Reviews (1-25 of 185)
Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Unitrends recovered my belief in quality support!"
- UniTrends instant recovery feature is just that, instant recovery. As long as your backup storage resides on fast storage, once you click the 'Instant recovery' button, the server is accessible within a few seconds.
- Support is tremendous. Like most backup solutions, UniTrends has not been without issues. Every time I have engaged support, I have been incredibly impressed with their willingness to assist and their ability to resolve our issues.
- The new interface is intuitive and easy to use.
- Detailed activity monitoring is a little lacking. For example. I'd like to know the speed of replication but, instead of Gbps numbers, I only see 1/4, 2/4... etc.
- Clarification of the 'Tear Down' feature used for getting rid of recent restores is slightly counter-intuitive. I expect this to give me the option of just releasing the management of the restore from the Unitrends appliance. However, I have deleted the live machine out of my VMware environment and had to restore again once - now I'm a little hesitant to do the tear downs. A warning 'You are about to delete the active recovered machine' or a 'click here to remove the Tear Down prompt from the Unitrends interface or click HERE to delete the recovered machine' would be helpful.
- Agent installations are not as intuitive as I think they could be. If you are only backing up VMs with no application awareness, it's great. If you need SQL-aware or Cisco UC-aware backups, it's more difficult.
- Simple configuration - from the box to backup in under one hour.
- Scheduled archives, encryption in transit and at rest, simple managment
- The New UI is much nicer but both are capable and are still being used.
- The one major complaint I have is that the storage is not scaleable. With the innovations out there like hyperconverged solutions and software defined datacenters, you would think that adding an additional NAS / Appliance would be all that was needed to scale to a larger data target
- Failure of a vcenter, even though it is backed up, is a catastrophic failure. Removing the identity of the device and recreation of the backup jobs makes this a very problematic restore.
- Major upgrades are done only by request. When they release new product versions you have to call them and ask for it to be available for you. No other company does this. Very poor service.
Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "Uni means 1 & Trends means upward direction. So 1 upward direction = Unitrends"
- We like the way the backups run and the way the schedule can be staggered.
- Our Unitrends appliance does a great job of de-duplication. It all happens behind the scenes without any intervention for us.
- Notifications are a big thing with Unitrends. There really is not an issue of something slipping by or being missed. You really know what is going on at all times.
- Recovering files for users couldn't be easier. The easy to understand GUI gives you a lot of information through a single pane of glass.
- One thing that comes to mind is that when there is an update to the GUI, it seems that the placement of information is changed a lot, or that a feature has been removed.
- There used to be notifications that would come up before I ever knew there was an issue. That was a great feature to have. I made us feel that Unitrends was really on top of things.
- We liked going directly through Unitrends to make purchases or upgrades instead of now going through a third party. There seems to be so much disconnect going through a third party.
- Awesome Tech Support! I was new to Unitrends and they went over the environment and fixed some serious setup issues and made sure everything backed up correctly!
- I was researching a larger appliance to increase the size of data I backup. I needed to compare other vendors as well. Unitrends was a lower cost than other appliances I researched in the market.
- Clear reporting to make it easier to sleep at night!
- Only feature I can think to add is one I saw in a competitor Datto, being able to run the VMs on the appliance without using an ESXI host. Unitrends can do instant recovery and run the files on itself but you need a working ESXI host to connect to.
- File level restores are easy to perform at any time.
- Initial set up and Linux agent installs are very easy to configure.
- Reports can be generated on the fly or configured for certain time of day.
- The dashboard can give you, at a glance, the status of your backups.
- Some aspects, such as Recovery Archive status, could be improved. Right now, I have to manually search for my RXDA unit before it shows up. However, any copy jobs will automatically cause it to re-enable itself.
- There are times when I wished the Active Jobs showed more up-to-date info on the backups.
- The user interface is a real positive of Unitrends, it is easy to use and everything is in its logical place, which with other backup software isn't always the case! From creating a backup schedule to running a report on data usage it can all be done in a few clicks!
- Data restores are another great thing about UEB, it is very easy to go into the backup set you require and restore what it is you need if its the whole of a C drive or a single file.
- The support that Unitrends offers for its products is very good, whenever we have had any issues that we haven't been able to resolve ourselves we often contact Unitrends via web chat. They will then advise you on a fix or you can open a support tunnel for them to access the appliance remotely. Either way in my experience they will get the issue resolved.
- In some cases the backup failure messages don't provide enough information to successfully troubleshoot the issue, some refer you to the Unitrends knowledge base for more info but this has little or no information in some cases.
- UEB helps us backup our infrastructure and gives us peace of mind that the backups do work if they are ever needed in a DR scenario.
- UEB does have cloud integration with Azure, AWS and has its own offering called Forever Cloud but UEB may not be the best choice if you just need to get data backed up and offsite.
- Very easy to understand UI, you don't need to be an expert to manage backups.
- Integration with a wide range of resources, including multiple virtualization technologies.
- No virtualization agents needed (unlike Networker), and windows agents are easy to deploy.
- Finer grained backup retention, instead of FIFO. One might want to have monthly full backups with a longer retention that daily incremental.
- Slow UI when it comes to the recovery menu, especially when there are a lot of resources to tabulate.
- I've had a few support calls that went unanswered for days at a time lately. This is usually not the case, however, recently its been an issue for me.
- Reliable schedules.
- Automated confirmation alerts.
- Fast recovery/restoration.
- For smaller customers, we would like to see a true cloud only solution.
- Perhaps an agent-less cloud solution that requires no onsite hardware.
- Great solution to restore files and emails on the fly.
