Udacity Reviews

March 16, 2020
Joshua Melder | TrustRadius Reviewer
I work for a large manufacturer/marketing solutions partner and Udacity is primarily utilized by our admin staff. It is also just one of several professional learning platforms we have access to within our organization. The platform offers an extensive range of courses taught by many industry professionals and flexible schedules that accommodate regular work responsibilities. While many courses used to be free, Udacity has gone away with free content in favor of a paid model. One of the key features of Udacity are the mentors assigned to each course. They enable participants to ask questions and receive feedback quickly. Overall, while not all organizational employees use Udacity, it has been valuable for many of our employees to gain experience and online learning certificates.
  • Courses are very high quality and updated regularly.
  • Instructors and Mentors are available for live tutoring.
  • Relevant projects are assigned in order to keep learning material fresh and top of mind.
  • Pricing models changed from fixed-price to subscription-based.
  • The student mentor-ship program feel like it has received cuts recently - the experience does not feel as robust or responsive as before.
  • Their Slack channels are somewhat disorganized.
Udacity is great for working professionals who want to continue their education by learning relevant technical job skills. The platform offers a well-produced content library with new courses added regularly. Overall, Udacity is best suited for individuals who need to gain technical industry experience and certifications in order to better perform in their workplaces. Udacity is a very valuable resource, however, I would not recommend it for all organizations - as there are more cost-friendly options on the market.
Udacity's mentorship and one-to-one learning instructors do a great job of teaching and reinforcing technical concepts. Questions are answered very quickly and help keep an individual's learning progress going forward. Additionally, there is a significant Udacity community that is willing to help engage other users who may be encountering difficulties with the platform. I have usually been able to research common questions and find answers within community forums rather quickly.
Read Joshua Melder's full review
November 14, 2019
Javier Carrion | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have used Udacity for my career development and to improve my job performance. The course is well structured. It taught me the foundation of computer science and front end development. As an alumnus with two Nanodegrees, I can say the content of the lessons on audacity is by far the most elaborate, rich and comprehensive compared to other online learning platforms I have used.
  • More than fourteen projects between two Nanodegrees. You can showcase these projects in your portfolio.
  • Real-time feedback and a community of supporters.
  • Knowledge hub/base with easy search and some really useful information.
  • Slack channels were a little disorganized.
  • The prices are a little bit higher compared to other platforms.
  • Some courses and tooling for the projects were outdated.
Udacity is well suited if you want to start up your technical career. As a student, they challenge you on how to figure how to code something instead of just showing you. The projects have deadlines but they are very attainable. They offer a lot of different programs, but before you choose your Nanodegree I suggest to review the free courses as much as possible before enrolling.
The overall support is very good and reliable. They offer a lot of videos and online sessions of presentations and one on one to help you succeed. They provide online documentation for general support and quick response via email. The mentors are real humans which make the project reviews more personalized and you have a lot of students that want to help.
Read Javier Carrion's full review
Alex Ho | TrustRadius Reviewer
I'm using it to acquire new knowledge around data engineering. It has helped me with better planning and also speaking the same language when talking to my fellow colleagues.
  • Practical exercises and projects definitely helps you understand how you may apply the skills and knowledge in real-world projects.
  • Strong Community where people are generally friendly and helpful for answering questions. Udacity has also made an effort to encourage engagement between all the people who are taking the same courses.
  • You can watch a video, access reading materials and attempt an exercise without leaving the Udacity environment which is definitely a plus for me.
  • Put more background, as well as objectives of some exercises to better understand why do we work on things that way.
  • Some of the projects removed the tedious work required which hide what a candidate may face during real-world projects. Instead, it might be nice to design in a way where candidates need to do more readings to get things working and do the projects.
  • All are good but would be great if they specify some Slack channels where people who have completed the courses can still get together and attempt some real-world projects together with "classmates" to continue to build their portfolios. Would be great if projects come from Kaggle or some sample projects that help the non-profits, then put them in the Github for sharing.
You shouldn't take the course if you already have experience in the field and wanted to deepen your knowledge. If you are new to the field, it will help you better in terms of understanding what real projects look like and what's needed to be effective in your new role.
Sufficient online documentation for general support. And, response via email is still quite acceptable.
Read Alex Ho's full review
Tim Hunt | TrustRadius Reviewer
Currently, I am the only one in Udacity in my company, although I encouraged another one of my colleagues to take some classes also and I believe he will. I am studying Machine Learning, AI and Python. I have completed 1 nano degree and found it both challenging and fun. The courses are put together very well and I have been able to go through the training and complete the assignments without needing help from the mentors or instructors. They just put together a very good curriculum. I am in my second course, Machine Learning in Natural Language Processing. Just finished building my first part of speech tagger and I am moving on to the optional project on building a simple question and answer system using IBM Watson's NLP services. I love the courses and what I am learning. They give me great confidence that I can code my own machine learning models.
  • The online courses are very well done and cover the topics so you truly understand them and can have confidence working on the projects.
