Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery Reviews

May 13, 2021
Lauren Benson | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery] for all my servers and one desktop. It alleviates the burden of me constantly checking backups because I know they're done right. I recently had to restore from a backup, and it was a fairly simple process. I appreciated all the help from the support team. They are very knowledgeable.
  • Customer Service
  • SLA
  • Easy-to-use UI
  • Faster initial response time from an engineer with a priority 1 support ticket.
Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery] has simplified my backup process. After the initial set up, I knew things were backing up properly. The customer support when I have questions is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. They are efficient, and very good at following up when necessary. The recent bare metal restore I completed did take quite a bit of time, but with the size of my server, that was to be expected. Since I couldn't be on the phone with support the entire time, she made sure to send me emails periodically as she was also checking the status of my restore process.
Read Lauren Benson's full review
May 13, 2021
Roger Michelson | TrustRadius Reviewer
BNMC is a Managed Services Provider (MSP) and we supply and manage Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery for our customers. Most of our customers that use Unitrends have a server infrastructure in house, either at a co-location data center or in their office. The Unitrends solution protects their entire infrastructure across the whole organization. We also supply Unitrends Spanning for Office 365 SaaS backup and recovery.
  • Unitrends has successfully recovered data during disasters we had with customers, including Ransomware attacks and SAN hardware failure. The technology really worked well to get customers back up and running after these disasters.
  • Unitrends is easy to manage and the UniView consolidated portal allows our engineering team to manage multiple customers and multiple devices across different networks with ease and a single pane of glass.
  • The Unitrends support team and partner team are very easy to work with, making Unitrends a good partner over the years.
  • Prior to UniView, each Unitrends appliance had to be individually managed. This was a difficult process from the MSP point of view as we have multiple customers to manage their backup.
  • Unitrends is still fine tuning their Cloud Technology solutions for protecting Azure and AWS.
Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery is well suited to customers that have servers or storage in house or at a data center and it works well across different technologies and platforms such as Windows, Linux, NAS, SMB Shares, etc. If customers have all their data in a cloud solution like Azure or AWS, then Unitrends physical appliance is not necessarily going to work the best.
Read Roger Michelson's full review
May 06, 2021
Matt Virasami | TrustRadius Reviewer
[All employees are using Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery as] our servers are backed up both locally, and via cloud. With Covid and working from home the cloud backups have played a major role in ensuring all important documents are readily available in the event of any issues at the hardware level.
  • Setting up the Backup Process by User
  • Browsing the Backup Files
  • Restoring the Backup Files
  • Restoring user files to another directory
[Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery is] perfect for this work from home era - ensures all important backup of data while working from home
Read Matt Virasami's full review
April 25, 2021
Craig Chapman | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our organization uses Unitrends for our on-premises disaster recovery solution. While we have some services that are cloud-based, those have their own disaster recovery mechanisms. Unitrends provides a very good 1-2-3 solution for our aging on-premises servers and has been invaluable as a peace of mind solution allowing for simple roll-back capabilities during upgrades as well as secure knowledge that all core systems are safe if disaster should strike.
  • Integration with SQL Server databases for full and incremental backups
  • Agents are easily deployed and upgraded for VM hosts
  • Pulling backups and either deploying or performing in-place restore jobs is straight-forward and intuitive
  • Regular reports of success/failed backup jobs makes managing any issues easy to diagnose
  • Like other solutions, Unitrends does require [the] use of agents for hypervisor hosts and database servers
  • There is an upfront cost for the on-premises hardware (though they do allow you to roll your own)
  • Some on-premises configurations need to be done via console/SSH rather than through the web interface (such as setting up TLS)
Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery has been very well-suited to ensuring secure backups of all of our on-premises servers. Using its agents, it is able to seamlessly backup our SQL Server databases, virtual machines, and their hosts (both Windows and Linux) and has proven to be capable [of] quickly restoring existing backups. Once the initial configuration is completed and the backup schedules are optimized, it runs in the background with virtually no attention required.
Read Craig Chapman's full review
April 21, 2021
Greg Lanz | TrustRadius Reviewer
We currently use two Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery] appliances in our main data centre to backup and provide recovery assurance for our entire enterprise. We also use a couple of cold copy NFS backup targets for long term retention and to provide offsite storage for several of our important systems. We also use it for compliance reasons as it performs scheduled automatic restores of several systems weekly and emails the completed test results
  • VM backups work very well with or without backup agents. We have a catch all job configured so that any newly added VM's are automatically backed up without any further intervention
  • Instant restores have saved the day a couple of times where the appliance spun up a recovered VM on the appliance itself in minutes and got our web presence back online with minimal downtime
  • The thing I like best with Unitrends is that they have the best customer support I've experienced. They get back very quickly with a resolution and with their support tunnels they will often fix any issues remotely without me having to do anything other than open a support ticket
  • Bare metal restores work better than any of the competitors during our evaluation process. I thankfully haven't had to perform any aside from a couple tests but it's great to know they can be relied on
  • There is a bit of a learning curve especially with the SLA policies
  • I would appreciate if there were wizards or automated guides for setting up some of the jobs or cold copy targets
  • It would be nice if errors came with hyperlinks to related KB articles
Last year we had a failed Windows Update that took down our webserver and I was able to spin up an Instant Recovery VM from the last good backup within minutes [using Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery]. This VM started serving up webpages and I then migrated this running VM to our production VCenter and this VM is still in use to this day.
Read Greg Lanz's full review
April 20, 2021
Victor Cenac | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use two instances of Unitrends Data [Center Backup and Recovery] in two VMware clusters separated by a slow link. These instances are the core of our DR strategy. Virtual machines are being backed up nightly in most cases, but some are backed up multiple times a day. Some are then replicated to a "cold" storage device. The idea is to have the eggs in multiple baskets.
The virtual machines being backed up are linux of various flavors and Windows. Disk sizes range from from 10 GB to 12 TB. I am really impressed with the simplicity of Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery]. It just works!
  • Very reliable. We tried VDP and Veeam in the past and reliability was not a strong point for these competitors. It is a huge relief to have a backup system that just keeps on working.
  • Deduplication is working great and it does not consume a lot of CPU resources. This is a great asset and allows running Unitrends Data Backup without allocating a large slice of resources from production loads.
  • Disk access requirements are fairly low. This is very valuable, because implementing Unitrends data backup does not require investment in new data storage, capable of high IOPS. We have it running on non-accelerated RAID that is capable of around 3-4k IOPS and there are no complaints.
  • Low network requirements. Deduplication is done inline, reducing network traffic. The replication of our VM backups is happening over a 1 G link and the traffic is not noticeable.
  • I would like to see a feature where the Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery] adds a newly created virtual machine automatically to a new backup schedule based on some criteria like a tag. As it stands today, auto selection is only based on name of the VM and the job is assigned to an already existing schedule.
  • Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery] has a File Level Recovery feature. A single file can be recovered from a Windows server, without the need to restore the entire machine. I would like to have this functionality for Linux machines as well.
I can't imagine a scenario where Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery] would not be suited. It is lightweight, fast and very reliable. It is capable of instant recovery as well as file level recovery. It is very versatile in terms of storage repositories, from external HDD all the way to cloud repositories...
Read Victor Cenac's full review
April 20, 2021
Rick Dademo | TrustRadius Reviewer
[Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery] is used by our corporate headquarters.

