Vimeo Reviews

Marissa Roth | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 22, 2020

Vimeo was the best move for our company.

Pros and Cons

• User-friendly interface for administrators of the account and external viewers. Being able to easily navigate a new platform or software is ideal for anyone.
  • Seamless sharing and embedding across many platforms. Vimeo is well-recognized so it makes it easy for other platforms to recognize Vimeo. The compatibility is outstanding.
  • As an administrator of the account, being able to select viewing privileges may seem like a basic function, but it's so necessary right now with how heavy our organization is utilizing the platform. We can mass upload content early and only release it for the public over time by simply changing it to a public video.
  • In the past, I have had trouble locating the account of others to follow. It very well could be user error, however, finding others within the organization has been a challenge.
  • The navigation pane on the left-hand side could be more thorough than the basic "Home, Video and Create" options available.
  • I would like to see more comprehensive editing features to videos being uploaded. Trimming, audio, and other options should be readily available.
Read Marissa Roth's full review
Jonah Dempcy | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 29, 2020

Boutique Video Service Evokes Artsy Sophistication

Pros and Cons

• Image and Branding - Vimeo has always had an edge on design and branding versus its competitors like YouTube. Using Vimeo as a content delivery platform gives the appearance of being luxurious and having a high-end product.
  • Video Configuration - I've used YouTube through multiple iterations of their video management and configuration options, and Vimeo has continued to beat it hands down, both in ease of use and robustness. I can easily organize my Vimeo videos into tags and playlists while I still struggle with YouTube, where it is quite laborious.
  • User Interaction - Vimeo allows you to capture user email addresses for email lists with ease, something its competitors have not figured out yet. You can easily split your video into chapters and hyperlink from within the video to other areas, features which competitors like YouTube have in some form but not nearly as easy to use or well-implemented as Vimeo.
  • Video Analytics - Vimeo has a full-featured analytics suite that helps content creators understand user interaction and engagement with their videos.
  • Versioning and Collaboration - Vimeo has workflows for video history and for collaboration where you can have a content creator upload a video which enters a pipeline for an editor to approve. I have not used these workflows, but it's pretty cool that they have implemented features like this.
  • Custom Micro-Sites - I have only ever embedded Vimeo videos in websites that I've created, or sent them as links to clients, but I have seen well-designed micro-sites for content creators built using Vimeo. Overall, Vimeo does design and branding very well. Their micro-sites look much better, visually speaking, than competitors like YouTube whose equivalent feature, the YouTube Channel, just seems dry in comparison.
  • Price - For the full featureset of Vimeo, you will be paying $900 a year as of 2020, and this is expected to only go up over time. Thankfully, Vimeo offers lower tiers with less functionality, and most people will not need the unlimited streaming viewers or whopping 7 TB of storage that you get for the highest level of membership. But it is still a premium price for a premium service.
  • "Suggested" Algorithm - The equivalent of YouTube's suggested videos feature is the Vimeo Staff Picks, which recommends curated content from their team of editors. While this content generally has a high level of production, it is not especially relevant to the video you are watching, or to your watch history as a user. I rarely watch suggested videos in Vimeo.
  • Search - The Vimeo search page is beautiful, having huge thumbnails of videos with a clean, visually-appealing layout. However, the results themselves leave much to be desired. When I search for "jung" to try to find videos on Swiss psychologist C. G. Jung, of the first 18 results, not a single result is actually about C. G. Jung. On Youtube, the first 14 results are all about Jung. When I search for "c. g. jung" on Vimeo I find a number of relevant results, so it's not that the videos are not available in Vimeo. Rather, the search algorithm is not returning relevant results.
Read Jonah Dempcy's full review
Marquita Angelina | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 05, 2020

Highly disappointed with Vimeo

Pros and Cons

• Nothing I can really think of.
  • Customer support - it sucks with only canned responses, and I don't think you're ever speaking with a real person via email.
  • Allowing for video editing on line (at least being able to cut videos).
  • Better uploading experience for the end user (don't have any issues with other video hosting providers).
Read Marquita Angelina's full review
Julianna Oates | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 27, 2020

Why I love Vimeo!

