Veeam Backup & Replication Reviews

February 24, 2021
Scott Pearce | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Veeam to backup all network files and servers to a local storage device. Then, we use Veeam Backup Copy to send images to a cloud based Data Center for offsite storage. This provides multiple levels of protection for our data.
  • Easy to set up.
  • Intuitive interface.
  • Alert notification is clear and concise. Easy to get to the root of a problem.
  • Support is great! Quick response, knowledgeable techs, take ownership of an issue.
  • Perhaps some examples of how to set up Veeam given a certain scenario (some of the more common solutions).
  • Something to let a new user know that when you click "Next" on the restore selections, there will be a 'pause', and that it is not restoring the entire volume while you are waiting for the file selection window to load.
For small to medium companies like ours, Veeam is a good mix of capabilities without being over complicated.
We currently back up two physical hosts and eight virtual servers. This is the expected number of workloads we anticipated. We know we can just add more licenses to allow Veeam to grow with us.
Read Scott Pearce's full review
Lauri Viitanen | TrustRadius Reviewer
Veeam is used in the entire organization to protect our data and to ensure business continuity and resiliency. We use Veeam to back up our on-premise infrastructure and have been a happy user for several years. Veeam Backup & Replication has proven to be a reliable tool for backups, replication as well as recoveries.
  • Performance
  • Ease of use
  • Granular recovery
  • Veeam fulfills all our requirements and we do no have any issues regarding it's functionality
Veeam Backup & Recovery does it's job well protecting our data from hardware failures, accidental deletion of files, malware attacks etc etc. Recovering data has been made easy and this role can easily be delegated within the organization. Veeam Backup & Replication ensures our business continuity and does it well.
We have had somewhat steady growth in the amount of workload protected by Veeam during the several years we've been using it. Being a small/mid-sized company, our IT infrastructure is small compared to the larger companies. Currently we protect nearly 40 separate workloads with Veeam Backup & Replication.
Read Lauri Viitanen's full review
Robert Crooks | TrustRadius Reviewer
In 30 years at in my position, I have used various iterations of all the big names in backup software, with varying levels of success.
Over the past decade as workloads have become more and more virtualized, none of the packages i used were specifically designed for virtual environments and I found that issue to create a big hole in my DR preparedness.
Some of the other divisions in my organization were using the Veeam [Backup & Replication] solution and our corporate office decided that we should all standardize on this platform.
My virtualization is centered around Hyper-V clusters, so I decided to license Veeam [Backup & Replication] around the sockets that I use. This proved to be the right solution as I have 200+ guests hosted on 4 servers and I am not limited by the number of guests.
I now have 100% protection of database, line-of-business applications and factory floor loads.
Because of Veeam technology, my backup window has shrunk from 12 hours to 3-4 a day, even with an air-gap backups to a tape library.
In the past weeks I am also using SOBR to the cloud for additional reassurance that I can restore from an encryption event.
Veeam [Backup & Replication] has given me confidence to consistently backup and restore any loads or data to keep my business running.
  • The ability to perform transaction and redo log backups on a constant schedule give exceptional point-in-time restore ability.
  • That Veeam still supports air-gap backup to tape is invaluable. Also that it manages retention policies between disk and tape is a life saver.
  • Veaam's ability to compress data as it backups saves both time and space on both capacity and performance storage.
  • The ability to include Transaction and Redo logs as part of a SOBR would be a very important option to have.
  • Perhaps it already exists, but some way to automate a scheduled restore from all tiers of storage (Performance, Capacity and Tape) would give the admin the security in knowing that in the case of an emergency all the components were working.
  • Some method to make Performance-tier backups immutable.
For virtualized workloads, Veeam [Backup & Replication] is the only solution. It's performance is un-paralled in that space.