It allows for us to have a safe and secure off-site data recovery environment in the event of a catastrophic event.

It also allows for recovery of data should it accidentally get purged or deleted from the Unitrends Appliance.
  • Security - Data is encrypted and kept in a secure data center.
  • Data is readily available 24x7.
  • Business disruption is minimally impacted.
  • They need to allow for the managing and deleting of older backups as they continue to use unnecessary space.
  • Unitrends allows for all or nothing. Either a backup of say an SQL DB remains forever or gets deleted entirely and once deleted, it cannot ever be backed up to the data center again.
  • This nonsense of no management of the data leads to continuous data growth which eventually will grow past a companies contracted size limit. This leads to more expense on the part of the client. Nothing more than a great money maker for Unitrends!
If Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery] would allow the client to manage their archived data, it would be an ideal environment. The fact that once a DB backup, File Level backup, etc is requested to be deleted, it then becomes an issue because the client can never backup that DB, etc to the Data Center again.

On the other hand, leaving all that archived data out there forever only allows for growth greater that what the client has contracted for and now becomes an additional expense.

This is not discussed by Unitrends during the negotiation period! Just a cash cow for Unitrends!
Read Rick Dademo's full review
March 29, 2021
Ernesto Garcia | TrustRadius Reviewer
I currently manage several implementations of Unitrends products for several companies. In all instances, the devices are being used to back up critical company data. We use it to restore data that may have been accidentally erased or deleted as well as part of the disaster recovery plan. All the data backed up to the on premise device is then synchronized to the Forever Cloud.

I use Unitrends products because they have proven to work flawlessly in every situation where data was lost and needed to be restored. The speed in which data is restore is extremely fast and the GUI is easy to use. The ease of use is also a main reason why I recommend these products. I can show someone how to restore data from a backup with minutes.
  • Extremely reliable.
  • Easy to use.
  • Great product support.
  • Color coding of the back information where we can see full or differential backups.
  • Having to filter through a range of backups to simply see that latest backups.
Unitrends devices as part of a disaster recovery plan are essential because of the Forever Cloud that allows you retrieve your data to another location and all it requires is access to the internet. In case that the on premise device is no longer working, the Forever Cloud is always available.
Read Ernesto Garcia's full review
March 29, 2021
James Fry | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using Unitrends as our primary backup solution for our servers and IT infrastructure. It is exclusively used by the IT staff, and more specifically myself, and one other person. We are using one of their physical appliances to create both on-premise and off-premise backups, utilizing Unitrends' own cloud service that they offer. This cloud service also enables Disaster Recovery as a service functionality basically automatically. I can't really comment on that aspect too much as I have only just gotten the appliance put into place and have not done my test DR failover yet. On the other hand I have already had to use it to rescue some VM's from a host that died. It worked almost perfectly.
  • Value -- I was ultimately offered a very compelling package that included the appliance, cloud storage space, and the DRaas option all together for a very good deal.
  • Functionality -- I would say their software is definitely aimed at the more technical users -- while it is not difficult to use by any means, they definitely prioritize functionality and verbosity over ease of use. Personally, I am a fan of this style approach.
  • Company Culture -- I have only had the product in place for about a month, and was also involved with sales for about another month prior but I have a pretty good sense of the company culture. They are very technically inclined and not afraid to jump into the deeper technical aspects of the product. This also shows through in their documentation and support articles which go into a lot of detail and are actually very useful.
  • I am going to come back to the polish issue here as I think there is definitely some room for improvement in QA and overall finish -- don't get me wrong, it is not full of bugs by any means, rather it's "almost there."
  • Some of the data points that I think should be very easy to get ahold of are a bit difficult/buried. Stuff like what is the most recent backup available for a given host This should be a column available in many of the views where you are looking at your assets. Also how much storage a given asset is consuming across all of it's backups. I realize the deduplication makes this a bit tricky, but I am sure they could figure something out.
  • Automated and regular test restores of backups, although I do believe that this is coming soon.
  • I am a bit disappointed that when you have the appliance make an additional backup copy to a "Non Unitrends" storage device, it removes the deduplication and compression benefits so you aren't able to store much history externally unless you invest in a ton of space. I don't know if this is a push for you to get a second appliance so you can have it store the backups there, or what -- but I know it is possible as other vendors can backup to external storage with full inline dedup and compression.
Overall this is good software and when the crunch time comes, it works. That's definitely the most important, as a bunch of whiz bang features won't save you if it simply doesn't work. Their support is great, I have always had good experiences with them. The value was also really great, there is a lot included in a very fair price IMO. Couple of minor rough edges, but it's not things that will leave you in the cold.
Read James Fry's full review
March 20, 2021
Andrew Choi | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery to backup our local users content to the Unitrends cloud. It is being used across our entire organization. We elected to transition to Unitrends as we were experiencing challenges with our previous backup solution (Veritas).
  • Simple interface for network administrators to schedule data backups to occur on our desired schedule.
  • Simple interface for network administrators to be able to pull down backups.
  • Easy to understand reports and logs.
  • Alerts to indicate when nearing storage capacity.
Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery has provided my district's IT Department with an easy to use solution to schedule backups of our users files to the cloud with the ability to recover them with ease. It helped to address a pain point that we were experiencing with our previous backup solution.
Read Andrew Choi's full review
March 19, 2021
Nathan Holbrook | TrustRadius Reviewer
We currently use Unitrends as our central onsite backup solution. It is used to handle both single-file and full system recovery for both physical and virtual machines. We also use it as part of the DR plan for offsite backup to AWS.
  • File level recovery
  • Backup catalog management
  • Overall reporting
  • Offsite backup when not using Unitrends cloud service or another Unitrends device could be better.
  • Streamlined or single page on a web interface that lists device information/status would be helpful.
  • Better information in UI when features will not work with the current configuration. Data throttling is the main example of this.
In the 3 years I have used the solution, they have implemented many features that have made it a very robust solution. I believe it is a great solution for medium-sized companies that invest in additional units or the cloud service to optimize data size and boost confidence in disaster recovery. In my opinion, where this solution would be least effective is in a small to medium company protecting more than 8TB of data. The current system for doing the offsite transfer to non-Unitrends storage is a bit unwieldy. A system recovery of a large system could prove slow and problematic.
Read Nathan Holbrook's full review
March 10, 2021
Fred Wiens | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have two people who manage our [Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery] appliance. Many people can recover their own files using the "previous versions" tab in Windows Explorer. However, when this is not sufficient we will get the restore request.

