WordPress Reviews

Tiffany Thielepape | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 16, 2019

WordPress Review

Not used for business, mainly personal use. Chose for the following reasons: Free/open source, easy to use, and lots of resources for support.
  • Extremely flexible; can suit most website needs from blogs to small business.
  • Design, content, and functionality separated from each other. This allows for data portability (you can add content regardless of the design you are using, modify the design without changing your content, and add new features without affecting the other areas).
  • Countless themes to choose from/ability to create from scratch.
  • Still responsible for securing the site.
  • Does not come with a built-in drag and drop website builder.
  • Some basic knowledge of HTML and CSS is not required but makes things a lot easier; users without it may have a longer learning curve.
Wordpress is a good choice if you want to:
  • Make a professional business website without spending a lot of money.
  • You can easily follow simple tutorials to learn the basics.
  • You want to make a blog, portfolio, or a personal website and use it to make money online.
You might want to look at other options if:
  • You just want to run a blog and have no plans to make money or use any third-party services.
  • You are fine with limited features as far as you never have to write code, make backups, or worry about updates.
  • You just want a small website, and you are not worried about growing your business online or using the website to make more sales.
Read Tiffany Thielepape's full review
Tim Colling | TrustRadius Reviewer

WordPress - The world's most popular content management system

Our firm uses WordPress for all new websites that it builds for clients. It provides a stable, well-known and accepted foundation for all websites that our clients employ. It is so well-accepted as an industry standard for website construction that clients never question the choice and in fact most of the time they expect us to use it.
  • It is stable and reliable.
  • It is so widely-accepted that there are many, many many resources available for working with it, many of them at little or no cost.
  • It saves us countless hours of development that we otherwise would have to do ourselves.
  • WordPress has become caught up in the trend toward "drag n drop" page builders with the advent of the new "Gutenberg" block-based editor, despite the fact that many in the WordPress community don't want it and resent the manner in which it has been forced upon them.
WordPress is very well suited to building websites of almost any type for small and medium sized businesses, including:
  • Service providers
  • Sellers of merchandise (i.e., "ecommerce" companies)
  • Data collection such as polling
  • Online education and training
  • Family and personal websites
Read Tim Colling's full review
Lauren Golden | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 11, 2018

WordPress is the solid choice for building your online presence

I use WordPress.org to run my website, both through a theme installed on WordPress and by integrating with my use of ClickFunnels using the ClickFunnels plugin for WordPress. The ability to fully customize my online presence is important to me and how I present my brand online. Being a virtual business selling digital products, it's essential to have software I can trust.
  • The ease of adding plugins to customize the site and integrate it with other platforms is excellent
  • Adding new pages and posts is incredibly simple, and with Yoast it's easy to prioritize SEO
  • Changing themes is also easy to do to keep things looking fresh
  • I've had issues finding technical support, whether it's wordpress related or dealing with a particular theme
  • It would be great to have a visual builder to toggle back and forth between in wordpress without adding a plugin
I believe WordPress is the best option for websites. It is definitely not the most user-friendly, I believe there is a learning curve that less customizable sites like Wix and SquareSpace don't have, however I think it's worth it for the control you have over your online presence.
Read Lauren Golden's full review
Brandon Mand | TrustRadius Reviewer

Beginner's Guide to WordPress

WordPress is being used to manage the State College of Florida Foundation website. The Foundation started using WordPress about 3 years ago when a new website was developed. The website allows the Foundation to provide constant communication to potential students and donors.
  • From a user perspective, WordPress is pretty user friendly and intuitive. I had no website experience before using WordPress and was able to quickly teach myself how to use WordPress.
  • I am impressed with the amount of customization WordPress provides and the options you have to make your website unique.
  • My organization pays for WP Live support and I find them to be extremely courteous and helpful.
  • The main issue I have run into is the theme my organization chose is no longer being updated, so it has decreased the functionality of the website in general. Being new to website management, I had no idea this was a possibility, so conveying that more clearly would have been helpful for me.
  • At times, there is a significant delay between when I make changes on the back end and when those changes take effect on the front end of the site, so reducing that lag time would be great.
I think WordPress is well suited for organizations who update their website frequently. I have found it easy to make changes and they typically do not take much time to process. I also think it is a good option for someone who has limited website management experience since the interface is so user friendly.
Read Brandon Mand's full review
Floyd Finch | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 09, 2018

