- TrendKite does a great job of presenting the data in a digestible format. I enjoy evaluating the bar graphics and other table formats.
- TrendKite does a great job of providing all the information one would need to evaluate the efficacy of an organizations PR efforts.
- TrendKite's customer service help is AMAZING. They are so helpful and will go above and beyond to solve a problem.
- Unfortunately, TrendKite is very slow at times, sometimes hard to navigate and buggy. This is extremely frustrating and compromises user experience.
- I feel like TrendKite's search option is hard to use and makes it more difficult than it should be to find an article that you want to locate. Also, a lot of the time an article that I want to locate won't even pop up in Trendkite. I have to ask the customer service representatives to manually add it. It would be okay if this was a rare occurrence, but it happens on a weekly basis.
- TrendKite provides great data, but I find that it changes occasionally. For example, sometimes social shares for a month will change even when that month has passed! I could view June social shares on two different dates during the month of July, and the June social shares could be slightly different each time I view it. I don't understand how that can happen I'm viewing total shares during the month of July and the month of June has already passed.
- The ability to easily define and refine specific search parameters allows us to access the stories and mentions that are most relevant to us
- The Dashboard platform allows us to get a wide view of a campaign's effectiveness while providing access to more detailed analysis with one click
- The daily email reports we receive are invaluable to monitoring our mentions. It is particularly helpful to be able to customize those reports based on frequency and to isolate mentions in top-tier publications
- At times, getting a deep dive on a particular type of search (e.g., comparisons with competitors) can be a chore to set up manually. However, I am comfortable that TrendKite's staff support is always available to assist.
We are also using it to slice and dice how many times our name is mentioned in conjunction with priority topics for the organization (e.g., healthcare, artificial intelligence, etc.). And we are comparing that with our peers to see who has the most significant reputation aligned with a specific topic.
Finally, we are collaborating with our donor relations team to set up TrendKite alerts for every time a prospective donor is mentioned in the news. This will allow the gift officers to ping the prospect with a congratulatory note, providing a nice touchpoint and relationship-builder.
- Accuracy of media monitoring. We had significant accuracy issues with our prior vendor, Cision, which frequently missed clips and then required a laborious customer service process to attempt to reprogram our searches to recover those clips. We haven't run into this issue with TrendKite.
- Responsiveness of customer service. We have a dedicated rep who always replies to communications quickly with helpful answers or tutorials.
- Ease of use. We can easily create multiple dashboards and add/remove widgets, date ranges, topics, etc. This type of thing would have taken forever and required numerous special project tickets via Cision.
- Onboarding experience. Very helpful to essentially get us playing around in TrendKite from the start.
- It will be a tremendous value add if your monitoring capabilities can start scraping not only the text of an article, but also the byline (aka, who wrote the article). This would enable us to track op-eds that are written by Kellogg faculty. (Conducting an author search as a workaround does not work -- we need to be able to monitor for the term "Kellogg School" as part of the byline of an article.) This would be a significant value add for our company if this feature was added.
- It would be helpful if you had industry-specific reps who might be able to walk us through a few suggested use cases for the platform, as part of the onboarding phase, to ensure we're really optimizing how we work with TrendKite. This could include an education rep who has seen other schools use the platform to do X, Y and Z.
- Discovering the blogs and news sites where our brand and products are mentioned
- Understanding the impact of these mentions to our business
- Providing an easy-to-use reporting tool to share results based off these mentions
- Reporting: the interactive reports you can generate via TrendKite's home dashboard are easy to manipulate, a breeze to share and look terrific.
- Evolving: I've been impressed with how the company has grown and evolved in the last two years, adding valuable products and services such as contact lists, landing page designs, social listening etc.
- Data-lead: as someone who works in a business that prides itself on being data focussed, having my PR monitoring solution move easily in this world has been a big plus.
- It's not the most intuitive UI - cluttered and sometimes confusing - so you'll need to be patient to wrap your head around its navigation and labelling.
- You'll need to be good at boolean searches - or at least, have a grasp of how they work - to get the most out of the TrendKite dashboards. If not, you will be extra reliant on your account manager to get you going and keep your searches on track.
