Vagrant is a tool designed to create and configure lightweight, reproducible, and portable development environments.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/Dw/5e/OIQEPEO25MVV.pngGood tool with minor issues for users on Windows machines.We use Vagrant to provision development environments for web developers.,Consistent, reliable virtual environments for web development Easy to use commands,Lacks a GUI, would be useful for entry level users Uses lots of resources on old machines Compatibility issues with some operating systems (Windows 8.1 home, Windows 10 home),7,Faster kick offs on projects Identical dev environments for users with different background and expertise,Docker,Installation: Just download, run a couple of commands and you are done. Usage: Run a command and done.,No,6Great for us!We use Vagrant across our Product Dev teams (QA, Front end/Back end Dev, IT Operations, etc) to test our code changes, debug and preview changes made. Vagrant has been a good local way for individuals to work on their code base before making any changes to our stage or production code.,Local ability to see and test code changes Can be customized on per user basis,Can be a complicated setup process depending on your code Long setup, especially on Windows machines,8,Positive - able to locally work and test code base Negative - Set up process is tedious and complex,Oracle VM VirtualBox and VMware vCenter Server,TRAXPayrollVagrant gives the flexibility and stability local development needsI switched to vagrant from DesktopServer for my local development stack when updating to High Sierra. Vagrant is a much more versatile and robust product that gives me flexibility and automation. I use it to spin up Wordpress websites locally and give them a local domain. DesktopServer only allowed 3 instances, but with Vagrant I can use as many as I need.,Vagrant is decentralized so anyone can make a container package to get a project started. you aren't limited to wordpress, or even one style of wordpress install (you can make a sage.io wordpress environment). Vagrant easily lets you set ports and URLs for local development. I have yet to have a problem with Vagrant, as opposed to MAMP and DesktopServer, which both gave me SQL or other issues.,The learning curve is steep for deploying a vagrant package if you've never dealt the command line. Initially, it was a little difficult to get the networking right because I didn't have a lot of experience with using to the virtual machine.,9,Vagrant has sped up and streamlined a lot of my local development. Spinning up a server is really quick and I don't have to spend a lot of time debugging my environment.,,WP Engine, MailChimp, Sizmek,1,Local Development Local Debugging Cross Platform Compatibility,Experiment with other containers that aren't just PHP sites. Possibly Node.js or python box.,9Vagrant is a great, free way to develop for the web locallyWe use Vagrant to run virtual machines for local development of our web applications. Each team across our department uses it, but with various configurations. Vagrant allows us to test our applications locally using the same operating system and software configurations as our production servers, so we are able to get a better idea of how things will work once deployed.,Free Local testing Allows use of the same OS and software as the server Pretty fast and reliable,Can be difficult to set up Requires command line usage, which can be difficult for less tech savvy designers/developers Can take up a lot of disk space if running several VMs with various configurations,8,Free way to develop locally Everyone can run the exact same configuration, so there aren't inconsistencies between developers Extra development time is needed to maintain Vagrant configurations,MAMP,Parallels Desktop, SlackDevelop Efficiently - Wherever You Need ToVagrant provides a framework and automation tools to deploy virtual machines for local development of many sites and applications. This allows safer development and testing, and can be more efficient with the use of local resources and 0 network latency. In tandem with other tools, such as version control and deployment tools, Vagrant is a popular part of many development tool-sets.,Automation of virtual machine management tasks Configuration of local development environment Documentation,Support minimal - technical expertise required,9,Improved local development efficiency Lower site impact due to development More efficient low-impact testing,,WordPress, Magento, Zend PHP Engine
Vagrant

Vagrant Reviews

Vagrant
Filter 32 vetted Vagrant reviews and ratings
December 13, 2018

Vagrant Review: "Good tool with minor issues for users on Windows machines."

We use Vagrant to provision development environments for web developers.
  • Consistent, reliable virtual environments for web development
  • Easy to use commands
  • Lacks a GUI, would be useful for entry level users
  • Uses lots of resources on old machines
  • Compatibility issues with some operating systems (Windows 8.1 home, Windows 10 home)
You can easily create, share and provision development environments across platforms, excepto if you are on Windows...
August 17, 2018

Vagrant Review: "Great for us!"