We back up Hyper-V virtual machines directly from the Hyper-V servers. We do backup some systems directly as well, stand-alone servers, SQL servers, file servers, and until recently, VMware and Exchange servers as well.

We have redundant data centers with ongoing replication between them, so the loss of the virtual environment at one site is not being addressed by Unitrends. The remaining problems addressed by the appliance are:
1. Recovering historic files that were deleted long ago and now are needed.
2. Recovering SQL data to a prior state following a disaster.
3. Recovering servers or other virtual IT systems to a prior state following a disaster.
4. Maintain recover-ability of our entire infrastructure at a new location in the event of the loss of this entire site, including both data centers.
  • Unitrends provides easy discovery of history restore points for specific systems. Restoring these historic moments is quite simple.
  • Unitrends provides rapid and discrete backups of Hyper-V virtual systems, SQL databases, Exchange databases, and file-level direct system backups. The impact on the servers being backed up is not noticeable if your backups are scheduled to not cause disk contention on the virtual servers. This is easy to accomplish. Virtual Machines do not need any agents installed, just the virtual hosts containing them. This low-impact but comprehensive backup strategy is quite scalable and easy to manage.
  • Restoring individual files may seem trivial from a global DR perspective, however, sometimes it really matters. An errant configuration file on a virtual system can cause grief. [Let's] just say that you don't want to roll the system back, due to data consistency concerns. No worries, just create a File-Level Recovery instance of the desired restore point and select the needed file directly from the appliance, then drop the restore point. This is a quick process.
  • Restoring a specific SQL or Exchange database to a specific point in time has saved us a few times.
  • Virtual machine backups for RHEL or CentOS do not provide usable FLR instances. It would be nice if they did. On the windows side, that is a stellar feature.
  • "The predictive analytics engine has detected anomalies on the following systems which probabilistically matches the behavior of systems impacted by Ransomware." - It would be nice if we could whitelist certain content that we have encrypted intentionally so that future alerts would be raised if new encryption is detected elsewhere.
  • Active Jobs view: It would be nice that when you have the View Details option selected and also have multiple jobs selected that they would all display in the details. If this is too resource-intensive, then preferably the most recently selected job would display.
  • Job Manager view: When selecting multiple jobs, only the toggle button remains enabled. It would be nice if the delete button also remained enabled so that multiple jobs could be deleted at the same time.
  • Job Manager view: When filtering the view by typing text into the column headers, the selected [checkboxes] should be cleared. It is essential that the [checkboxes] no longer displayed are cleared, but normally if you are adding a new filter, it is a new task. Clearing all should be fine.
  • IPv6 connectivity between appliance and agents would be nice. Full dual-stack would also be nice, but failing that, being able to select IPv4 or IPv6 would be great.
I feel this is one of the best solutions for a Hyper-V environment and a Windows Server environment. [Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery] just fits and works so well. We are not a VMware shop, so I cannot speak to that. We backup CentOS and RHEL servers as well, but all through the agent on the Hyper-V host server. No DR problems that this did not solve for years now - Windows (virtual and stand-alone) server, Linux virtual server, SQL Server, Exchange Server, etc.
Read Fred Wiens's full review
March 05, 2021
Jonathan Butler | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use the Unitrends Backup Appliance in our Centralized Datacenter to backup all onsite servers. That data includes user files, documents, databases, and anything else stored in our Datacenter. We also move backups to the Unitrends Archive unit for offsite storage. The archive unit allows removable drives to be swapped and take[n] off-site for our disaster recovery plan.
  • Works Great with VMware Sever Backups.
  • Test and activate backups in a test VM environment for testing and file recovery.
  • After Purchase product support is great.
  • Appliance updates are easy to perform.
  • Cost of offsite cloud Archive.
  • Clarity on virus and malware file scanning and resolution of backup files.
  • Configuration and Settings compatibility during Appliance Replacement or major software upgrades.
One nice feature is the great alerting capability of the Appliance. Once configured the Appliance will email Job alerts on failures or problems and you get a detailed report each day with details of all scheduled jobs. With the help of support, the Web interface has an option to spin up a backup to a VM for testing purposes. This allow you to see how the backup worked and recover file from a live running machine from your Backup. Database plugins for SQL allow back jobs to be created to backup specific databases not relaying on file-level backups in SQL Servers.
Read Jonathan Butler's full review
Charles Schaefer | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Unitrends to back up all of our servers, databases and important desktops critical to our operation. We do a combination of full and differential backups throughout the week, and monthly and annual backups as well to keep our risk low. Restores have been easy when necessary. Unitrends has matured well since I first encountered them 15 years ago.
