We also use it to in IT to create network diagrams, data and work flows.
Products that are considered exceptional by their customers based on a variety of criteria win TrustRadius awards. Learn more about the types of TrustRadius awards to make the best purchase decision. More about TrustRadius Awards
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Microsoft Visio, and make your voice heard!
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
- Tech Details
|Deployment Types||Software as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based|
- There are a lot of templates that are built into the shipping version but there are also a lot more available online.
- Easy to export into a PDF or other type of document.
- There are a lot of various icons that you can use instead of just the simple flow-chart look.
- Connecting/wiring the different blocks is not intuitive and can be frustrating.
- The connections between blocks are auto-routed and it's really difficult to change them to look the way you want.
- Searching for all the various icons is not readily available at all times. It seems like it's grouped by which project type you choose.
- Our customers have really enjoyed the system documentation that we have created using Visio.
- Being able to share it across development groups has been good because it simplifies teaching a new software project.
- If we didn't already have it included with our Office package, we would probably look for an alternative due to the difficulties of using it if you aren't a power user.
- Adding new states or icons
- Exporting to PDF
- Integrating with other Office products
- Connecting states in a diagram the way you want
- Starting from scratch
- Using a mixture of icons/graphics from various templates
- Process flows
- Business analysis
- Project planning
- Easier to develop multi department flows, when you're outlining the flow, currently if you need to shift where swimlanes are located it completely alters your diagram (when boxes are connected with arrows) and you have to basically restart it.
- This is the most nit picky thing ever, BUT, while working through a process flow if you realize you need to change the basic standard flow shapes to another shape you have to go back and redo the whole thing. If there was a way to change the shape by right clicking on the box instead to instant switch instead of copy/paste/realign/reconnect to switch out the shape I would personally be forever grateful. I once did a workflow in all start/end process circles, so dumb, but I had to go back through and rewrite the whole thing into the process boxes. It was a super large workflow. It was such a pain in the ass.
- I didn't realize that Visio could be used for Gantt charts and project management until this review. To make those features more user-friendly or as a separate tab would allow users to track business process flows AND if kicking off a project - link the project timeline to certain steps.
Project management, business documentation, process flows. Great for kick off meetings to document customer expectations or technical projects to pinpoint integration points/sub processes.
- Return on investments due to identifying savings or gaps while documenting steps and servers needed in process flows.
- Increased resource capacity, easy to see where we can change a manual process into an automated one while documenting processes.
- Team planning and project kick off meetings, great visual to use while documenting the process our operations customers need our team to accomplish.
- Kickoff meetings for projects, great to document customer expectations of how they would like us to develop their process with our technology.
- Current and future state project documentation made easy with organized diagrams.
- I've even used Visio to clean up a Microsoft word smarart diagram my husband created for his employees, he's a chef. He was so happy to see all the processes and sub processes clearly outlined for his staff to follow for the state food safety requirements.
- My team only has one use for Microsoft Visio - process flows. After reading questions in this review I'm excited to explore other capabilities in Visio. I was not aware of them before this review.
- Project management
- Project timelines
- Don't know
- Super easy to quickly throw together business workflows to understand process operations.
- Easy to separate lines of business and teams with swimlanes
- Great for producing step by step training material for new employees for process operations.
- Formatting can be frustrating at times moving around the process flow.