• Local ability to see and test code changes
  • Can be customized on per user basis
  • Can be a complicated setup process depending on your code
  • Long setup, especially on Windows machines
Vagrant is well suited for anyone technical department that does Development and needs to thoroughly test your code, see changes and preview features. Vagrant can give the ability for users to build their own test box to be able to accomplish all of this. In our experiencing the setup and tweaking to get to a workable state has been a bit of a task but now that we have it all done its a super useful tool.
Collin Berg profile photo
February 28, 2018

Review: "Vagrant gives the flexibility and stability local development needs"

• Vagrant is decentralized so anyone can make a container package to get a project started. you aren't limited to wordpress, or even one style of wordpress install (you can make a sage.io wordpress environment).
  • Vagrant easily lets you set ports and URLs for local development.
  • I have yet to have a problem with Vagrant, as opposed to MAMP and DesktopServer, which both gave me SQL or other issues.
  • The learning curve is steep for deploying a vagrant package if you've never dealt the command line.
  • Initially, it was a little difficult to get the networking right because I didn't have a lot of experience with using to the virtual machine.
Vagrant is great if you are working on websites or applications locally and need to set up a container that manages the environment. I'm no longer struck with having to work only in one version of a language as well. I can debug locally with an old project in PHP 5.3 or work on a new project that uses PHP 7
Read Collin Berg's full review
April 13, 2018

Review: "Vagrant is a great, free way to develop for the web locally"

• Free
  • Local testing
  • Allows use of the same OS and software as the server
  • Pretty fast and reliable
  • Can be difficult to set up
  • Requires command line usage, which can be difficult for less tech savvy designers/developers
  • Can take up a lot of disk space if running several VMs with various configurations
Vagrant works well for the local development of any website or web application. It shouldn't be very difficult to set up for someone comfortable with Unix and command line usage. It's great for those wanting to get local development as close as possible to the production environment.

It's less appropriate for more design focused developers who are not super comfortable with the command line. Though once set up and configured, it's pretty easy to teach anyone how to use it.
Chris Putnam profile photo
July 10, 2017

Vagrant Review: "Develop Efficiently - Wherever You Need To"

• Automation of virtual machine management tasks
  • Configuration of local development environment
  • Documentation
  • Support minimal - technical expertise required
If you have a technical expert or if a pre-built box or configuration wizard can meet your needs, Vagrant is a great fit. Even an expert could find it time-consuming to start with Vagrant and related technologies from scratch, so starting from a pre-built environment is highly recommended. Finding an appropriate box will be more or less common depending on your technology stack. LAMP is common as are many Node stacks.
Read Chris Putnam's full review
August 16, 2017

Review: "Let Vagrant do the repetitive work for you"

Used by software developers to create virtual machines where the software that is being developed can be deployed, executed and tested. Also used by consultants to create test or development environments where other products that are delivered to customers can be configured and proven to work as they are needed before putting them in production environments.
  • Easy to create machines with different OS's, list of them can be found from Vagrant's website with configuration details.
  • Flexible configuration, user can determine what software will be pre-installed to machine. Saves time because it doesn't need to be done manually every time.
  • Easily manage full environments, not just single machines, with single command.
  • There's no GUI. Everything has to be configured by text editor and all operations are done through command line.
  • If there's a problem when bringing up the machine, Vagrant may take lot of time by just waiting and not giving good error output.
  • I don't like its configuration syntax (Ruby).
It saves lot of time by making new machine deployments quick and easy. Only one person has to write and upkeep the configuration files and everyone else can then use them without knowing how to modify them. All they need to do is to install Vagrant and type one command to create the machines so whole team doesn't need to be trained on how to configure Vagrant. However Vagrant creates full virtual machines so it needs a powerful host computer and it always takes a while to bring them up.
Joey Yax profile photo
February 21, 2017

Vagrant Review: "A must have in every developer's toolkit"

