Vertical Response Reviews

Genie Forkner | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 02, 2020

Ideal Solution For Non-Profits, Freelancers and Small Businesses

Vertical Response has been my go-to solution for email marking for 7+ years not only for my own business but for my customers as well. In particular my clients that are non-profit organizations. Email marketing is an essential tool for charities and the Vertical Response Non-Profit program really helps me stretch their marketing budget when every dollar counts.
  • Excellent reporting features.
  • Easy list management.
  • Simple user interface.
  • I'd like to see more options in the template gallery.
  • The newer V2 version can be a little glitchy when arranging elements.
  • Backgrounds can be a little tricky to customize.
Vertical Response is a great choice for freelancers, small businesses and small to medium non-profits looking for an easy-to-use basic email marketing solution or a tool that can easily create and automate social or drip campaigns. Pricing is based on your list size and most packages are extremely affordable. For my smaller non-profit groups the FREE version offers all the features they need to create dynamic and stylish emails and manage their mailing lists easily.
Read Genie Forkner's full review
Kimberly Devane | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 05, 2020

Works well

I use Vertical Response as my bulk email program. I probably use it about once per month. When I am sending out surveys to my database, I use Vertical Response. I pay for credits as I go.
  • Bulk emailing.
  • Pay as you use it - buy credits.
  • I find the credits are expensive.
  • It could be a bit more user friendly.
It works well if you need a bulk emailing system.
Read Kimberly Devane's full review
February 19, 2020

No Frills. Great for ad-hoc campaigns outside of a primary CRM

I use Vertical Response for email marketing and communications within my organization. I work in higher education and we primarily use Salesforce as our solution to send email campaigns to students. However, when we have to send emails to mixed audiences that include students (who have records in our CRM) and external audiences, such as partners, Salesforce can't meet our needs. That's where Vertical Response comes in. We use it for all external communications, as well as on an ad-hoc basis for campaigns that may include those with and without contact records in our CRM.
  • Flexible payment options.
  • Agile interface.
  • Limited templates.
  • Slow to adopt innovative features.
If you need an ad-hoc email solution outside of your CRM, Vertical Response is a great fit (I know/understand it can also integrate with your CRM, but my personal needs focused on something that was specifically not integrated). You have the option to pay a monthly fee, or to pay on an as-needed basis, which works nicely for me. Easy to use.
Jeya Chelliah | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 07, 2019

Very happy customer

We send out email e-newsletters and marketing emails to scientists.
  • Easy to design their email template.
  • Easy to upload your email list.
  • Easy to schedule your email campaign.
  • Good customer service.
  • They can improve on the tracking information.
  • Need to fine tune their unsubscribe links.
  • Need more customized email templates.
Well suited for email marketing campaigns. Not suited for regular email newsletters.
Read Jeya Chelliah's full review
December 07, 2018

Vertical Response is a Great Tool

Vertical Response is used to blast out mass emails to our entire client base. It allows a central data that consists of bounced, mailable, and unsubscribes so that we do not continue to send emails to those who do not want to receive them. It allows us a tool to send out emergency e-blasts quick to our customers.
  • Allows us to have a centralized database of customers.
  • Allows us to send out emergency emails in a few minutes.
  • Provides us with stats to see who opened the emails and how they are performing.
  • There isn't anything that I feel should be changed.
It's great for blasting out emergency emails such as service issues, weather conditions, or anything else that needs to be relayed to customers quickly. We've used it in instances where our service may or has been affected by snow storms, when phone lines weren't working, for articles to inform customers on current events, etc.
Maggie Karl | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 08, 2016

Vertical Response review

We used Vertical Response to send all of our mass emails - newsletters, email blasts, etc - to a variety of segmented lists. It was used only by the marketing department, but in support of the entire organization. It addressed our need to communicate with a large mailing list, and to segment that list into different audiences.
  • Vertical Response provided our email platform for free as a nonprofit grant
  • Vertical Response was very editable and 100% customizable
  • It was easy to edit text and add as many pictures as we wanted
  • For an end user and not a designer, Vertical Response was not as user friendly as other email platforms I have used
Vertical Response is well-suited for organizations on a tight budget, and organizations who can hire a developer to create custom templates. For those in the middle, it is not as user-friendly as other options.
Read Maggie Karl's full review
Nichole Fabbro | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 12, 2015

