Reviews (1-7 of 7)
Currently used for both hosted and on prem services. This covers multiple services within our company such as VPNs, Access controls, Proxy server, Webfilters, Virus controls.
With the the world knowing the amazing year that was 2020, this brought big changes to us as a company. With all staff going to remote working we needed to secure connection to internal services that were not available outside of the office but also protect all end devices that staff would be using working from home. Without Untangle this would have been a much harder project to have completed in a short amount of time.
The support and awareness training supplied by untangle was at a top level.
Read this authenticated review
- Access Control.
- Location Control.
- Web Filter.
- Threat Prevention.
- Application Control.
- Active Directory/LDAP connections.
- Intrusion Prevention.
- Ease of use.
- More access to logs via Web UI.
We are an MSP, so we are a huge target. I started looking hard at our security. I was trying to decide on a firewall that we could use for ourselves as well as our clients. Untangle NG Firewall has a great partner program. These firewalls are fantastic. The reporting is fascinating. I feel so secure since installing Untangle NG Firewall on our network. The software is built on Debian, so it is incredibly flexible.
Untangle NG Firewall is excellent in just about any business. It doesn't matter if you have three workstations or 1000, it will work well. Of course, you need the hardware power. I'm not sure where it would not work. Maybe if you only have 1 or 2 workstations.
Read Matthew Ingram's full review
I haven't used them much, but they did answer my question quickly.
April 20, 2020
Untangle is a modern firewall/router platform that you can buy their hardware or use your own. I purchased a used Dell R720 server to run this on and use it as our main firewall. We also purchased a few other modules that we needed for our organization. It is very easy and intuitive for anyone that has worked with other firewall and routers. It helps protect use while on the internet and provides VPN access to other locations. It has proven itself over and over since I first started using it about 10 years ago. They constantly update it to provide up-to-date security and new features. I have used this for home and office use. It does have a large following for school applications and if anything is good for schools it's great for businesses.
- Easy to understand with its graphical interface.
- Runs on Linux so it's durable and safe.
- Supports major VPN's and is compatible with Cisco.
- Protecting kids while on internet with modules it has that some cost.
- Can run on many types of hardware from servers to some home firewall units.
- The full suite can be expensive for business but will be powerful enough.
- The full suite for home or small office isn't that bad of a price but may be out of reach for most home users but remember the basics are FREE so anyone can get started with it.
- I would like to see it promoted for mid to large businesses as I think it can handle it.
Midsized business is where I have used it. Have used it to connect to other Untangle boxes across town and in other countries with NO issues and works with MS Domains across these VPN connections. Probably less appropriate for small home networks or large businesses.
Read this authenticated review
Lots of info online but for calling tech support you have to pay.
July 09, 2019
Untangle NG firewall is being used as a firewall, as a web filter, as a VPN and most importantly as a way to achieve PCI compliance and as a way to keep the internal network as safe as possible by limiting access in any direction to just what is needed and by checking all traffic.
- The firewall is easy to set up and manage.
- The open VPN while not as feature rich as some other options is rock solid and consistently needs nothing
- The web filter app is great, it's easy to block broad categories or specific things as well as white list whatever is needed.
- Support is responsive and accurate.
- The dashboard could be a little more customizable.
- I've run into situations where custom reports do not save correctly.
- It's not always clear where certain configurations are located, but it's still easy to find them quickly.
Read this authenticated review
I think for anyone that is concerned about security or connectivity Untangle has you covered from a home user protecting the family with a free product to a large organization using the full paid service NG Firewall is a very capable tool in the toolbox for anyone looking to keep the bad stuff out while still maintaining full functionality.
April 12, 2017
Score 9 out of 10
I use Untangle NG Firewall at our main facility, our offsite clinic locations and I installed one for a private clinic. We use it mainly for web filtration but we also utilize the antivirus, intrusion detection, ad blocking etc. Untangle protects our whole organization. Untangle has almost completely stopped malware infections and prevents bandwidth from being wasted on non-business related activities. We have policies configured so that some users are directed through specific racks that are not as restrictive as the default rack. It just works and does not impact the business processes of the organization.
- Web filtration works well and is very easy to manage. The interface is intuitive and makes dealing with end user issues quick and easy to resolve.
- Bandwidth control is a nice feature that quickly lets you determine where the offending bandwidth consumer is.
