VMware SD-WAN, by VeloCloud Reviews

April 21, 2020
Kenny McGarrity | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are in the process of deploying VeloCloud as a means of replacing MPLS circuits at each of our branch locations. Due to the way VeloCloud continuously evaluates the quality of our internet connections, it automatically picks the best internet connection to route our latency sensitive applications over. By deploying such an effective tool, are able to save tens of thousands of dollars per month by eliminating more expensive solutions.
  • VeloCloud is excellent at automatically choosing the best internet connection based on speed and quality.
  • It provides a web based interface allows all our connections to be managed from anywhere in the world.
  • Because VMware has a strong history in networking and is a name I can trust, we are able to confidently invest in their technology.
  • The learning curve of deploying VeloCloud is steep, so unless you're a networking expert, the initial setup might be over your head.
  • I think they may be able to improve their web interface to provide a better user interface.
  • I've experienced a couple of interesting bugs which have required reboots to resolve.
Using VeloCloud is best suited when you have multiple internet connections of a similar caliber. The reason for this is because VeloCloud's main purpose is to provide the best connection when using multiple internet circuits. If you don't, it's a waste of money. I also like it because our ISP supports VeloCloud, and they have a department to help us make changes.
There are still some glitches that need to be worked out. As an example, I rebooted a device at one of our branch locations and it just died. That should never have happened, and I've only seen this happen when a company needs to improve hardware on some of their lower-end models.
Read Kenny McGarrity's full review
November 08, 2019
pablo baylac | TrustRadius Reviewer
We resell this product and it's part of our portfolio.
I usually recommend it for low-budget companies that want to move to an SD-WAN network.
  • It's a plug and play SD-WAN.
  • Easy to manage.
  • Amount of tunnels that you can have.
  • WAN optimization.
  • Logistics.
Companies with a low budget looking to move into an SD-WAN network.
Its good.
Read pablo baylac's full review
September 23, 2019
We configure, deploy and manage multiple customers using the Velocloud solution. This device has hit the problem of cost on an MPLS circuit head-on, by providing the mechanism required to create secure transport between your sites.
  • Ease of setup: after unpacking the device, you can have your VC appliance up and running within minutes.
  • Now that VMWare owns the Velocloud solution, I believe that they will be able to invest in the product to say fresh and ahead of the competition.
  • The technical support is one of the best I have ever interacted with and continue to follow up until the issue is resolved.
  • They need to be a little clearer when it comes to licensing. And from the orchestrator, I should be able to see what licenses I currently have associated with every device and their expiration dates.
  • I feel even though a VM firewall can be added to a specific appliance, a full UTM firewall built within the solution would be great.
The Velocloud solution is best suited for customers who have a large number of sites that all connect back to a data center or the cloud (AWS, Azure, etc). Customers who have been paying a premium price for MPLS due to the security it provides. This also fits with customers who have locations that need to securely communicate with each other.
Because it does not have a true UTM firewall built-in.

VMware SD-WAN, by VeloCloud Scorecard Summary

What is VMware SD-WAN, by VeloCloud?

VMware SD-WAN by VeloCloud aims to deliver high-performance, reliable branch access to cloud services, private data centers, and SaaS-based enterprise applications.

VMware acquired VeloCloud in 2018.