https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/mh/E0/3SFEIO3D2WNN.PNGUnitrends recovered my belief in quality support!We use the UniTrends UEB vAppliances to backup and replicate all of our servers. It is used across the entire organization. It has allowed the city to reduce its spend by consolidating three backup platforms down to one and restores are quick and easy. So far, if the restore request was within our SLA, we have a 100% recovery record.,UniTrends instant recovery feature is just that, instant recovery. As long as your backup storage resides on fast storage, once you click the 'Instant recovery' button, the server is accessible within a few seconds. Support is tremendous. Like most backup solutions, UniTrends has not been without issues. Every time I have engaged support, I have been incredibly impressed with their willingness to assist and their ability to resolve our issues. The new interface is intuitive and easy to use.,Detailed activity monitoring is a little lacking. For example. I'd like to know the speed of replication but, instead of Gbps numbers, I only see 1/4, 2/4... etc. Clarification of the 'Tear Down' feature used for getting rid of recent restores is slightly counter-intuitive. I expect this to give me the option of just releasing the management of the restore from the Unitrends appliance. However, I have deleted the live machine out of my VMware environment and had to restore again once - now I'm a little hesitant to do the tear downs. A warning 'You are about to delete the active recovered machine' or a 'click here to remove the Tear Down prompt from the Unitrends interface or click HERE to delete the recovered machine' would be helpful. Agent installations are not as intuitive as I think they could be. If you are only backing up VMs with no application awareness, it's great. If you need SQL-aware or Cisco UC-aware backups, it's more difficult.,9,Recovered individual files with ease. Instantly recovered development machines when ill-advised changes have been made. Incremental Forever technology has allowed us to backup all of our devices daily without scheduling fulls. Our ability to recover various versions of files and folders reliably has been a big help.,We were managing 3 disparate backup/replication solutions: Veeam, Symantec's Backup Exec, and DoubleTake. The expense of maintaining coverage for these three was prohibitively expensive. We were stuck behind the curve with VMware 5.5 because our Veeam version was out of date and not covered (because they enticed us to purchase by throwing in the 'Enterprise Plus' level license - we did not realize we'd have to forklift downgrade to avoid the expensive renewal cost of Enterprise Plus). This ultimately forced our hand to move off of Veeam even though Veeam's product is solid.,Barracuda Backup, Veeam Backup & Replication, Altaro Hyper-V Backup and Symantec Backup ExecUnitrends - the best kept secret in backup[It's being used as a] complete backup for our clients either as an on-premise solution, managed solution or remote backup solution. We are using it for both virtual and physical backups as well as application and file backups. We are also utilizing the replication and cloud features. This ensures local and off-site backups and provides fast restores and application consistent data.,Easy to use interface. Full virtualization support. Physical server support. Full application support. Scriptable via powershell.,Improved KVM support. Improved XEN Server support.,10,Ensure application consistent backups Recover to Azure DR site Unified backup solution,All other solutions where either very complex to handle, use and support or did not fully support all our requirements.,Tivoli Storage Manager, Symantec Backup Exec, Veeam Backup & Replication and CommVault,Yes,Price Product Features Product Usability Analyst Reports,For future backup evalutions I would add criteria to make it simple to move backup between on-premise and cloud and have broad support for major cloud solutions like Azure and AWS. In this way I'm not making it hard to migrate if at some point it makes sense. With Boomerang I can even automate it here.,Yes,9,No,I had a Unitrends tech work with me on the phone for 5 hours straight, to get backup up and running for a client over the weekend after a combination of disasters, not following best practice and misunderstandings their backup was completely screwed and needed to be reimplementet, and the support team helped every step to make sure this happened.Unitrends Good, Bad and UglyUnitrends was chosen for our North American datacenters for its appliance based backup. We needed both storage and a backup solution and wanted to ensure it was simple, single pane of glass management and supported archiving. The Recovery appliance filled all of our needs. We currently backup 20-30TB of data in each of our two datacenters.,Simple configuration - from the box to backup in under one hour. Scheduled archives, encryption in transit and at rest, simple