Doist, a company boasting an entirely globally distributed workforce, offers Todoist, a project management platform emphasizing the needs of a distributed workforce. The application emphasizes tracking events over time with advanced closed task and progress reporting, with custom graphics for sharing or ease of review.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/uR/qa/7LGDD3ZG7AKC.JPEGTodoist: Slimmed-Down and Simple Task ManagementTodoist is being used by every full-time team member at our software-as-a-service (SaaS) startup in the nonprofit space. We use it for daily and weekly tasks that we perform individually, so as to set deadlines and priorities, along with assigning one another tasks that relate to our individual work in each department.,Todoist is great at automatically setting you up to easily create deadlines and priorities on a few clicks. This takes away the guesswork of poor user interface design and makes for more efficient workdays! Todoist makes it very easy to see things in a timeline manner on the main dashboard, which is nice when looking at a week's or month's work. Todoist sends daily reminders of what you have on your plate for the day, as well as which tasks are overdue, which is exactly the daily summary I like to have.,Todoist does not make it easy to find a "calendar view" of the tasks-at-hand. I like being able to scroll through lists of my "Today" tasks, "The Next 7 Days" tasks, etc., but I would like to have a clearer feature where I can see a calendar of how many tasks I have on each date, and how many Priority 1 versus Priority 3 or Priority 4 tasks I have, etc., in more calendar or graph-based visuals. Todoist does not necessarily allow for automatic sharing of tasks, which I would prefer in such a small team at this point in time. You can share tasks one-by-one, but I think there could be strength to setting a default where you inverse the model and allow people to hide tasks as individual-view only, versus just allowing others to see what is on your plate. I think this would foster more collaboration and allow others to see what you have on your plate that they may be able to help with, too! Todoist doesn't have a quick-view to see which other team members have set up Todoist, and how many tasks they have as you scroll through any calendar or list views. This would be really helpful for team capacity planning and covering or leveling out work loads.,9,Todoist has helped us stay on top of important deliverables after meetings, leading us to hit our deadlines on a more timely basis using the deadline and priority features while on our laptops and phones during calls. Todoist allows me to quickly assign others on my team a task, so that we are able to speak, comment, and complete things more collaboratively, thus letting us fall behind less often on important customer objectives. Todoist helps me quickly re-sort my priority lists and deadlines based on new information, requests, and customer updates on a daily basis, which helps me save manual time doing so on other software or paper-based products, and saves me several minutes every day in my work.,Trello and Asana,Zendesk, Camtasia, SlackThe best To-Do software on the market, hands downTodoist is currently being used by individuals within my company, but not by the company in whole. As a different to do application was selected for our department before my arrival, I had no say in which was selected. Instead, Todoist is used by myself and a few other co-workers individually to manage our daily tasks at work and in our personal lives. Some users use the free version, but some of us choose to purchase the premium version to add the additional notes, categorization, and tagging. In general, Todoist allows me to maintain a clear and precise to-do list within Outlook, on my mobile device, and in a standalone app on my computer. The ease of use, integrations and cross-platform ability allows me to add tasks and complete them quickly and easily no matter where I am or what I am working on. This is where other to-do software platforms have not worked as well for me. I am not struggling with the technology to create and complete simple tasks.,Cross platform Easy to learn and use Can add tasks from emails different ways Premium version allows notes on tasks to give context when needed Dark mode! Keyboard shortcuts which are easy to learn and make adding tasks a breeze Affordable pricing model,Would like a non-Google android version for non-Google android devices (Amazon Fire Tablets) Would like an option to create follow-up task upon completion of a task Logic based tasks (i.e. when task 1 is complete, then activate task 2) Time based priorities. Set priority 1 after 6PM, but only priority 4 before 6PM,10,Todoist allows me to get things done quickly and effectively. Todoist saves time with great software design. I am not spending time using poorly designed software. Rescheduling