UserZoom Reviews

September 22, 2020
Craige Hardel | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use it to do UX research for our websites for clients. When we're in the testing stage of a project just to make sure our designs convert decently to our expectations, we run a few to make sure it works. We all use it and it helps us guarantee decent client results.
  • Lots of varied examples and scenarios
  • Appropriate context and realistic testing situations
  • Varied use base for customer tests
  • Though detailed, instructions can be a touch confusing.
  • Can be hard to use and not the most intuitive for a complete beginner
  • Interface a bit dated
UserZoom is well suited for tests where your site/application is optimized and needs some user refinement to remove assumptions. It can also be used by an organization that needs to ensure their apps are effective without hiring lots of internal staff to test. Also, it works for extra customer data when the initial sample set isn't statistically significant to ensure correct conclusions.
They took quite a while to respond. I'm not sure whether that's just with myself but it took more than a day to get a response to my inquiry and it was quite vague. Their email support may be okay but it depends on your question.
Read Craige Hardel's full review
December 04, 2020
I have used the product for usability testing so that I could facilitate sessions and give control to the participants while we talk through each scenario. As far as I know, it has been used within our group only as well as with a few design consulates that we have worked with.
  • Screen share.
  • Allow observers to watch and participate in the sessions.
  • Scheduling options.
  • Capturing video.
  • Transcripts of the sessions.
UserZoom is well suited for usability testing, I found specifically around test websites and marketing materials. I was able to invite others to participate and watch as well as screen share so that it was an interactive session. Other tools I have used have been a little better with the video output and transcripts of each session so that we could capture notes quickly, but overall it was a good tool to use to test.
I wasn't in the position that I had to use support for this tool, so I can't really answer this question. We were able to test and not [have to] reach out to support so that's a good thing!
March 16, 2020
Joshua Melder | TrustRadius Reviewer
UserZoom is most frequently used by the UI and marketing teams within my organization. Our teams often attempt to receive feedback on our own customer-facing tools in order to better the overall experience of our internal products. UserZoom gives us the ability to perform a wide variety of tests and come away with constructive feedback that helps us better recognize the advantages and gaps that we have in our own platforms. UserZoom is great because it gathers unbiased testers and provides a platform to create, host, and record feedback in real time.
  • Offers a wide variety of testing types: Click Testing, Card Sorting, and Screen Recording.
  • Post-Test Reporting helps make sense of the pass/failure rate of certain tasks (and participants).
  • It is relatively easy to add and edit tasks for users.
  • The user-interface does feel a bit dated at times.
  • We have encountered some issues when a participant is using dual monitors.
  • We have had some participants inform us that external links have caused issues on UserZoom.
UserZoom is very capable of creating a space for a UI team to ask important questions about the usability of a product. The wide number of test options is definitely a strength of the platform as a whole. Teams can create forms, click-tasks, surveys, browser sharing experiences (and more) in order to search for their desired customer insights. While the number of testing styles is robust, I would recommend the platform continue to update its own UI in order to stay up to date with other testing platforms on the market. Overall, I would highly recommend the platform as a tool to help better understand how applications are perceived by user-audiences first hand.