WordPress From a Low-Tech Small Business Perspective

I initially started using WordPress as a hobbyist, but as my restoration business grew and my blog began to get more popular it became a way to generate revenue through affiliate advertising. It is also essential for advertising the vapor blasting & ultrasonic cleaning services that I offer to motorcycle restoration enthusiasts. The biggest reason for choosing WordPress is the ease of use & customization. Being able to purchase and use different themes for appearances without have to do any coding is a big plus. If you still can't get the exact appearance and features you want from a prefab theme there are literally thousands of resources to guide you in customizing your website. There is a huge community of users and terrific support to help you make the most of it. Most web-hosting companies also offer basic 1-click WordPress installation, making life really easy for the beginner. WordPress is easy for the beginner but can be customized to extreme levels by an advanced user.
  • Ease of installation.
  • Making regular posts is quick & trouble free.
  • Huge number of themes, apps, and plugins easily available for WordPress.
  • Finding the best options for your use can be time-consuming due to the huge number of choices.
  • Not all plugins and themes play well with each other.
WordPress is my first recommendation for any small business wishing to create a good-looking functional website that works well. If you are a hobbyist, or a professional blogger or photographer, it's the best platform to grow on. My own website (motopsyco.com) uses a lot of images and WordPress has a good image management interface. If you are a photographer or designer there are literally thousands portfolio themes to choose from to best show off your work.
Read Floyd Finch's full review
Adam Montgomery | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 08, 2018

Great for Small Business

This is used for the main organization's website. It helps us host and update the website on our own without getting IT involved. It also hosts our blog for us. It can help us schedule posts and save drafts so we can work on something together as a team without posting first.
  • It has a lot of blog options.
  • The pricing is very fair, not too expensive..
  • Its simple and user friendly.
  • You don't have to be a computer expert to use this.
  • I wish they had more all-inclusive features like an email campaign program or a photo editing program.
  • There is no drag and drop tool.
  • I wish there was a place I could call for tech support.
Word Press is great for a small organization or business that wants to build and run their own website without too many complications. Its a simple program. Larger companies might want to use something else that can be more customized.
Read Adam Montgomery's full review
Jay Cornelius | TrustRadius Reviewer

Wordpress Quote Request Solutions

We use Wordpress to manage our internal and external product line. The front end in conjunction with plugins, offer our clients quote request options. The back-end offers sales staff product information not visible on the front-end.
  • User management with controlled access privileges.
  • Simple SEO management.
  • Simple content WYSIWYG management.
  • Custom field with formulas, as standard feature would be very handy.
  • Reporting similar to Access and Crystal reports would be good.
  • Backup of sites as standard vs plugin features.
Wordpress is generally WYSIWYG and user friendly and this means users with very little technical skill required. If however regular updates are required because of multiple plugins being used, the process can be beyond the basic skills limitations.
Read Jay Cornelius's full review
Brock Ross | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 07, 2018

Wordpress - The only limit is your desire to learn and grow

Wordpress is our primary platform for our online courses (including hundreds of videos, community interactions between teachers and students, a paid membership system, and more), our main site (consisting of blog, live event scheduling, and more), our shop (selling a sizable selection of physical goods), and a handful of other offerings.
  • Versatility - If you're comfortable learning some computer code, the sky is essentially the limit on what you can do with Wordpress via the thousands of available plugins.
  • Reliability - Wordpress has proven to be more stable and reliable than other services we've used.
  • Huge community for support - because of its renown and popularity, the Wordpress community is huge, and you can consequently find ideas and support among peers very easily.
  • User-friendliness - As is usually the case, there is an inverse relationship between a software's power/robustness, and its ease of use. Making a functioning site beyond a basic template will require a learning curve, especially as more plugins are introduced to the process.
  • It's easy to make things ugly - Because Wordpress offers so much freedom of design and function, you have all the power in your hands to make an ugly, dysfunctional site--other services we use have a paradigm against this, and restrict design freedom to prevent you from making something "ugly."
  • Back-end interface feels dated and cluttered - The back end of Wordpress could use a little streamlining and updating. Controls and menus feel like they haven't had a face lift in a few years.
I would say if you're hoping to build a unique, multi-functional, powerful site--and you're beyond the level of a basic storefront or blog you could make with Wix or similar, but don't have the budget/size to justify a professionally-built custom site--Wordpress is an excellent option. You'll be limited only by your willingness to research the best plugins and learn to implement them. That being said, if you are running a smaller/simpler operation and don't need such a robust online platform, your resources may not be well-spent learning the ins and outs of Wordpress.
Read Brock Ross's full review
Andrew Murphy | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 07, 2018