tasks is also a time saver with auto reschedule.,Trello, Smartsheet, Asana, Wunderlist, Basecamp and Bitrix24Todoist for To Do-ersI am the only one that I know of that uses Todoist at my organization. I use Todoist as a personal organization tool to keep tasks organized for my job and make sure that nothing falls through the cracks. It addresses the business problem of having to keep track of a lot of moving pieces. In finance, letting something slip through the cracks can cause some major problems so it's important that tasks are managed and kept on top of.,The e-mail to Todoist function is super helpful The accumulation of "karma" points is a good motivator to get stuff done Todoist makes it easy to nest tasks,I would love if the e-mail to Todoist feature was available on other plans than the paid one as keeping my inbox clean is my #1 reason for using an external to do list organizer,7,Todoist has ultimately been a neutral for me. While I like some of it's features, like e-mail to Todoist or timetracking, there just wasn't enough there to justify purchasing a Pro subscription. I ended up finding similar solutions through Google's Task & Keep products.,Trello, Airtable, Basecamp, Flow and Quip,Slack, Quip, TrelloA no-brainer for basic task managementTodoist is used by my department, Product and Marketing. We're using the free version as a basic task manager in conjunction more spreadsheet-based project management tracking. It allows us to stay on top of the minute of our projects more easily (grouping them by project in Todoist) and calendar them effectively but flexibly.,It's really easy to create new tasks, categorize them, and schedule them. The scheduling is also very flexible. If I don't get everything on my list done for the day (let's be honest, that happens most of the time), it's easy to quickly reschedule my remaining tasks for the next day or the next week. Todoist has really solid apps for desktop and mobile. I use the apps for Mac OS and Android. They sync quickly and the design and usability between the two is very similar. I didn't have to learn drastically different flows to be able to use them both. Notifications are appropriately persistent. I get a mobile push notification everyday of how many tasks I have that are due (or overdue as the case may be). It holds me to account and forces me to deal with the tasks I have on my list, whether to complete them or reschedule them. Nice integration with Slack. I like the ability to set myself tasks from Slack since I'm in that interface quite a bit at work.,Add more functionality to the Slack integration. I would love to pull up my task list using a Slack command and check off completed items there. Even if I couldn't mark items off, I would still love to be able to pull up my task list for the day from within Slack. Currently, I think the only thing I can do is create new tasks. Organizing project folders is pretty tricky. When I was setting up sub-folders, they would get all out of order very easily. It took me a while to figure out where to drag and drop a folder if I wanted to roll it up under a top-level folder. I would love a calendar view of my tasks, so I can see which days have a certain number of tasks and plan accordingly. The list view is fine, but the calendar grid would be useful for planning and cross-referencing with my Google Calendar schedule.,9,It is difficult to quantify the impact on our business, but I have noticed a huge increase in my personal time efficiency by using Todoist to manage my task list. It takes very little time to add a new task in the moment it comes to me and to account for my task list throughout the day. If I have to reschedule certain tasks, I can do that in seconds.,Slack, EvernoteTask management made easy!Todoist is a task management software that allows you to assign tasks to individuals with deadlines and to various lists, as well as level of importance. Todoist is great for businesses and organizations alike. Users love the functionality to create personalized to-do lists as well. It helps all tasks lists to be organized within one app so everyone is on the same page with current happenings.,Love the ability to make various task lists including professional, home, shared, etc. Todoist has great options to assign recurring actions that have to be completed on a schedule. It is great that you can assign tasks to other people in order to save communication time!,Todoist could improve its notification functionality to include push notifications on the iPhone instead of having to go to the notification center to get them. The desktop app is a little bit more glitchy than the mobile version. The paid version offers several more features but if cost is a hindrance, this could be a barrier to some.,10,Todoist has helped us increase efficiency making the workflow process much faster from the time of project conception until completion.,Basecamp
Todoist