- Fast at spinning up SQL restores and test environments.
- Archiving options for both tape and cloud are awesome.
- Would like to see more all in one options. I believe restoring of emails should be part of the solution and not an additional cost.
- Better upgrade and buy back programs.
- Support! System runs awesome but when its having issues and you need support, this can be a challenge. Do not wait for call backs, they can take forever!!
- Incremental Forever Backups -- Only one full required.
- Data Deduplication -- More backups are able to fit on the appliance.
- Price is high relative to others.
- It is easy to sacrifice capacity to get a lower price -- which means the unit is too small in years to come.
Unitrends has always worked well in my mostly Windows environment. The documentation is well written and informative for all of the scenarios that I've run into, and if it doesn't answer my question or my environment is different, support has always been there to answer those questions. Support is highly recommended as the engineers are very familiar with the product and they go above and beyond for their customers.
The new interface is a large improvement over the old flashed based one.
Unitrends can backup a variety of applications, but be aware that while Exchange and SharePoint can be restored by Unitrends, to do single item recovery requires an additional third party license (Kroll OnTrack) which at the time of purchase wasn't super clear and caused a bit of a kerfuffle during an incident that we had to recover some individual mail items.
Legal Hold is a feature that is likely to cause lots of issues if you use it without fully understanding it. It isn't a bad feature, but a lack of space and not planning for legal hold will cause lots of backups to fail.
- Unitrends product is very reliable.
- Unitrends does a good job of communicating backup success or failures.
- It allows me to have one solution for backing up both physical and virtual machines.
- The newer Unitrends GUI interface is not as good as the old.
- Cloud replication is not good unless you have a very fast internet connection
- AS400 backups are not all that great.
Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Review: "A great system with easy to use management portal."
- Fast backups, easy recovery, and daily updates.
- All software agents and tools are included in the price, with dedicated software clients for SQL, SharePoint, and Exchange. It is no longer is it necessary to purchase an add on for every client you would like to backup.
- Set and forget management. It is not required to touch the system daily to ensure that your systems are getting backup.
- Cost is a little on the expensive side. But the reliability of the system makes up.
- System support is good but not a great as it once was.
- System scheduling can be a little confusing until you get experienced.
- Reliable backup and recovery of agent based servers including things like Exchange and SQL databases. Having used another backup appliance it would do this as well but the Unitrends reliability and interface when backing up and restoring is far superior.
- Replication on the Unitrends is probably the best I've seen in a long time. The ability to replicate between 2 devices is quite common but the Unitrends seems to handle it for more efficiently.
- Retention settings on the Unitrends are easy to set up and actually work unlike our previous system, and the ability to archive our backups off to standard 3.5" drives is great and suits our needs perfectly.
- Customer Support is Grade A+. These guys do not stop until you're happy and/or the problem has been fixed. I very seldom see support at this level and it's great to know that if I have a problem all I have to do is call them up.
- One thing I would like to see is the ability to restore individual emails (mounting the database) without the use of a third party software. Honestly I've only ever had to restore anything from an Exchange DB once since getting the Unitrends and there are ways around needing the third party but some sort of interface built into the Unitrends for such a scenario would be great.
- Easy reporting, red or green status and you know your back up was successful.
- Incremental forever, no need to spend time running weekly fulls or monthly, fast backup process.
- Quick and easy restore process, just choose what to restore, either systems or files or a live restore.
- I would like the new interface to be as useful as the old one was.
- Simplicity in implementation/setup
- Just works
- UI is easy to navigate
- Better documentation on the backup target seeding process
- Make NAS devices available for rent, to do initial seed of backup target
- That's all I can come up with
- The Reliable DR platform is a BIG win!! Being able to report on not just the state of your backups, but also to certify/test recoverability.
- The new UI is very easy to use and much quicker/responsive than the 'legacy UI' (It did need a face lift!).
- The support team is way ahead of the game & if the support doesn't have an answer for you - they will reach out to the team for help (while on the call/live chat session), as opposed to feeding you wrong information - to close the ticket.
- Third Party Integrations (Seems that there is a road-map to it with the Powershell Toolkit, but we are not there just yet!).
- Adding storage in a mis-configured way on day 1 can limit your flexibility with the storage when you are further down the road with the appliances and housing more data + need to ADD more storage.
Another scenario that it can assist with - although not totally recommended - is P2V migrations. The ability to restore a physical backup to an ESX host (for example - in an emergency situation) is brilliant!!
- No licensing! Any new operating systems or file systems added to the backup appliance can be added on the fly without having to reach out to a sales rep.
- It supports nearly every operating system for backup and restore purposes.
- Built in bare-metal backups for Windows allows you to restore a virtual machine to a physical box if needed, and vice versa.
- VMWare instant recovery allows the appliance to become a datastore for virtual environments in a pinch.
- Interface is slow to respond.
- Interface is currently in transition, and you need to use the new and old interfaces to do certain tasks.
- Restores are a dream. Select the day, select the content and restore. Couldn't be easier.
- Has 4 NIC ports that you can aggregate for more throughput.
- The UI is very simple to work with. They updated it recently and it is even simpler. You don't have to fumble through a menu. Everything is in front of you and laid out logically.
- If you want to recover something from exchange, that is a separate piece of software. Wish that was integrated.
- There are four extra HD slots on our appliance that you cannot expand to. Would be great if they allowed the appliance to be filled and re-striped.
- A little annoyance is that the appliance doesn't have a faceplate. That could just be my issue though.
Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance
Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Screenshots
Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Competitors
Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Technical Details
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux, Mac|
|Mobile Application:||Apple iOS, Android|