Running Windows on A Mac

December 19, 2017
As Mac users it is nice to be able to test landing pages and websites on Internet Explorer. It also enables running a few programs that do …

VMware Analysis

May 16, 2017
It is being used by the entire organization. Generally we use Macs, so we use it for a Windows environment for programs that require that.

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of VMware Fusion, and make your voice heard!

What is VMware Fusion?

Vmware Fusion is a virtual user session software built to run Windows applications on Macintosh to run any Windows applications.

4 people want pricing too

What is VMware Horizon?

VMware Horizon is desktop virtualization software, from VMware.

What is Amazon WorkSpaces (VDI)?

Amazon WorkSpaces is a managed, secure cloud desktop service. Amazon WorkSpaces removes the complexity in managing hardware inventory, OS versions and patches, and Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI),

VMware Fusion: Desktop Hypervisors for Mac

Software designed to give users the freedom to be more productive, agile and secure in a preferred environment. IT professionals, developers and businesses can use VMware Fusion desktop hypervisors for OS support, rock-solid stability and advanced features. With Fusion Player and Fusion Pro, run nearly any OS as VMs on Mac for development, testing, gaming or even simulating production clouds on local desktops.

VMware Fusion Video

VMware Fusion Technical Details

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 10.

The most common users of VMware Fusion are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees) and the Computer Software industry.

VMware Fusion is used in a multitude of development scenarios including spinning up Linux servers for early-stage development before the code is pushed to an internet-facing dev server for clients to see. It allows easy maintenance of different VM images to test different application environments easily and safely. It is also a great "lab rat" to test code against bleeding edge versions of PHP and popular web apps. Fusion is also used to run Windows-only business-related applications on the intel mac platform, thereby eliminating having to reboot or run maintain multiple physical hardware. While the Mac software library has grown, Windows counterparts from the same developer are often still better so Fusion helps eliminates this shortfall.
Jim Chandler | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use VMware Fusion on my Mac so that I can run business-related software that is only available on the PC. This allows me to run Windows-based software seamlessly on my Mac, which is a huge improvement over having to use two computers (one Mac, one PC) side-by-side on my desk or, worse yet while traveling.
Jonah Dempcy | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use VMWare Fusion to run disk images of Windows operating systems on a Mac, as well as running VMWare Fusion on a Debian Linux machine to run other Linux environments. The reason for this is so we can save a pristine climate configured perfectly for a project without risk of corrupting the environment by changing configuration variables on the host operating system.
Our company switched from PC based to Mac based back in 2012. For the most part, our applications are MAC OS. However, we have not found a suitable Mac version of our bookkeeping software, QuickBooks. We found the simplest and most elegant solution is to partition our computer and run the PC version of QuickBooks on the Mac. I'm quite satisfied with the combo and the recent upgrade to VMware 11 is FANTASTIC.
Stefan Semo | TrustRadius Reviewer
As a charter school management organization, we strive to provide the best educational tools to our students. As such, we have deployed Mac labs utilizing Apple iMac computers, which work great for almost all curriculum, except some STEM and liberal arts applications that are not available for Mac. The decision to go with VMware Fusion was an easy one after we evaluated the available options for virtualizing MS Windows on the iMacs in order to get compatibility with some of the Windows-only programs. Unlike the competition, the VMware Fusion upgrade and update process as new versions come out is much simpler and as easy as point and click. it is also cheaper and its performance is on par with all the other visualization desktop products. A great addition to anyone's toolkit.
VMware Fusion is being used as a virtual machine monitor to allow Mac users to test how things work on Windows machines. It is used mostly by developers and quality analysts, since most of them are using Mac, and the core business is web development, so we need to use VMware Fusion to test how things run on Window's browsers, like Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.
VMware Fusion is primarily used by clients who need to access Windows-specific applications on their Macs. In most organizations I manage, VMware is used as a last resort, when no Mac alternatives are available. Typically, VMware is used on a user-by-user basis, only those users that need to run a specific Windows program will have access to VMware, to reduce licensing costs. In addition, VMware Fusion is also used by myself personally to create multiple virtual machines across different OSs (Windows, Linux varieties, and macOS) for testing and experimentation purposes.
Alex Waitkus, CISSP-ISSAP, OSCP | TrustRadius Reviewer
VMware Fusion is the preferred workstation virtualization application for Mac users. It allows users to virtualize a multitude of operating systems on their workstation. We have used Fusion to virtualize firewalls, test systems for development and running OS specific applications that are unavailable on Macs.
I use VMware Fusion primarily for my own use. My organization does not have many Macs deployed, but for my work it makes the most sense and gives me the best productivity. However, there are times when Windows software must be used, such as managing Active Directory or creating diagrams with Visio. VMware Fusion gives me the ability to run this handful of apps in a Windows VM, which is more convenient than having a second machine. It also works well for testing new OS deployment scripts and running Linux-based applications.
Kurt Pritchett | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use VMware Fusion for end-user Windows desktops for our IT department. We've also used VMware Fusion for our server development and testing. I love the fact that you can easily isolate a test bed for development. Using Fusion for running Windows clients on end-users' laptops gives us a way to access locally installed applications that may not be available when the network is unavailable.
Michael Timms | TrustRadius Reviewer
VMWare Fusion allows Apple users to run a Windows or Linux operating system inside a virtual machine on their Macintosh. As a paid software it is much more stable than Virtualbox in my experience. Fusion is very easy to set up and configure as all VMWare products because VMWare makes their software for the end user.
Andrew Shannon | TrustRadius Reviewer
My previous employer used VMware fusion on our MacBooks which we needed to use because our customers also used MacBooks and we need them to test our software on Macs but those machines weren't compatible with our ERP software we used in the office which was Windows only, so the machines didn't get much use in our office until we discovered VMware Fusion where we could load Windows applications on MacOS, so they made the Macs much more functional at our office and because they are the regular machine for one of our users who preferred MacOS. If you have a Mac that isn't compatible with your software, worry no more because with VMware Fusion, there is no such thing as incompatibility anymore!!
Zach Cooper | TrustRadius Reviewer
VMware Fusion is being used by Mac OS users in our Platform Operations department. VMware Fusion provides us with the ability to quickly spin up development or testing environments and easily migrate them to our vCenter virtual environment if needed. It also allows us to seamlessly integrate required applications that only run on Microsoft Windows into the Mac OS experience.

