting things done.
February 25, 2020

A great middle-of-the-road choice that will be suitable for most

I used Todoist as a personal task manager for years. I never tried the teams feature, but overall I found it to be a more than capable cross-platform productivity app that seems to hit a sweet spot between ease of use and overall depth of features for power users.
  • Cross-platform makes it the same everywhere and anywhere.
  • Can be used for teams.
  • Not as robust as some competitors.
  • Boolean searches could be easier to use.
I would say that if someone is looking for a general personal task manager that it's hard to go wrong with Todoist. It's a major player in the space for a reason, and it has all the features you'd expect like projects, tags, dates, and flexible recurring options. Not a big learning curve.
February 14, 2020

Todoist - Easy to Use and Implement Task and Project Management Tool!

We use Todoist to help organize projects, tasks and whom those tasks are assigned to. Before moving to Todoist we didn't have one solution to view all of these items within one screen and/or solution. We can also add details to each task such as attachments, notes, history and more.
  • Todoist is very easy to use and comes with a great knowledge base so implementation is a snap!
  • Todoist is available on almost any platform - Windows, Apple, mobile and more.
  • As your projects get larger and more complex Todoist almost seems too simple. It can be a bit more robust for this scenario.
  • On mobile when an update to iOS comes out there can be small issues related to Todoist but they are usually fixed pretty quickly.
Todoist is a great tool if you need something that is very easy to implement and train your employees on. When you need to track and list tasks and their details, Todoist fits the bill. Also, when you need to integrate with other tools Todoist does that easily with its open API.
February 12, 2020

Todoist - Simple and straightforward Task Manager

I use Todoist to keep track of both key business and personal projects that need to be done. It has been an excellent tool to get critical items for projects listed out and prioritized quickly. It is effortless to get something entered and then sort from the inbox into the appropriate project folder.
  • Good for quick lists.
  • Helps keep projects moving forward.
  • Free version is limiting on features.
  • Suitable for individuals, probably other options if you are looking for more team-oriented tools.
Todoist is very simple and straightforward to use. Easy to reschedule tasks to current or future date if it falls to past due task. Does an excellent job (on the paid version) of providing the tags, filters, and different project options.
March 13, 2020

Todoist is a great personal management tool

I am currently using this tool for personal task management outside of our primary project management tool (Jira). I wanted something simple to keep track of my most pressing to-do's, reminders and syncing with my email. I do recommend this tool to peers, but adoption across the organization if voluntary.
  • Clean UI
  • Syncs with Email
  • Room to expand on to-do with additional details
  • More customization to the UI
  • Folders
This is great for personal tracking of to-dos, it wouldn't be a great Project Management system for complex projects.
James E. Heyward CPA | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 03, 2020

A tool to structure your life!

I use Todoist to organize my business and personal tasks daily, we aren't using it throughout the entire organization, but I do use to plan assignments for staff. The software is excellent for organizing thoughts and implementing the GTD Method of task management.
  • Great repository for tasks
  • Good integration with calendar
  • Improve UI
  • Increase integrations
  • Todoist is great for organizing tasks across platforms and performing "brain dumps," so you can document something the moment you think about something.
  • The software is terrific for any list you need to keep - shopping, grocery, reading, errands. The recurring task feature is excellent as well for things you must due repeatedly.
Read James E. Heyward CPA's full review
Vin Campbell | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 18, 2020

A nice task manager for weekly use

I've used ToDoist as a task manager for my consulting firm, as well as personal use. Having all my tasks synced across all my devices was a key sell point to this solution. Also - having a simple method to add tasks to specific projects and prioritize the quickly and easily was important to me as well.
  • Multi-device sync - Sounds basic, but who can live without this?
  • Scheduling - Ss simple as typing "Tuesday at 7 pm" or something similar, and the system schedules the task properly, no date/time picking.
  • Outlook/Office 365 - Integration is seriously lacking/non-existent.
  • Task view - I'd like to see a weekly/monthly view.
I'd recommend ToDoist to folks looking for a simple task management tool that allows quick and easy task setup. I'd also recommend this tool to people who need a go-to tool for tasks they look to complete in a week's time as the outlook only goes as far as 7 days out. I didn't find this tool to be well suited for someone looking to manage far-reaching tasks (monthly schedule), or those who rely heavily on Outlook/Office 365. There are plenty of other task managers that do these things better.
Read Vin Campbell's full review
Mike Calabro | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 17, 2020