Even the Community edition provides a sub-set of tools that a SMB could use to protect it's IP/assets before committing to a full set of licenses.
I have about 200 virtual workloads. When I first licensed Veeam [Backup & Replication], I was not sure of the solution when it came to production servers and database loads, but tested it out and it's performance was far and above what I was expecting and the backup operation has a minimal impact on my operations.
Read Robert Crooks's full review
December 19, 2020
Jeremy Lyzenga | TrustRadius Reviewer
Veeam B&R is being used to back up all virtual machines across all global offices and replicate the data offsite. It's also being used to back up physical workloads. Combined with HPE Storeonce appliances we achieve high levels of deduplication and can have lengthy retention policies without the needs of lots of disk. It's simple to set up and maintain and has all the granular recovery features that we need.
  • Consistant fast backups.
  • Robust backup files that are portable and don't need the original backup server to restore.
  • Simplicity of setup and restoring files.
  • Versatility of working with different types and tiers of storage.
  • When using HPE catalyst the displayed values of backed up data and transferred data is erroneous.
  • Quick restore of changed blocks only doesn't work well on application servers.
Veeam B&R is the simplest and most effective backup solution I have ever worked with. Previous experience with Avamar, netbackup and Windows backup, moving to Veeam was easy and saves countless hours on maintenance. Its hardware agnostics make it great for using legacy storage that would otherwise be retired or the flexibility to use low cost storage up to enterprise storage arrays in tandem. It works great in a datacenter and in remote sites.
We are backing up 100+ virtual servers in 6 locations on three continents with backup data stored locally and being replicated to a secondary location. We are also using it to back up 12 workstations that are critical for daily operation of the company. We began with just backing up the servers but as Veeam adds more features to the existing products we find ourselves utilizing them at little or no extra cost.
Read Jeremy Lyzenga's full review
March 19, 2021
Eric Girard | TrustRadius Reviewer
First, I'd like to mention that I'm reviewing the Community edition which I personally use at home. We are using the enterprise edition at work.

I use Veeam community edition at home to protect my small infrastructure consisting of a few servers and VMs. I needed a solution that would allow me to backup all 'mission-critical' VMs / OSes and data locally and replicate the backups to a physically distant server (on-site) for disaster recovery (ok, I am bit paranoid about losing data). Since my ISP is limited, I couldn't leverage the cloud to replicate.
  • Backup VMs with flexible data retention schedules
  • Replicate backups accross local repository (Windows -> FreeNAS)
  • Usefull notifications in case of warnings / errors. Allows 'Fire and Forget'
  • Easy to browse and restore available backups
  • Updates are not easy to locate and download, would be nice to be able to download updates from within Veeam itself.
  • In my case, I have a cryptic error message when trying to restore from replicated repository (but the data is there).
  • UI takes a bit of time to get used. Easy to use when you understand the logic behind it.
Great for
  • Backing up VMs (Hyper-V)
  • Replicate backups
  • Schedule backups / replication
  • Restoring
Weaker
  • Backing up physical computer / file systems / desktop
I use Veeam to protect 1 Windows Server (AD DC) running 6 VMs (Windows / Linux) along with a partial backup of the server data (documents, pictures, videos). The local backup is replicated to a distant computer (FreeNAS) situated in another building on my property.

I initially installed Veeam CE only to evaluate the product for use at work. After using, I really enjoyed the simplicity and flexibility and did a full deployment at home for my personal backups.
Read Eric Girard's full review
March 12, 2021
Carlos Meilicke | TrustRadius Reviewer
At JFCourier, we use Veeam Backup & Replication to maintain the backup of four Critical Virtual Machines on a local cloud provider. Initially, we made our backups to a local NAS and in the last three months we decide to move it to the cloud and it was the [right] choice.
  • Physical to virtual to cloud: can backup and restore any machine.
  • Granular restore of the [virtual] machines.
  • Can backup almost all platforms.
  • Everything works [well].
[Veeam Backup & Replication] is the best cloud and virtualization backup solution.
Four virtual machines but if we grow, [I'm] sure the number will grow too.
Read Carlos Meilicke's full review
February 27, 2021
Mark Ingrum | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our company, HarvestHill Bev Co., is made up of several smaller companies. We use Veeam to backup an environment we are not staffed in. The software enables us to run backups without worry they will complete. We are backing up 12TB. Wished we used Veeam for the rest of the company. Give me some time, I will work on it.
  • Installs easily - as ANY backup software should!
  • Easy to restore files.
  • Easy to set up backup jobs
  • Using Hyper-V - Veeam actually works with MS.
  • Would love to have in my VMware environments.
  • When throwing alert for backup would be nice to see percent complete as you are working problem.
  • Need more swag out there.
VMware loves Veeam! Would love to have it backing up my 12TB X 4 sites.

Easy to manage Veeam backups - just takes a few seconds to look and less time than other backup providers!