managment The New UI is much nicer but both are capable and are still being used.,The one major complaint I have is that the storage is not scaleable. With the innovations out there like hyperconverged solutions and software defined datacenters, you would think that adding an additional NAS / Appliance would be all that was needed to scale to a larger data target Failure of a vcenter, even though it is backed up, is a catastrophic failure. Removing the identity of the device and recreation of the backup jobs makes this a very problematic restore. Major upgrades are done only by request. When they release new product versions you have to call them and ask for it to be available for you. No other company does this. Very poor service.,6,Price per TB of backup and ease of use lent to a positive impact on our network. Instant recovery is a big plus, although a little clunky. Negative impact was resulting from needing to manage multiple appliances or multiple storage providers to scale to larger footprint.,We had to manage a storage vendor / solution, a replication vendor / solution a backup software vendor / solution previously. Now it is all in one. That said having one throat to choke as it were is best when the target is able to overcome any issue and successfully solve the issues at hand.,Veeam Backup & Replication, Cohesity and NetworkerUni means 1 & Trends means upward direction. So 1 upward direction = UnitrendsWe use Unitrends across our whole organization. The biggest thing that is addressed is reliability and simplicity. The disk to disk backups and archive, is so much better than tape backups. Speed and accuracy are key, and because it is disk and not tape, swapping out disks is a very fast and simple process.,We like the way the backups run and the way the schedule can be staggered. Our Unitrends appliance does a great job of de-duplication. It all happens behind the scenes without any intervention for us. Notifications are a big thing with Unitrends. There really is not an issue of something slipping by or being missed. You really know what is going on at all times. Recovering files for users couldn't be easier. The easy to understand GUI gives you a lot of information through a single pane of glass.,One thing that comes to mind is that when there is an update to the GUI, it seems that the placement of information is changed a lot, or that a feature has been removed. There used to be notifications that would come up before I ever knew there was an issue. That was a great feature to have. I made us feel that Unitrends was really on top of things. We liked going directly through Unitrends to make purchases or upgrades instead of now going through a third party. There seems to be so much disconnect going through a third party.,9,Recovering files for users couldn't be easier. We like the verification and progress of the restore as well. Our ROI has been measured by the the amount of time we DON'T spend babysitting the appliance. Everything just works. We have recovered a few dead servers and the recovery process has been fairly easy. Because the data is stored on disk, the speed at which the recovery takes place is very quick. We have the ability to recover from the cloud but have not done so as of yet.,The prior challenges we experienced was that our backups were on tape and it took for ever to restore a file and we didn't have a 100% successful recovery. The backups were basically useless. We could not backup a lot of data at once because of the speed of the tape. It really gave us a lot of sleepless nights.,,3,2,Reliable backups Reliable restores Disaster Recovery,10UnitrendsWe use Unitrends to backup our virtual servers as well as our physical servers. It is being used by primarily the IT department. We are also doing a little bit of DR for a couple of our critical servers. The backups are more reliable than our old backup system which was tape leveraging Symantec BackupExec.,Unitrends product is very reliable. Unitrends does a good job of communicating backup success or failures. It allows me to have one solution for backing up both physical and virtual machines.,The newer Unitrends GUI interface is not as good as the old. Cloud replication is not good unless you have a very fast internet connection AS400 backups are not all that great.,8,On the plus side it has allowed me to recover files of shared drives that were inadvertently deleted. I sleep better at night as Unitrends is much more reliable than the backup to tape and disk using BackupExec I was using prior. It allowed me to also stop using Veeam to backup my virtual machines. Now it's all one solution.,We did not have a good reliable backup. We were not able to archive very well. Recovery was a problem as you have to find the right tape and go to the machine and mount it, then try and recover the file which wasn't always quick or successful. Virtual machines were backing up but was not off site.,
Windows, Linux, Mac
Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Reviews