Todoist is the best of the best, as long as you pay for it

As a freelance photographer, I need to stay organized. I always have multiple projects going on all at once. I've been using Todoist for about three years and it has helped me to make sure that I get both my business and personal work done. I love how easily it syncs between my computer and phone.
  • I like how Todoist has the ability to create subtasks which helps to keep me on track of entire projects.
  • Todoist integrates with tons of apps including Google Assistant. If you are already part of the G Suite's world, this is a great option to have. I also love how it integrates with the Chrome browser. I use it a lot to mark websites that I want to read later.
  • The app is missing a lot of functionality unless you pay the monthly fee.
  • The reminders function doesn't work unless you are on the paid plan. A todo app without reminders is almost useless for me.
I did my due diligence when searching for a todo app. Todoist is the industry leader for a reason. It is very easy to add new tasks and subtasks using Google Assistant. That feature isn't flawless though, you have to ask Google Assistant to talk to Todoist before giving any commands. You really need to have the paid version to get the most out of the app. I start my day with a list of daily tasks. I still do this the old fashioned way by writing down my tasks for the day on a sheet of paper. It just seems easier for me to do it that way.
Read Mike Calabro's full review
Amber Callan | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 20, 2019

Best Platform for Personal Organization & Basic Business Project Management

Todoist is what I use to manage my daily tasks in my professional and personal life. While my organization uses a more advanced project management software (Teamwork Projects) to manage the big picture tasks and workflows of our office, I find Todoist's simplicity to be key in managing small tasks that pop up through emails or small internal tasks that we don't necessarily want to build out a big project for.
  • Simplicity & Ease of Use - Todoist is very user-friendly and simple to understand. They make it easy to add tasks with dates, comments, priorities, and attachments while organizing your projects. It's similar to creating a checklist!
  • Apps - I have Todoist on my phone, my MacBook and my iPad and they all sync seamlessly. I personally haven't run into any bugs using these apps for three years now and they're always pushing updates through. When I'm at a conference with my iPad, I can still see all of my tasks and when I'm on the go with my phone, I can see all my tasks too. I'm not tied to my work desktop!
  • Price - For $3 a month for personal use and $5 a month per user for business use, Todoist's pricing is very reasonable. They also offer a free version which is very nice as well! So if you're looking for a project management software with no frills at a low cost, Todoist could be your savior!
  • Task Dependencies - Particularly for business projects, I'd love if we could make one team member's task dependent on another's where we could say "do this task 3 days after another one is complete"
  • No Two Factor Authentication - For me personally, I like to keep all my passwords secure and backed up by two-factor authentication. Just wish this was something Todoist offered!
  • Adding Start Date & End Date - Sometimes I set an end date farther in the future, but I'm not alerted that I need to be working on it before then to achieve that due date. If I look at the "Next 7 Days" section, I can see upcoming tasks, but ideally, I'd love to be able to set a start date and an end date so it could appear in today's tasks without needing to be completed today.
I personally love Todoist. It helps me manage my day in the office and at home. Honestly, I don't know how I used to live without it. If you're personally looking for a simple checklist or project management software, there's nothing better than Todoist for simplicity, ease of use and price. If you're looking for a robust, advanced business project management software, there may be better options with advanced features that you want (we use Teamwork Projects, for example). I would say if you're a small team, then Todoist business could fit your needs while you grow. Once you get beyond a couple of members on your team, I could see how you may want advanced features that Todoist simply doesn't offer.
Read Amber Callan's full review
Tom Erdman | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 11, 2020

Todoist is the best to-do manager I've ever used!