Thanks Veeam!
Just for our one sister company, ABC.
Read Mark Ingrum's full review
February 24, 2021
Chad Culbreth | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Veeam to backup our company servers and virtual infrastructure. Veeam has allowed us to have a backup solution that works all of the time without error. It has not failed since we implemented it. Also, setup was a breeze!
  • It has never had a failed backup since we implemented it.
  • The pricing is top notch for what we get for it.
  • The setup support was great!
  • Setup was a long process. It took almost 4 hours to setup and start.
Veeam is ideal for virtual environments as well as for NAS backups. We are about to move some of our infrastructure to Azure and Veeam will most definitely be used to move those servers as well as backing them up.
2 VMs are currently protected as well as 1 NAS. This is exactly what we anticipated when we purchased the licensing.
Read Chad Culbreth's full review
February 08, 2021
Miguel Letona | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition for testing purposes. We have VMware and Hyper-V servers and create tasks for backing up virtual machines hosted on those servers. We are doing this for 5 VMs and monitor the time it takes to backup, then we restore them and check them to see if the software works as expected; and it does.
  • Backing up VMs hosted on VMware and Hyper-V
  • Restore VM to original host and alternate host
  • Using VeeamZip to obtain an image of a VM for archival purposes
  • Allow the creation of schedule task for VeeamZip
  • Faster start-up
  • Allow backup of older VMware versions, like 5.5
We have tested Veeam Backup & Replication in a LAN and the performance was good. In our environment, the servers work 24x7 and there was no noticeable drop in performance so, in scenarios where the infrastructure is up and running 24x7, this is well suited. We have not tested doing a backup from another site so can't tell if it is well suited across the WAN.
We have 6 VMs that are currently protected with Veeam Backup & Replication. Because we installed the Community Edition and the limit is 10 VMs, we are protected. Our environment is small and, in the future, we are planning to add more local servers so, we have to plan for a purchase of the product. Right now, we are in the test phase.
Read Miguel Letona's full review
February 06, 2021
Akito Inakazu | TrustRadius Reviewer
Veeam B&R is being used across our organization in two datacentres. It was primarily brought in to modernize our older backup system (NetBackup) and to reduce our backup windows.
  • User interface is easy to manage.
  • Restoring from file/brick-level backup is much easier than recovering from our old backup.
  • Scheduling is easy to understand and manage.
  • When mounting a backup for restore, this process can be slow.
We changed our backup method from daily tapes to daily backup to disk and then tape weekly. This shortened our backup windows and enabled much quicker backup windows. The ability to restore files/application-level data easily made it easier to offload this job to junior admins and free up our time.
In our environment, we are backing up approx 200vms. Including Exchange, Sharepoint, File Servers, and other various application servers/workloads. This has grown since we originally purchased the product, but that has been organic growth in the business. We do not currently backup cloud/physical workloads, but we are starting to move things into the cloud and have started to look at Veeam to back up that data.
Read Akito Inakazu's full review
Shayne Blakemore | TrustRadius Reviewer
Veeam Backup & Replication is being used to backup our VMWARE ESXi virtual infrastructure, We backup Virtual machines to a local datastore (different Rack) and between 2 of our 3 sites. Currently it is only being used for this purpose, we will look to use replication functionality when we have increased infrastructure capacity at our newer sites.
  • When data loss occurs it is easily recoverable with little/no downtime
  • Easy to use interface
  • Excellent scalability
  • Slow Backup and restore tasks
  • Troubleshooting errors can be tedious
I have used this for a while and it suits my needs, it is easy to use and works well. Have had to restore near all of our VI and Veeam handled it without a hitch.
Currently around 40 in our VI. has been scalable and time permitting I will add more to this scope
Read Shayne Blakemore's full review
Matt McLeary | TrustRadius Reviewer
Use Veeam [Backup & Replication] to backup 2 sites worth of VMs and replicate to DR site which is off site.

Currently all backups are done using Veeam [Backup & Replication] along with all restores.
  • DR Capabilites of spinning up replicated VMs instantly
  • Exploring application items such as databses or Exchange items
  • Automatically setup of DR recovery when VM fails
  • Setup of proxies and best practices isn't explained greatly
  • Slow termination of jobs
All scenarios have a use for Veeam Backup and Replication if data security and retention is a worry for your business
50 virtual servers are currently protected by Veeam [Backup & Replication].