Todoist Reviews

Todoist
Filter 38 vetted Todoist reviews and ratings

Adam Moreschi profile photo
January 08, 2019

Review: "Todoist: Slimmed-Down and Simple Task Management"

• Todoist is great at automatically setting you up to easily create deadlines and priorities on a few clicks. This takes away the guesswork of poor user interface design and makes for more efficient workdays!
  • Todoist makes it very easy to see things in a timeline manner on the main dashboard, which is nice when looking at a week's or month's work.
  • Todoist sends daily reminders of what you have on your plate for the day, as well as which tasks are overdue, which is exactly the daily summary I like to have.
  • Todoist does not make it easy to find a "calendar view" of the tasks-at-hand. I like being able to scroll through lists of my "Today" tasks, "The Next 7 Days" tasks, etc., but I would like to have a clearer feature where I can see a calendar of how many tasks I have on each date, and how many Priority 1 versus Priority 3 or Priority 4 tasks I have, etc., in more calendar or graph-based visuals.
  • Todoist does not necessarily allow for automatic sharing of tasks, which I would prefer in such a small team at this point in time. You can share tasks one-by-one, but I think there could be strength to setting a default where you inverse the model and allow people to hide tasks as individual-view only, versus just allowing others to see what is on your plate. I think this would foster more collaboration and allow others to see what you have on your plate that they may be able to help with, too!
  • Todoist doesn't have a quick-view to see which other team members have set up Todoist, and how many tasks they have as you scroll through any calendar or list views. This would be really helpful for team capacity planning and covering or leveling out work loads.
Todoist is nice in that it is very easy and straightforward to use, which is one of the main pieces that people need in order to adopt the use of a new tool across an organization. It is very clear on how to create and complete tasks, and how to set labels, archive tasks, and assign tasks to others. So for those that are thrown off by lengthy spreadsheet project management models, Todoist is a great tool to consider, even for a trial period or demo!

Todoist would not be for someone that wants to plan out projects at-length with more typical Project Management-related software, whether particular to software development like sprints in Atlassian's JIRA, or in design or business roles in a highly visual and sharing-focused program like Monday.com. In these types of programs, you have a lot more visibility and project-focused visualization and feature sets that are required, whereas Todoist's strength really lies in getting people away from paper lists that have you constantly flipping back and forth between the pages, and get you into the digital space to keep track of things for people before, during, and after meetings, or on top of assignments that you have to hit by a particular deadline.
Read Adam Moreschi's full review
Benjamin Hale profile photo
November 28, 2018

Todoist Review: "The best To-Do software on the market, hands down"

• Cross platform
  • Easy to learn and use
  • Can add tasks from emails different ways
  • Premium version allows notes on tasks to give context when needed
  • Dark mode!
  • Keyboard shortcuts which are easy to learn and make adding tasks a breeze
  • Affordable pricing model
  • Would like a non-Google android version for non-Google android devices (Amazon Fire Tablets)
  • Would like an option to create follow-up task upon completion of a task
  • Logic based tasks (i.e. when task 1 is complete, then activate task 2)
  • Time based priorities. Set priority 1 after 6PM, but only priority 4 before 6PM
Todoist is a wonderful tool for those who work off of checklists and who can keep going back to a single list to keep track of what to do next. Todoist is also a good tool for those with project work, as you can put all tasks that are needed for a project within said project and still give due dates, so they show up on the days they need to be worked on.
The business edition is great for those who will need to delegate tasks to others, especially with the notes section to pass on important information.

It is not so great for seeing a bigger picture of the workload schedule, as other Kanban or Gantt chart schedule programs would be.
Read Benjamin Hale's full review
Chloe Sayers profile photo
August 28, 2018

User Review: "Todoist for To Do-ers"

• The e-mail to Todoist function is super helpful
  • The accumulation of "karma" points is a good motivator to get stuff done
  • Todoist makes it easy to nest tasks
  • I would love if the e-mail to Todoist feature was available on other plans than the paid one as keeping my inbox clean is my #1 reason for using an external to do list organizer
Todoist is great for basic task organization. I don't think it does collaboration very well - the tool is designed so you can tag other people in your tasks and assign tasks for them. However, once you start having multiple people in one software solution, it moves from being an agile and easily usable task management system to a rather clunky project management solution. If you need something for your own tasks and reminders, Todoist is great.
Read Chloe Sayers's full review
Josh Summerhays profile photo
December 20, 2018

Todoist Review: "A no-brainer for basic task management"