WordPress is great for nonprofit CMS

We use WordPress as our CMS for fundraising and event sales, blog writing, and sponsor recognition. Only the marketing department uses the site, but it serves its purpose as a landing page and source of event information!
  • Open-source! Being free is important for a non-profit.
  • Modular! We can create as much custom content as possible through modules and plugins
  • Well documented! If I have a problem, I'm not usually the only one who has experienced it and can find endless resources online about how to solve it.
  • Can be easy to overload, and slow down if you aren't careful.
  • Is difficult to navigate if you don't know PHP.
  • Usually requires some paid plugins to execute your ideal site. Luckily there is lots of competition!
Well suited: E-commerce, non-profit management, full site builds

Not well suited: multi language sites, app based sites, heavy custom Javascript implementations
Read Andrew Murphy's full review
Patricia Thomas | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 05, 2018

Create web pages professionally and in a short time from any device.

In our company we use WordPress to keep all our customers up to date through our website. As the company deals with tourism then WordPress is extremely ideal for displaying packages and excursions, as well as having contact forms and subscriptions. WordPress saves us a lot of programming time and we focus on design.
  • It is an excellent content manager, you can do almost anything you want, web pages of all kinds of topics.
  • The amount of topics that can be found on the web is incredible. There are many free themes of great quality and with very accessible prices.
  • It is very easy to install and use. In addition you can expand its original functionality by installing plugins.
  • If you want an original website, you should choose the topics you want to install carefully, since you run the risk of having a website very similar to another one.
  • Customizing WordPress at your whim is a bit difficult and you must have a lot of knowledge of web programming.
  • It is risky to install plugins or cracked themes, as they can cause serious security failures.
WordPress is ideal for informative pages, I do not see a better option than that, without the need to program as many lines of code. In this sense, WordPress has the entire structure made just for you to focus on the design and personalization of the site. That is why in my company we use it to keep our website up to date.
Read Patricia Thomas's full review
December 17, 2018

Wordpress is great for most website demands

It's been used to create websites that requires the users to be able to easily edit and update information on their pages. It is used by the organization as well as the organization supports other clients using the Wordpress platform. Among different open source content management systems available in the internet, Wordpress is highly user-friendly and easy to set up which helps save time in operations and maintenance of the website.
  • Easy to set up and configure
  • Easy to edit, update, delete, content on the website
  • Easy to integrate with plugins and themes
  • Wordpress just released a new version and the editing experience has changed quite a bit from the previous version. While it is already an improvement, an overview of the interface with the new installation would be helpful.
The content management part of the Wordpress is pretty robust. Based on the complexity of the themes and plugins used on the site, WordPress allows users to create a variety of websites from just a simple personal blog to a full-fledged e-commerce website. It suits most common user needs, but the themes are big part of the platform, and while there is no limit to the complexity, WordPress isn't a tool if one is looking for developing web applications.
December 18, 2018

Get Your Students Blogging Like a Professional With Wordpress

I use WordPress in my school district to house everything regarding professional development and educational technology. Teachers access our WordPress site, designed more like an elaborate blog, to access: weekly tech tips, a booking calendar to schedule me for trainings or to work with their class, to see highlights of other teachers and what they are doing, to see what apps/programs we subscribe to or pay for in district, and to access lesson plans and ideas that we share. I update this site weekly and push out updates/tips via Gmail that invite my staff and teachers to check the site. This has been a nice way for our teachers to stay informed, learn some tech tips, and share what everyone is doing.
  • Blog writing is simple and effective and allows you to embed images and YouTube videos.
  • Professional look and feel with an easy to understand navigation.
  • Syncs with other domain sites like GoDaddy, etc.
  • More features or ability to customize more. A lot is dictated my the theme with minimal editing allowed, at least for free versions.
  • Ability to embed other apps. Other than YouTube, teachers utilize apps such as Padlet, polleverywhere, etc. Although these have embed codes, this feature doesn't work with WordPress.
Blogging. This is top notch with WordPress. It is very simple to write posts, schedule them, and allow the posts to be featured on your main page. So if you want more of a blog, WordPress does an excellent job. I also like the portfolio templates. Templates, in general, are extremely useful when working with students who don't have the time to learn the app in depth for school assignments. Education is always looking for means to digitize portfolios, allow students to publish work, keep track of the best assignments, and hold essays, etc. My only scenario where WordPress is less appropriate is in full website building or with minimal time. I think WordPress takes more time to master than most website builders although it does offer more professionally, especially with the data.
Stephen Shepard | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 03, 2018

