UltraEdit

USDV on UltraEdit

Great all-in-one text editor

What is UltraEdit?

UltraEdit is a text editor from IDM Computer Solutions headquartered in Hamilton.

2 people want pricing too

What is Microsoft Visual Studio Code?

Microsoft offers Visual Studio Code, a text editor that supports code editing, debugging, IntelliSense syntax highlighting, and other features.

What is Sublime Text?

Sublime Text is a highly customizable text editing solution featuring advanced API, Goto functions, and other features, from Sublime HQ in Sydney.

UltraEdit Technical Details

Alternatives

What is UltraEdit?

What is UltraEdit's best feature?

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 9.7.

Who uses UltraEdit?

The most common users of UltraEdit are from Enterprises and the Banking industry.

As a business and marketing manager in our small company, I am the only user of UltraEdit. It is my go-to for text editing. When I want to edit chunks of text, strip them of other coding, or - my heart be still - separate columns, UltraEdit is invaluable. I also use it to access my passwords, so I use UltraEdit daily.
  • Search and replace in files that are not open
  • Cut and paste columns - I don't know any other program that can do this!
  • Is a super fast and powerful text editor.
  • I'd like more free updates.
  • It'd be great to be able to make the text larger more easily.
  • I like UltraEdit so much I'm having trouble coming up with a third area for improvement!
UltraEdit's powerful search function lets you search within a file, but also within files in a folder that are not open. I use it to find something I know is in a folder but can't otherwise locate.

UltraEdit is SO powerful there are many functions I don't use. It might be nice to have a dumbed-down version for people like me who are using it for text but not for coding.
The support is excellent. The only time I've ever had to use it, I got a real person who was able to address my specific needs. Best of all, they beta test updates obsessively, so the software is pretty much bulletproof. This has been true the entire time I've used this program.
My department (along with a majority of our IT related groups) use UltraEdit on a daily basis to troubleshoot a majority of the files we process and deal with. It's extremely useful from opening and viewing the simplest .txt file or review lines of complex code or log file records. It has a create customizable UI and tons of useful tools for reviewing data.
  • Great user interface and easy to navigate
  • No training needed to get started with the program out of the box
  • Extremely thorough data validation tools
  • For first time users the interface can be a little overwhelming
Extremely helpful viewing and troubleshooting data and lines of code. Easy to parse out messages and display information in a uniform manner. Great customization capability of the UI to make it work specifically for the tasks related to your job. The dark background on the newest version is very easy on the eyes.
Haven't had much need to reach out to support for the program since it's generally a self serve product, but the few times we've needed help their support has been quick to respond and solve our problem.
March 10, 2020

USDV on UltraEdit

Marc Shaffer | TrustRadius Reviewer
UE is an integral part of our www development and has been for years. It is used by all departments as needed. It is a clean and easy to use web design tool. Nothing else we have tried is as clean and easy to use as UE. Training is minimal so people pick up its use quickly.
  • Web editing.
  • Web design.
  • Web construction.
  • It would be great if a total page view, including images and spacing would be helpful.
  • More automated for repetitive functions.
Web dev is its high point but it is not just a text creator.
To be honest, we have never needed support of any kind. That is a 20-year experience.
To my knowledge I am the only user of UltraEdit in my department. I have a continuing need to open and edit very large text files. UltraEdit easily manages these large files without any issues. In particular, I typically edit these files performing a search-and-replace on individual characters, CR/LF characters and tab characters.
  • It is amazing at editing by columns
  • It allows me to quickly and easily search by ASCII character value
  • The built-in file comparison feature is very accurate and easy to use
  • UltraEdit is relatively slow to load
  • It is not possible to open multiple individual sessions of UltraEdit
  • The standard toolbar is a bit too "verbose" showing options using large, colorful icons. I prefer a minimalist, simplified toolbar
UltraEdit is well suited for editing very large files. The macro editor is very powerful and easy to use. If one needs a quick-to-open text file editor, you will find UltraEdit much too slow to load. Compared to some free editors on the market, the basic individual user license is quite expensive.
Mathieu Gaouette | TrustRadius Reviewer
Ultra edit is being used mostly by developers here. It has color coding for a lot of programming languages. This makes it very versatile. It is really a developer tool and can't be judged by the business problems it solves. It makes writing code and formatting in text files easier. It's a big time saver.
  • The column mode is one of the best features. I use it all the time. It allows me to work on a specific row position across multiple lines (ex: insert text, number sequence). This is a big time saver.
  • Macro recording is very convenient for redundant tasks inside a text file. You can just hit record, do the steps manually once and then stop and playback.
  • You have base file compare functionality available with the software (you must buy their compare product if you want the full thing).
  • Sorting available with the option of removing duplicates.
  • The color coding capacity is rudimentary and keyword based only. A good color coding mechanism should allow context.
  • With the latest versions, the top menu has a lot of big icons and has a user-friendly kind of look which impacts the actual text window. Most users don't fancy pretty icons and like efficiency over pretty buttons.
Any person that needs to manipulate text files and perform manual modification tasks would greatly benefit from it. Same with script developers who will be able to benefit from the color coding functionalities. Basic file compare needs will also be covered by the software. When considering UltraEdit compare text files that you expect to find identical. Comparing files that are different expecting to see every little difference might be more difficult.
Multiple users within our organization use UltraEdit. It is a great multi-purpose text editor. Use it for simple tasks, like editing large text files, or use the code formatting to edit every language you can think of. Excellent for editing XML files or HTML. It also works wonders with parentheses—marries up matching ones with color-coding. Extremely well priced for all it does.
  • Any kind of text editing and manipulation. Wide breadth of support for many types of files and code.
  • Matching parentheses () by color coding is a huge benefit.
  • Column mode makes it easy to transform a flat-file into something easily editable by column.
  • Handles massively sized files easily and quickly.
  • Really hard to come up with any areas of improvement.
  • Maybe the menu could be a little easier to navigate.
Well suited for any kind of text manipulation. Have flat files? CSVs? XML? HTML? You name it, it can handle it. Do you code in Java, Python, C++, Ruby, VB, or any other language? It can probably handle it.
Super easy way to take snippets (or entire sections) of code and see it parsed and color-coded for review and troubleshooting. The only thing it's not suited for is graphical files or PDFs.
Have never needed support, not once. So giving them a 10 for the fact that their product is so good that we've never needed it.