Todoist is primarily used by a few folks in my department. Please take note, however - they're the most productive folks we have. Todoist obviously can't take all the credit for that, but it's a ringing endorsement. Todoist does a great job of making it easy to capture all the menial tasks that pop up on an IT department's radar but then get lost when a fire comes up.
  • Tasks can be quickly added via keyboard shortcut (literally, the Q key).
  • Easy predictive language makes scheduling super easy.
  • There are options for emailing or tagging to-do items with an email, but the Outlook one is currently deprecated.
  • It's only possible to see a history log and completed tasks in the premium version.
I've already recommended and converted several co-workers to this app. It works perfectly for adding tasks coming from email, brainstorming sessions, or just a normal workday. The ease with which you can enter tasks makes it so much easier to use than other options that I've come back to it on two different occasions after trying other methods. I can see cases where it isn't as appropriate - my wife is more likely to carry a notebook than a device, for instance, so it doesn't work as well. But given the integration and sync across devices, it's hard not to recommend for most folks for task tracking.
Read Tom Erdman's full review
Quentin Aisbett | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 09, 2020

Good User Experience. Simple To Use.

I am the only person within our agency that uses Todoist. I use it for work and personal task management. So whilst it doesn't directly address business problems, it helps me to feel better organized and on top of day-to-day tasks.
  • It's simplicity is key to me.
  • Given I use the free version, I have no issues with Todoist.
Todoist is well suited for the individual that is currently writing to-do lists on pieces of paper. The digital record and access to those important to-do items is a huge asset. On the flip side, if you're trying to use your access to larger project management tools for basic task management, Todoist can be a nice break from the complex features. It's not necessarily well-suited if you need to collaborate or are using it for more complex tasks.
Read Quentin Aisbett's full review
Michael Haberkern | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 19, 2019

Just try it!

Use it as a collobrative tool and share with team members and also use it at home for to-do lists and even shopping. It is a great tool, even the free version is great.
  • Categorize.
  • Organize.
  • Cost-based subscription.
  • Sharing with non-paid users.
This does everything you need. It is quick and even has an app so you can stay mobile. You can flag and categorize events. You can even add contacts and photos or uploads of quotes and what not. It has literally made me a better manager and person. I get complimented on my "memory" but I owe a lot of it to the app.
Read Michael Haberkern's full review
Danny Dickson | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 26, 2019

Affordable, flexible, cross-platform to-do lists.

Todoist is great for my personal to-do list. I like that it gives a compartmentalized view of my todos, though we use more robust business process management tools for managing projects and workflows across the organization. For strictly a to-do list, it is the best I've found. It allows multiple levels of nesting, and is more affordable and easier to use than OmniFocus.
  • Onboarding and complexity is kept to a minimum. Other platforms like OmniFocus were far too complex to figure out in comparison.
  • Flexibility was key as well. I was able to quickly set up personal and professional to-do's, without a lot of additional effort.
  • Their premium features were very affordable compared to similar solutions. OmniFocus is much more expensive and you have to buy separate desktop and mobile licenses.
  • Platform-independent. There are some very elegant mac-only solutions, but Todoist is available for Mac/PC and as a web app. This lets our whole team use it independently, although not together. Todoist isn't designed for major organizations, but does what it does very well.
  • Could have better large project management tools and collaboration tools, but as an individual task manager/to-do list, it's amazing and very flexible.
  • The basic app feature set is somewhat limited, but the upgrade is much more affordable than a few of its competitors/alternatives. For individual users and small teams, it can be very effective.
  • A bit of an extension of #2, but the notes feature would be a good thing to include in the free version of the app. May help to build trust/buy-in before a full commitment.
  • Its flexibility could be a downside compared to more structured apps like OmniFocus, but I personally appreciated it.
Todoist is a great tool to manage individual and family to-dos. Not as well equipped for organizations. I use it to manage personal and work to-dos, but not projects across our organization. There are more robust and feature-filled apps for that, but I don't think that is what Todoist was made for, so it's not a big downside.