Pros and Cons

• Vimeo allows us to easily sort our films in to showcases (like folders) for easy filing.
  • Vimeo allows us to add tags that help our videos become more searchable on search engines.
  • Vimeo allows us to share films easily with clients around the world with a simple URL share.
  • Vimeo allows us to set privacy settings for each film so that privacy is always an option for our clients.
  • I wish Vimeo's showcases had their own privacy features. If I create a showcase where the videos within that showcase are private, viewers can still see the title of the video and that it exists in that showcase, they just can't watch the actual video. That seems like a big flaw to me... a private video should be totally private and not able to be seen at all by anyone other than the account holder.
  • I think the way you publish videos to YouTube could be better! I wish the cover image from Vimeo transferred to YouTube when published.
Read Julianna Oates's full review
March 10, 2020

Vimeo has helped us find so much new work!

Pros and Cons

• Vimeo allows users to easily search through their body of work in just seconds.
  • Vimeo allows us to tag each film independently based on its content.
  • Vimeo allows us to sort like films into showcases (like folders).
  • Vimeo allows people online to find our films easily.
  • I wish viewers who were looking at our Vimeo channel had the option to search through our work with a search bar so they could type in a word or phrase and our films that related would appear for them. We have that option on our side, but I wish our potential clients had that option within our specific channel.
  • I wish the selected cover image would move over to YouTube when published from Vimeo.
Michael Anderson | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 15, 2019

Vimeo is professional video hosting at its best.

Pros and Cons

• Vimeo's Pro and Business plans offer TONS of host space limited only by large weekly limits (unlimited on business level)
  • Vimeo's review tools have improved immensely to match competitors like Frame.io making Vimeo a hugely viable option for client review hosting. They offer easy to use timecoded comments, customizable branding elements, engagements graphs and tools.
  • Vimeo also has a desktop app for Mac and Windows that makes uploading and managing videos a little easier. They've also added plugin integration with NLEs like Premiere Pro.
  • If you are uploading very large videos (event coverage, training, full interviews, etc) you will quickly rip through the weekly upload limits on the free and Pro tiers, requiring the much more expensive business level.
  • I've found the load times and responsiveness on some of the menu screens to be a bit slow. This could be optimized down the road.
Read Michael Anderson's full review
Matthew Dilworth | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 01, 2019

Get ready to go with Vimeo

Pros and Cons

• Easy upload tools make it a snap to add to your video library
  • Extensive video player customization and playback options
  • Easy to navigate user interface
  • Needs Marketo and Salesforce integration
  • More advanced video gating options
  • Would be nice to order close caption files direct from Vimeo to incorporate in as subtitles and in different languages
Read Matthew Dilworth's full review
November 15, 2019

Great full service video hosting and sharing product for (most of) your company's needs.

• Great video player.
  • Robust and flexible options for embedding videos to your website.
  • Professional analytics.
  • Great customer service (pro-level membership).
  • Seamless uploading and managing of all our companies video assets.
  • It's not as socially robust as YouTube.
  • We sometimes bump into limitations with embedding videos (only in certain use cases).
Hanaa Ibham | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 06, 2019

Vimeo; A great platform for great videos!

Pros and Cons

• Increased storage space is definitely a plus.
  • Definitely more secure, than other video sharing platforms.
  • I love the auto-expiring links that we can share with clients on limited time offers.
  • Downloading the videos are very convenient compared to other video sharing platforms.
  • The Vimeo videos do not appear on search engine results, it would be better if search engines can find them.
  • The search option can be made better. Looking up for old videos are a hassle sometimes.
  • Can have CC autogeneration option, it would be better.
Read Hanaa Ibham's full review
Mark Nowowiejski | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 05, 2019