  • Easy to configure.
  • Support is good to work with.
  • Status reports let me know when things are not going well.
  • Would love to see a report that tells me per night how long each job is taking.
  • Support site should be able to pre-populate the device ID into a list of values.
  • Some intelligence on how we can shrink our backup window with data ever growing.
Having used the competition, I have seen how a lot of other backup solutions work and what their strengths are. Unitrends works well in our current environment with VMware and Netapp. Using the Unitrends OVA appliance coupled with a synology storage for the backups to live on and a replication Unitrends OVA ,and synology appliance in another of our sites allows for an offsite backup. Much better than shipping off tapes to somewhere only to find out the tape was stored incorrectly and can't be used to recover from.
Read Charles Schaefer's full review
Spencer Smith | TrustRadius Reviewer
We're using Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery] to backup our critical business servers. It allows us to maintain security, and recover from possible data loss with virtual machines spun up on premises directly from the backup. We've tested this capability on several occasions, and it is very effective.
  • It recovers to a VM directly from backup
  • It automates the backup process
  • It reports issues and failures very well.
  • There are some problems setting up the Virtual Shadow Services that I'd like to see streamlined.
I'm not as excited about Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery] as a backup solution for desktop computers. For servers, it does a great job, but you would need a very high-bandwidth network to manage a large number of desktop computers. The incremental backups cut down on that latency a lot, but I still haven't embraced this technology for all my users.
Read Spencer Smith's full review
JAMIE RISSKY | TrustRadius Reviewer
We utilize [Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery] as a backup for our dispatch server. We do this locally on an appliance and also into the cloud from them. These backup happen daily and our SQL server backups every hour. We also utilize their DRaaS via the cloud as well in the off chance our server dies.
  • Easy to use GUI
  • Easy to setup
  • Great support
  • Setting up NAS
Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery] was very easy to setup and get going. With the weekly reports I know when things are going smoothly. The appliance will also send me an email if there is a fail, so I don't need to worry about it much.
Read JAMIE RISSKY's full review
Kevin Balfe | TrustRadius Reviewer
[Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery] is our main backup, recovery and DR system for the entire company
  • Handles multiple O/S and older platforms
  • Seamlessly combines on-site appliance backup and Offsite Cloud backup
  • Competitively priced
  • Good Tech Support
  • Fast backup; does not consume a ton of network bandwidth
  • Keeps data for a year
  • Sales can be more realistic about estimating appliance capacity, esp. with database data
  • The transition from an older appliance to a newer one was a bit bumpy
  • Cloud backup interruptions were not communicated very clearly a while ago
Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery] is quite versatile, robust and provides excellent tech support. The seamless integration of appliance and cloud backup is especially good. Might not be the easiest if just backing up a few VM's
Generally very good. Some issues regarding Hyper-V backups have taken a long time to resolve
Read Kevin Balfe's full review
Lance Thomas | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use the Unitrends [Data Center] Backup and Recovery for the whole organization. It provides not only file level recovery, but full whole recovery and Disaster Recovery as well.
  • Unitrends quickly performs block level backup of all our data
  • The web interface makes setting up backup schedules simple and easy to maintain
  • The entire product is so intuitive that you can have everything up and going in 1 day
  • Managing the credentials for differing systems could be stream lined a little more
  • As fast as the backups are, there's always room for going faster
  • clearing the notifications can sometime be tedious
For small to medium sized businesses this is an amazing product. For larger organizations, I don't see why it would have any issues scaling up.
Read Lance Thomas's full review
Nick Mushovic, MSBIT, CSDP | TrustRadius Reviewer
Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery] is being used across the whole organization. It resolves our disaster recovery problem.
  • Quick File Restores
  • Intuitive User Interface
  • Simplicity of installation and maintenance
  • None
We love the Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery] appliance, we use it to backup or Virtual Machines. It's very easy to use and such a step up from our previous solution, Beckup Exec.
Read Nick Mushovic, MSBIT, CSDP's full review
Derek Lawson | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have been using Unitrends Backup for the past four years in an education environment. We currently run incremental forever backups on all our servers and replicate them to an offsite appliance. We have had several recoveries as a result of malware or phishing attempts and each recovery has been painless. Down for less than two hours, the time it took to restore from backup. I can confidently recommend Unitrends as a backup solution for anyone who wants to move to a "set it and forget it" backup scheme.