This has grown since initially installing Veeam and there has been no issues in scaling up to meet this demand.
Read Matt McLeary's full review
January 21, 2021
Jim Crear | TrustRadius Reviewer
We utilize Veeam Backup & Replication for all of our customer-focused applications in multiple locations, including two colocations in diverse locations. It has successfully allowed us to build backup and recovery redundancy in order to ensure our apps continue to run and process customer data with appropriate security.
  • Windows library structures are easily identified for restoration
  • Restores, in general, are easy to do
  • Replication of data structures to other servers
  • Better method to back up desktop and laptops
  • Improvement of deduping methods
  • Better error descriptions for troubleshooting
Veeam Backup & Replication is very well suited for file-level recovery as well as for full VM recovery when a VM snapshot is unavailable. It is a must-have tool for IT to be able to recover from a malware/ransomware attack. It now works great in backup and replication to cloud storage. As a user of many backup solutions through the years I cannot think of a better solution than Veeam Backup & Replication.
We have approximately 26 hosts in multiple locations that are backed up nightly to an SAN and replicated to another site. Additionally, we utilize Veeam Backup & Replication to back up our entire O365 environment to a cloud service provided away from AWS. We have been adding hosts and licenses since first acquiring Veeam Backup & Replication and have not missed a click on provided a good nights sleep.
Read Jim Crear's full review
December 30, 2020
Kevin Simmons | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use it over the entire company. It is our backup and replication solution. We backup locally and send that to a secondary site. We also replicate VM images to our Recovery cluster. Testing of this has always gone very well and other than some DNS work is flawless. Great product that takes care of what you need for backup and recovery in a disaster.
  • restore of individual files
  • total restore of Virtual machines
  • replication of VM's to secondary site
  • integration with AD
  • DNS update on the fly
  • Machine rename to replace missing machines
General backup and recovery it is the best. Replication is outstanding, Individual File recovery had saved us many times on our departmental servers. In replication you can snapshot the replicas about every 5 minutes to cover any changes to cover your main systems. We do this with all or SQL servers and has been excellent when issues arise.
Fifty Seven Virtual machines which are everything from file servers to apps and SQL boxes. Plus we back up each individual physical box at several locations. We backup across WAN connections and have no issues with this either. Many of our executives have commented that we have had a much better response for corrupted files and less down time due to failed machines. We runs a 2019 Failover cluster setup and this has made Veeam a simple choice.
Read Kevin Simmons's full review
December 22, 2020
Zach Olsen | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using Veeam to backup data and also replicate the backups as a copy to our data center and vice versa for disaster recovery. Instant VM recovery and also file explorer based recovery to meet our SLA goal of recovery in minutes or at least less than 24 hours.Backup of Hyper-V VM's and physical backup of some desktops with endpoint backup.
  • Application aware backup
  • Instant VM recovery
  • Fast backup
  • DR recovery and replication
  • Portable backups that are taken offline for a long period have a hard time to re-sync backup and just fail
Multiple locations is a great and beneficial use, cloud servers and backup. Fast backup and recovery.
Maybe too expensive for a small backup enviroment but there are some free options that are 2nd to none
30, about the same as when we started, but can easily grow to more as needed.
Read Zach Olsen's full review
March 31, 2021
Alex Polito | TrustRadius Reviewer
I was looking for software that would give me backup security in case of need. Veeam Backup & Replication is definitely the right solution for me. Ease of configuration, speed, reliability, and security are the main features that led me to choose it as a solution for my company. The licneza Community gives everyone the opportunity to be safe.
  • Backup VM
  • Fast file restore
  • Continuous Replication VM
Veeam Backup & Replication is certainly suitable for making backups of virtual and physical machines even on different platforms and different media. Useful is the possibility to make backups of the files inside the NAS.
The cloud part lacks a Veeam private cloud but it is necessary to rely on external providers.
Continuous VM replication functionality in a disaster recovery site is missing.