Best CMS Platform

WordPress is used by my business to establish a web presence and publish content easily and affordably
  • Wordpress is fast
  • Wordpress is easy to use and setup
  • Wordpress is cost-effective
  • Security
Wordpress is well-suited for any small to mid-size business
Read Stephen Shepard's full review
Benjamin Hale | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 18, 2018

Come for the Price, Stay for the Community

We use WordPress to create and maintain websites for multiple universities across the country. These websites are used to capture prospective students contact information and inform them about our education programs. We also use WordPress for some of our internal websites. This is our main source for any public facing, robust website we created for ourselves or our school partners.
  • WordPress is quick to implement and have up and running. The combination of the quick installation to the user-friendly interface of the back end, makes WordPress a great tool for experts and novices alike.
  • There is a huge community of developers and experts to provide customization and tips for any website. A quick Google search will find numerous solutions to most WordPress and website issues that may arise.
  • Plugins everywhere! This is great because there are options for plugins. Some other CMS solutions offer one or two options for different features, but WordPress has multiple options and allows you to find free and more premium options.
  • Because it is built using free and open source platforms, there are no additional software or specialty hardware costs needed to get a website up and running. Just a basic website package will do.
  • Security can be an issue, because you are dealing with both core WordPress code, and any plugin code. WordPress is usually quick with updates, and does a good job of keeping up on any possible security issues. But, plugins can be a different story. Add to that, as one of the largest CMS systems around, it is often a target of attackers.
  • The plugin marketplace can be a minefield. While there is a review process, we find that we have to be very vigilant in looking for plugins that are actively being patched and updated.
  • The extensible of WordPress can make it slow. If we are not careful with our plugins and customizations, we can sometimes create sites that do not perform up to web standards.
WordPress is well suited to most conventional or eCommerce websites. There are features to use the built in database for data driven sections of websites, like a store finder. The flexibility of WordPress can help make it a good choice for almost any website type, but if someone is looking for a very simple one or two page website that will not change much, WordPress may be overkill.
Read Benjamin Hale's full review
Richard Molina | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 10, 2018

The safest content manager on the market.

I use WordPress as a content manager to develop the pages of my clients because it is the best way to deliver a complete and fully self-managed website.
  • for developments of web pages that need to be delivered quickly.
  • dynamic websites where information will be constantly loaded. (Manageable Auto)
  • if you need a secure solution and a development that you can start with a theme or a template.
  • is not very good with very elaborate developments as e-commerce, in my opinion, there are more complete alternatives.
  • free websites because they fill the advertising site.
  • mobile apps.
I recently developed a website for a client with this CMS. and it was quite useful until today the client makes use of this content manager to upload new content every week to his web page.
Read Richard Molina's full review
Shelle Pourmanafzadehardabili | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 20, 2017

WordPress - the choice for most!

We use Wordpress for our websites, landing pages and for designing and developing websites for other companies.
  • It is a relatively easy to manage content management system for business sites, personal and professional blog sites and e-commerce sites.
  • WordPress has an impressive number of free and paid plugins that are regularly updated to manage security, seo and other functionality.
  • WordPress has an impressive number of well-written themes so that one does not have to be a programmer to create and/or update their site.
  • WordPress consistently does updates to the platform for usability and security. I do not see any inherent problems with how WordPress operates.
  • There is some confusion between wordpress.com (all-in-one blogging platform) and wordpress.org (self-hosted) that I personally feel should be separated. I've had some clients sign up and pay through wordpress.com when they should be using (free) wordpress.org which can be a pain.
The only time I do not recommend WordPress is if a completely non-techy person wants to create their own website without wanting to learn the basics or hire someone to help them create and/or maintain the site. It's features and capabilities far exceed those by the "do it yourself without any tech knowledge" of Squarespace, Weebly, Wix, etc.
Read Shelle Pourmanafzadehardabili's full review
James Pautz II | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 05, 2016