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance
Top Rated Award
Filter 318 vetted Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance reviews and ratings
John Piercy profile photo
July 10, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Unitrends recovered my belief in quality support!"

• UniTrends instant recovery feature is just that, instant recovery. As long as your backup storage resides on fast storage, once you click the 'Instant recovery' button, the server is accessible within a few seconds.
  • Support is tremendous. Like most backup solutions, UniTrends has not been without issues. Every time I have engaged support, I have been incredibly impressed with their willingness to assist and their ability to resolve our issues.
  • The new interface is intuitive and easy to use.
  • Detailed activity monitoring is a little lacking. For example. I'd like to know the speed of replication but, instead of Gbps numbers, I only see 1/4, 2/4... etc.
  • Clarification of the 'Tear Down' feature used for getting rid of recent restores is slightly counter-intuitive. I expect this to give me the option of just releasing the management of the restore from the Unitrends appliance. However, I have deleted the live machine out of my VMware environment and had to restore again once - now I'm a little hesitant to do the tear downs. A warning 'You are about to delete the active recovered machine' or a 'click here to remove the Tear Down prompt from the Unitrends interface or click HERE to delete the recovered machine' would be helpful.
  • Agent installations are not as intuitive as I think they could be. If you are only backing up VMs with no application awareness, it's great. If you need SQL-aware or Cisco UC-aware backups, it's more difficult.
For a purely virtualized environment, I love it. I recommend using it with fast storage if you want to benefit from the Instant Recovery feature. If you have slow storage like a USB disk drive - Instant Recovery may not be fun for you.
Read John Piercy's full review
Kristian H. Larsen - IT Drift og support profile photo
August 11, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Unitrends - the best kept secret in backup"

• Easy to use interface.
  • Full virtualization support.
  • Physical server support.
  • Full application support.
  • Scriptable via powershell.
  • Improved KVM support.
  • Improved XEN Server support.
For almost all scenarios Unitrends is an ideal solution. However, sometimes you will want to use the UEB software rather than the appliance. Workstation backup is not its strongest strength, though. If you can get the data to a server you are, however, well off when using either the appliance or the software solutions.
Read Kristian H. Larsen - IT Drift og support's full review
Allan Basso profile photo
July 28, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Unitrends Good, Bad and Ugly"

• Simple configuration - from the box to backup in under one hour.
  • Scheduled archives, encryption in transit and at rest, simple managment
  • The New UI is much nicer but both are capable and are still being used.
  • The one major complaint I have is that the storage is not scaleable. With the innovations out there like hyperconverged solutions and software defined datacenters, you would think that adding an additional NAS / Appliance would be all that was needed to scale to a larger data target
  • Failure of a vcenter, even though it is backed up, is a catastrophic failure. Removing the identity of the device and recreation of the backup jobs makes this a very problematic restore.
  • Major upgrades are done only by request. When they release new product versions you have to call them and ask for it to be available for you. No other company does this. Very poor service.
Smaller environments that are a mix of virtual and physical and areas where tape output is still needed are well suited for the Unitrends Recovery Appliances. I think a fully virtualized data center would find other solutions that fit better. If you don't need tape out, this is even more obvious.
Read Allan Basso's full review
Mike Addante profile photo
July 07, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Uni means 1 & Trends means upward direction. So 1 upward direction = Unitrends"

• We like the way the backups run and the way the schedule can be staggered.
  • Our Unitrends appliance does a great job of de-duplication. It all happens behind the scenes without any intervention for us.
  • Notifications are a big thing with Unitrends. There really is not an issue of something slipping by or being missed. You really know what is going on at all times.
  • Recovering files for users couldn't be easier. The easy to understand GUI gives you a lot of information through a single pane of glass.
  • One thing that comes to mind is that when there is an update to the GUI, it seems that the placement of information is changed a lot, or that a feature has been removed.
  • There used to be notifications that would come up before I ever knew there was an issue. That was a great feature to have. I made us feel that Unitrends was really on top of things.
  • We liked going directly through Unitrends to make purchases or upgrades instead of now going through a third party. There seems to be so much disconnect going through a third party.
Setup is simplistic and management of the backups and the appliance is very easy to understand. If you are looking to save time and get a good ROI, then Unitrends is a good choice. All disk backup is the way of the future and Unitrends have been doing things this way all along.
Read Mike Addante's full review
August 04, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Unitrends"

• Unitrends product is very reliable.
  • Unitrends does a good job of communicating backup success or failures.
  • It allows me to have one solution for backing up both physical and virtual machines.
  • The newer Unitrends GUI interface is not as good as the old.
  • Cloud replication is not good unless you have a very fast internet connection
  • AS400 backups are not all that great.
It is well suited for virtual and physical machines, it is very reliable and file level recovery is pretty quick and easy. The Unitrends support team is pretty good although sometimes you can't get them right away. It does not allow message level recovery for Exchange and it does not handle AS400 backups well.
July 12, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "A great system with easy to use management portal."

