When I Work Reviews

May 17, 2020
Jayelynn Willman | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Allows management to toggle between stores.
  • Very user-friendly.
  • Gives staff a platform to cover shifts without having to share their personal numbers with anyone.
  • You cannot view inactive employees on the app.
  • When pulling up the schedule on the app, it defaults to Tuesday when the screen is done loading.
  • If you pull up an individual's schedule it removes your default settings. For example, I have mine set to just my store, but if I need to see an employee's schedule it resets those defaults. You're always looking at the last schedule you pulled up.
Read Jayelynn Willman's full review
ANNA CARABALLO | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Alerting staff to their schedules
  • Allowing for additional details to be added to shifts
  • Organizing the schedules in a way that makes everything a bit more expedited, saving time and therefore money
  • There are honestly no areas for improvement that we have found. They do a great job!
Read ANNA CARABALLO's full review
Amy Morgeson | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Being able to create shift templates and duplicate those is wonderful.
  • I can easily delete, move or edit a shift with just a few clicks.
  • I can see the schedule as a day, week or month and get a real sense of our coverage areas and needs.
  • I can easily get the count of hours for an employee and relay this directly to our accounts person to create our payroll.
  • When I Work is always looking for ways to improve and tweak issues, they will make changes accordingly, sometimes I'll find something new when I log in and it can be confusing for a moment but it doesn't take long to figure out the edit.
  • The program itself is easy to pick up, I do need to dedicate more time to fully utilizing all of the tools it offers, perhaps period webinars to show what I/customers might not be taking advantage of.
  • I really don't have a lot of negative feedback for the product. It's helped me in my daily job a great deal.
Read Amy Morgeson's full review
February 27, 2020
Carol Fittell | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Setting preferences and availability shows up in a clear, concise manner.
  • Shifts drag and drop easily, and the view can be filtered many different ways.
  • We schedule staff at multiple facilities and lets us track their hours all in one place.
  • I wish it was easier to rearrange the order of the staff in the scheduler view.
  • I wish it was easier to ensure you're dragging/dropping a shift to the right employee (alternately shaded rows would be a huge help!).
  • I wish the total shift hours across various locations ("schedules") would be tallied, and not just the current location/schedule for the employee.
Read Carol Fittell's full review
February 13, 2020
Talitha Rieken | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• On-demand customer service.
  • Updating the product to meet the demands of the customer.
  • We would love to see the functionality of more than one email address per profile.
  • With so many managers in our group and so many locations, we would like to have job sites alerts attached to the 'supervisor' security role for when team members pick up shifts. That way every manager doesn't get the alert for every job site.
Read Talitha Rieken's full review
Liz Ward | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• The chat feature is extremely helpful for communicating instantly to a large number of people.
  • When I Work has a nice dashboard that easily shows the last 5 days' labor costs.
  • Their customer support team is responsive.
  • The reporting is very limited unless you want to pay a lot for it.
Read Liz Ward's full review
March 09, 2020

Pros and Cons

• Scheduling is decent. It takes a long time to figure out, but once you have it down, it works.
  • Mobile app warns people of scheduled shift prevents missed shifts.
  • Time tracking is accurate and easy to interpret.
  • Customer service only available by chat or email. No phone- which is crazy, in my opinion. Slows down, getting things done.
  • Understanding their charges is a pain. I still don't know what I am paying for.
  • If you are being overcharged, they don't care; they keep you on billing for something in a group.

Pros and Cons

• When I Work allowed me to color-code each employee's schedule.
  • When I Work allowed me to show who was "off" during what time of day. This was essential for morale, as our event included 16-18 hour days, and I wanted to show that everyone had down time each day.
  • For my purposes, I found the program easy to use and can't think of anything I would change.

Pros and Cons

• Allows for better management of labor
  • Reduces time spent on scheduling/staff management
  • Improves staff communication
  • When I Work has always provided excellent customer service.
  • Improved schedules for "print" - Color coded, multi-department
February 27, 2020

Pros and Cons

• Copying shifts to drag to other employees
  • Lots of color options to make it easy to see the difference in shifts
  • Templates
  • Making shifts longer and shorter by dragging them has always been buggy.
  • It would be cool if when I mark a scheduled person as out sick if there was a way to make, for example, all of their phone shifts go out to others on the team scheduled to something different.
February 22, 2020

Pros and Cons

• Able to have many different schedules on the site at the same time, so we can use it to manage many events at the same time/over a long period of time.
  • Both employer and employee can use the service and see what shifts a particular worker is booked to work.
  • The website is commonly slow.
  • We are forced to use several other services in addition to When I Work to be able to do all that we need to do. When I Work is not an all-inclusive service. We are not able to communicate to our workers through it, nor post information for them to be able to access, nor use it to track data (like certifications) over long periods of time.
February 08, 2020

Pros and Cons

• Mobile-friendly: our student staff loves the app and use it frequently to check their schedules.
  • Straight forward the learning curve is minimal for our student staff and they can figure out how to use When I Work with only a quick tutorial.
  • Setup is confusing and a little cumbersome.
  • Some components are confusing: for example, never really sure what the difference is between selecting a schedule and selecting a position
March 12, 2020

• Layout
  • Tracking
  • Custom reports
  • Lacking reports
  • Doesn't stay within right pay period
  • Sometimes slow
January 02, 2020
İhsan Akkarpuz | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Superb scheduling and arrangements as per employee and employer needs
  • Newly introduced mobile app with tons of features adding great value to the users
  • The product might be updated to be more precise and lean as the latest edition contains so many features that I thought some of them [were] duplicating each other.
Read İhsan Akkarpuz's full review
November 19, 2019

Pros and Cons

• GPS track destination clock-in or out.
  • Messaging with the scheduler.
  • Time off requests.
  • Easy tracking of previously logged hours.
  • GPS tracking is not always accurate.
  • Occasional app malfunction.
  • Requesting time off can be unclear at times.
January 18, 2018
AK Cyrway | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Easy to read interface and display
  • Ability to print to PDF for physical reports and record keeping
  • Employee shift management
  • While mouseovers are present, the menu could be designed better
  • Popups in the free version covers up important features when viewed on smaller resolution monitors
  • No direct print feature
Read AK Cyrway's full review
December 13, 2017
Nick Stanley | TrustRadius Reviewer

• Electronic Scheduling and communications with employees about shifts
  • Accurate Timekeeping
  • Support really needs improvement. They don't take phone calls!
  • They don't always think of every customer when making changes to the system, and the hierarchy in the system is pretty hardcoded, there's no way to build your own on who reports to who or a way for an assistant manager to cover for the manager.
Read Nick Stanley's full review
October 24, 2017
James Mcbride | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Great at allowing us to see at a glance who is working and what shift.
  • Allows us to track the PTO requests.
  • Allows us to customize based on the person and shift.
  • Can we cumbersome when first setting it up.
  • When trying to change a shift that is stable and going to be the same every day for the future can be tricky setting it up.
  • Users/price.
Read James Mcbride's full review

What is When I Work?

When I Work in St.Paul, Minnesota offers their eponymous platform for time & attendance and workforce management, featuring employee self-service and the capability to broadcast and fill empty shifts in "less than 30 seconds," for small workforces and larger companies as well.

When I Work Technical Details