Take Video Streaming to a higher level at a lower price

Pros and Cons

• The portfolio/collection template allows us to build out setlists very quickly but also gives us flexibility on the overall and look and feel. If you know even basic CSS you can do quite a bit with it.
  • Domain control. My clients are often particular about where certain videos can be embedded or shared. Vimeo allow me to specify exactly which sites the content can be embedded in.
  • Vimeo allows us to attach custom cover slides to every video, something that was a pain point with some of the other services we looked at.
  • Customer Service has always been very strong, especially when we needed to pull customized reports or massive collections of links
  • You can upload a replacement file to an existing asset with out worrying about the url or embed code changing.
  • It needs to support more users under a single account. I often end up having to share login information with other team members or clients which is not ideal in terms of security. The 'PRO' account only allows for 3 users which no even remotely close to what I typically need.
  • The search feature isn't great, it allows for tagging and descriptions but the titles seem to be the only thing that counts when it returns results.
  • It doesn't have an embeddable playlist feature like YouTube.
  • There are no real inline interactive elements available. would love to be able to do in-video polls or quizzes.
Read Mark Nowowiejski's full review
Michael Ball-Marian | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 02, 2019

Great for embedded video hosting

Pros and Cons

• Easy to add and organize your videos.
  • Easy to set up team members and control permissions.
  • Great, simple, configurable UI for embedding your videos.
  • Doesn't auto-play the next video, or show unrelated videos to our users. This was key. I think there is some way to do this with YouTube, but it wasn't as obvious. Vimeo just did what we wanted from the start.
  • I was a little hard to edit/replace an existing video. I recall we found some way to do that, but it was not at all obvious.
  • Really, nothing else major that I recall.
Read Michael Ball-Marian's full review
Rajiv Chidambaram, BE, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 01, 2019

Great hosting & sharing tool, but it could have more features available to PRO users!

Pros and Cons

• Easy To Manage Content: The Process to Upload, Manage and Use is very straightforward
  • Good Quality: The Player itself looks very nice, and the videos are always crisp and high quality to share online.
  • Customizing the Look: We have many different brands in our portfolio, and Vimeo Pro makes it easy for us to customize and use various logos for different videos.
  • Would be great to add forms/lead gen tools to the Pro version as the next tier is very expensive for a small marketing budget team.
  • Provide templates/examples of how to present videos/product demos for specific markets/audiences.
Read Rajiv Chidambaram, BE, MBA's full review
Mike Wittenstein | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 01, 2019

VimeoPro: Super valuable for non-pro professionals who use video

Pros and Cons

• It’s super easy to upload, tag, and set a variety of preferences quickly and accurately. Vimeo Pro has the basics down.
  • The playback feature is highly configurable so that you can give Ewers as much or as little control over the video, the volume, and the branding as you like.
  • One of the newer features as the ability to have people comment on work-in-progress videos. It’s intuitive to just click your mouse, type your comment, and move on.
  • I would like Vimeo Pro to offer the ability to configure more detail and descriptions as you upload a single video or a group of videos. That would save me some time.
Read Mike Wittenstein's full review
Rocky Kev | TrustRadius Reviewer

Vimeo Pro works!

• Private Video Hosting
  • Lots of options - privacy, video customization, API calls
  • Streams videos without much hiccups
  • Affordable
  • Easy to host videos quickly
  • Video templates - so you can have a set of options saved and reuse it over and over again
  • Tends to give video errors of 'this video is private' when it's not. It then fixes itself a few minutes later.
  • Their reporting tool is inaccurate and unclear of what anything means.
  • It still has a history of wanting to look like Youtube, with a video feed and a social media side, that just has no value for me.
Read Rocky Kev's full review
March 12, 2019

High Quality Videos for the Creative Industry

• Easy to administer.
  • Great video quality.
  • Good access controls.
  • Better navigation, sometimes I get lost.
  • Since it is specialized in its use, I would like to see innovative video content options.
  • Improve commenting and review options.
  • More external integrations.
March 09, 2019

Vimeo Pro: A Must Have

Pros and Cons

• The support for our videos is fantastic – there's no loss in resolution/compression...all of our videos are crystal-clear.
  • We can customize the privacy links of our videos so that we can upload an incomplete project just to show a client current progress (way easier than FTP transfer in most cases).
  • Vimeo Pro lets you see stats on your videos. Which ones have the most clicks/watches, etc. It's been great for our target marketing.
  • Vimeo Pro lacks the capacity to have a playlist of videos in a coordinated sequence that kind of revolves around a certain topic – you have to do some clicking around sometimes.
  • Processing times for videos can be a bit...time-consuming. Especially when you have clients that demand everything "yesterday."
  • If you're trying to market your video on Vimeo, it's a bit tough considering Google or Bing doesn't always show Vimeo results in contrast to YouTube videos.
March 05, 2019