Vertical Response the ultimate tool for start-ups

I utilized Vertical Response to send out email style newsletters to a few different campaign lists with different information. I was the only user and I was trying to find a cost efficient and easy to use platform that could easily be put together by someone with little to no coding experience.
  • The tools that they provide you with for building out emails are particularly easy to use. I love the drag and drop ability that gives anyone the opportunity to build professional looking emails without any extensive experience.
  • With the majority of people checking emails on mobile, it is necessary to have highly responsive designs and this tool does all the work for you, no developer is needed and that is a MAJOR plus.
  • In the way I use Vertical Response I have not run into any issues thus far. I have not tried to do anything too complex yet which is probably why.
Vertical Response is well suited for small to medium sized companies that are just getting their feet wet with email marketing. If you have a small budget or are trying to get the word out about your product or service I would recommend giving this a try due to its ease of use and reporting functions that can easily guide the novice user.
Read Nichole Fabbro's full review
Billy Woody | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 08, 2015

Vertical Respnse Review

• It was great for keeping a DB of customers and to be able to update quickly.
  • The web tools available that allowed us to create online signups was very helpful.
  • The ability to create multiple programs at once was very helpful.
  • Maybe more templates for the restaurant industry or more templates in general.
  • An easier to use editor for the web based email.
  • A desktop version to work offline.
As mentioned before, it is a great product that can scale with your company. So while you are small and growing you can pay less and when you grow it can grow with you in terms of the amount of customers you can track and mass mail to. Everyone should use this.
Read Billy Woody's full review
Anna Alioto | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 03, 2015

Vertical Response Rocks!

• Easy to use.
  • Good Templates.
  • Inexpensive - pay as you use.
  • Web-based so can use anywhere.
  • Not enough space between articles, I have to use a line with **** to create a break between articles. Even though they have a horizonal line, it does not work well, would be better if you could make the horizontal line thicker and with color.
  • I use specific templates, but would be nice to see more templates with the same layout for seasons, if I go to change the template for a holiday season, it messes us my contact information below, so instead, I just add a holiday image to my template.
  • If you use words with an apostrophe, like the words don't or I've, the apostrophe is not recognized, so the word comes out with a "amp$#" something like that, so when I review the draft, I have to go in and change the words to "do not and I have" eliminating the apostrophe.
Of all the programs out there for onlines newsletters, I think VR is the easiest to use, inexpensive and you are able to create professional newsletters and email blasts. I also the like the pay as you use program versus a monthly fee, as some of my clients only send out a bi-monthly newsletter and others send out emails blasts once a week.
Read Anna Alioto's full review
Eric Needle | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 21, 2015

Vertical Response, an excellent service for managing corporate and SMB mailing campaigns

• Manages bulk email campaigns
  • Designs and delivers emails in industry standard format.
  • Excellent reporting metrics
  • Vertical Response is an excellent service.
I think bulk mail creation, distribution and reporting has been refined to the point that most anyone can use any of the widely available tools to get excellent results. I have passed VR's marketing materials to colleagues.
Read Eric Needle's full review
Barbara Gross | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 09, 2014

Vertical reponse made a HUGE difference in my department !

• Use Vertical Response for tracking response rates on department surveys.
  • Graphics and charting for comparative data are great.
  • Email is easy to use - link to surveys.
  • Hard to see which survey was the most recent - in reports they come up in random order.
VR is very easy to use. Our marketing department uses it for many many purposes. Vendors send us updates on how to best use emails and send reminders when specials are coming up. For me personally, I use the program for one specific thing - and for that purpose it works amazingly well.
Read Barbara Gross's full review
Yolanda Vann | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 17, 2014

Vertical Response - I Love It!

We used Vertical Response to send mass emails to campaign supporters during election season. We were on an extremely tight budget, it did exactly what we needed at little to no cost.
  • It sends email to your supporters email address and Facebook inboxes
  • Drag and drop let's you make the emails easily but you can also use HTLM
  • Good selection of email templates to chose from
  • I doesn't allow you to link to all social media, the only choices are Facebook and Twitter. They should include instagram, linkedin, etc.
Because VR sends the email to Facebook inboxes, it is great for marketers who have many Facebook likes. My actual email list was only 150 people, but because Facebook was included in the send, I was able to send 700 emails over facebook.
Read Yolanda Vann's full review
Kerry Flory | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 16, 2013

Easy for a Novice!

• I admittedly am a limited user of Vertical Response. I do the data entry for our mailing lists, and we use Vertical Response fairly minimally. I think the interface is fairly easy for someone with limited experience to start using. If your staff has any sort of database management or mailing list management experience, they should be able to pick up using the application fairly well.
  • Vertical Response allows you to quickly/easily search for people on the list to update details of their entry.
  • Vertical Response has a simple dashboard that allows you to see the response to your most recent e-mails or to jump to another of the mailing, reporting, or list management functions.
  • The type face is small. Not sure if this is to avoid overwhelming the reader, but I could see this being an issue with vision-impaired people or people who don't see small print well.
  • Sometimes I find it takes multiple clicks to make one simple change. I wish there was a search field at the top of the screen that allowed me to jump directly to a client's entry to update it there.
I would state that I have limited knowledge of other products, but that Vertical Response has been an asset to our agency, specifically with regard to fundraising and keeping our contacts abreast current news, program services, and lead staffing changes at our agency.
Read Kerry Flory's full review
Britney N. Minnick | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 07, 2013

Underwhelming, but it works.

