Toggl Reviews

Alex Pegg | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 18, 2020

Time management when every second counts!

Pros and Cons

• User interface - Intuitive, simple, and easy to switch between tasks and edit time if necessary.
  • Desktop app - Stays on top so no switching between screens to toggle time on and off.
  • Aggregated reports - Generates easy to read, comprehensive reports for clients.
Read Alex Pegg's full review
Genie Forkner | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 17, 2020

A full featured timekeeping application

• Timer is easy to use.
  • Ability to organize work by client and/or project.
  • Reporting tools allow us to show our work/hours to our clients in real time.
  • I'd love to see this tool as an Adobe plugin to be used within the Adobe Creative Suite as a project timer for graphic design work.
Read Genie Forkner's full review
December 19, 2019

Toggl - Project Time Tracking Made Easy!

Pros and Cons

• Very easy to learn - the interface is simple!
  • Works on multiple platforms - Chrome extensions, mobile and browser.
  • There's no ability to invoice so if you need that you'll have to integrate another program.
  • Having employees use a uniform text for tasks and projects for easier reporting can be difficult.
March 11, 2020

Easy to use time tracking tool

Pros and Cons

• Can manually schedule time or use timer function.
  • Easy to create teams.
  • Easy to create/label various projects.
  • Wish reminders that it was left on came earlier.
  • Reporting function can be a little confusing.
Helen Valenzuela | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 06, 2019

Can't go wrong with Toggl

Pros and Cons

• Very easy to set up and use.
  • Remembers phrases you've used before to describe your work.
  • Time entries are easily edited.
  • When I tried to use Toggl for 2 different companies, it had a difficult time distinguishing which I wanted to use.
  • In the summary tab, you can only see one week of time. You can switch between certain time frames but can't see the entire month at once because it only keeps track of time by week.
Read Helen Valenzuela's full review
November 08, 2019

Toggl: save time tracking your time

Pros and Cons

• Toggl's interface makes it simple to quickly start and stop a timer or switch to a new project. Just a few clicks and you're done.
  • Toggl has a popup when your computer has been idle for a while that asks you if you want to keep that time, allocate it to a new project, or discard that time, but continue tracking time to a project you were working on before the idle time. This makes is super simple to deal with small interruptions that you don't want to track toward a project.
  • Toggl also helps you by sending email reminders if you leave your timer running when you leave for the day. You also get alerts on your phone if you have the app installed and it allows you to quickly turn the timer off from the app if you don't have your computer close by.
  • When I forget to track time and need to edit multiple entries at once, it would be nice to have a 'quick edit' mode where it converts to more of a spreadsheet set up where you could just type in the missing value rather than use the little edit popup for each individual entry.
September 07, 2019

Toggl is a great way to keep associates in check

Pros and Cons

• Switching between jobs and starting and stopping time, or having the ability to track concurrently, is vital. No other application does this as well as Toggl.
  • Being able to save a state is easy, and the aggregated data from all the users helps keep track of associate workflow. This is very vital to keeping our company competitive.
  • The GUI could use an upgrade.
  • I would like better hotkey functionality, so I don't have to use my mouse as much.
Sarah Whiteford | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 31, 2019

Toggl is a great product for disciplined users

Pros and Cons

• Integrations to regularly used client-facing software e.g. Xero for accountants
  • Amusing blogs and customer engagement tools keep us coming back
  • Brilliant reporting
  • Always more integrations: specifically we would love one with Smartsheet
Read Sarah Whiteford's full review
Mike Wittenstein | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 20, 2018

Toggl tracks your time but its greatest value is putting you in control and putting money in your pocket

Pros and Cons

• Toggl makes it super easy to identify your start and end times, total times, and tasks.
  • Toggl lets you track time by project and sub-project.
  • With one of the paid versions, Toggl lets you set rates, ties to your calendar for automatic time billing, send you reminders, and helps you measure project and individual profitability. We will probably buy into a paid program later in 2019. We are big fans of Toggl.
  • Occasionally, I find that I have to enter time from earlier in the week. It takes more clicks to do that…
  • I would love it if Toggl would work with Alexa, Siri, or Google. If it did, I would be able to say something like "Hey, Bill two hours for the ABC project this afternoon from 2 to 5" or "remind me tonight to enter my time for client XYZ." That would let me capture more hours and be more mobile.
Read Mike Wittenstein's full review
Bryan Buford | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 18, 2018