We use Unitrends to complete our daily backup of everything from file servers to our main SQL databases. Reliable backups, fast recovery, and set and forget management makes this system a must have. All software agents and tools are included in the price, with dedicated software clients for SQL, SharePoint, and Exchange. It is no longer is it necessary to purchase an add on for every client you would like to backup. It has reduced my time required daily for backup management to checking a couple of emails to ensure that everything has completed successfully.
  • Fast backups, easy recovery, and daily updates.
  • All software agents and tools are included in the price, with dedicated software clients for SQL, SharePoint, and Exchange. It is no longer is it necessary to purchase an add on for every client you would like to backup.
  • Set and forget management. It is not required to touch the system daily to ensure that your systems are getting backup.
  • Cost is a little on the expensive side. But the reliability of the system makes up.
  • System support is good but not a great as it once was.
  • System scheduling can be a little confusing until you get experienced.
Works great in small to medium sized environments. Manages backups of Virtual systems amazingly well, but has been known to cause small problems with stranded snapshots in our VM systems. Each system is backup quickly and easily, but finding the correct balance between retention and expense can be difficult. Overall a great system but plan and purchasing extra storage because backups grow quickly.
Andrew Murphy profile photo
May 03, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Unitrends Recovery Series Backup measures up!"

Our entire environment is virtualized. We use both file-based backup and snapshot backups to protect our VMs. Unitrends provides a backup to disk. It also replicates to a remote appliance so you have offsite protection. We've added an RXDA unit to do archiving and add longer retention than can fit on the size hardware we have.
  • Awesome Tech Support! I was new to Unitrends and they went over the environment and fixed some serious setup issues and made sure everything backed up correctly!
  • I was researching a larger appliance to increase the size of data I backup. I needed to compare other vendors as well. Unitrends was a lower cost than other appliances I researched in the market.
  • Clear reporting to make it easier to sleep at night!
  • Only feature I can think to add is one I saw in a competitor Datto, being able to run the VMs on the appliance without using an ESXI host. Unitrends can do instant recovery and run the files on itself but you need a working ESXI host to connect to.
Small to medium sized businesses are definitely a great fit for Unitrends. Low cost and high performance. Great way to have backups and remotes automatically replicated.
Read Andrew Murphy's full review
Rob Jones profile photo
May 02, 2017

Review: "Get a handle on your Backups with UniTrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance"

Our business is small, so when I say the whole organization uses it, well, it does.
  • File level restores are easy to perform at any time.
  • Initial set up and Linux agent installs are very easy to configure.
  • Reports can be generated on the fly or configured for certain time of day.
  • The dashboard can give you, at a glance, the status of your backups.
  • Some aspects, such as Recovery Archive status, could be improved. Right now, I have to manually search for my RXDA unit before it shows up. However, any copy jobs will automatically cause it to re-enable itself.
  • There are times when I wished the Active Jobs showed more up-to-date info on the backups.
The Backup Appliance is suitable for any business. Large or small. Appliances can be added anytime and joined to the existing backup network seamlessly.
Read Rob Jones's full review
Christian Ball profile photo
April 21, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Unitrends - So far so good!"