• Option of starting from scratch or modifying a pre-built template.
  • works with Salesforce.
  • Can send test emails.
  • The interface is clunky, not very pretty or easy to use.
  • Multiple frames/scroll bars is confusing.
Obviously cost and budget can be a huge deciding factor, but after that it comes down to ease of use and how intuitive the interface is. VR needs improvement here.
Read Britney N. Minnick's full review
Richard Wagner | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 07, 2013

Vertical Response as Email Marketing Solution

• Multiple methods for our users to send messages. We have users who use the Vertical Response software along with our in-house application (connecting to VR's API) to send messages to our guests
  • Cost effective solution that allows us to combine our marketing efforts for our properties at a greatly reduced cost then their previous processes.
  • Allowing us to pull response data into our data warehouse to analyze conversion rates on messages to track what does and doesn't work
  • When sending multiple large messages (50k) through the API around the same time, the messages sometimes are delayed in getting sent out by 20-30 minutes as it's processing the data.
  • More integrated solution for managing people who want to opt-out of only certain messages. Right now, the only option using the unsubscribe link embedded in the message is to remove them entirely. So if we want to manage user preferences so they only get what they want, we have to include 2 links for managing this.
How many emails are you planning on sending per month? By buying credits that you'll use over the next 6-12 months at once, you will get a greater cost savings then buying credits as you use them. Also, determine how to setup your accounts...we set them up by outlet so we can the most control over unsubscriptions on emails.
Read Richard Wagner's full review
Aubrey Blankenship | TrustRadius Reviewer

Small Business Friendly, Lacking Tools for Growth

• VR has great templates that do not require HTML skills to use.
  • Easy to upload and manage contacts.
  • Provides a simple user interface that makes it easy to learn.
  • They offer a great product for the price.
  • To keep up with the competition, Vertical Response should add a marketing automation feature.
  • Vertical Response should enhance its product to offer list segmentation.
  • It's been a few years since I last used Vertical Response but I remember it was a little more clunky than some other email marketing platforms.
I would recommend Vertical Response to companies or individuals who have a small amount of contacts and a low budget. It is a great platform for starting out. When you don't have many contacts you don't have a need for all the bells and whistles other programs offer. Marketing automation is only necessary if you have a lot of contacts and responses you wish to manage. However, if you want to keep leads separate i.e. trade show leads, webinar leads, Vertical Response does not do a good job of helping you filter through new leads automatically, you would have to add them manually to the specific list you want within the platform. However, if you just want to send out some emails to your list of email contacts and see some basic analytics like open and click through rates, this is a great platform for the price.
Read Aubrey Blankenship's full review
Brent Hall | TrustRadius Reviewer

Vertical Response works for SMBs

• Easy of use.
  • Cost.
  • Customization.
  • Greater A/B and multi-variate test sophistication.
  • Robust tracking or integration with Google Analytics.
  • Integration with 3rd party systems.
It is a good solution for small businesses and non-profits. It lacks some of the more advanced functionality of more expensive email management solutions, but is great for companies that need a solution that is easy to figure out, train users on, and get up and running with minimal effort. If you are looking for more robust database management and segmentation, you may look elsewhere, but if you are looking for value in a solution this is a good choice.
Read Brent Hall's full review
Melanie Zilles, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 30, 2013

VR is a cost efficient tool, great for email marketing starters

• Analytics provide a way to track engagement.
  • Social Sharing is very easy/ automatized.
  • VR provides a pay as you go option for businesses with irregular/ low volume email marketing.
  • The WYSIWYG editor is easy to use, but is somewhat limited as well.
  • Templates are somewhat difficult to personalize/ customize.
  • Sometimes the test message arrives in different fonts throughout the email even when the preview screen does not show it.
If you are looking for something fairly easy and cost efficient to use, VR is a great choice. If you are looking to use it for advanced email marketing messages, it would be beneficial if the user had a good understanding of html to possibly create a more suitable layout etc.
Read Melanie Zilles, MBA's full review
Osman Ghafoor | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 14, 2013

VR - Infrequent user integration with SFDC

• Vertical Response model of charging is better for our use case. We only send out emails once a year and are not interested in regular mailings.
  • Integration with Salesforce.com make usage easier
  • Easy to set up templates.
  • It would be good if we could actually send attachments in the email that gets sent out, rather than rely on a link.
For a company that only send emails occasionaly then selecting a product like Vertical Response is ideal. You only purchase credits at the time you want to send the email. If you use Salesforce.com then integrating Vertical Respose is a must. Tracking the data of how many recipients opened and clicked on links in the email was a real eye opener. This changed the whole though process about the types of emails that we send.
Read Osman Ghafoor's full review
Christine Remsen | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 05, 2013

Great service for small businesses that want to look really professional.