Great software for customized time tracking

Pros and Cons

• Toggl integrates smoothly across multiple devices. I can seamlessly move from the field on my phone to the office on my computer and utilize Toggl the entire time.
  • It has great customization. Setting up multiple customers in a variety of ways is easy and quick to do. We haven't found something we needed that we couldn't set up.
  • The reporting is clean and informative. Reports can be generated for multiple criteria.
  • We haven't spent a lot of time on the team aspect of the software, but the little we've seen we wish would be a little easier to figure out.
  • The desktop version of the software seems to have more limitations than any other aspect. Both the mobile app and the chrome app are extremely smooth and easy, but the desktop seems to not work quite as well.
Read Bryan Buford's full review
Matt Heerema | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 29, 2018

Seamless time tracking with great reporting

Pros and Cons

• Lightweight interface. It is very simple to start and stop tracking.
  • Categorization, tags, projects, and clients. Make it easy to categorize time tracking and pull accurate reports
  • Reporting: their reporting system makes it simple to slice and dice our tracked data to get precisely the intel we need.
  • Integrations: it is missing integration with our accounting software (Xero) - this is a mild pain point, but would make a great product, ideal.
  • Interface design of desktop app. The desktop app is the best of any time tracking software out there, but it lacks the polish of the web and iOS interfaces.
Read Matt Heerema's full review
Shannon Bronico | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 17, 2018

Toggl: Simple and easy to learn for to track time for data analytics and billing

Pros and Cons

• Toggl allows me to generate reports based on filters such as by client, by project, by staff member/user and by date range. This allows me to get billable hour reports for invoicing clients who have retainer fee agreements every other week.
  • Toggl has a workspace feature, where several users can share the same sets of projects and clients. Aside from billing clients, this is useful in that it provides data which we can analyze to see how time is being spent on a particular task. This allows us to see areas where productivity can be increased, such as decreasing nonbillable hours spent by staff who have larger caseloads or to decrease hours spent on tasks that can be automated by implementation of a system or new tool. It also helps to identify where a staff member may need extra support or training if a particular task takes an unusually long amount of time for the staff member to complete.
  • The ability to see other staff members recent work also allows all staff members to know who is handling a particular client's matter at a given time, or to see what the most recent stage of casework completed was. This information helps the staff communicate more easily if one person has a question about a particular client or matter. By looking at Toggl, any staff member can identify who would be the best person to relay information or client questions to.
  • When I generate a report based on a long date range (as opposed to a single day or week), Toggl provides logged time entries per project, user, or client, according to my search. Each time entry in the report is itemized and includes a description. However, the date and time per entry is not generated with this data. When I create invoices, I have to manually find what day the work was done.
Read Shannon Bronico's full review
Jerry Janes | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 16, 2018

Toggl - Perfect for juggling multiple clients

Pros and Cons

• Differentiate hours by Project and Client.
  • Run Reports by Summary, Detailed and/or Weekly basis, into multiple formats.
  • Add keywords to time entries with tags, allowing sorting entries in reports.
  • The only recommendation I'd give is for each time entry to be not only longer, allowing for specifics, but also RTF, in particular HTML, expanding each entry from their currently static state to more dynamic. This would negate the need to link to Google Docs within Toggl.
Read Jerry Janes's full review
Stefan Boeykens | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 01, 2018

Log in, start entering data, get insights in who is doing what...

• Easy web-based time entry
  • Good reporting and summaries
  • Nice dashboard views, easy to configure
  • The 'automatic' tracking is not used by us. The idea is OK, but that doesn't fit with our way of working
  • The keyboard navigation works fairly well. But automatic spelling corrector and our non-US keyboard layout hinder the typing a bit
  • Some features require additional payment
Read Stefan Boeykens's full review
Benjamin E. Jerew | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 07, 2018

Toggl Keeps Me Motivated and Tracks All My Tasks!

Pros and Cons

• Cross-platform Toggl'ing helps me keep track of tasks at home and on the go.
  • The website shows charts and graphs to help me see where my time is spent.
  • It's just easy to use. Click, add a couple notes, and you're done.
  • Easy to organize by client, project, and task.
  • Freemium covers most of my needs.
  • Doesn't include a screenshot feature.
  • Limited Freemium features.
Read Benjamin E. Jerew's full review
Wera Michalska | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 01, 2018

Definitely the best time tracker out there !