We use Unitrends Recovery across our infrastructure to backup both physical servers and virtual machines. The business problems it addresses are that it gives us a reliable, easy to use backup scenario. We use UEB to backup/restore data and we also have the Reliable Disaster Recovery programme that allows us to test that the last backup taken could be used to restore from if needed in a DR scenario.
  • The user interface is a real positive of Unitrends, it is easy to use and everything is in its logical place, which with other backup software isn't always the case! From creating a backup schedule to running a report on data usage it can all be done in a few clicks!
  • Data restores are another great thing about UEB, it is very easy to go into the backup set you require and restore what it is you need if its the whole of a C drive or a single file.
  • The support that Unitrends offers for its products is very good, whenever we have had any issues that we haven't been able to resolve ourselves we often contact Unitrends via web chat. They will then advise you on a fix or you can open a support tunnel for them to access the appliance remotely. Either way in my experience they will get the issue resolved.
  • In some cases the backup failure messages don't provide enough information to successfully troubleshoot the issue, some refer you to the Unitrends knowledge base for more info but this has little or no information in some cases.
  • UEB helps us backup our infrastructure and gives us peace of mind that the backups do work if they are ever needed in a DR scenario.
  • UEB does have cloud integration with Azure, AWS and has its own offering called Forever Cloud but UEB may not be the best choice if you just need to get data backed up and offsite.
Read Christian Ball's full review
Michael Chianese profile photo
April 10, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance: "Unitrends Review"

We use Unitrends for all of our backups, including server, SAN, and virtualization.
  • Very easy to understand UI, you don't need to be an expert to manage backups.
  • Integration with a wide range of resources, including multiple virtualization technologies.
  • No virtualization agents needed (unlike Networker), and windows agents are easy to deploy.
  • Finer grained backup retention, instead of FIFO. One might want to have monthly full backups with a longer retention that daily incremental.
  • Slow UI when it comes to the recovery menu, especially when there are a lot of resources to tabulate.
  • I've had a few support calls that went unanswered for days at a time lately. This is usually not the case, however, recently its been an issue for me.
Unitrends is actually pretty well rounded and can be suited for a lot of different scenarios, especially when you have a mixed virtual/physical environment. It is also well suited for "do it yourself" recoveries. You can allow technical people to restore their own items.
Read Michael Chianese's full review
Yonah Sapir profile photo
March 28, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Go Unitrends!!"

As a vendor of IT products I have a large amount of options to partner with and help customers choose from. And I have sold them ALL. I have YET to have an unsatisfied customer that went with the Unitrends solutions. The demos are crisp. The solutions are easy to install and easy to maintain and scale. Support is top notch.
  • Scalable.
  • Excellent deduplication.
  • Easy to implement for on-prem or cloud or hybrid.
  • The GUI can be more sleek
When you need an easy way to dedupe and manage your storage.
Read Yonah Sapir's full review
Márcio Isidro profile photo
March 14, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Unitrends - The ransomware aware solution!"

All my company backups are done by Untirends Recovery Series Backup Appliance. Starting from servers (virtual and physical) and ending on desktops. It is very important to backup the entire infrastructure in case of a hardware failure. Unitrends is capable of running virtual machines inside it with a feature called instant recovery. With this, my business critical machines almost will never stop. Unitrends changed my backup window to half the time spent before and the space used too, the de-duplication is very very high.
  • Decuplication
  • Database recovery
  • Instant recovery
  • Email item recovery
  • Support kvm
  • Support server 2016
unitrends Recovery Series Backup appliance is well suited for companies that have an on-premises infrastructure, servers or desktops. If the servers are all in the cloud, then the recovery series could not be the option but unitrends has that solution too.
Read Márcio Isidro's full review
Richard Barker profile photo
March 08, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Two Words: Performance & Reliability"

Unitrends Backup Appliance revolutionized our conversations about backup and disaster recovery. Before our many favorable experiences with Unitrends, our backup solutions consisted of unreliable backup to disk and/or tape. Backup schedules and rotations were often neglected by many of our clients, prior to introducing them to Unitrends. Unitrends allows us to have confidence not only in our backups but our ability to retrieve that backup and restore it quickly and accurately.
  • Reliable schedules.
  • Automated confirmation alerts.
  • Fast recovery/restoration.
  • For smaller customers, we would like to see a true cloud only solution.
  • Perhaps an agent-less cloud solution that requires no onsite hardware.
This solution can provide a right-sized backup, offsite retention, and DR solution for the largest and smallest customer requirement.
Read Richard Barker's full review
Geomar Morales profile photo
March 08, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Unitrends is the Shiznit!"