  • Their projects to validate what I learn are very challenging. I spend days on them, but in the end, they come out nice so there is a great feeling when you know you have accomplished something difficult
  • They have great responsive mentors. I have asked a few questions here and there when I get stuck and they respond quickly, it just always works out for me after I ask the question I go back to try it again and I figure it out. Still, I follow the chats and they provide a lot of good help to students.
  • When building neural networks and working with the data you have to manipulate the data or convert it into numerical forms in dictionaries, lists, numpy arrays, etc. Some of these data structures can be fairly complex. My only suggestion would be if they could provide a sample of perhaps what the head of the data file might look like as that would make it easier for me to figure out what I need to code to get to the goal. Some of the nested dictionaries in Python, which look like JSON files to me, are sometimes not as easy to visualize just from a written statement of the task to do.
  • I would also say more references to other reading materials related to what we are learning would be great. I search for a lot of them on my own, but I am never sure if I am reading the good stuff or not. Recommendations would be great.
I already recommend it to people regularly. I can only speak to the dozen or so courses I have taken, including 2 nano degrees, but they do a great job in getting someone up to speed in coding and building advanced systems. I have just loved learning at my own pace and how good the programs have been.
I haven't had to use any customer support but I would imagine it is good if I needed it.
Read Tim Hunt's full review
October 02, 2019
[Udacity] Assists with ramping up and training new and current employees on technical topics related to web development. We a are a SAAS company with a customer-facing product, so it's important the customer-facing employees are not only technical, but can troubleshoot and explain frontend issues or topics to the customer.
  • In-depth topics
  • Clear, organized classes
  • Fun examples and exercises
  • To have the teachers/assistants more active in the community/Slack channels and forums
Any technical topic, especially related to web development.
I didn't personally have any issues with the program, but scheduling time to review the final project was easy, and the assistant was pleasant to work with.
August 29, 2019
I used it personally. It was not tied to my company of employment. I wanted to add skills to my toolbox that I didn't have but was seeing pop up in one job description after another. Not having those skills was impacting my ability to even get a conversation with someone about these types of jobs.
  • Lesson structure is short, concise, and consumable.
  • Frequent quizzes ensure that you are grasping the content.
  • Projects are structured to ensure you are practicing the skills you learned in the lessons.
  • Quiz questions in some cases could be made clearer. I didn't feel the questions were always phrased in a way that I could easily understand what was being asked.
  • Requests for support can sometimes take a very long time to get resolved.
  • Cost structure changed from a fixed-price model to a subscription-only model, and prices are significantly increased as such.
Udacity is great for getting an introduction to, and thorough review of, concepts and skills that may be new to you. The lessons, quizzes, and projects are in most cases easily consumable and broken up into digestible chunks. It is self-paced so you can decide how quickly or slowly to proceed though there are fixed-terms in which you are supposed to complete the course itself.
When you could actually get a response, the support itself is fine. I got what I needed when I was finally helped. But as mentioned previously, the speed with which you get the support can be very slow. In one particular case, I had raised some support issue taking one course. I eventually moved on and figured it out, and ended up taking a subsequent course. It was only after starting the 2nd course that I got an answer on my support request from the 1st course (I want to say it was at least a month or more between when I raised the issue and when I got a response).
August 27, 2019
Udacity serves as a learning platform for anyone venturing into the domain of Information Technology. I have used it during my Masters' coursework to supplement my learning in the domain of data analytics and computer programming.
  • Interactive quizzes.
  • Teaching through practical examples.
  • Communicate complex technical concepts in layman terms and then going to advanced level.
  • Organization of courses is not very user-friendly, especially the sequence of courses to take should be more elucidated for a beginner.
  • There are some courses which are completely tool based on using Alteryx. Instead, more focus on concepts can be given.
  • The depth of the courses is another issue. The free courses are good for beginners but not to go to the next level.
  • Nanodegree programs can be better priced.
Udacity is best for someone beginning a career in computer science or data analytics. The wide range of courses makes it possible to learn a wide range of topics for free and from experts.
I would highly recommend the platform to other users. The discussion forums are very helpful and if one can afford nano degree programs, I am sure they will be worth the cost.
September 09, 2019
It is being used on an individual basis as a way to help employees upgrade their skills which directly impacts their performance in their jobs.
  • High quality content
  • Video based interactive platform
  • Collaboration with industry and universities
  • Focussed Study material
  • Better ways for student feedback in courses
  • Student Mentor relationship needs to be made better with prompt communication from mentors.
  • Courses need to be better aligned according to industry needs
Well suited for individual training. Not so much for employees studying together.
Their mentors are individuals and not their employers, hence they aren't always able to answer.
August 29, 2019
The course that I did on Autonomous Cars has helped me a lot. It has not only improved my coding skills, but taught me totally new concepts like mapping, new algorithms, etc. I can't thank them enough.
  • Excellent material.
  • Great teachers.
  • Awesome projects.
It's amazing. Great material, and great teachers and teaching assistants. Scholarship definitely helps. I don't think there is any scenario where I wouldn't recommend Udacity.
Great support.

What is Udacity?

Udacity headquartered in Mountain View offers a suite of eLearning courses, including a broad selection of technology and development focused online learning classes.