Vultr - Does what it promises

July 07, 2021

Pre-defined machine images (6)

Service-level Agreement (SLA) uptime (5)

Operating system support (6)

Pre-configured templates (5)

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Vultr Bare Metal, and make your voice heard!

E3-1270v6

per month

Intel Atom

Coming Soon

Intel Scalable

Coming Soon

Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS)

What is Vultr Bare Metal?

Vultr in Matawan offers Bare Metal servers, providing full control with high performance single-tenant dedicated servers.

Vultr Bare Metal Technical Details

What is Vultr Bare Metal?

What is Vultr Bare Metal's best feature?

Reviewers rate Service-level Agreement (SLA) uptime and Pre-defined machine images highest, with a score of 9.3.

Who uses Vultr Bare Metal?

The most common users of Vultr Bare Metal are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees) and the Information Technology & Services industry.

Short review - Vultr is the best VPS provider in the world by far. 11/10 amazing. A++++. Bare Metal doesn't have an unlimited bandwidth option and runs on the expensive side (unlike their VPS products which are so reasonably priced, 10 of my friends have the $3.50 full web server deal. Incredible (1 core, 512 MB RAM) If the Bare Metal had an unlimited transfer, and better specs, it would be worth the price. However in VPS you will never find a company I have been using Vultr, and Vultr's products for longer than 3 years, but I figured since they won't let me review the cloud compute or the high-performance cloud computes, I am going to anyway, and take a year off of my "experience" according to the site, as I have only been using Bare Metal on one client account, and it's fairly the same. Vultr is by far the best VPS provider in the world, but because of the prices of dedicated servers, and Vultr's strict per core / per dollar rules, I can't say I would recommend a bare-metal server from them. Why? $120 is the STARTING price for bare metal, and we're talking about 4 cores and 8 threads. Anyone who uses dedicated servers knows that for that price you can get a fully managed server, and have the company do most of the heavy lifting. Or for the same price at many competitors like Hivelocity, Reliable site, OVH, Hetzner, you get 16 cores, 32 threads, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, etc. With Vultr you get 4 cores, 8 threads, 32 GB RAM, 2 x 240 SSD (yikes), and a "10 Gigabit connection". Now if there was ACTUALLY a full speed 10 Gbps connection attached to the bare metal servers, then the value would be incredible as 10 Gbps is usually a $300+ add-on to a server. Trust me, I've bought over 100 dedicated servers and 1000+ VPS machines. I still manage 30 VPS, 3 Dedicated Servers, and an entire basement of a building on Wall Street's actual servers. I know exactly what I am talking about. So let's assume the 10 Gbps is true, and when someone wants to download from your site, they actually DO get 600 MB/s and can download full-length DVDs in 2-3 seconds, you're still limited to 5 TB, which means you can burn through that very quickly if your server is being accessed by many people. Not even many. Let's say you have a file for users to download. If it is 1 GB you could have 5000 downloads. That's not TERRIBLE, but considering even the $800 Bare Metal only goes up to 10 TB, you really don't want to be serving files from it. And that's it for the bad news. Their OS management is 10/10. Their DNS is 10/10. The intuitiveness of the site is 10/10. The level of support received (remember they are unmanaged) I would say is 9/10. Their VPS tools are 10/10. They have tons of server locations, optional ipv6, optional ipv4, additional IPs, extended storage, the fastest DNS I have ever seen propagate, reverse, and primary DNS built-in. 30 Apps to choose from for beginners from WordPress to Drupal to a blank slate. You can choose from any possible configuration from $2.50 for the most basic (can still run a website though!) and goes all the way up to $1000. You get any flavor of Linux or over 40+ apps that can be preinstalled, as I said. The speed of all their servers in terms of CPU, RAM, and SSD, is top of the line, state of the art. I will never ever host a website without them unless it's free.
  • Speed
  • Precision
  • Accuracy
  • Ease
  • beginner
  • Price
  • Bandwidth
  • Tiers (more)
  • Remove redundancy. Why have 3 things with 1 CPU and 2 GB of RAM? Just let them pick intel or AMD at the end.
Bare Metal costs too much for what it is. $120 for 4 cores is 2010. It's 2022, $189 gets you a fully managed dedicated server with better specs. Plus no unlimited bandwidth option.
Mason Curry | TrustRadius Reviewer
We started using Vultr for small virtual machines for various tasks but have slowly moved all of our infrastructures over, especially now that bare metal offerings are becoming available at more locations. We have been able to almost completely avoid large cloud providers by switching everything to Vultr.
  • Powerful & reliable servers
  • Very diverse product offerings and locations
  • Awesome pricing
  • Constantly improving their offerings and services
  • Object & Block storage in more locations would be very helpful
  • There should not be a charge for reserved IPs in use
Vultr is very well suited for development workloads and workloads that may require a diverse group of locations. For production workloads, if the region you're looking to invest in has availability, it will be great. We're running both our development and production workloads on Vultr currently. Unfortunately for us, we chose one of their least available locations as a home base which has made it very challenging to expand within the region.

Update to review:
Availability was an issue until the surprise announcement of the new Optimized Compute. It appears now that they were not restocking the hardware we were using as they intended to replace it.
Mike Niner | TrustRadius Reviewer
I discover Vultr in 2015 after using some resources from DigitalOcean. Since that, Vultr is my main partner in deployment in several scenarios. For me, they are the best choice, over other options like DigitalOcean, Linode, whatever. Easy to manage, has strong support and their data centers are well distributed.
  • localisation of their data centers
  • easy control panel
  • affordable prices
  • maybe more options to work with some kind of CMS
Well suited in affordable prices, easy control panel and documentations
March 03, 2022

Good for Game Servers

Adam McKern | TrustRadius Reviewer
Using the server as a Game & Web Server, love the fact that it's a shared server and it never feels like your server is being impacted by other servers or yours is impacting theirs. Love that the server farm is local and provides low latency connections.
  • low latency
  • local
  • easy to deploy
  • Price
Complete flexibly with lots of OS options. Running a full version of Server 2012, and all related apps and services are working as expected. Love the option for the core count, but hate the price I am paying for it. It is much easier to manage compared to AWS EC2 that I was running prior.
Humphrey Mpairwe | TrustRadius Reviewer
Vultr Servers are steadily reliable, and super-fast, I have used them for 2 years now, and I have no regrets, I have tried other providers, but they'll never offer the same support as Vultr in case things don't work out. I must say, these folks are the best in not just Bare Metal, but also the Cloud Compute Servers they offer.
  • Super Fast
  • Highly Reliable
  • Easy to Scale and Manage
  • Increase on the Offered Monthly Network Cap
It's good if you're into hosting fast framework web and mobile applications based on my experience. And comfortably the best since it offers affordable plans for all server types aside from easy scalability on the instances.
As our main product is an education platform, we need to host the website. The site being a heavyweight application, I can't use typical hosting. So we bought VPS from Vultr. Vultr is one of the best in the market according to our need because our platform is non-profit, so we can't afford big servers all month long, so we needed resizing facility. But Vultr didn't give us the flexibility to resize servers when the load increases. Soon we had to shift to another provider
  • Uptime
  • Hosting
  • Reasonable Pricing
  • Resizing
  • Dashboard
  • Customer support
If you are a large organization where you have a lot of traffics in your web app, Vultr Bare Metal is good for you. If your scenario is something like, you sometimes have high traffic, and sometimes low traffic, Azure might not be the best choice if you want to cut your cost.