Vmware Fusion is a virtual user session software built to run Windows applications on Macintosh to run any Windows applications.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/lh/9G/VWQOVMPMB8MO.PNGVMware Fusion - The go to Mac virtualization applicationVMware Fusion is the preferred workstation virtualization application for Mac users. It allows users to virtualize a multitude of operating systems on their workstation. We have used Fusion to virtualize firewalls, test systems for development and running OS specific applications that are unavailable on Macs.,Managing workstation-specific virtualization for Mac. Host/Guest resource management. Feature and patch releases are added several times a year to make sure Fusion maintains its leadership role,With OSX - 10.14.1 and the latest version of Fusion - 11.0.2 the user interface has taken a step back IMHO. I would like to see price decrease. Better remote host connection capabilities - remote server connections are available but connections are spotty.,8,Positive - OS virtualization for the Mac workstation Positive - better OS resource management than other platforms - keeping users more productive,Parallels Desktop and Oracle VM VirtualBox,Parallels Desktop, Oracle VM VirtualBox, VMware Workstation, VMware ESXi,12,,Security assessment of operating systems and appliances. Security engineering of system configurations. Secure development and testing of software.,Users can leverage VMware Fusion to connect remotely to virtual systems hosted in ESXi clusters. This application doesn't contain much where it can be used innovatively.,VMware fusion is a straightforward application used to virtualize systems on OSX and doesn't really have many other ways to use the application. A Mac could be set up to use VMware Fusion as a central virtual server but with the availability of ESXi this is not cost effective unless a fully segmented architecture is desired.,10,No,Product Features Product Usability Product Reputation Prior Experience with the Product,There is nothing I would change. I tried all software that is similar to VMware Fusion and if I were to do it again, I would try all options and assess functionality, features, etc in the same way.,Implemented in-house,No,Change management was minimal,I did not encounter any issues.,10,8,No,The times I contacted VMware for Fusion support my issues were resolved with identification of the issue and training on how to work around my issue or notification of a patch.,Install of Operating systems to create virtual machines. Deployment of virtual system/appliance templates (OVA, etc.). With the exception of 1 OS - VMWare tools are easy to install, manipulate, and leverage for full system unity.,Some systems require manipulation of the virtual config files to make changes or optimize the system - this is not difficult for me but may be for others.,No,10VMware Fusion is the best virtualization product for us as a VMware shop.We use VMware Fusion for end-user Windows desktops for our IT department. We've also used VMware Fusion for our server development and testing. I love the fact that you can easily isolate a test bed for development. Using Fusion for running Windows clients on end-users' laptops gives us a way to access locally installed applications that may not be available when the network is unavailable.,VMware Fusion provides an excellent platform for running Microsoft Windows on a Mac. VMware Fusion provides a way for our dev/ops team to run isolated servers and applications. VMware Fusion is also very intuitive for our users. VMware Fusion has the ability to open apps from the Mac desktop.,Installation could be easier. Pricing is a little higher compared to other virtualization platforms. Need the ability to covert VM to other platforms such as Hyper-V and others. Need better ability for nested VMs.,10,Saves money by not running your development servers on server hardware Allow end users to only have one client device instead of two Works well when migrating VMs into production.,Parallels Desktop and Oracle VM VirtualBox,vSphere with Operations Management (VSOM), Cohesity, Reduxio,10,,Running windows on our Mac devices Ability to run windows applications from OSX platform,We've been able to free up system admins time by allowing users to build VMs on their own.,Hope to have dev/ops move from local app dev to production,10,No,Product Features Product Usability,I wouldn't change anything in the eval process,No,10,No,Never had to call for support on this product.VMware Fusion is a great choice for IT prosI use VMware Fusion primarily for my own use. My organization does not have many Macs deployed, but for my work it makes the most sense and gives me the best productivity. However, there are times when Windows software must be used, such as managing Active Directory or creating diagrams with Visio. VMware Fusion gives me the ability to run this handful of apps in a Windows VM, which is more convenient than having a second machine. It also works well for testing new OS deployment scripts and running Linux-based applications.,Lightweight desktop hypervisor. Less invasive into the system than the main competitor. Good performance. I don't notice VMs being any slower than the native OS. Conveniently integrates with VMware ESXi servers. Good for working with standalone servers.,Not as tightly integrated with the host filesystem as competitors. Creates the occasional challenge if you want to open a file from someplace outside your Desktop, Documents or Downloads folders. Video performance is fine for business apps, but doesn't seem to cut it for demanding video applications. USB drivers are sometimes flaky with Windows VMs and don't work as well as one could hope.,8,Fusion allows those who are most productive with Apple products to maximize their productivity without giving up the handful of Windows applications they may need. Fusion provides a platform that makes testing OS deployments quick and easy to test repeatedly, saving hours of waiting.,Parallels Desktop,Slack, Jabber, EvernoteVirtualization for Macs!VMWare Fusion allows Apple users to run a Windows or Linux operating system inside a virtual machine on their Macintosh. As a paid software it is much more stable than Virtualbox in my experience. Fusion is very easy to set up and configure as all VMWare products because VMWare makes their software for the end user.,Allows users to run Windows only applications on their Mac without switching devices. Fusion is excellent for Windows image creation, and works exceptionally well on the Mac environment. Assists a Mac user to virtualize Windows apps. Excellent for installing Linux distros for penetration testing.,Windows 10 setup could be slightly more user-friendly Price could be cheaper Some testing a VMWare on different Mac hardware configurations, because I have had issues with Fusion being sluggish at times.,10,Vmware Fusion was a worthwhile investment for the Mac users as it allowed them to perform work using Windows applications Myself not being a regular Mac user was able to build Windows images from a loaner machine I believe that the ROI was made in a short time, because before Fusion we were using Virtualbox and it never worked right on Macs,,Concur Expense, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Azure, Ivanti Endpoint Manager (formerly LANDESK Management Suite), ServiceNow, Evernote, Avaya, Cisco ASA, Cisco Catalyst, Microsoft Office 365Running Windows on A MacAs Mac users it is nice to be able to test landing pages and websites on Internet Explorer. It also enables running a few programs that do not offer Mac versions.,Testing different operating systems versions Running Windows on a Mac Running Internet Explorer on a Mac,It works great,8,Saved man hours,
VMware Fusion