• Great professional templates.
  • Easy navigation.
  • Good delivery statistics.
  • More technical than a Constant Contact.
If you need something more professional than the more generic free email clients, this works well.
Read Christine Remsen's full review
Holly Kile | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 04, 2013

Vertical Response Keeps Your Biz Climbing

• Vertical Response allows the user to segment lists in a variety of ways making it easy to reach exactly the right target within your email community.
  • Vertical Response allows users of different levels the ability to create dynamic emails so even the novice can produce quality output.
  • Vertical Response is a cost-effective way for companies to manage their email marketing budget.
  • Navigating the support options is a little tricky but once you figure out how it's laid out, you're golden.
This is definitely one to consider when you're ready to step up from the "free options" when it comes to email marketing. Just the right bells and whistles for your business.
Read Holly Kile's full review
Kristin Hersant | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 19, 2013

The Best SMB Email System on the Market

• The Salesforce.com integration is some of the best in the industry. Vertical Response makes it very easy to pull lists directly from SFDC and write back campaign data post campaign.
  • The product is easy to use and the price point is amazingly low for the quality of product that you receive.
  • There is no ability to customize the footer. They are trying to ensure CAN-SPAM compliance, but the implementation is a little too prescribed.
  • The bounce reporting doesn't break down why each individual email bounced, it just lumps them all into one category. This makes it challenging to manage email lists.
Read Kristin Hersant's full review
Michael Wilson | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 19, 2013

Easy Set Up & Integration with Salesforce

• The integration with salesforce was relatively point and click
  • Tracking receipts of emails in the constituent's record in Salesforce
  • The process of updating existing lists is not great. We find that we generally have to rerun the query and save as a new list, a process that is easier than manually adding to the old list
  • If you want to create an email template, you have to have uploaded images to the saved library. If you try to create a new email using an existing email and the existing email contained images that were uploaded directly to the email, you'll get an error when trying to send. The error wasn't well explained. This caused us to call in (after trying several times) to figure out the problem. However, the support process was quick and helpful to diagnose this.
  • You have to call in to get the Vertical Response product attribution removed from the emails you send. After doing so once, it's removed on all future emails.
A couple of times I've had to wait on hold for 10 minutes. Otherwise it's been good. The support reps have been knowledgeable.
Read Michael Wilson's full review
September 04, 2015

Positive Response for Vertical Response

Our organization uses, and has been using, Vertical Response for many years to help market to multiple customers channels.
  • I love the ease of list builder because we often times have a lot of data to import. It would be simply impossible without this tool, considering the amount of customer data we have for any one given email.
  • We really enjoy the ease of use of the HTML wizard as well. It helps even a novice be able to make a beautiful and attention grabbing email.
  • The dashboard is functional and easy to find when you need with a quick search.
  • Truly, for our business, there are not many things that Vertical Response could improve on to make us recommend it more. I can't think of any complaints.
Vertical Response is a great tool for reaching out to customers en masse. The only time I don't use Vertical Response is when I am contacting one or two customers at a time. Otherwise, I almost exclusively use Vertical Response due to that fact I can track the efficacy of our marketing efforts.
At Vertical Response the help desk associates are courteous, knowledgeable and helpful. You can tell they enjoy what they do. And clearly, they are well trained because most times, the first point of contact is able to resolve any issue you may have. There have been very few times where an associate has needed to get back to me or escalate me to a supervisor.

WYSIWYG email editor (6)
Dynamic content (4)
9.6
Ability to test dynamic content (3)
9.6
Landing pages (3)
A/B testing (4)
Mobile optimization (4)
Email deliverability reporting (7)
9.8
List management (7)
9.8
Triggered drip sequences (2)
Dashboards (8)
Standard reports (8)
9.5
Custom reports (5)
10.0

About Vertical Response

VerticalResponse is a full-service email marketing platform from Deluxe. In addition to providing email marketing tools, VerticalResponse offers fully managed email marketing services from campaign launch and management to reporting and analysis.

Key Features