There [are] currently 8 Virtual Machine backup windows, I adopted Veeam because of the number of virtual [machines] I had to back up. The previous backup solution had limitations on the performance and management of the backup media, especially in the optimization of the used space. Compression is noticeable.
Read Alex Polito's full review
October 16, 2020
Jamie Bibbs | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Veeam to backup our important VM's both on site and off site to VTDs. It gives me that peace of mind knowing that I could spin my environment up on new hardware quickly in the event of a disaster.
  • Easily backup and restore VM's.
  • Schedule recurring backups with retention policies.
  • Integration with AWS and VTD support.
  • Auto Ejecting VTD's sometimes gets stuck and requires a manual kick.
  • Web UI feature on backup & replication.
  • Better remote monitoring.
Veeam is my go to for VM backups. It gives me the peace of mind knowing that my on site and off site backups are completing nightly, along with email notifications. This may be the most rudimentary implementation of Veeam, but it does it well and I will continue using the product.
I backup 8 workloads. This is about spot on with what I anticipated when the product was deployed because we knew exactly what we needed to run our environment.
Read Jamie Bibbs's full review
October 16, 2020
Scott Reese | TrustRadius Reviewer
We implemented Veeam B&R to replace several disparate backup solutions. Veeam is able to back up virtual servers (image level), files, and application-level (SQL, Exchange, SharePoint, Oracle) plus perform DR replication to a secondary site with a single product and is saving us $40,000 per year on software maintenance.
  • User interface is very good. Coming from Tivoli Storage Manager, this is a huge upgrade.
  • Scalability (proxy servers) and integration with deduplication appliances. Adding proxy servers for performance is a snap and requires no additional licensing.
  • Ease of restores of application data (SQL, SharePoint and Exchange). Very intuitive (except SharePoint, which is not intuitive anyway...).
  • It would be awesome if B&R could combine with the O365 product for a single management point.
We have one very busy special-use SQL application that doesn't like Veeam touching its databases. Other than that, we replaced TSM, DocAve, native SQL and Oracle backups and vFoglight all with one product that cost much less.
We have about 300 on-premise virtual machines in VMWare, 4 VMs in Azure, and 500 seats of O365. Together with Veeam Backup for O365 we are protecting all these workloads. Workload scale has not changed since we designed the solution. Veeam B&R is licensed by core on the VMWare hosts, so VM count can scale up and down withing the limits of the licensed hardware without license changes.
Read Scott Reese's full review
Nathan Lindsey | TrustRadius Reviewer
We love the ease of use in backing up our VMware vSphere environment.
  • Restores
  • Backups
  • Testing
  • DR
  • Jobs
  • Backup
[Veeam Backup & Replication is used for] backing up vm's for upgrades.
All Production servers. More as we learned the value.
Read Nathan Lindsey's full review
Caleb Wolf | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Veeam [Backup & Replication] for local backups of DC and File servers. This product works great for being hands off, reliable and trustworthy.
  • Easy setup
  • Intuitive application
  • Reliable software
  • Software loads very slow
[Veeam Backup & Replication is] very affordable for low budget environments.
One virtual and one physical, capacity has not changes since installation but could be expanded to several more virtual or physicals.
Read Caleb Wolf's full review
March 11, 2021
Corporate Information Technology uses it to back up our local virtualized environment, and keep backups on local as well as in the cloud. Although we currently have a small footprint, all servers are virtualized, and having copies of the backups in two locations brings up great peace of mind.
  • Ease of setup. Pointing Veeam at a vCenter instance automatically performs inventory of all systems, and it's easy to create exclusion rules for any hosts that don't need to be covered.
  • Compatibility with different storage platforms. Snapshots from NAS and SAN appliances, remote Windows shares, and cloud-based object storage are all compatible with Veeam to use as a backup storage target.
  • Great support, they definitely provide top tier support, with good response times and support engineers with great expertise without needing to escalate.
  • Veeam could work better with deduplicated storage devices for restoral, it can be very slow
  • SureBackup often times out, especially with deduplicated storage devices, so the processes should be tweaked to accommodate for these systems while still able to validate backups