VMware Fusion Reviews

VMware Fusion
Filter 50 vetted VMware Fusion reviews and ratings
Alex Waitkus, CISSP-ISSAP, OSCP profile photo
December 10, 2018

Review: "VMware Fusion - The go to Mac virtualization application"

• Managing workstation-specific virtualization for Mac.
  • Host/Guest resource management.
  • Feature and patch releases are added several times a year to make sure Fusion maintains its leadership role
  • With OSX - 10.14.1 and the latest version of Fusion - 11.0.2 the user interface has taken a step back IMHO.
  • I would like to see price decrease.
  • Better remote host connection capabilities - remote server connections are available but connections are spotty.
VM Fusion is the best virtualization platform for Macs. It is suited for any implementation for workstation virtualization.
Read Alex Waitkus, CISSP-ISSAP, OSCP's full review
Kurt Pritchett profile photo
August 03, 2018

Review: "VMware Fusion is the best virtualization product for us as a VMware shop."

• VMware Fusion provides an excellent platform for running Microsoft Windows on a Mac.
  • VMware Fusion provides a way for our dev/ops team to run isolated servers and applications.
  • VMware Fusion is also very intuitive for our users.
  • VMware Fusion has the ability to open apps from the Mac desktop.
  • Installation could be easier.
  • Pricing is a little higher compared to other virtualization platforms.
  • Need the ability to covert VM to other platforms such as Hyper-V and others.
  • Need better ability for nested VMs.
VMware Fusion is well suited for testing environments. Developers can take their work home with them. Our development team loves the fact that they can access their test environment locally on their own desktops/laptops. I do not recommend that users run VMs running on fusion put these VMs into production. Fusion snapshots are a great feature for application testing.
Read Kurt Pritchett's full review
September 07, 2018

Review: "VMware Fusion is a great choice for IT pros"

• Lightweight desktop hypervisor. Less invasive into the system than the main competitor.
  • Good performance. I don't notice VMs being any slower than the native OS.
  • Conveniently integrates with VMware ESXi servers. Good for working with standalone servers.
  • Not as tightly integrated with the host filesystem as competitors. Creates the occasional challenge if you want to open a file from someplace outside your Desktop, Documents or Downloads folders.
  • Video performance is fine for business apps, but doesn't seem to cut it for demanding video applications.
  • USB drivers are sometimes flaky with Windows VMs and don't work as well as one could hope.
If you work with VMware servers or need to work with multiple VMs and operating systems, Fusion is your go-to choice. If you really only need one Windows VM, I might not recommend Fusion, as competing products can work better for the single purpose. Fusion is better when you need flexibility or use many VMs for testing. VMware Fusion Pro also includes some very slick tools for testing network applications, such as limiting bandwidth and injecting packet loss into a VMs network connection.
Michael Timms profile photo
April 12, 2018

VMware Fusion Review: "Virtualization for Macs!"