- The reporting feature is rich and the emailed reports help you determine any potential problems that may need to be addressed.
- Probably the documentation, the online tutorials could be a little more up to date and clearer.
Read Ken Thomas's full review
I think the Untangle NG Firewall is well suited for any environment even for home use. It's possible it may not be well suited for very large networks but I think they build appliances to accommodate several sizes of networks.
We use Untangle NG Firewall to protect our network from viruses, spam, phishing, and advertisements. In addition to those features, we use it to prevent users from going to websites that they shouldn't be going to while at work. It is deployed for the whole organization and has helped reduce malware infections from our domain computers while improving employee productivity.
- Filters websites by category.
- Blocks and quarantines large amounts of spam.
- The reporting module is very detailed.
- Support team is very responsive.
- The dashboard is a great feature.
- A network inventory app would be helpful.
Read Gary Lamontagne's full review
Untangle NG Firewall is well suited in most scenarios where you are looking for a piece of software that can perform many functions, such as web filtering, spam prevention, phishing prevention, application control, and IP Sec VPN. They offer different licensing options with the paid product. The free product comes with a handful of apps and does not include technical support.
I use Untangle mostly for homes, and schools and enterprises where internet filtering is required. Untangle does a fantastic job of integrating with AD and creating user/group based policies, traffic rate-limiting/squashing; permitting pertinent social media, but blocking things like Facebook games that add no value to a day to day business environment. The newly created integration of SD-WAN functionality makes connecting your remote offices a breeze (which I've done with a company that manages 10 different apartment complexes in 3 states).
- Web Filtering is strong, and can also do application fingerprinting to allow Facebook, but not Facebook games. Secondly, a separate partition called a "rack" can be set up to give one subnet or group of users different web filtering policies than another. For example, teachers would get more freedom to browse the web than students at a school.
- Built-in SD-WAN connectivity as part of your license. IPSEC tunnel creation is also amazingly easy.
- Will install on any x86 hardware created in the last 5-10 years. Ram and processor requirements per user are very low.
- Reporting is phenomenal, however you can get death by details very easily.
- The UI could be a little flashier.
- Getting your license file moved from one firewall to another can be tough at times... but support is great if you need it.
- Ability to upload reports to a portal versus getting them emailed would be best (some reports can get 100+ Mb depending on all the bells and whistles).
Read this authenticated review
Places where it's well suited:
- Churches/schools/small to medium businesses
- Web filtering appliance
- Captive portal for guest wifi
Untangle NG Firewall Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
What is Untangle NG Firewall?
Untangle NG Firewall is an open-source firewall and gateway security platform. It features a free firewall platform with paid add-ons for customizable functionality. These features, many of which have a free version, include intrusion protection, virus blocker, app control, SSL inspection, bandwidth control, reporting, and VPN (including OpenVPN). Untangle also provides a cloud-based management console for remote management. It can be deployed on-premises or as SaaS, and virtualized or cloud-based. The vendor claims the platform is designed for small IT teams with limited budgets.
Untangle NG Firewall Video
Untangle NG Firewall Pricing
Starting Price: $25
- Has featureFree Trial Available?Yes
- Does not have featureFree or Freemium Version Available?No
- Does not have featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?No
- Entry-level set up fee?No
|On-premise Edition||Pricing Details||Terms|
|z4 appliance||$299||one-time purchase|
|z4w appliance||$329||one-time purchase|
|z4 Plus appliance||$399.00||one-time purchase|
|z6 appliance||$1199.00||one-time purchase|
|z12 appliance||$1999.00||one-time purchase|
|z20 appliance||$3499.00||one-time purchase|
|SaaS Edition||Pricing Details||Terms|
|Open Source Firewall||$0.00||free under the GNU General Public License (GPL)|
|NG Firewall Complete||$25.00||per month|
Untangle NG Firewall Technical Details
|Deployment Types:||On-premise, SaaS|
Frequently Asked Questions
Untangle NG Firewall is an open-source firewall and gateway security platform. It offers a free core firewall platform with paid add-ons, and a cloud-based management platform with a variety of deployment options for smaller teams.
Untangle NG Firewall starts at $25.
Reviewers rate Policy-based Controls and VPN and High Availability highest, with a score of 10.
The most common users of Untangle NG Firewall are from Mid-size Companies and the Hospital & Health Care industry.