- Symantec a market leader in Data Protection
- De-duplication is a huge adjacent market
- Symantec has >8yrs experience in this technology
- Customers are re-architecting their BU designs
- Tape market is being replaced with disk backup market
- New delivery / implementation preference is emerging
- Sell a more powerful s/w & h/w combined solution
- Provide an end to end solution from one vendor
- Dedicated appliance strategy team at corporate level
- Provide our customers choice of form factor
- A more efficient method for customers to deploy s/w
Backup server, storage & de-duplication from one vendor
Deploy across all environments - DC, VMs, remote office
- NetBackup Appliance is the best effective backup and restore solution out in the market for enterprise level.
- Fastest deduplication available in the appliance.
- First time ever V-ray implementation.
- Symantec NetBackup Appliance has a dedicated de-duplication tool that comes with the appliance but it would be better if could have the ability to add other de-dupe tool.
- End users can avoid all the testing phases of the software (NetBackup) and it will save their time and effort to start their backup environment.
- End users can use all the features of NetBackup . Software and hardware compatibility is verified and confirmed from Veritas. End client doesn't need to worry about the software/application(NetBackup)/OS patches.
- We cannot make an appliance in Cluster Mode.
- Cost is little bit high for a medium size business.
- Need to look for flash disks for OS for appliance which can perform with speed.
NetBackup Appliance gives an efficient solution for backup, storage, and deduplication. Providing simple, cost-effective backup and recovery for the data center, remote offices, and virtual environments. In our organization NBU ENGINEERS(Department) use Integrated Appliance sometimes. Which provides us with:
1) Scalable Architecture
2) Ultimate virtual machine protection
3) Intelligent End-to-End Deduplication
4) Pre-installed with NetBackup software to provide a comprehensive and integrated backup and storage solution for customers.
- Hardware, software, and support are all managed by Veritas. You won’t need to unbox, load, install, test, manage, and support multiple solution elements such as a server, storage, operating system, backup software, and network connectivity. There’s also no need to integrate with solutions from other suppliers.
- “NetBackup is the most scalable backup & recovery solution”
- Fast performance and scalability
- Cost efficient and simple to manage
- In our company we are 10 members, we provide lot services to Arrosoft solutions which is our client such as health checkup, statement of work, and through esxi server we provide some services for NetBackup like creating deduplication pool, working on storage devices, And of course on Netbackup Appliances.
- Our appliance-based data protection approach will be a critical part of the agile data center infrastructure that will facilitate our build out of cloud services-both public and private.
- NetBackup Appliances provide significant benefits over traditional build-your-own (BYO) media servers as organizations are able to:
- Implement faster deployments
- Reduce risk by minimizing planned and unplanned downtime
- Improve staff efficiency and enhance service levels
- NetBackup 5200 series —A versatile integrated backup appliance that can be deployed as a master server, or media server, or both, for a NetBackup domain.
- Vendor lock-in is a big downside because using integrated backup appliances makes the assumption that you want to control all backup processes directly from their backup software. But this is not reality.
- For example, a database administrator may want to protect the database environment using Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN) rather than using the appliance's backup software.
Veritas NetBackup Appliance Scorecard Summary
About Veritas NetBackup Appliance
Veritas NetBackup Appliance Technical Details