I use it to make checklists of topics for one on ones with my direct reports, and even have a shared list that my project manager and I use to prioritize our discussion points before we start our 1:1s. This is a shared list that we both add to throughout the week as we prepare for our meeting. We both meet with our superior throughout the week, and this helps to keep us in sync without always meeting. We even have Alexa hooked up to it to create a shopping list using our voice on Alexa, which gets added to a Todoist list. I like this because ToDoist has an Apple Watch app, so you can walk around the grocery store glancing at your watch and marking items off instead of having your phone out or a pen and paper.

Read Danny Dickson's full review
Pamela Xeele | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 18, 2019

Todoist makes my to do list very easy and manageable.

It is used to keep people organized and on task. It is used to manage projects. Currently used by one user in hopes of launching across the department.
  • Reminder set to give user backup of areas to be covered when other staff is on vacation or out of the office.
  • Keeping projects on time with main lists managed in one spot
  • The referral feature where tasks can be send directly to the Todoist users project list
  • Organize project list by ranking of importance controlled by user
It works well for managing many projects that are collaborated by other people
It allows for reminding of tasks in several ways, either text or email
It is very user friendly
Read Pamela Xeele's full review
McKay Salisbury | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 10, 2020

Quick, easy to use, and isn't bogged down with extra features

I just used Todoist myself to help me jot down what I needed to accomplish that day. I would keep it open and make a list. Then I would order it and just go down the list throughout the day. It is basically a free replacement for a Post-It note. Its strength is that it is simple.
  • Simple to-do list.
  • Easy to order and organize to-do lists.
  • In the browser, there is no download required.
  • There are some functionality and advanced features they could add. I think it does its job though.
  • They should consider adding a board view.
When you just need to make a simple to-do list with due dates, Todoist is well-suited for that.
Read McKay Salisbury's full review
Samantha Crawford | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 12, 2019

Helps keep our tasks organized and helps us complete them on time!

Todoist helps me visualize the tasks I need to complete. It is used by me to help organize and keep track of my to-do list.
  • See exactly what tasks I need to do.
  • Organize tasks needing to be done.
  • Delegate tasks to others.
  • Would be great if we can put due dates in.
It is great to help organize tasks, but it is not great when working with a team because you cannot share or delegate tasks.
Read Samantha Crawford's full review
Andy Abramson | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 10, 2019

Why Todoist Does it For Me

We haven't networked Todoist, but I use it every day, and it's my task list, reminder checklist, and high-level task organizer. It integrates nicely with many of the services we use, and by pairing it with Zapier, it has become a really cool way to keep things on track. I used many other similar apps in the past, but I find Todoist to be the best for my needs.
  • Works on mobile and in the browser.
  • Has the ability to link to emails for follow up.
  • Syncing between devices is in near real-time.
  • Time zone calendar syncing needs to improve.
  • Deleted calendar items need to work better -- the issue is tied to Zapier I think.
  • There's a log-in issue when Chrome updates have to be better managed.
For people who keep lists, Todoist is the bomb. It's suited for anyone who needs to follow up on their own work and the work of others. The ability to "tag" tasks and group them together is a big plus for the organization. It can get a bit overwhelming, though, if you have too many. Label management needs to also "remind" the user of labels that have not been used in a while and ask to archive. That would be a nice hygiene feature to add.
Read Andy Abramson's full review
Craige Hardel | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 25, 2019