It's easy to set up for both virtualized and physical servers. We had a mixed environment where Veeam was used to backup the virtualized workloads and a competitor's product was used for the physical servers. After years of touting quick and easy agentless backups, when they finally did release agents for Windows and Linux, we found that the performance was better and we could save quite a bit on licensing as well. It was really a no brainer to use Veeam for all of our backup needs.
At former companies, we have dozens or hundreds of VMs protected, but currently only about one dozen VMs, as we have a very small footprint and have most of our services hosted in the cloud with their own backup workflows. This is what was anticipated for this company, as there has been a cloud-first way of approaching infrastructure from the get-go.
February 05, 2021
Veeam Backup & Replication is being utilized to backup and protect our core virtual machines through VMWare. It is our primary backup utility, handling both backups to disk, replication to cloud providers, and backup to tape - all within a single console. Before this tool, we were limited in our backup options, and often needed to utilize more than one program or VMWare tool to back up our infrastructure - and even then we did not have a quick and easy way to test our backups.
  • Easy to Use - Single console that is intuitive and offers plenty of help text and tool-tips so you feel confident in making changes to critical infrastructure
  • Reliable - Veeam has certainly saved our skin in quickly restoring things - both at the file level and virtual machine level
  • Excellent community - community members and support personnel are eager to assist and troubleshoot when things don't go as planned
  • Visuals - when it comes to figuring out a backup methodology or retention settings, it sometimes takes some snooping around the forums and Veeam's Help Center to obtain graphical representations. I would love to see these and any visual representations available when setting job options - would've been helpful back when we first obtained the product.
Veeam is my go-to recommendation for anyone that is looking for a virtual machine backup solution, whether using Hyper-V or VMWare. Its ease of use, reliability, and pricing make it an excellent choice for any scenario requiring peace of mind of your virtual infrastructure backups. The software scales well, easily accommodating a single shop all the way to expanding to a multi-site, multi-tenant organization. I have recommended Veeam to anyone I have ever spoken to regarding backups and will continue to recommend them in the future.
February 02, 2021
Veeam Backup & Replication has enhanced our backup windows and has given us the ability to move backups offsite. [It] is complex enough to do our tough jobs, yet easy enough to manage so that any of our team can jump in without extensive training and still be able to manage some of the more common functions like restoring a backup or starting a new backup. The ability for it to handle physical machines as well as virtual under a single pane of glass has been a huge asset to our company.
  • Immutable storage integration with third-party vendors.
  • Alerting when jobs succeed or fail.
  • Speed of backups using proxies on-site and off-site.
  • Scale out repositories.
  • IBM I series integration.
  • Local option to mount or dismount a USB device for backups for an air gapped backup solution (poor mans immutable solution) for physical and virtual environments.
Virtual environments- Veeam is hands down the best software that I have ever used for backup. Physical endpoint control and management could be a bit more user friendly, but it works well once configured correctly.
30 virtual machines 3 physical, when we started using Veeam we had only 7 virtual machines and it has scaled up nicely. We went from just using a NAS as our repository to taking a old cluster and using the storage off a SAN and then migrated to a third party immutable storage offering that has increased our security from ransomware tremendously.
February 02, 2021
My license of Veeam [Backup & Replication] is used exclusively in our US office. It is being used by my department only. We use this product to backup all of our Test and Development machines. Since we do a lot of testing and development so it is nice to have Veeam [Backup & Replication] in the picture as mistakes happen and we can quickly restore any of these these Virtual Machines in case of an error that may be to hard to recover from in the development process. It is also an excellent tool to use for Archive. The compression and speed of the backup processes are very exceptional.
  • Backup of a Virtual Machine is fast, Restores are fast as well.
  • Flexibility of storage Media
  • Compression of data is great to minimize backup storage cost
  • Product stability and ease of use.
  • I do not have anything to complain about.
[Veeam Backup & Replication] is well suited for an environment that has many Virtual Machines and you want to insure that a restore can happen quickly. It is well suited for restoring the entire machine but not for restoring individual files within a machine.