Easy to develop, easier to use

Wordpress is the content management platform on which our company's blog is run. It gives our marketing department an easy to use interface for writing and managing content.
  • The blogging engine is really powerful, with a simple UI, and well-developed, polished features.
  • SEO (search engine optimization) is very good built into Wordpress and can be made even better with plugins, like Yoast SEO.
  • From a development standpoint, Wordpress is very flexible. I was able to exactly duplicate the design of our main website, even though it isn't run on Wordpress. This creates a seamless experience for visitors.
  • The user-security model out of the box is adequate, but it could be more explicate and robust. There are numerous plugins that do help with this, however.
  • The plugin directory should force plugin developers to be more out right about what the free version vs. paid version of plugins do.
Wordpress is great for managing blogs and basic websites. It is simple and straightforward to develop with themes and plugins and has a vast plugin library already. It may not be the best choice for eCommerce, though there are plugins that can support it if needed.
Read James Pautz II's full review
Dane Morgan | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 08, 2015

WordPress is the Democratization of Personal Publishing

I use WordPress to build and run websites for clients across a wide spectrum of business types and website needs. Utilizing plugins and custom code i create solutions for ecommerce, brochure, information, lead generation and product specification websites for small businesses, entrepreneurs and advertising / marketing agencies. It is rare that I find an application needed by a small business that cannot be met by WordPress.
  • Offers easy-to-use back end management of content for non-technical users, making updating basic content achievable without contracting a developer.
  • Offers a wide variety of plug-able features to expand functionality without adding bloat allowing a wide range of custom applications without unnecessary or unneeded features crowding the system.
  • Offers basic on-page SEO optimization out of the box with little or no configuration allowing site owners to focus on their content.
  • Offers a wide variety of theme options that can be used without the need for a designer or developer, but also provide a lot of flexibility to creat unique, custom solutions as well.
  • WordPress has been slow to implement an internal API, though this should be addressed over the next year.
  • The sheer number of plugins and themes available can be overwhelming to new users.
  • Documentation is often intended for developers and advanced users making initial use without help a difficult learning process.
WordPress is well suited to a very wide range of applications and shines when used for content management, periodic news, product information and comparison, and ecommerce applications.

Community interaction websites may not find all of the features they need readily available, and sites needing to display a large amount of data that is heavily cross referenced or that needs very complex data structures may have a hard time building out the necessary site structure.
Read Dane Morgan's full review
Cristian Vitales Muñoz | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 14, 2016

WordPress from developer point of view

We use wordpress across the whole organization as our main landing page which redirects to our products or services. The main problem with wordpress is that we can't process payment through it, it's not secure at all.
  • Blog Posts or Pages
  • Easy description of your business
  • Easy Development
  • Fast conversion rates
  • Customitzation
  • Security
  • More control over the plugins that are released
If you want to have a main page of your product and have your own implementation, that will give you more reliability than having a WordPress [page].
Read Cristian Vitales Muñoz's full review
Sharon Hurley Hall | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 13, 2015

WordPress - a User-Friendly Blogging and Content Management System (CMS)

I use WordPress to run all my websites and also recommend it to other users. It makes it easy to update the site and look after search engine optimization issues. It is immensely configurable by choosing and editing themes to change the design and by installing plugins to look after different types of functionality.
  • One of the best features of WordPress is that it is easy to add, edit and update site content. Anyone who can use wordprocessing software can use WordPress. It's also simple to illustrate your content with images.
  • I particularly enjoy the ability to update site functionality via plugins. Although using too many plugins can slow a WordPress based site down, there are some crucial plugins that improve the basic installation.
  • It's also great that you can change the design easily at a range of price points, using free, freemium or premium themes.
  • While one of the strengths of WordPress is the ability to change your site without coding, the ability to manually edit core files can be a weakness, as users can break the site without knowing what they are doing. However, there is plenty of online help so you can avoid this.
  • Not all WordPress themes and plugins work as intended or play nicely together. This may not be because of WordPress itself, but can cause issues. It pays to do some research before installing something new.
  • An issue which is less common now is pasting content from Word and having strange characters appear when the post is published. Recent updates seem to have solved that problem, but if you are running an older version of the software, it's worth upgrading. Upgrading is also good for security.
WordPress is well suited to sites with multiple authors, as each contributor can have a separate login. It also lends itself well to creating news type sites, as content can be uploaded for review by an editor before going live. Frankly, it works for a wide range of sites and situations. However, those who want fine grained control may prefer to create or commission their own custom theme or plugin.
Read Sharon Hurley Hall's full review
Ansel Taft | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 07, 2015

WordPress FTW! ...most of the time.