Pros and Cons

• Getting weekly reports via e-mail or sharing public reports links are great with Toggl.
  • Toggl is supporting many desktop programs like windows/Mac/Linux etc.
  • Toggl always asks you that you were inactive for sometimes and asks you what to do with it.
  • Can be a bit spammy with tracking notifications.
  • It sometimes has connectivity issues and it then sometimes adds duplicate entries.
  • If you forgot to stop the time, it's a little bit clumsy to change the time.
Read Wera Michalska's full review
Quentin Aisbett | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 07, 2018

Super-Easy To Use! You seriously won't know how good it is until you test it out.

Pros and Cons

• It is so simple to use. You want a time-tracker to be something that really operates in the background but it is there when you need it. It does that with zero friction.
  • The reporting feature is A+. You can very easily look at a reporting period for clients, projects or for specific members of your team.
  • The free plan provides the basic functionality required for small teams.
  • Toggl is a time tracker and it does just that. Considering we utilize the free plan, I honestly can't ask for anything more.
Read Quentin Aisbett's full review
Chloe Sayers | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 06, 2018

Time Tracking Wizard

• Time tracking
  • Integration with other software
  • Detailed task management
  • While Toggl offers a lot of integrations with other software, most of these integrations don't work properly unless you are on a pro plan.
  • Toggle doesn't provide an automatic categorization of time tracked based on websites used during that time.
Read Chloe Sayers's full review
Andre Yeu | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 17, 2017

Feel like you and your organization have no time? Toggl helps you understand where it all goes.

Pros and Cons

• Reporting is easy, so it's easy to look at time spent by team member, task, etc.
  • The timer function is easy to turn on and turn off, making it easy to log time worked.
  • Categorization features make it easy to select what type of activity one is working on, so allocation of time spent is easily analyzed.
  • Perhaps our use is strange (timesheets), but it would be handy to have a UI feature that lets you bulk-enter time spent over an entire week (or two week period) as if for submitting a timesheet for payroll. For us to do this now, employees have to fill in each shift one at a time.
Read Andre Yeu's full review
Lawson Brooks III | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 18, 2016

Toggl Makes Time Tracking Simple

Pros and Cons

• First, Toggl is simple. It accurately tracks your activities in real time and if you forget to engage it, you can enter in time later. These features are invaluable to a small company like mine.
  • There are no real issues with Toggl as I see it. You can track time on and offline. I use the free version and I wish the billable rates feature was part of it. However, all of the paid versions seem to be solid for companies that work in teams, but is overkill for me.
Read Lawson Brooks III's full review
June 20, 2018

Time tracking your team will actually use!

Pros and Cons

• Encouraging compliance—using the Google Chrome extension, you can enable Toggl across the other products you most likely use the most (Trello, Asana, Google Calendar, email, etc.) so that whichever webpage you land on, it will track
  • Notifications—when you've stopped tracking time or forgot to switch from one task to another after a significant amount of time, Toggl will alert you and ask if you want to continue tracking
  • Reporting—this is where the real magic happens! Toggl's reporting and organization features, like projects and tags, offers insight into the types of tasks that consume the most time
  • While I love the fact that the Chrome extension exists and can be enabled on so many sites, it can sometimes be a little buggy. When you go to track a new task, and you have a large number of projects organized in the web app, the extension doesn't always allow you to scroll down to see all the available projects. Same for tags. I also wish there was a way to delete an erroneous task from directly within the extension.
  • The desktop app is a little clunky. The design could definitely be improved.
  • This is minor, but when I go to toggl.com to see reporting, the location of the "Go to timer" vs. "Log out" always gets me. I think it's because I'm used to seeing "Log in" in the upper right corner so I automatically assume that "Log out" actually says "Log in" and I mistakingly click it, which annoyingly (and obviously, if I took the time to read it) logs me out.
July 05, 2018

Positives, Negatives, and Improvements

Pros and Cons

• They have a really good and clear UI that is easy to use and understand as quickly as well as efficiently.
  • It is very simple when it comes to integrating with the Chrome browser plugin that is clear as to when it is turned on and timing and when it is not.
  • It answers a problem that has not been addressed in other productivity apps which is tracking what you are doing rather than trying to organize/block other sites from being used.
  • It would be good, since there is a free version, to have more information on its use and how to optimize the use of the app. I had a friend who recommended this to me and who walked me through how she used it, but without it, I would be confused.
  • I would appreciate it being integrated with certain apps like Facebook or Twitter so that I don't have to manually go through and click the toggle on and off button. Sometimes I'm not conscious of me being on those sites and forget to time it.
  • If I were to make a setup wizard, I would include adding your first category and first task rather than having the user figure out the differences themselves.

About Toggl

Toggl is a time tracking tool from the Estonian company of the same name.