- A minor quibble, but as an overseas customer (Australia), my access to the semi-regular webinars is very limited, as they are often run in a US-focussed time zone.
It would be less appropriate for an organisation with a low-yield of media mentions, or one that prioritises qualitative analysis over quantitative.
- allowing us to more easily benchmark our PR outcomes versus key competitors, across different industries
- provided a more robust understanding of the impact of various publications, giving us a chance to better assess the likely outcome and reach of each pitch
- given us greater insights into the international footprint of our mentions, enabling better targeting or PR outreach programs
- helped surface and highlight customer success stories
- Its fairly comprehensive, love the dashboard.
- Its easy to use, and easy to follow
- The issues have been on the backend. There have been many issues with the results not being appropriate for the client. Its not been entirely "bankable". In other words, the results are somewhat questionable.
- The people I have worked with are nice, but I don't believe that they have understood what the issues have been.
- The accounting department has been a mess... missing my payments, issuing invoices 6 months late, just a mess.
- Customer Service
- Adding in new features
- The platform is easy to use
- Customization of reports
- Not all placements are picked up or a lot of times the wrong placements are included.
- Although you can add in placements/coverage - it does not always end up in your report.
- If you want wire coverage (e.g. - PRNewswire, PRWeb, Businesswire) it won't capture the coverage if it is behind a firewall or taken off the site so you need to capture a report the day it runs or it skews the results if you are creating monthly reports.
- Clear reports make it easy for any reader to recognize performance.
- Story angle tracking enables the organization to track success against very specific campaigns.
- Share of voice tools let the community know how successful the team has been versus main competitors tasked with the same objectives.
- Search functions (for specific articles) are not straightforward.
- Ad equivalency can be better measured - I believe it is currently being overstated and I am having to compensate by hand to deliver what I consider to be accurate results.
- We still have a second tracking system in place because TrendKite doesn't cover every form of media we require to be reported.
- Daily email reports provide quick and easy skimming and posting media mentions on the RBS "In the News" webpage
- Unlimited customizable dashboards and saved searches allow me to tailor reports
- The support is outstanding. OK, it took many tries and actually a different tech support to understand and correct my search string that looked for "faculty name" AND "Rutgers Business School" and missed every instance when the article only said the faculty member works at Rutgers. But now I'm happy.
- The interactive reports (for example) show a line graph of monthly total mentions, and when I hover my cursor over the point, the number of mentions shows. It would really be helpful if I could have all the labels show at the same time.
- Easy-to-read graphs that show media performance over time
- Clients love the amount of data TrendKite produces, and how easily it can be tailored to individual needs
- TrendKite is great at producing measurable, insightful data, with the ability to hone in on a particular date and see all the coverage earned
- Setting up dashboards could be easier from a boolean search perspective
- I wish you could edit a report's data after you've already created it, instead of needing to start over
- Tracking coverage
- Completely providing all pertinent articles related to our targeted research
- Providing the information on influencers that may help our goals
- Clearly drawing a picture of our niche market within the industry
- The platform is so comprehensive it is overwhelming to decipher use
- Simple offers of help to pop up while at various portions of the platform
- Breaking the platform down to the simplest of applications and then demonstrating the back flips and forward flips
- Tracking and alerting media output that might reflect on brand
- Flexible output for reports to leadership
- Easy to use tracking and reporting
- Easy to customize output for my own use
- Easy to share reports, searches and other information with communicators across the country
- The campaign feature helps me organize media hits and that allows me to provide more accurate targeting.
- For some reason the Newsletter feature is hidden under the Alert category but, knowing that I use it weekly to inform leadership about our media interactions
- The search feature required a significant amount of effort to learn. Developing a plain language search method or employing AI might make it easier to use.
- TrendKite has a beautiful and beautifully easy user interface.
- Their customer services is impeccable. They respond and take action very quickly to any request.
- Their email notification system is excellent.
- Sometimes the various modules seem disconnected: from Influencers to Social. I know they're growing and it's exciting to see things being added. But when those features cost more, it's just hard to make management see the benefits of the cost.
- No real mobile support. An app would be incredibly helpful.