We use WordPress as our primary platform for new client sites. Our bundle consists of probably the most respected of the premium WordPress theme frameworks, custom graphics from our design department, a set menu of plugins, custom programming to make certain features sing, and responsive styles baked in by default. Our development stack allows us to bring client sites to life in a week or two at a competitive price point, while delivering a decent feature set with a totally custom design.
  • WordPress can handle a broad array of content-centric sites from static sites, to a blog, to a mixed media site, to a content heavy site like TechCrunch.
  • Most mainstream site scenarios can be built using WordPress, up to the point where a high I/O or real-time webapp needed instead.
  • High I/O or real-time webapps.
  • High concurrent user sites. The server environment would need to be tuned to handle this, but the same can be said for most development platforms out there.
  • Wordpress as a framework or other MVC-style sites, the tools are still in their infancy.
  • WordPress' core is slowly being refactored from procedural to OOO-based code.
What is the purpose of the site?
What types of content will be served?
For how many users?
Will they need different access levels?
How many monthly visitors are expected?
How many concurrent users?
Will you need e-commerce baked in?
For how many SKUs?
Do you consider mobile users important to your online strategy?
Will the site need to be responsive?
How important is SEO to you?
Do you plan to advertise the site with PPC or on social media?
How will the site need to fit into your social media strategy?
Read Ansel Taft's full review
Judi Knight | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 11, 2015

WordPress - A Love Affair and more

I run a boutique web development and marketing agency, New Tricks. We only build websites using WordPress. Although this open source platform was created just over ten years ago, WordPress currently powers over 26% of all the websites in the world. One of the reasons it is so popular is that it was built to be easy for end users to add fresh content to their websites without having to call a developer. Being able to use your website agility as the hub of your marketing activities is essential for small businesses. WordPress started as a blogging software but in just a few years was extended to be a full content management program and is currently used by small businesses and also by enterprise organizations, museums, universities, retail companies for their bricks and mortar locations and for online sales. The possibilities are endless.

WordPress has Open Source licensing which means no one owns the code/program. It and it is free and available for all to use. A community of volunteers works to keep it going and growing. There are many ways for people to volunteer. Many of us who make our living using WordPress get involved with the WordPress community doing a variety of things. Some people work developing new code, some fix bugs or create plugins or themes. Others who are not coders, write documentation or work in their cities to help people learn more about WordPress and how to use it by running local WordPress Meetup groups or by organizing WordCamps (WordPress conferences).

• WordPress is easy for end users to add content to keep their sites fresh and attract search engines and readers to their websites.
  • Because of the widespread use of this free open source software, there is a huge development community helping it to grow. There are over 2,600 plugins which add extra functionality to WordPress out of the box, and thousands of free and premium themes to help people get started with their websites.
  • The WordPress community is helpful and gives away lots of free information on the web and in person. Local WordPress users have WordPress Meetups. all over the country where we put on trainings. Our community organizes WordCamps in major cities all over the world, with tickets priced around 20.00 a day, with tracks geared to WordPress beginners, users, designers and developers
  • WordPress is not easy for end users to fully customize. So if they have very particular needs they should have someone experienced set up the website.
  • It is so easy to use that people who don't know how to do web marketing create sites that are not very effective.
  • Programmers who don't take enough time to get to know the WordPress built in capabilities, end up hardcoding everything which then leaves their clients with a site that cannot be used effectively.
If you are just blogging or don't want to have to do backups and updates, it would be better to use WordPress.com. This is the free version of WordPress where they host it for you rather than your having to get your own hosting account and domain name.
Read Judi Knight's full review
Mathew Riexinger | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 05, 2015

Stress Less with WordPress

WordPress is currently being used by 100% of my clients that I have had the pleasure of doing business with recreating their business websites. WordPress addresses many different business problems, but the problems that it addresses the most are ease of use for an average user to update content on their website without the help of a webmaster, or hiring of a programmer or developer each time something needs to be changed on their website. Many business owners want the ability to update their own content without worrying about delegating the service to someone else, especially if content is ever changing or expanding, hiring a separate person for that can be cost effective and some businesses are going through tough times and need to be able to rely on themselves more these days to do some of the web work.