• Allows users to run Windows only applications on their Mac without switching devices.
  • Fusion is excellent for Windows image creation, and works exceptionally well on the Mac environment.
  • Assists a Mac user to virtualize Windows apps.
  • Excellent for installing Linux distros for penetration testing.
  • Windows 10 setup could be slightly more user-friendly
  • Price could be cheaper
  • Some testing a VMWare on different Mac hardware configurations, because I have had issues with Fusion being sluggish at times.
VMWare Fusion is perfectly suited for an application developer because it allows the dev to create cross-platform applications across the entire spectrum of operating systems without changing devices. An example of where it is less appropriate would be an environment where users are not required or have no need, to use multiple operating systems.
Read Michael Timms's full review
December 18, 2017

VMware Fusion Review: "Running Windows on A Mac"

• Testing different operating systems versions
  • Running Windows on a Mac
  • Running Internet Explorer on a Mac
  • It works great
It is a great way to run various operating systems versions for testing on a single device.
Andrew Shannon profile photo
November 20, 2017

VMware Fusion Review: "Fusion, make any Mac even more effective!"

My previous employer used VMware fusion on our MacBooks which we needed to use because our customers also used MacBooks and we need them to test our software on Macs but those machines weren't compatible with our ERP software we used in the office which was Windows only, so the machines didn't get much use in our office until we discovered VMware Fusion where we could load Windows applications on MacOS, so they made the Macs much more functional at our office and because they are the regular machine for one of our users who preferred MacOS. If you have a Mac that isn't compatible with your software, worry no more because with VMware Fusion, there is no such thing as incompatibility anymore!!
  • VMware fusion lets you install Windows applications on MacOS computers.
  • VMware fusion lets you run fully in Windows if you want on a Mac computer, so if you are more comfortable with Windows, you can still get a Mac and slowly transition yourself to the MacOS if you want.
  • You no longer have to worry about incompatibilities with your Mac computer anymore if you have VMware Fusion.
  • It would be awesome to get VMware fusion preinstalled on every Mac!
  • It takes several minutes to startup VMware Fusion the first time you use it after a reboot.
  • Using Vmware fusion can slightly slow down your computer while you are using it.
VMware fusion is best suited for users who want a Mac computer but have to use programs that are only available to Windows computers. Fusion is not that great if you need to reboot often and don't have time to wait for it to start up after a reboot. Fusion is overall a great product and makes any Mac computer way more functional!
Read Andrew Shannon's full review
Zach Cooper profile photo
November 14, 2017

VMware Fusion Review: "Intuitive, Simple, and Quick!"

VMware Fusion is being used by Mac OS users in our Platform Operations department. VMware Fusion provides us with the ability to quickly spin up development or testing environments and easily migrate them to our vCenter virtual environment if needed. It also allows us to seamlessly integrate required applications that only run on Microsoft Windows into the Mac OS experience.
  • Integrates other operating systems seamlessly with Mac OS.
  • Can cause your system fans to come on at full power at times but that may just be part of running multiple operating systems at the same time.
Works great for anyone who needs to run additional operating systems while also running MacOS simultaneously. Great for easily standing up local testing or development environments. If you require Microsoft Windows it is more cost effective to run it virtually than to maintain separate hardware just for this purpose.
Read Zach Cooper's full review
Fatima Tipu profile photo
April 05, 2017

Review: "VMware Fusion is a legit tool for corporations."

IT uses VMware Fusion for a few different things.

Often, we use it to run Windows on our Macs and in my experience, and for the most part, it's been pretty smooth. We use our Windows machine to access different servers, our domain controllers for example. We also use VMWare Fusion to run Windows machines for testing, so that we are able to test IT changes (for example, something with group policy) before pushing them out.

We also use WMWare Fusion to take snapshots as a basis for our Windows image that we use on all of our Windows machines. Other users in the company use VMware Fusion to run a Windows machine on a Mac, as well, so that they can install and use different financial software. We also have developers that use it to run quality assurance testing.
  • Getting around the settings of VMware Fusion is very intuitive, I've never had trouble finding or tweaking a setting (hard disk increase for example).
  • Creating and restoring Snapshots is very easy and useful.
  • Installing and pulling in a previously created VM is very simple.
  • Running VMware Fusion in Unity on a Mac is not always reliable. Sometimes, launching a Windows app just does not work. Either it will not come up or will not run with the same settings I had I opened it in the original VM.
  • Continuing on Unity mode, it just doesn't feel as straight forward and simple as the rest of the program is.
  • Sometimes, after I have been using a Windows VM for a few months, VMware Fusion will say its messed up and ask me to try to repair it, and of course I can never get a successful repair, so I have to recreate the VM.
Snapshots are great, set up is easy, pulling in previous VMs is also very easy. For the most part, Windows VMs run well through VMWare Fusion on Macs, but I have personally run into issues where a VM will become corrupt and I can no longer use it. I haven't really seen this issue with users, as their VMs are simpler than mine. Also, sometimes Windows can run a little slowly through VMware Fusion.
Read Fatima Tipu's full review
May 16, 2017