- Limited number of users makes it difficult to work as a team.
- Very good costumer service. All problems I've had so far have been solved quickly.
- Easy to create searches and get quite detailed overviews of what you're diving into.
- You don't have to have a TrendKite account to enjoy the interactivity in the reports.
- The interface is heavy and often takes a while to load completely. As well when you've loaded a list of more then 200 results the whole screen becomes sluggish and difficult to navigate
- A lot of noise within the results. Every time we get a spike in our mentions I have to manually remove articles that are not relevant but might have a mention of us in a side link somewhere on the page.
- More customization of the reports would be welcome. No one is interested in the reports I send because they've looked more or less identical for two years.
- Really great for tracking earned media placements.
- Love that it provides readership numbers, even for blogs.
- Creates detailed, interactive reports to really demonstrate our value to clients.
- The customer support is excellent. They are quick to help with problem through an easy-to-use chat function.
- The Newsletters function in Alerts doesn't automatically order article placements by date (and lacks a feature that would quickly do this) so you have to manually put them into date order.
- Captures all media coverage across online outlets
- Boolean searches are fully customizable
- Attentive account supervisors and support team
- The "reports" feature could be more user-friendly and easier to customize
- Dashboard widgets could offer more options for measurement
- I'd like to navigate to my newsletters and searches directly from my dashboard
If I am going to draft a proactive media pitch, I can use TrendKite's pinpoint contact feature to find the most impactful journalists to pitch.
- TrendKite has detailed graphics to show in an easy-to-understand manner the comparison and status of each company/individual we are keeping track of.
- TrendKite has wonderful, fast, helpful customer service -- answering questions in as little as 2 minutes. This is extremely helpful when putting together a report on a deadline.
- TrendKite's interface is very easy to use, easy to understand, and clean.
- We have had many circumstances of TrendKite not monitoring specific outlets that we need monitored. This causes an issue with tracking the value of our work or the share of voice comparison for our clients, as results may not be all-encompassing.
- A good amount of advertising is included in the mentions brought in by TrendKite. While the team is very helpful in removing the advertisements upon request, it would be great to not have to worry about earned media and paid media being tracked as one and the same.
It is not as well suited as a media contact base, compared to some of its competitors. It may not be as appropriate for tracking mentions from smaller outlets, as they may not be covered by the TrendKite base.
Before we had TrendKite we had no idea what articles were being published, what news outlets had the best readership, or how our press compared to our competitors. Now we have a clear view and can make data-driven decisions in a timely manner.
- Sharing all of the information company-wide, whether as an alert, or end of the quarter data is super simple and easy to use and being able to share across email and slack is a great integration.
- Setting up alerts, dashboards, and searches are very user-friendly, especially when you have a customer success team that is as amazing as ours!!
- Having a database of all articles, and being able to see visual representations of the success of articles in the news about our company without spending hours of time creating it, makes my job super simple.
- Having an export feature is great, however, one area that could improve is allowing the users to customize the reports we want to export. Ie. putting multiple dashboards on one page, or changing the order, or adding comments.
- At the very beginning of our contract, understanding the relationship of the diagrams took a little time to understand, so making those a little clearer would be great.
- Getting our searches and dashboards created took some time especially for someone who doesn't know the boolean code. Having an example of searches to go by would be super helpful (although our customer success team could set it up for us, I wanted to be involved as well) and honestly, I am knit-picking here. The only real thing that would be a nice change is a user-friendly export feature.
- Instant reporting and real-time tracking of earned media coverage.
- The ability to customize reporting in many, many different ways - some key ones for us are share of voice, mentions, social amplification, key stories and sentiment analysis.
- Beautiful visual reports.
- Pinpoint Contacts is a good solution - better than other similar products on the market from Cision and Meltwater, however, with the constant shifts in reporters - there's always room for improvement in terms of contact information and which publication the reporter is currently writing for.
- The tool is very high quality and produces an impressive report
- The data captured is right up to date and in real time
- The support team is very responsive and delivers on schedule
- The price of the service is rather high, I'd prefer an all-encompassing price model similar to how Adobe prices
- The learning curve is a bit steep until one becomes more familiar with the terminology such as earned media and other PR expressions
- The dashboard is highly customizable and extraordinarily useful. You can create as many dashboards and campaigns as you wish for time periods going all the way back to 2013.