Currently it is being used across our entire company. It is our main back up solution here at Ouray Sportswear. It is fast; the clients on each server are extremely light weight and do not take up much resources at all when running. Customer support is lacking though. System runs great until it crashes, once down it can take a while to get back up. Support can use some help!
  • Great solution to restore files and emails on the fly.
  • Fast at spinning up SQL restores and test environments.
  • Archiving options for both tape and cloud are awesome.
  • Would like to see more all in one options. I believe restoring of emails should be part of the solution and not an additional cost.
  • Better upgrade and buy back programs.
  • Support! System runs awesome but when its having issues and you need support, this can be a challenge. Do not wait for call backs, they can take forever!!
Its great for installing file restores for file databases. If you have email software, it's a really fast way of restoring emails/inboxes. It provides the ability to spin up an SQL DB on the fly. Only rated a 7 because support can be critical, and Unitrends seems to be lacking in this area as of late.
Read Geomar Morales's full review
Matthew DeGrandis profile photo
March 07, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance: "Unitrends Backup Review"

My Unitrends Recovery Series performs incremental backups on a flexible schedule to accomplish our recovery goals. We can recover to dissimilar hardware, a virtual machine, or simply grab a few files out of a backup if that is what we need. We also use it to store copies of our data offsite. We can test our disaster recovery plans, as well as test individual backups. Our organization relies on it to protect the business in the case of a disaster.
  • Incremental Forever Backups -- Only one full required.
  • Data Deduplication -- More backups are able to fit on the appliance.
  • Price is high relative to others.
  • It is easy to sacrifice capacity to get a lower price -- which means the unit is too small in years to come.

Unitrends has always worked well in my mostly Windows environment. The documentation is well written and informative for all of the scenarios that I've run into, and if it doesn't answer my question or my environment is different, support has always been there to answer those questions. Support is highly recommended as the engineers are very familiar with the product and they go above and beyond for their customers.

The new interface is a large improvement over the old flashed based one.

Unitrends can backup a variety of applications, but be aware that while Exchange and SharePoint can be restored by Unitrends, to do single item recovery requires an additional third party license (Kroll OnTrack) which at the time of purchase wasn't super clear and caused a bit of a kerfuffle during an incident that we had to recover some individual mail items.

Legal Hold is a feature that is likely to cause lots of issues if you use it without fully understanding it. It isn't a bad feature, but a lack of space and not planning for legal hold will cause lots of backups to fail.

Read Matthew DeGrandis's full review
Sue Scott profile photo
June 05, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Unitrends is a Smart Business Solution"

Unitrends is used by a number of our customers. It is an easy to use end user product that allows for safe storage, backup, and recovery of their data. Customer service is always a plus with Unitrends and our customers have an incredible experience with their US-based customer service.
  • Customer Service response and support
  • Reliable Backup
  • Cloud Storage
  • Relaible DR
  • Unitrends renewals can be somewhat costly compared to other vendors
Unitrends actually is a great solution across mid-size to enterprise customers. It may be cost-prohibitive to a very small organization.
Read Sue Scott's full review
Christian Pelchat profile photo
May 31, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Happy with Unitrends"

It's being used by our organization to backup and archive. With the backup copy, we can have our backup offsite. We manage around 40 TB of backups. We have a lot of reports on the jobs, deduplication, and compression.
  • Ease of use
  • Easy to backup a virtual environment (Hyper-V)
  • Easy to get replication offsite
  • Cost of support
It manages all our backup needs.
Read Christian Pelchat's full review
Peter Holm profile photo
March 07, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Unitrends' support is a good experience."

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance is used for backup and recovery for the organisation I work for.
  • I specially like Unitrends support.
  • I found the interface nice to work in.
  • This far it has been a good investment.
  • I would appreciate an easy and clear way to perform recovery.
Read Peter Holm's full review
Sunil Dass profile photo
January 03, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Unitrend Backup Device"

Our appliance is being used across the whole organization. It failed to address our business problems.