As I read through some of the other reviews of Unitrends on the TrustRadius site, I see than some of the lesser reviews indicate there are issues with the Unitrends hardware or appliances, consumer grade drives, etc. We deployed Unitrends on two HP DL380s, both with over 30 TB of usable storage, one for our local data center and one for our disaster recovery site. Our annual support costs are minimal, as I understand maintenance on the Unitrends appliances are considerably higher. We get all the benefits of Unitrends backup and recovery while using our own internally supported hardware. Couldn't be easier.
  • Recovery.
  • Peace of mind.
  • Speed.
  • Compliance.
  • Very infrequent but sometimes backups must be recreated.
  • UI could be more customizable.
  • Backup reporting could use more detail.
Unitrends Backup should be deployed where backups should be readily available and ease of use is required. With more than 25 years in the industry, I have yet to find an easier solution to set up and configure. It just works.
Read Derek Lawson's full review
February 25, 2021
Steven Hiersche, Jr. | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have the 833 appliance and we use it to backup our existing 10+ physical servers and 100+ VMware VMs. We are backing up everything from our File server, Exchange, SQL to SharePoint and local apps servers. We also backup select items to the Unitrends cloud for archiving beyond 2 weeks. Before Unitrends, we were using another backup suite on an old server and rotating NAS devices home to get them offisite on a biweekly basis. We were running out of space and patience. Unitrends has been a great addition to our infrastructure! It was easy to implement and has been rock solid for 3 years.
  • Restores are a dream. Select the day, select the content and restore. Couldn't be easier.
  • Has 4 NIC ports that you can aggregate for more throughput.
  • The UI is very simple to work with. They updated it recently and it is even simpler. You don't have to fumble through a menu. Everything is in front of you and laid out logically.
  • If you want to recover something from exchange, that is a separate piece of software. Wish that was integrated.
  • There are four extra HD slots on our appliance that you cannot expand to. Would be great if they allowed the appliance to be filled and re-striped.
  • A little annoyance is that the appliance doesn't have a faceplate. That could just be my issue though.
If you have servers or client machines that you want to backup, Unitrends is for you. There are newer systems out there with all flash but the UI on Unitrends could not be easier and that is a huge selling point. The ROI is also better than most. They also have a lot of great, free tools that you will benefit from.
I've never had one issue and they are always quick to respond
It is an intuitive platform but they just updated it and I am not familiar yet with the new platform so it may be a 10 when I get into it.
Read Steven Hiersche, Jr.'s full review
February 09, 2021
Allan Eisenhauer | TrustRadius Reviewer
When we initially purchased this package/appliance is was used for backing up all of our user profiles, shared folders and offsite server volumes for recovery. About 2 years ago we transitioned from roaming profiles to OneDrive for Business, so currently we are only backing up server volumes and the shared folders that still have to reside locally. We had purchased this solution to move away from tape backups as we were running out of space holding onto all of the tapes for 90-120 back ups. Also the tape method took a long time if we had to attempt to recover a single file for one person whereas now within a matter of minutes I am able to pull down a copy of the missing/corrupt file for the end user.
  • User interface is nice and simple and their dashboard shows everything at a glance from protected assets, issues, and space left on the appliance.
  • The time it takes to recover a file is able to be done in a few minutes as compared to having to mount a tape and have it index to try to locate the file needed.
  • Their tech support is amazing and quick to respond to work with you on getting any back up errors or installation issues resolved.
  • Recently have had an [issue] since changing over from a MESH topology to SD-WAN where all of the servers outside our main office were no longer able to be backed up "file level" style, we had to switch them to "Image level".
  • The error reports for failed back ups can tend to be long and not always an easy read to determine what the issue is. Would be nice if the logs could link to a knowledge based article that could explain it better as well as offer possible solutions without having to contact support to get it resolved.
  • Since we are using an appliance to hold the back ups it would be nice to have some method of seeing all the data stored in order to determine if some old jobs could be deleted. I know they have an aging policy but there has been a time when we were running low on space and I probably could have gone in to delete some back ups for servers that are not vital to recover.
  • The availability to save/archive back ups from assets that are being removed from protection would be a nice option. I don't know if I am just missing it but when I remove an asset it always tells me that doing that will delete all back up jobs. This is something that I will have to ask next time I put in a support ticket or see if Unitrends has a place to ask for features to be added.
It has been perfect for backing up local servers and VMs. This is a scalable product where it can be cloud based or appliance based. There are several different size appliances available to suit most companies needs, from 2TB up to 120TB. If you need more storage space than 120TB then this option may not be for you unless you are willing to purchase multiple appliances to meet your need.
Read Allan Eisenhauer's full review
Steve MItchell | TrustRadius Reviewer
Unitrends Cloud Backup is reliable and automatic. Daily reports detail local and cloud backup jobs, and alerts of potential problems. Their recent addition of threat analysis of file changes between backups makes it even better.
  • Broad support of Operating Systems.
  • Native support of Hyper Visors.
  • Some important functions are difficult to find or nonintuitively placed.
We utilize the snapshot feature to continuously backup our accounting team data. this has saved us so much headache when they have a system crash. They can get back to where they were with minimal loss of time.
Read Steve MItchell's full review
john adamski | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Unitrends appliance at our main campus and remote campus about 200 miles from he main. we backup all the University's servers and data. Keep at least a month of backup on the appliance, with weekly archives to tape for required 24 month storage off-site. We seldom have problems and if we do it usually resolved quickly by Unitrends support. I think we only had 2-3 problems that didn't take a few minutes to resolved by initial tech.