From my experience, the UserZoom team has really done a great job answering the limited questions we have given them thus far. I think the platform is popular enough that many of my questions have been answered by their help pages - or other online content with helpful tips and tricks. I think the community has done a nice job of providing end-user tutorials for those who are new to the platform.
Read Joshua Melder's full review
March 15, 2020
Zoom is used by the entire company. Is really helpful to talk to other members in different locations and with customers all around the world.
  • Help to be in touch with clients on a easy way.
  • The installation is really easy and fast.
  • You can use a free account and get what you need easily.
  • Would like to see a browser application.
  • Could be easier to get the link to the call.
  • Use-interface could be improved.
Whatever you have a customer or colleague in another place, Zoom is the best way to make a call with them.
February 15, 2019
Jackie Bassett | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have used UserZoom for end-user experience testing, most often to test CPG websites. What's most important in these scenarios is a seamless experience, of course. Utopia for consumers is when they can so readily find exactly what they are looking for/something they weren't looking for but now want and that the journey to purchase is seamless and fast! That takes a lot of testing, retesting and retesting! So the testing tool needs to be just as seamless an experience.
  • CPG online shopping experience testing: path to purchase (and everything in between) capture is excellent
  • Consumer demand validation: can add surveys and capture key quantitative metrics of a large number of actual users (unbiased human testers) all quite easily.
  • Ease of use encourages experience testing far earlier in the product development cycle (test early, test often, change according to authentic measurable results, etc.).
  • The more depth and agility that any UX tool offers, the more successful the offering being tested will be in the marketplace. Therefore we suggest never putting a ceiling on UX testing capabilities.
  • In the early days of our using UserZoom, our own UX with the tool was a bit of a challenge, but it's become far more user-friendly since then.
A classic example was when a major retailer in a fiercely competitive sector (fashion) asked us to test their new site (before launch). We agreed to shop for three very specific items and match the items for style amongst "suggested goes with" items in very specific sizes. The experience was a 9 out of 10. What we were able to find was the final step (actual purchase) was far too complex. UserZoom was a great tool that captured the issue and turned the launch into a great success.
Read Jackie Bassett's full review
January 31, 2018
Andres Podesta | TrustRadius Reviewer
We started using UserZoom a year ago, and now that it's time to renew the contract I'm looking at other alternatives. We got the application mostly to do remote un-moderated task-based usability testing, and one of the main reasons we got UserZoom is because it allows you to set up the tests but use your own participants. This is something we need because our users are "members" and not regular consumers. Currently, it's only being used in my department (UX).
  • Their support team and customer service are very good, all staff is very knowledgeable and friendly.
  • Most testers we've used from their supplied tester panel, although it was not many, were pretty good at vocalizing during the test and expressing their opinions.
  • The user interface is pretty bad, looks dated and it's not very intuitive.
  • The task-based remote un-moderated tests have also a UI problem, it uses browser windows being repositioned and has some issues with dual monitors and passing the browser's approval to use the cam and mic.
Not a lot of services out there offer the remote, UN-moderated task-driven testability. The application works well for this, but the UI could use some improvement.
Read Andres Podesta's full review
January 04, 2017
UserZoom is being used for remote/moderated usability testing. It helps us to identify user experience related issues with websites and helps us improve on them.
  • Adding tasks is really simple and efficient.
  • The report that generates after completion of the task gives success rate and failure rate this helps us understand the participants better.
  • It allows to record sessions which comes handy for unmoderated usability tests.
  • It could improve on displaying the results after the test better or edit it better
  • Some users during testing found it difficult to navigate from tasks if there were external links.
It is a great tool for usability testing. I would recommend to anyone who wants to make use of the tool for conducting usability tests. It is more appropriate while conducting unmoderated testing. But it can be used for moderated as well.
March 22, 2016
We do consulting research, and use UserZoom for our client projects when we need to capture behavioral data (i.e. clickstreams, heatmaps, time on task). There aren't many tools out there with the combination of features that UserZoom provides, including logic to direct people to other questions or parts of the survey, the behavioral tracking mentioned above, and easy integration with panel providers.
  • Behavioral data collection: Although not perfect from what I can tell, UserZoom captures the majority of clicks and URL values when survey takers have installed the UserZoom browser extension.
  • Click testing: UserZoom makes it easy to do a one-page click test that is turned into a heat map, so you can identify where users would click first on a page.
  • Data collection without a download: By using javascript tags in your own website, you can track user's behavioral data without requiring a download, which increases feasibility for tough projects.
  • Block Randomization: There are some things you just can't do with the tools provided for creating sections of surveys and randomization. I can't recall off the top of my head what the issue was, but we were trying to show certain sections of a survey in a randomized order and it wasn't possible to do it at the level we wanted. Basic randomization of sections was supported.
  • Reporting: The reporting tool doesn't do any significance testing, and beyond filtering we don't find much use for it. The clickstreams are difficult to edit in the tool, and we typically just use Excel to do our analysis of any of the data.
  • Ability to link between surveys/studies: We have a repeating study that requires advanced screening and quota management, and would love to do it all within UserZoom. However, the logic available doesn't make it possible to distribute panelists based on age/HHI/etc., the way we would like to, so we have to pay a panel provider to program that portion and communicate constantly to fill quotas.
It really depends on the scenario. If you need behavioral data capture, there aren't many tools on the market that can do it as easily and reliably as UserZoom. Things like Loop11 have behavioral data capture, but their feature set is far behind UserZoom's in many ways. However, if you're just doing a simple survey you might be better off with something cheaper like SurveyMonkey. UserZoom's pricing fluctuates a lot and is difficult to predict without working with them directly.
July 26, 2014
I used UserZoom primarily to conduct quantitative usability tests. I was the first to use it on our team of user experience researchers, and helped assess it for purchase for our team. We used UserZoom to assess online and mobile experiences, when we needed the quantitative sample to assess the overall performance etc.... which is hard to do in a lab or other means. Later on we also used it to conduct simple surveys as well as tree testing, card sorting, and even used it to track performance when conducting qualitative usability tests in the lab. I also conducted an intercept survey using UserZoom when the company launched a new mobile design, so that we could capture the feedback of our pilot participants.
  • Quantitative testing can be done on the cheap compared to other quant tools or vendors... once you buy the license, you only pay for additional recruiting and you are managing the project, so there isn't the high cost of having other vendors doing the project management or running a survey etc.
  • Farily robust means of tracking and recording data. I also relied heavily on the excel spreadsheet of all the raw data, which you can have UZ customize for you to get what you need.
  • Great support system from the UserZoom team - they have researchers who can help with coding and also provide research support for a very good price.
  • Also they have tree testing, card sorting, survey capabilities (in addition to usability testing)... and mobile testing. and they seem to be continously be developing the tool to support additional methods.
  • There is some learning curve with the study programming aspect.... however, once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.
  • There is some limitations with what you can do... mainly because the study programming follows a linear model, and although there's logic that you can manipulate, I found some limitations (but never enough to cancel my study or look for an alternate due to methodology issues). The good news is that UZ also makes continued improvements in these areas as well... so I am expecting them to continue to look at this as well.
It is expensive. It is warrented if your organization has a high volume of studies and is mature enough to do more than qualitative usability testing. On the other hand, if you find yourself doing many surveys (large or small), usability tests, etc. there is cost savings due to the recruiting cost being the only thing you pay for... by the way, you will have to figure out how the coordinate the recruiting, but UserZoom is so helpful with this process and I think recently they have made efforts to bring those solutions in house.

What is UserZoom?