I have had many issues where developer makes a fatal mistake with an environment. It is very quick to restore the machine and put it back to a restore point prior to the mistake.

We also preform clean ups of Virtual Machines on a quarterly basis. Usually about 10% of the machines we remove from inventory are required at a later date. With Veeam [Backup & Replication], I can quickly get these Virtual Machines back online with out costing major grief and expense to get machine back on and configured as it was.
When we first stated using "Virtual Machines" for development we had just a handful. This quickly grew into a major part of the business. In the beginning we used Virtual Box as a vehicle for Virtual Machines, and we just halted and copied the .VMDK files. This was a real killer.
We then stated using VMware and Veeam Backup and Replication which made my life way better. No more weekends manually copying VMDK files. We now have between 220 and 260 Virtual Machines that we backup mostly on a weekly basis using the Veeam tool. I never anticipated this becoming what it has and it is still growing.
January 28, 2021
We use [Veeam] Backup & Replication as a department, but backing up organization data as a whole.

This solves the need to store physical backups. We used to have physical tape drives that we would have to send off to Recall. With the pandemic, going into the office was not allowed.
  • Restoring backups are very simple and the GUI is well thought out.
  • Great support and user community
  • The Scale Out Repository setup could be simplified or more intuitive.
As described earlier, with the pandemic hitting, we used to backup to tape, then send our tapes off to Recall. It was a very clunky process and not very efficient. The need to get backups offsite without a manual process was a requirement with COVID and not being able to be in the building. It offloads backups to Azure (in our case) very efficiently.
We started out only backing up necessary data. Since using the product we have now licensed all our hosts to backup everything.

Universal recovery (142)
Live recovery (151)
Recovery verification (154)
Business application protection (140)
Multiple backup destinations (165)
Incremental backup identification (171)
Backup to the cloud (106)
Deduplication and file compression (159)
Snapshots (148)
Flexible deployment (137)
Management dashboard (23)
Platform support (141)
Retention options (143)
Encryption (122)

What is Veeam Backup & Replication?

Veeam Backup & Replication is a complete backup and disaster recovery solution that is hardware and cloud agnostic. It aims to help businesses achieve comprehensive data protection for ALL workloads — including virtual, physical and cloud-based workloads. With a single console, the vendor aims to help users achieve fast, flexible and reliable backup, recovery and replication of all applications and data.

Backup capabilities
  • Fast, reliable application-aware, image-based backups
  • Unlimited capacity and cost savings for long-term data retention on object storage with new Veeam Cloud Tier
  • Enterprise application support for NEW Veeam Plug-ins for SAP HANA and Oracle RMAN

Replication capabilities
  • Advanced replication and failover for Disaster Recovery
  • Built-in WAN Acceleration to get backups and replicas off site fast
  • Fully-integrated, cloud-based DR replication and fast, secure cloud backup with Veeam Cloud Connect through a service provider

Recovery capabilities
  • Recover individual files easily with Instant VM and File-level Recovery
  • Easy portability and recovery to AWS, Azure and Azure Stack with NEW Veeam Cloud Mobility
  • Fast, item-level and application recovery for Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, Active Directory, and SQL Server and Oracle

Veeam Backup & Replication Features

Data Center Backup Features

Has featureUniversal recovery
Has featureLive recovery
Has featureRecovery verification
Has featureBusiness application protection
Has featureMultiple backup destinations
Has featureIncremental backup identification
Has featureBackup to the cloud
Has featureDeduplication and file compression
Has featureSnapshots
Has featureFlexible deployment
Has featurePlatform support
Has featureRetention options
Has featureEncryption

Veeam Backup & Replication Screenshots

Veeam Backup & Replication Video

Join Veeam SE for an in-depth technical deep dive into the architecture and engineering of Veeam Backup & Replication. Learn how to protect your virtual workloads with Veeam Availability Suite by diving into the deployment and technical details of components that allow Veeam Backup & Replication to meet recovery service level objectives of less than 15 minutes for ALL applications and data. Find answers to burning questions around how it works.

Veeam Backup & Replication Downloadables

Veeam Backup & Replication Integrations

Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL Server, SAP HANA, NetApp FAS series, Pure Storage FlashArray, Cisco HyperFlex, Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft Active Directory, Oracle, NetApp FlexArray (V-Series), NetApp Data ONTAP Edg, IBM N-series, HPE 3PAR, HPE StoreVirtual, Nimble Storage AFA, Nimble Storage CSS, Dell EMC

Veeam Backup & Replication Competitors

Acronis Cyber Backup, Commvault Complete Backup & Recovery, Veritas Backup Exec and NetBackup, Rubrik Cloud Data Management, Cohesity DataProtect, Dell EMC

Veeam Backup & Replication Pricing

• Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes
Backup Essentials$400per year
Backup & ReplicationContact sales team
Availability SuiteContact sales team

Veeam sells through channel partners. Contact a partner for detailed pricing and quotes. Resellers or sales personnel are available for assistance.

Veeam Backup & Replication Customer Size Distribution