The regional sales manager over promised and over sold the solution. Unitrends did not stand by its product, and after working over a year and 9 months, they finally escalated our problem to the development team. They were able to solve one of the problems we encountered since the time of purchase.

The reason I selected Unitrend Recovery Backup Appliance was based off the demo and what was told to me by the sales manager. We were told the following:

• No purchases for SQL Agents when backing SQL Servers. We will cunt out SQL backup window in half. We would be able to do table restore for SQL databases and faster recovery for any SQL Database.
  • No agent purchase required for MS Exchange backups.
  • No additional purchase required to add our Citrix Virtual Servers and host.
  • We would be able to restore any Citrix Virtual Server in a faster time than what we were encountering.
  • MS Exchange Mailbox restore would be possible.
  • Longer backup retention on the device hard disk because of the compression.
  • I can’t say it does anything well. It was not able to backup our SQL server well.
  • Was not able to back our critical SQL Server.
  • Was not able to backup our Citrix Virtual Servers.
  • Was told it will be able to backup our Citrix Virtual Servers and after working with Support for over 3 months was told it will be in the next software update. After 6 months we were told it would not be able to backup our Citrix Virtual Servers. This was one of the main reasons for making the purchase.

Was unable to accommodate our SQL backups as was promised.

Was told it will be able to backup our Citrix Virtual Servers and, after working with Support for over 3 months, was told it will be in the next software update. After 6 months we were told it would not be able to backup our Citrix Virtual Servers. This was one of the main reason for making the purchase.

Was told the solution will improve our SQL backups and recovery for our SQL Servers and cut down on the time. The device failed to do what was promised and only 3 weeks ago we are able to setup our backup jobs the way we wanted.

The company does not stand by its product and the sales people over sales. Not happy with the support and sales team. The solution did not solve or help in our environment and the disk compression on the device was not as promised.

Read Sunil Dass's full review
April 03, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance: "Unitrends Backup Appliance Review"

We use two Unitrends Backup Appliances with archivers in two different physical locations. Our primary site is backed up to the one appliance and then replicated to the off-site appliance, both appliances are then archived periodically to removable drives which are kept and stored. It handles the backup and recovery for the entire organization. We have been using it for 3 years and to date have had no major issues. What issues we have had were quickly resolved by customer support.
  • Reliable backup and recovery of agent based servers including things like Exchange and SQL databases. Having used another backup appliance it would do this as well but the Unitrends reliability and interface when backing up and restoring is far superior.
  • Replication on the Unitrends is probably the best I've seen in a long time. The ability to replicate between 2 devices is quite common but the Unitrends seems to handle it for more efficiently.
  • Retention settings on the Unitrends are easy to set up and actually work unlike our previous system, and the ability to archive our backups off to standard 3.5" drives is great and suits our needs perfectly.
  • Customer Support is Grade A+. These guys do not stop until you're happy and/or the problem has been fixed. I very seldom see support at this level and it's great to know that if I have a problem all I have to do is call them up.
  • One thing I would like to see is the ability to restore individual emails (mounting the database) without the use of a third party software. Honestly I've only ever had to restore anything from an Exchange DB once since getting the Unitrends and there are ways around needing the third party but some sort of interface built into the Unitrends for such a scenario would be great.
I can't think of anywhere it would not be appropriate. It's a backup appliance and works great. We had another appliance before moving to Unitrends and the difference is night and day. The unitrends appliance feels like something designed for backup whereas the other one felt more like something designed for other tasks and then re-purposed. Bottom line is that if you need to backup anything take a look at what they offer.
April 20, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Best backup ever!"