• It's really easy to create new tasks, categorize them, and schedule them. The scheduling is also very flexible. If I don't get everything on my list done for the day (let's be honest, that happens most of the time), it's easy to quickly reschedule my remaining tasks for the next day or the next week.
  • Todoist has really solid apps for desktop and mobile. I use the apps for Mac OS and Android. They sync quickly and the design and usability between the two is very similar. I didn't have to learn drastically different flows to be able to use them both.
  • Notifications are appropriately persistent. I get a mobile push notification everyday of how many tasks I have that are due (or overdue as the case may be). It holds me to account and forces me to deal with the tasks I have on my list, whether to complete them or reschedule them.
  • Nice integration with Slack. I like the ability to set myself tasks from Slack since I'm in that interface quite a bit at work.
  • Add more functionality to the Slack integration. I would love to pull up my task list using a Slack command and check off completed items there. Even if I couldn't mark items off, I would still love to be able to pull up my task list for the day from within Slack. Currently, I think the only thing I can do is create new tasks.
  • Organizing project folders is pretty tricky. When I was setting up sub-folders, they would get all out of order very easily. It took me a while to figure out where to drag and drop a folder if I wanted to roll it up under a top-level folder.
  • I would love a calendar view of my tasks, so I can see which days have a certain number of tasks and plan accordingly. The list view is fine, but the calendar grid would be useful for planning and cross-referencing with my Google Calendar schedule.
Todoist is a no-brainer tool if you're looking for a task manager and you're not sure if you're ready to pay yet. The free tool is very powerful and provides great functionality. It's easy to learn the basics very quickly and offers flexibility for a power-user like a Getting Things Done practitioner.

It compares favorably with other tools in it's space for collaboration as well. Assigning tasks to others is easy, including from within the Slack integration.
Read Josh Summerhays's full review
Kalyn Hoffman profile photo
November 23, 2018

Todoist Review: "Task management made easy!"

• Love the ability to make various task lists including professional, home, shared, etc.
  • Todoist has great options to assign recurring actions that have to be completed on a schedule.
  • It is great that you can assign tasks to other people in order to save communication time!
  • Todoist could improve its notification functionality to include push notifications on the iPhone instead of having to go to the notification center to get them.
  • The desktop app is a little bit more glitchy than the mobile version.
  • The paid version offers several more features but if cost is a hindrance, this could be a barrier to some.
Todoist is great for teams of all sizes! You can add as many individuals to lists as you'd like. However, if the cost for premium users is not an option for a business or organization, they may be frustrated by the limitations of the free version. Overall it's a great product suited for nearly anyone!
Read Kalyn Hoffman's full review
Paul Weber profile photo
September 14, 2018

Todoist Review: "Mid-level project management for small teams and individuals"

Todoist is used within my department by myself and direct reports to manage our own internal workload across thirteen individuals. We have a handful of integrations allowing certain customer requests to be entered and assigned automatically, as well as managing a review and approval workflow for certain tasks and users. We track all projects and individual tasks within Todoist and use it daily as the central task management system.
  • Creates tasks easily using human language
  • Shares tasks and comments simply through email or desktop/mobile app
  • Allows new users to see tasks and priorities clearly without much of a learning curve
  • Only offers due dates, not defer or "start working on" dates
  • Some icons are too low contrast and incredibly hard to see
  • Fluctuation in paid vs premium features can make it hard to decide what account type is best for you
Todoist is great for an individual or small group with basic project management needs. We had used other simpler products in the past that left us missing features we needed and dropped a more complex product because it was overwhelming and distracting. Todoist is a great middle ground, particularly with strong cross-platform and web apps.
Read Paul Weber's full review
December 12, 2018

Todoist Review: "Great task management app that I use to organize and track my to-dos"

I use Todoist myself to organize my daily and weekly to-dos. It's a pretty simple app that offers support for iOS, Android and Mac OS as well. I use it to create tasks and sub-tasks for me and also organize my tasks in projects which help me to stay more focused on the project I am working on at that moment.
  • Todoist's overall design and user experience is very good, I really like it.
  • It's very simple and straightforward to use it.
  • I like when I can type e.g. today or tomorrow in the to-do text and it will understand that it's a deadline for the to-do.
  • I wish more premium features would be available for free users.
  • Would be great to have a better UI on mobile apps, as it's sometimes not that convenient to switch between projects on the mobile app.
Todoist is a great tool for a personal use. You can use it also as a freelancer or as a team member inside your team. I don't think it will be very convenient to use Todoist in larger organizations, but maybe I am wrong.
December 20, 2018

Todoist Review: "The next level to do list"