Decent productivity app for the focused

We've used Todoist to keep our tasks coordinated. Myself along with my assistant used it to stay on track with key tasks to be completed. It was essential especially as we're in different time zones and have strict deadlines to ensure our content goes out on time. Todoist helped not knowing who had to do what and also provided a system of keeping my employees accountable and on task.
  • Task lists and categories to categorize them
  • Deadlines for subtasks and big picture perspective on what needs to be completed
  • User interface - their dark mode feature is really awesome working at night and also across various screen sizes
  • Multi platform - they have apps natively across all platforms including linux which really suited me
  • Pricing: though convenient they should offer a monthly option especially if some of your employees aren't full time
  • Their tag structure and priorities features can be confusing. It is flexible but it can complicate setup
  • Two-way google calendar integration - they do have one but it can be clunky at times
Suited: Large teams working together on simple or complex tasks e.g. marketing campaign
Suited: On the go personal use
Suited: Business person and solopreneur looking to stay organized
Not suited: If you don't do work online
Not suited: Constantly on the move and not a tech enthusiast
Not suited: If you're more kanban and big picture oriented instead of to list minded
Read Craige Hardel's full review
Kristina Wiggins | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 21, 2019

Todoist is excellent

I absolutely cannot live without ToDoist for both my professional and personal life. When I’m choosing to-do list software it is imperative for me to have an app as well as a web-based version. Todoist also makes it easy and efficient to communicate, collaborate and work with my entire team.
  • Organization.
  • Team collaboration.
  • Mobile app + web-based.
  • Can't think of anything at this time!
Todoist is well suited for anyone that has multiple things going on both professionally and personally. It gives you the ability to stay on task and not forget about it. One of my favorite features is that I can take a screenshot of something I need to do and share it right to Todoist and create a task!
Read Kristina Wiggins's full review
Hernán Silva | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 16, 2019

The best free task management app

Personal task management integrated with business task management tools.
  • Multiplatform task management: A well-built task management app with outstanding support on PCs, mobile devices and the web.
  • Ease of use.
  • Backup options - As of the date of the review, there is no option to backup your tasks or export them outside the app. There are help pages pointing to a "Backup" tab that seems to no longer exist.
  • Collaboration - There are no options to collaborate on tasks or projects.
Todoist is well suited for small projects where a to-do list and a schedule is enough for most personal task management. It is not well suited for managing projects where several team members have to collaborate on a project or task.
Read Hernán Silva's full review
January 16, 2020

Love it! I use it every day!

As someone with lots of clients, I rely on Todoist daily to give me prompts on what to do and when to do it. I find it most useful when I have to send a client an email but I'm too busy (so I put that task in for later) and when I have to follow up on a client. I also love that with the Premium version, I can schedule in the exact time and date for a prompt to remind me to do something. I also like the gamification of it, where I get points for completing tasks. I'm now a Karma Master. :)
  • Gamification. Todoist makes it a little fun to challenge and beat yourself.
  • The Todoist Mac App is a godsend. I don't like to open browsers or a new tab for a to-do list. It impacts workflow. I would rather have a native app that opens independently of Chrome.
  • I love that the whole interface is simple and easy to work with, and quite intuitive.
  • I would like a calendar view of the tasks that I've set times and dates to. I think that will increase productivity as I would have an overall, visual view of what to do, when to do it and when to stop doing it. Right now, I'm doing tasks when I feel like doing them, or force myself to do them at a certain time. I certainly would like to cultivate the habit of looking at the calendar, seeing a task there and just doing it without thinking about it too much.
If you constantly need reminders to do things and you're not very organised, Todoist is just the thing. I can't think of a scenario where Todoist wouldn't help an entrepreneur/business owner immensely.

Task Management (53)
9.2
Resource Management (24)
Gantt Charts (4)
Scheduling (40)
Workflow Automation (20)
Team Collaboration (38)
Support for Agile Methodology (17)
Support for Waterfall Methodology (13)
Document Management (11)
Email integration (35)
Mobile Access (50)
9.4
Timesheet Tracking (5)
Change request and Case Management (5)
Budget and Expense Management (4)
Quotes/estimates (4)
Invoicing (2)
Project & financial reporting (3)
Integration with accounting software (4)
6.5

About Todoist

Doist, a company boasting an entirely globally distributed workforce, offers Todoist, a project management platform emphasizing the needs of a distributed workforce. The application emphasizes tracking events over time with advanced closed task and progress reporting, with custom graphics for sharing or ease of review.