Vagrant is used for local development of websites, APIs and web applications. By being able to mimic the production server environment we're able to eliminate the potential for any compatibility issues that can occur when running the code on a different architecture than it was originally built on. It's also helpful in the reverse-- Vagrant ensures that every developer is using the exact same environment.
  • Server Virtualization - it's easy to recreate a server environment and automate builds for other developers.
  • Seamless integration between the server environment and local machine. This allows you to use your preferred editor, automation tools and other applications, but have the website run in a self-contained environment
  • Community
  • Learning curve is steep - It can be challenging for someone to set up initially. After some coaching, the basics come pretty quickly though.
  • Relies on external Virtual Machine applications - It would be great if Vagrant itself could run the virtual machine instead of leaning on other virtualization software. This is a small detail, but would make setup simple.
  • Better support for running
Extremely useful, but can get a little complicated to maintain several environments. If you only work on one or a handful of sites Vagrant is awesome. If you have dozens to maintain it gets a little more cumbersome. If ensuring compatibility is a must have it's a no-brainer and excellent for sandboxing projects.
Read Joey Yax's full review
Charles Anderson profile photo
January 04, 2017

Review: "Vagrant gets the job done quickly and easily"

We mostly use Vagrant for operations to develop changes that will be applied to our production infrastructure via Puppet. I've also used it for some one-off development tasks I've done where I needed a "disposable" machine to try something out on. I've also used it to provision specific versions of Windows and IE for testing.
  • It builds VM quickly and easily, which allows them to be treated like livestock rather than pets. They can easily be thrown away and rebuilt.
  • Having access to a large library of VMs (via Vagrantfiles) enables rapid testing in multiple environments.
  • It's free and open-source.
  • As Vagrant's installed base has expanded, the combinations of Vagrant versions, guest OS versions, and VM providers has exploded. As a result, sometimes a particular combination doesn't work. It can be difficult to pin down the culprit, but the community is very helpful. This isn't really a knock on Vagrant - it's inevitable given its success.
It's my go-to tool for provisioning VMs.
Read Charles Anderson's full review
Js Lim profile photo
January 11, 2017

Vagrant Review: "A MUST for Laravel development"

Most of our programmers use Vagrant for Laravel web app development. It's easier for all of us to have the same development environment. Also, most of the necessary packages are already included in the image. Just run a single command and that's it. So far it is only used by our IT department.
  • Fast & easy setup for development environment.
  • Consistent to all programmers within a same project.
  • One is the memory usage, because it is a virtual OS running on top of the host. Thus if a PC does not have enough memory, it is quite suffer[able] to use it.
For new colleagues, Vagrant is very good and suitable, because usually newcomers need to take some time to setup their PC environment. Thus Vagrant does most of the job here.
Read Js Lim's full review
Andrew Shell profile photo
November 30, 2016

User Review: "Vagrant greatly simplifies development"

Originally our company would do development on remote machines. I'd SSH into a development box and do my work. I found that this was less than ideal because it was a lot of work to set up different boxes for any additional developers.
When we started work on our second application Taskle, I decided to try using Vagrant for our development environment. I had seen a presentation about it at a local user group and thought it would make development easier.
Initially we used Vagrant with Chef, but eventually, I found Ansible and have really liked using it.
Since Vagrant is a tool for development environments, it's only used by our developers. We currently have several freelance developers working on our applications in addition to myself and we all use Vagrant boxes for development.
  • Vagrant allows me to do development locally. That means that as long as I have my computer I can work on our product. This has been helpful when our internet has gone down, or even just if the internet has been slow. I've also been able to work in the car or when I'm camping and don't have wi-fi.
  • Vagrant has allowed me to set up a consistent development environment for all of our developers. I know they are using the correct version of the servers and of the code.
  • Vagrant allows me to easily.
  • Vagrant also allows me to experiment with alternate configurations. I can test our for instance if upgrading the OS or version of PHP is going to break anything.
  • Because Vagrant is a low-level tool with many ways to configure it, there is a steep learning curve. You don't just have to learn (or install) Vagrant, but also Virtualbox, Ansible and possibly some Vagrant plugins to keep boxes up to date.
  • Support on Windows doesn't seem great. I'm a Mac guy, so it's been very difficult getting things to work as expected when a developer wants to work on Windows.
  • Perhaps I didn't configure it correctly, but the default shared folders are not the best for performance. There are also frequently weird issues regarding file permissions.