Currently as our company is growing I am exploring a number of project management solutions; Todoist being one. I have experience using this tool as a team at another company. There we used it as an internal tool to set tasks for individuals and breaking them out for specific clients. Within these tasks we would use the due date functionality and mentioning team mates in order to keep track of the progress on each item on the list. Currently at my company it is just being used on a personal basis with no team collaboration.
  • Simple, easy to use
  • Quickly organize thoughts
  • Ability to flag and organize as you wish
  • Easily create and assign tasks to members of your team. Set due dates and quickly be able to identify which tasks are approaching the due dates and those that are past due.
  • The layout of the “lists” are not the most aesthetically pleasing. Being able to customize the view would be preferred.
  • The ability to separate out clients in my case is not too intuitive. Setting up the projects seems to be the best way but doesn't allow many layers such as additional tasks below each client aka project.
Todoist is a great easy tool to use. I have used it both in a team setting where items get assigned to one another and as an individual. Overall expertise has been strong.
Chris Tuley profile photo
June 21, 2018

Review: "Todoist is a great, free to use, to do list manager."

I personally use Todoist to manage my to-do lists. I've been using the application for over 2 years. I use it primarily on my personal iPhone and Mac. I have not used via the web or on Android or PC. I use Todoist to manage my to-do list for each day as well as putting into dos for future dates.
  • Easy to use interface
  • Ability to put in to-dos for a future day
  • Daily and weekly goals help you achieve more
  • Premium features are not explained well
  • Mac app does not sync well
Todoist is best used for an individual to do lists. While it can be used in collaboration with other Todoist users, I personally think it works best when used by a single person. The ability to use Todoist on any device is a huge plus and makes it easier to use.
Read Chris Tuley's full review
Benjamin E. Jerew profile photo
May 16, 2018

Review: "Todoist Keeps My To-Do List Accessible Everywhere"

As a freelance writer, I need to keep track of about a dozen clients and projects that change from week to week. A calendar is a great place to start, but I found some calendar and task management solutions lacking. Todoist features two-way synchronization with Google Calendar and is available as a webpage and as an Android app (iOS, too), so I can view and organize tasks wherever I am.
  • Two-way Google Calendar synchronization helps me set up tasks by date and time, visible in-app and in-calendar.
  • Cross-platform availability synchronizes on the fly so my list is always up to date, no matter what device I'm looking at.
  • Labels, colors, and priority ratings are used to organize each item and visualize the day and week ahead.
  • I like the Chrome browser extension, which allows me to add a webpage as a task.
  • I think that Todoist should automatically sort its inbox chronologically. One can drag and drop or choose a sort, but there appears to be no default sort.
  • The productivity tracker allows you to set goals for tasks completed, which is interesting, but doesn't add much to the experience for me.
I am using only the free version right now, and only to organize my own projects, but Todoist seems like it might be useful for teams of any size. I'm sure that Todoist is a lot more powerful than what I am using it for. It seems like it might be especially suited for someone managing a team.
Read Benjamin E. Jerew's full review
Danielle Huntley profile photo
March 01, 2018

User Review: "Todoist Keeps This Busy Lawyer on Task"

I use Todoist for all of my firm's task management needs. As a busy lawyer with many clients, it's important that I have a nimble and flexible task management system. A lot of task management systems are very clunky - Todoist is not. It's intuitive, flexible and fast. I have to stay on top of my tasks and Todoist helps me do that.
  • Easy hierarchical organization
  • Fast task adding
  • Easy to date tasks and schedule reminders
  • I wish there was a way to re-deadline multiple tasks at once
  • Sometimes the drag and drop nesting structure can get a little screwy
It is suited for folks who are tech savvy, need to collaborate and like automation. The ability integrate Todoist with my practice management platform is crucial. It plays very nicely with Zapier integrations. It definitely follows the KISS principle which I appreciate. It's not over thought and it works smoothly on desktop and mobile.
Read Danielle Huntley's full review
Lenny Wasserman profile photo
May 18, 2018

User Review: "Me & Todoist"

I have used it on and off personally. I keep switching between similar apps because I can't seem to find the one that works the best.