Prior to Unitrends we had two different solutions, one for physical hardware and other for virtual servers. Unitrends allowed us to consolidate and simplify backups.
  • Rather simple to use and manage.
  • Great tech support.
  • Reliable hardware.
  • We had initial sizing problem with one appliance, once corrected had no problems.
  • Tape archiving a bit touchy, coders keep forgetting once all retention expired on tape it can be used again- so have to get hot fixes after major updates.
  • The push update to agents seems to fail more than works, simple to just go to server an install client updates though.
I hardly ever give 10's as nothing is that good. But Unitrends pretty close. Great hardware, great support, very few problems. and for the most part just works. If I skip a day monitoring I seldom regret that as Unitrends just works. And we like it can connect to tape library to meet our 24 month of monthly archives.
Read john adamski's full review
Jason Lane | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have the Unitrends UB software deployed as virtual machines at two locations. I backup critical servers offsite to each location. We have multiple backup types in play, from Exchange databases, bare metal restores, and file based backups running daily. We also backup monthly to the RXDA device. Restores are fast and job management is as simple as I could hope for.
  • File level recovery is fast and easy to browse files granularly.
  • Job deployment is quick and the job calendar is very helpful to review and plan.
  • The gui is intuitive and easy to use.
  • The customer support has been the best of any different services we subscribe to.
  • Managing disk space is a bit difficult but rarely an issue.
  • Logs are a bit cryptic but are full of useful info when you learn how to read them.
  • The agents need updated a bit more often that I want to.
By far the best Backup utility I have used, it exceeds expectations for capabilities with types of backups available, and types of recovery options. So many options available, options to backup to cloud, and I cannot say enough about the great customer support. I am happy to recommend this company to colleagues.
Read Jason Lane's full review