If you're writing software, particularly software that depends on other services (web servers or databases for example) then Vagrant is great. I know some people skip Vagrant and just set up virtual machines on their own, but I've found that Vagrant streamlines the process nicely and makes it easy to update or swap out versions.

If you're a web developer (which I am) it's amazing. I can have several boxes configured for my different projects and I just spin them up or down based on what I'm working on.

One scenario where this might not be ideal is if you're running Vagrant on a computer that has limited resources. Since you're running a virtual machine with its own operating system and such you'll want a host computer with enough RAM, hard drive space and CPU to run the virtual machine properly without killing the performance of the host.

The virtual disks can also take up a lot of space if you're not careful so if you have many virtual machines provisioned and don't clean up the old ones that you're not using, you may find that your hard drive is full. Each of my Linux servers take up about 10GB of disk space.

Read Andrew Shell's full review
Claudio Fernando Maciel profile photo
December 01, 2016

Vagrant Review: "Great Solid Tool for Team Development"

With literally dozens of development environments, spread both throughout the company's development computers and our servers, it was becoming more and more daunting a task to keep them all integrated, concise and consolidated. There were just too many bugs whenever a new scenario showed up as we configured the new one, rendering one too many previous ones inoperable.
Vagrant became the main staple for the company's developers, as we all were part of both the research and the development tasks at the company. So, switching projects - as well as keeping various scenarios at the same time on our servers - really became a breeze for everyone. Now, every new task of research that involves a new set of technology, comes with a vagrant up command, which is nice and simple to deal with the incompatibilities, so common in this industry.

• Maintaining many virtualized machines at the same time
  • Multiple platform support
  • A lot lighter if compared with VMBox
  • The end of "it's working at my computer" kind of excuse when things break at production
  • If possible, it could be lighter than its alternatives.
  • Improve the way boxes work, to make it easier to update and/or find
  • For simple out-of-the-box tasks Vagrant is pretty simple to use, but for much more real-life and complex tasks, it can become quite daunting to configure a box and make it available/distributable to all the company's computers.
If what you need is a machine to run your tests, research, and to tinker with and not be afraid of ruining your machine or the company's servers, vagrant is a great option. Also it's a great choice if you are working on a team based project, as everybody gets to share exactly the same environment, without the risk of having variations of path variables, dependencies versions and so on. If what you are looking for is isolation, then probably it's not the most well suited tool for you, as it's still a machine dependent on VirtualBox (or others), while, causing somewhat of an overhead.
Read Claudio Fernando Maciel's full review
November 30, 2016

Vagrant Review: "A minor headache you must go through to avoid major headaches"

I personally use Vagrant with Laravel Homestead on a day to day basis because I can't keep track of all the changes that are going on in the PHP community and want something that I can set up in 20 minutes and am ready to roll. Vagrant makes sharing development environments very easy between us developers and it saves us a lot of headaches when working on different development environments. For instance, I am on a Linux machine and can easily share my environment with someone on a Mac or a Windows machine; this may seem like a minor thing but it saves a lot of hours of configuring.
  • A consistant development environment across multiple operating systems.
  • I don't have to worry about my code breaking on someone else's machine as long as we have the same vagrant image and settings.
  • Support for Docker as well but I am not sure how this plays out.
  • Vagrant is a pain to configure initially and depending on what your machine is, it might actually take you a few hours to get it up and running.
  • Vagrant uses VirtualBox and VMware for running the virtual machines and in my personal opinion, I think it's having trouble keeping up with the updates to VirtualBox. There have been some reports of bugs that have crept in because of this. I personally have also come across this.
If you have a team of 3 or more developers and need a consistent development environment, Vagrant is for you. If you need to work on multiple operating system environments or different versions of a language, you could install multiple vagrant boxes and switch between them easily hence saving you a few headaches.

About Vagrant