It does what I need it to do

• Clear user interface.
  • Easy to use even for beginners!
  • Ad-free.
  • Clean look.
  • Ability to tailor and configure different details as I upload a single/multiple videos.
  • There are times when I've tried to upload, and it will fail for no obvious reason.
March 05, 2019

Vimeo is a solid offering for the right market use cases.

Pros and Cons

• Vimeo allows us to have our data off-site and backed up.
  • Vimeo provides easy sharing and embed customization.
  • Vimeo has granular permissions which are nice to establish the desired privacy levels.
  • I wish they offered a ZERO OVERLAY player embed. One we could auto-play that had zero play bar, controls, etc. They come close, but not fully transparent.
  • Copyright enforcement is severe. We've had our account for over a decade and had 2 items flagged in the first few months that a user on a team had re-posted to our account from someone else. This was an instant 2 violations. Our third came nearly a decade later when a different user uploaded a copyrighted piece. Vimeo suspended our account and we were given a small time frame to download 10 years worth of data (an impossible feat) and all our embeds were broken on websites. They had no phone number to contact and no appeals process outside of an email address they say takes 24-36 hours (we never heard back on it). We had to track down an unlisted number to find out more info and appeal to the copyright owner to pull their DMCA complaint and then our account was restored. This process is not logical. There should be a longer grace period, a support number with a real person, and some sort of logic applied to how to handle this properly. Why would a 10 year customer with thousands of videos be treated the same as a new account with 3 violations? Especially when we could re-open a new account and keep going... so odd.
February 12, 2019

Vimeo is perfect for Video Freelancers

Pros and Cons

• The fact that I can choose the privacy settings on which video to share is one of my favorites of Vimeo Pro. It's not just an option of a private link. I can have videos set with passwords or have them completely private so only people within my company can view.
  • The amount of storage is another wonderful option on Vimeo Pro. I can have videos ranging from YEARS ago and not have to worry about having to delete anything.
  • Another great feature is having my own profile. It's nice for my freelancing because I can send someone to my Vimeo page to view more videos and examples of my work if they want to see more than what is on my website.
  • Because I am constantly sending videos out for comments from clients, it would be nice to have a feature where Vimeo Pro can allow other people to add edits on certain timecodes so that I don't have to have a separate email to go over all of their comments. I would like it to be right there, on the video. I have to use different software if I'm wanting this to be done.
December 19, 2018

Vimeo Pro Makes You Look Like a Pro

• Highest quality of video
  • No ads play before the video
  • Easily embeds into email or websites
  • Vimeo lacks the search engine force that YouTube commands
  • It costs money which can be hard to get the budget for
  • It would be nice to have it play within an email client rather than open a new window
Chris Hecox | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 09, 2018