Universal recovery (284)
Live recovery (273)
Recovery verification (272)
Business application protection (247)
Multiple backup destinations (250)
Incremental backup identification (319)
Backup to the cloud (198)
Deduplication and file compression (306)
Snapshots (229)

What is Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery?

The Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliances are hardware developed for data backup and management. They cover enterprise backup, ransomware detection, recovery assurance, proactive monitoring, and cloud continuity into a single platform for organizations of all sizes.

The lowest cost offering is for their virtual backup appliances that can deploy on-premises or in the cloud, these start at around $350. There is also an option for on-appliance recovery appliances, starting at $5,500 with up to 8TB and 64 GB RAM. Lastly, their new Recovery Series Gen 8 Appliances, which are all-in-one backup appliances, start at around $2,750, ranging from 2 TB to 120 TB. Depending on your organization’s exact needs, costs can reach as high as $200,000.

Additional features:

Ransomware Protection

Appliances include predictive analytics that monitor data characteristics, flag suspicious files, and alert administrators to threats.

Recovery Assurance

Its Recover Assurance tool provides automated failover, recovery testing, and compliance reporting.

Monitoring & Support

Recovery Series backup appliances include predictive analytics that anticipate hardware problems and send out alerts before issues occur. Once an issue is detected, a member of Unitrends’s support team will notify users and help to resolve the problem pre-emptively.