We use it to protect our physical and virtual environment. Mostly it's running a Windows server and also Cisco BE6K, as well as a database.
  • Easy reporting, red or green status and you know your back up was successful.
  • Incremental forever, no need to spend time running weekly fulls or monthly, fast backup process.
  • Quick and easy restore process, just choose what to restore, either systems or files or a live restore.
  • I would like the new interface to be as useful as the old one was.
I believe it will work for any environment, whether you are running a physical, virtual or a mix. There are limitations with Citrix and it covers large versions of operating systems. It is an enterprise solution that works for an SMB as well.
April 06, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Unitrends delivered exactly what we needed"

We are using VMware UEB appliances both at our main datacenter and DR/BC site across town. Local backup jobs, backup copy jobs and ReliableDR are all being deployed/utilized. This solution is our answer to an aging Backup Exec tape backup system, and delivers the SLAs and RPOs required of the different business units that are considered mission critical. We are currently protecting about 18 TB worth of data
  • Simplicity in implementation/setup
  • Just works
  • UI is easy to navigate
  • Better documentation on the backup target seeding process
  • Make NAS devices available for rent, to do initial seed of backup target
  • That's all I can come up with
If you have need of local backups, with instant recovery, then Unitrends is well suited for your needs. They are also an excellent solution for DR/BC
March 27, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Unitrends: Yet another engineer's perspective!"

Currently we are using the Unitrends platform to offer DR-as-a-Service to our MSP customers, and as a solid reliable backup/recovery platform for several of our Professional Services customers too.
  • The Reliable DR platform is a BIG win!! Being able to report on not just the state of your backups, but also to certify/test recoverability.
  • The new UI is very easy to use and much quicker/responsive than the 'legacy UI' (It did need a face lift!).
  • The support team is way ahead of the game & if the support doesn't have an answer for you - they will reach out to the team for help (while on the call/live chat session), as opposed to feeding you wrong information - to close the ticket.
  • Third Party Integrations (Seems that there is a road-map to it with the Powershell Toolkit, but we are not there just yet!).
  • Adding storage in a mis-configured way on day 1 can limit your flexibility with the storage when you are further down the road with the appliances and housing more data + need to ADD more storage.
Unitrends is more than just a backup solution. It can be used to spin up/down DEV environments based on prior backups, so that code can be tested against 'current production configurations' without directly impacting production.
Another scenario that it can assist with - although not totally recommended - is P2V migrations. The ability to restore a physical backup to an ESX host (for example - in an emergency situation) is brilliant!!
June 06, 2017

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Unitrends Pro"

We are using Unitrends for backing up all of our servers (Linux, OES, Windows, and SQL). We have been using Unitrends for about 4 years now and are very happy with this service. We have upgraded to a newer server and had limited issues and phone support was quick and very helpful.
  • Supports Novell Clients
  • Quick communication
  • Data analysis
  • Add support for Google
It has served well for what we have. We are starting to bridge into VM support and will continue to see how that grows into the use for Unitrends.
Jeremy Judnic profile photo
November 11, 2016

Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "No Recovery Needed From This Purchase."

We use Unitrends to backup all of our server environments. The information technology department handles all of the day to day operations of the hardware and software of the Unitrends appliance. Users request data restores from the IT department, and we use Unitrends to stay ISO compliant by backing up and archiving all of our company's applications and data.
  • No licensing! Any new operating systems or file systems added to the backup appliance can be added on the fly without having to reach out to a sales rep.
  • It supports nearly every operating system for backup and restore purposes.
  • Built in bare-metal backups for Windows allows you to restore a virtual machine to a physical box if needed, and vice versa.
  • VMWare instant recovery allows the appliance to become a datastore for virtual environments in a pinch.
  • Interface is slow to respond.
  • Interface is currently in transition, and you need to use the new and old interfaces to do certain tasks.
Unitrends is great as a set it and forget it kind of backup system and as giving you a whole array of features and customization options if you need them. Any new system you add can be set to auto backup, or you can create your own schedule. On the software/appliance you can set retention dates to keep data for a certain period of time which lets you customize the data retention to your own needs.
Read Jeremy Judnic's full review

Universal recovery (154)
Live recovery (144)
Recovery verification (153)
Business application protection (142)
Multiple backup destinations (132)
6.6
Incremental backup identification (177)
Backup to the cloud (93)
Deduplication and file compression (167)
Snapshots (116)

About Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance

The Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliances offers an all-in-one backup appliance, with cloud-empowered backup and recovery, solid state drives, and a pledge of free hardware forever.