VMware Fusion Review: "VMware Analysis"

It is being used by the entire organization. Generally we use Macs, so we use it for a Windows environment for programs that require that.
  • Resume virtual machine state
  • Create virtual machines
  • Flexibility
  • Requires a fair amount of RAM to run constantly - I had to upgrade to 16GB
Emulating Windows is all that I use it for, and it does that seamlessly. Obviously there are slightly different functionalities between operating systems, but it is very intuitive. The setup can be done by people that have never set up a virtual machine before quite easily. I think there was one coworker complaining about its lack of multi-screen functionality though.
April 10, 2017

User Review: "VMware Fusion-Best of both worlds!"

As a student and Mac user, there were times when I required different operating systems on my laptop. VMware Fusion resolved my problem and gave me the best of both worlds. With just a few clicks, I was able to run multiple operating systems on my laptop.

VMware Fusion also gave me a great virtualization environment. VMware Fusion's installation is straight forward. With its easy user interface and multiple features like capturing snapshots, changing the networks etc., made my work easy. Dealing with the disk partition or assigning the RAM to the new OS has always been a simple process. Ultimately, I was happy to be able to use my laptop and the virtual OS both at the same time rather than switching between two different laptops with two different OS.

• Running multiple OS with few clicks. For example, for a project I required windows and ubuntu OS. I was able to run both of them easily with VMware fusion.
  • Snapshots of OS. Easy recovery from snapshots. For example, I was doing my project in openstack kilo version but already did other things in juno version. So with the snapshot of juno version, I was all set with my previous work.
  • I have found the product perfect. Cannot find any flaws.
VMware fusion is mostly used by Mac users. Mac users can get Windows OS running instantly on their laptop with the help of VMware fusion. Vmware fusion is less appropriate if the Mac user is using "Yosemite" Mac OSX, as the product no longer runs on the older version of mac OSX.
Gabriel Duff profile photo
September 13, 2016

User Review: "Vmware Fusion From a Mac IT guy"

VMware fusion is used here mostly for testing environments or replicating a network that can be easily wiped out and rebuilt without issue. For many years it has been used for development testing of operating systems and applications in those operating systems. It is the go to app for virtualization and quick testing of anything needed.
  • Quickly creates virtual machines for testing.
  • Easily allows management of VMs even in other VMware products.
  • The user interface could use a little update, but mostly it works fine.
  • It would be nice to have the option of having network templates for commonly used setups to make testing easier.
  • Compression of virtual machines would be a nice option also, making them take up less of a footprint.
It is my preferred virtualization tool to use on Mac OS for constantly staying updated and supporting the latest operating systems. It's great for sand box testing of your own private networks and also supports net boot for building VMs off network servers.

It's less ideal for large scale setups of virtual machines for users in a large Mac user base. VDI setups are better for this.
Read Gabriel Duff's full review
November 03, 2016

VMware Fusion Review: "Fusion OS"

Our company runs on Macs for a variety of reasons - stability, speed and overall less issues. Most importantly, a new Mac seems to be a perk for any employee. Still, many Windows apps are needed and are very critical for day to day tasks - particularly access to legacy systems. We use VMware Fusion to allow easy and quick access to Windows.
  • Ease of opening Windows apps.
  • No need for rebooting. Loading a new os.
  • It's fast and like you're using a native Windows box directly on Mac hardware.
  • Installation of Windows.
  • More of a turn key solution for non tech savvy users.
  • Need for more compatibility.
Suited well for anyone using a Mac that needs regular access to Windows or Windows apps. I don't use other operating systems but assume it's a similar experience. Less suited if you pprimarily use Windows.

Screen sharing (1)
File transfer (10)
Secure remote access with Smart Card authentication (2)
4.0
Access to sleeping/powered-off computers (4)
6.1
Over-the-Internet remote session (3)
Initiate remote control from mobile (1)
Remote management of servers & workstations (5)
Remote Active Directory® management (5)
Centralized management dashboard (3)
Session record (2)
10.0
Annotations (2)
9.5
Monitoring and Alerts (4)
9.2
Multi-platform remote control (1)

About VMware Fusion