Vimeo Review

Pros and Cons

• Vimeo is an easy way to provide links for clients to access the videos we've produced for them. Links are as simple as any web link. You can make a video private and password protect it, unlist it, ensure only specific Vimeo users can see a video, etc.
  • Videos can be presented as private review links, which would allow for private feedback and a customized interface for clients.
  • Videos can be highly customized in terms of what UI will be displayed on a video (i.e. play button, share button, related videos, etc.) which means a producer will never have issues with clients being able to dig into the producer's video catalog, or can make the interface focused solely on the video itself without distraction.
  • It's 2018 and streaming shouldn't be complicated. Unfortunately, despite accessing Vimeo from many locations (home computer, office, mobile, client's offices) Vimeo has continued to prove its total incompetence. I'm not sure if this is a hosting problem with Vimeo servers or if they just hate the few cities I've lived in. Video streaming can be easy with Vimeo, but I would never ever call it consistent. In most cases, when presented with a video link not related to work, I'll try to find the video elsewhere.
  • Because I haven't used Vimeo's revision system for close to 8 months at the time of this writing, Vimeo might have made changes, so keep that in mind. Vimeo is completely outmatched by similar client feedback applications like Wipster and Frame.io. After using other services, I've completely sworn off Vimeo. I don't think it's viable any longer because giving clients the ability to leave frame-by-frame feedback is far superior to the old method of simply sending a link. Furthermore, I believe Vimeo either owns Wipster or deeply collaborates, but Wipster is fairly unreliable as well. It's as if everything Vimeo touches burns to the ground.
  • Vimeo has also found a way to mess up playlists and video collections. YouTube makes it easy for adding videos to specific playlists, but Vimeo includes collections and albums, which to this day I'm still unsure why I would pick one over the other. Adding videos to these features is flustering rather than helpful. We'd learn the system but because of privacy settings for some videos, a few videos would show up, while others wouldn't. Even after testing this in the office, we'd still have a multitude of issues when clients would return confused emails.
Read Chris Hecox's full review
John Manuele | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 13, 2018

Great video player

Pros and Cons

• Nice mobile app, easy to use and available on both iTunes and the Android store
  • Easy to upload and manage videos. Videos upload quickly, and I have never had errors or incomplete videos to playback.
  • Good video quality. I have never experienced any playback issues, or lower quality compression issues when watching videos at a later time.
  • Some of the sharing options are messy. Vimeo will say I can't share externally, but in settings there is a way to create a private link. Just a little clunky and can be confusing at times.
  • Sometimes takes a little while for videos to properly encode. Even though it has said the video has uploaded, it has sometimes taken another 5-10 minutes before the video is viewable.
Read John Manuele's full review
Jon Ackerman | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 25, 2017

Vimeo Pro: Watch your video content in the most elegant platform available!

Pros and Cons

• Easy to embed customized video player into website
  • Includes a review page option that allows departments or clients to add notes or requested changes.
  • Gives in-depth stats at the push of a button. You can see when the fall off rates of viewers occurs.
  • Ability to stream different bit rates and adjust to viewer experience.
  • Video review doesn't have the ability to track changes when the video file changes or is updated to a new version. This causes an issue if there are multiple versions of the same video.
  • I think a downside to Vimeo, as a service, is that they do not have the widespread user base of YouTube. If you focus on embedding videos or videos on a webpage, Facebook, etc, then this won't be an issue. If you are trying to be discovered or get organic expansion of your brand, YouTube is the king.
Read Jon Ackerman's full review

Lead generation (16)
Video personalization (25)
eCommerce (8)
6.0
Support for advertisements (9)
Video SEO (18)
Integration to Marketing Automation (14)
Integration to Salesforce.com (5)
5.3
Integration to Marketo (5)
5.8
Integration to HubSpot (5)
6.2
Integration to Eloqua (3)
5.9
Integration to LMS (6)
Video access controls (29)
9.2
External video (26)
Player customization (25)
Embedded videos (30)
9.6
Video quality / Bandwidth controls (28)
Mobile compatibility (30)
A/B testing (7)
6.6
Streaming quality reports (10)
Per viewer tracking (17)
Per video tracking (22)
Video analytics dashboard (20)
On-Demand video (18)
Live streaming (10)
Impact of streaming on network (17)
Video upload & format support (27)
Video library / File management (25)
Video portal (17)
Audience polling (3)
5.2
Audience Q&A / Live chat (4)
6.6
Video comments (21)

About Vimeo

Vimeo provides tools for creators to host, share and sell videos, as well as video solutions to businesses for their internal communications and marketing needs.

For enterprises:

• Live video: High-quality streaming with features like polls, Q&A, and audience chat to keep viewers engaged wherever they are.

• Branded private portal: Centralize organizations’ live and on-demand videos with Showcase, a secure viewing destination for mobile and desktop.

• Enterprise-level security and privacy: Easily control who sees which videos with single sign-on (SSO), role-based access and more.

• Advanced analytics: Track audience engagement with location analytics, engagement graphs, and user-level stats.

• Dedicated support and services: Onboarding services and dedicated account management, plus access to Vimeo’s live production services and training.