As a student and Mac user, there were times when I required different operating systems on my laptop. VMware Fusion resolved my problem and gave me the best of both worlds. With just a few clicks, I was able to run multiple operating systems on my laptop.

VMware Fusion also gave me a great virtualization environment. VMware Fusion's installation is straight forward. With its easy user interface and multiple features like capturing snapshots, changing the networks etc., made my work easy. Dealing with the disk partition or assigning the RAM to the new OS has always been a simple process. Ultimately, I was happy to be able to use my laptop and the virtual OS both at the same time rather than switching between two different laptops with two different OS.

Fatima Tipu | TrustRadius Reviewer
IT uses VMware Fusion for a few different things.

Often, we use it to run Windows on our Macs and in my experience, and for the most part, it's been pretty smooth. We use our Windows machine to access different servers, our domain controllers for example. We also use VMWare Fusion to run Windows machines for testing, so that we are able to test IT changes (for example, something with group policy) before pushing them out.

We also use WMWare Fusion to take snapshots as a basis for our Windows image that we use on all of our Windows machines. Other users in the company use VMware Fusion to run a Windows machine on a Mac, as well, so that they can install and use different financial software. We also have developers that use it to run quality assurance testing.
November 03, 2016

Fusion OS

Our company runs on Macs for a variety of reasons - stability, speed and overall less issues. Most importantly, a new Mac seems to be a perk for any employee. Still, many Windows apps are needed and are very critical for day to day tasks - particularly access to legacy systems. We use VMware Fusion to allow easy and quick access to Windows.
Gabriel Duff | TrustRadius Reviewer
VMware fusion is used here mostly for testing environments or replicating a network that can be easily wiped out and rebuilt without issue. For many years it has been used for development testing of operating systems and applications in those operating systems. It is the go to app for virtualization and quick testing of anything needed.