The recurring task feature and natural language support are pretty good; the notes/comments feature is inconsistent in its implementation. It takes work to set up when following a system (GTD, 1MTD, etc.) Wish it used Start Dates.
  • Recurring dates
  • Date input
  • Notes/labels
Not the best for approaches using subtasks.
Read Lenny Wasserman's full review
August 07, 2018

Review: "Want to be crazy productive? Drink the Todoist Kool-aid"

We use Todoist for personal task management and to keep projects synced. Todoist is always open, typically in my browser since I like to use it in tandem with Toggl, and guides my day from start to finish, both professionally and personally. I love the ability to add a task inside Gmail, tying my next step to the message it concerns. The interface is clean and modern, unlike a number of other solutions I've tried in the past, and adding a task and assigning teammates and dates is as simple as it should be. It's robust without being complicated.
  • Quickly add tasks with as much detail as needed
  • Integrates with tools like Gmail and Toggl for added functionality
  • Classifying tasks and projects using labels and filters gives you the flexibility needed to create a system that works for you
  • I wish it was easier to skip an instance of a recurring task when you're out of office or going on vacation. Instead, the only way I've found to hack around it is to change the start date each time with the every! ____ command
  • I'd like a calendar or side-by-side that let's me see the number of tasks across a given week, month, etc. That would help for planning purposes
  • It would be nice to see added insights about my productivity—days that are typically the most productive, types of tasks that typically take longest (integration with Toggl) or are postponed most frequently
Todoist is perfect for managing your own workflow, especially with recurring tasks that can't be automated but also don't deserve to take up valuable brain space worrying over. It's also great for syncing with other teammates, especially when you have simple tasks that you want to see the status of and communicate about in the same space. Todoist isn't a fully blown project management tool, and it doesn't bill itself that way. Instead, it allows you to manage your professional to-dos and your personal to-dos in a clean, simple, and downright joyful interface. Todoist honestly doesn't feel like work.
May 18, 2018

Todoist Review: "a life saver!"

Todoist helps me manage my morning meetings. It let me remind about the upcoming tasks and I meet with customers accordingly.
  • Clean interface
  • Accessible on multiple platforms
  • Effective for project tracking
  • One thing that would make it better is a pop up ''alert'' style notification for when tasks are due or reminders come up. status bar notifications are somewhat easy to overlook
HandyTodoist is the perfect tool to use when you're running a very busy schedule, like in my line of work it can be really hard to keep track of all the different tasks that I need to get done and that is when Todoist comes in.
June 28, 2018

Todoist Review: "You can get it all done!"

Todoist is a great task management software that our entire company uses to delegate, complete, and organize our to-do lists.
  • You can easily delegate tasks on Todoist to your employees
  • It is easy to tag level of importance for task delegation as you can assign a due date with each task created
  • You can have multiple lists both professional and personal, it makes it great to organize tasks on any level!
  • Todoist could improve its notification features. Right now, task notifications only show up in the banner on your iPhone but not as a push notifications.
Todoist is a great option for nearly any type of company or organization. I can't think of a scenario where it wouldn't be a good choice.
Austin Smith profile photo
February 20, 2018

Todoist Review: "My absolute favorite task management tool!"

Todoist is being used across our organization as a way of managing tasks and collaborating with others within a project. The Getting Things Done approach has been crucial for us as we are getting our consulting firm off the ground. We don't let anything fall through the cracks whether they be ideas or tasks within projects, and that has largely been due to the functionality of Todoist.
  • Todoist allows us to work very quickly in tasking out projects.
  • Todoist has made our meetings much more streamlined in that we are able to stay focused and accomplish everything we need to accomplish.
  • Todoist syncs with our calendars and gives us all a good picture of how our weeks are laid out and how we can support one another.
  • Adding more collaborative function would be very helpful. I would love to be able to add two people to one task.
  • I would love to be able to have more than 200 projects. I work in a variety of fields and have projects in each one. The cap has been limiting at times.
  • A chat feature would be really helpful in collaboration. Comments are helpful, but a team chat would be great!
I think that the size of the company would directly determine whether or not Todoist would be right for the company. Larger companies with departments and divisions might find it difficult to utilize Todoist well. On the flip side, I think Todoist is great for small businesses and startups. It functions well and has everything someone might need to stay organized within projects.
Read Austin Smith's full review

2.0
Scheduling (10)
Workflow Automation (8)
Team Collaboration (14)
Support for Agile Methodology (7)
Support for Waterfall Methodology (4)
Document Management (5)
Email integration (12)
Mobile Access (14)
Timesheet Tracking (2)
9.5
Change request and Case Management (2)
9.5
Budget and Expense Management (1)
Project & financial reporting (1)
Integration with accounting software (1)

About Todoist