- The reporting is stellar. Fully interactive, allowing people who receive the report to not just see how much coverage, but actually visit the individual articles, and gain a deeper understanding of what's being presented.
- The customer service is truly outstanding. Our customer success team is always available to answer questions, help with searches, and do just about anything else I ask related to the product.
- It's a newer tool, so they're always making improvements. I would love some more flexibility in how some of the widgets display information in the dashboards.
- The application can be a bit fussy in Safari. Chrome works much better.
It's certainly not cheap, but it's well worth the price for any organization that can afford it.
- SOV analysis
- Trending earned media coverage over time
- Geographic coverage
- Not having to create so many searches
- When exporting, it would be nice to be able to export individual widgets instead of the whole dashboard. Within the widget export, having all data exported (including the number of mentions, totals, percentages etc.) not just the data displayed in the widget
- Customer service is excellent; they respond immediately.
- The platform is very easy to understand and use.
- The onboard process was quick and painless.
- Including Baidu and Naver and international search engines in country specific results.
TrendKite Review: "A good media monitoring platform which is resonable easy to use but with plenty of room for improvements"
- Very good chat functionality; you can always get quick help when needed.
- The interactive reports that can be easily shared with non-users is a good feature.
- Easy to quickly set up a dashboard in a crisis situation or whenever time is an important factor.
- Export functionality could be improved; ideally it should be possible to schedule automatic exports and should have more possibilities on how the output .csv file is formatted. Would be great if it was possible to export directly to .xls format to not have to deal with importing and formatting .csv files.
- Social shares data is very unreliable and not really anything that can be used since it’s not updated automatically. It requires that you hover over each individual article to trigger an update—not feasible when you have hundreds of articles to update.
- The Knowledge Center should be improved. A doc containing all operators that can be used in Boolean queries and how to use them would be very helpful.
TrendKite Scorecard Summary
TrendKite is PR analytics software helping PR professionals quantify their true business impact. The vendor aims to go beyond legacy metrics such as readership, mentions and ad equivalency and provide PR professionals a concrete way to attribute their efforts to real business outcomes like brand value, web traffic, SEO, and revenue.
The TrendKite platform allows PR professionals to hone in on quality coverage with single-click filters, benchmark against competitors, and report the business impact of campaigns with beautiful interactive reports. PR pros can swifty respond to crises thanks to Spike Alerts, real-time alerts powered by artificial intelligence. And using Pinpoint Contacts, the next-generation of media contacts, PR pros can leverage a journalist discovery engine to uncover new high impact journalists.
According to the vendor, the product is used by more than 1300 clients, including brands and agencies such as Nike, Google, SXSW, Hershey's, John’s Hopkins, M&C Saatchi, and Mondelez.
TrendKite Videos (3)
- Everything a PR Pro Needs to Know about Google Analytics
- Evernote uses TrendKite to quantify the impact of their global comms strategy.
- Hershey uses TrendKite to find opportunities to proactively join conversations in the media.
- Vega can now create a beautiful PR Newsletter in 1/4 the time.
- Drive Time uses TrendKite to measure PR's impact on search engine rankings (SEO)
TrendKite Customer Size Distribution
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||10%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||30%|
|Enterprises (> 500 employees)||60%|
TrendKite Support Options
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
TrendKite Technical Details
|Supported Languages: ||English, Spanish, Chinese, German, Korean, French, Portuguese, Italian, Japanese, Vietnamese, Dutch, Bahasa, Indonesian, Czech, Russian, Hebrew, Polish, Romanian, Macedonian, Turkish, Arabic, Ukrainian, Greek, Croatian, Norwegian, Swedish, Estonian, Tagalog, Hungarian, Hindi, Bulgarian, Danish, Tamil, Afrikaans, Slovenian, Slovak, Finnish, Gujarati, Lithuanian, Swahili, Thai, Somali, Latvian, Nepali, Bengali, Marathi, Persian|