The second problem it addresses is the ability to insert a wide variety of different functionality into the site at any given time with the use of easy to install plugins. The variety of various types of plugins can address a lot of coding from scratch during the website building phase, which cuts costs for the business owners by only having to pay a fraction of the cost for the plugin than it would cost if a programmer was hired to do it from scratch for them. Plugins can be activated, and deactivated for use on the site without any coding knowledge necessary for most of them. I must state though that it does require grasping the systems user mechanics to a fair degree. Some plugins do require some knowledge of PHP, HTML5, CSS3 but most of it has been taken care of with the implementing of shortcodes that require only the knowledge of what the shortcode is used for and the ability to insert the shortcode in the proper areas of the website. Instead of writing out code, users can use something similar to: [large_image]http://example.com/largeimage.jpg[/large_image] instead, which is very user friendly to understand and implement.

Another problem WordPress addresses is cost. Since WordPress is a free to use platform with open source coding to the frame, anyone who uses WordPress can install it onto their website's host server for free, and they can also choose from a vast amount of free WordPress themes that give the user a head start on their project when the choose the right template for their site. In the WordPress depository, there are a wide variety of free plugins to use as well that cover almost anything you will need to get your site up and running efficiently. As for some of the better plugins out there, you can purchase a paid version of some of the plugins you find in the depository, or you can find them on other specific websites that sole purpose is to provide premium plugins, and themes to help with building your business' website.

• WordPress is a free to use, continuously updated with new features, quality product maintained, framework that can be easily installed on almost any server in the matter of minutes. This feature alone gives you the type of service that most paid systems would give you, but instead, it's absolutely free.
  • WordPress and third party companies offer many WordPress themes that are perfect for almost every type of website that you can think of making as a business or for personal use. The cost of these themes varies from Free - to upwards of $150 as the highest priced theme that I have personally seen on the market. You can also hire a developer to create your own custom theme with the needed requirements you would like as well, and that can range anywhere from $800 - $5,000 or more depending on the developer and the requirements of your site.
  • WordPress and third parties also offer many WordPress plugins that provide the business/user's website with specific functionality that the Wordpress framework and possibly their currently installed WordPress theme may not offer. Plugins can range from Free - $200 or more from my own personal experience looking across the internet on all the different websites that offer their plugin products. You can also hire a developer to create a custom WordPress plugin that meets your specific requirements as well. This can cost anywhere from $100 - $1,500 or more depending on the specific needs of the plugin you are looking to have created.
  • Wordpress offers ease of use for updating content for people who may not be so website savvy when it comes to the structure, lingo, or code layout. There are many options to customize your website with content using a visual composer plugin, or built in feature of a theme, or the WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) that's built into the WordPress framework already.
  • WordPress has been improving their framework since the beginning of development. If I would say that WordPress has room for improvement, it would be giving itself the ability to host plugins on a remote location to call functions from so that the use of many plugins won't disrupt the site's load speed times, which effects the overall experience of the site's users.
  • I think that WordPress can expand on some of their customization features to allow a simpler, faster way of getting your brand in the framework. Though this is capable through plugins that are out there, I think WordPress could alleviate the use of a lot of plugins if they incorporate some of the major used plugins features within the framework itself.
  • I think that WordPress can improve on the ease of use in connecting their members management functionality with outside source software that companies may be offering as a SaaS to their customers, and using WordPress as their main site that stores the sales information and sign-up features.
If you're looking to create an application or some type of software system, then WordPress isn't the appropriate choice. WordPress is best used as informational, e-commerce products, and interaction based content to engage with users who are interested in their business/site. However, if you're looking to build a membership site, WordPress has a lot to offer in terms of e-learning functionality with the use of themes or plugins to integrate into the site as well, and should be considered as a serious option for the selection of the business/user that's looking for the right framework/system to use for their site.
Read Mathew Riexinger's full review
Jake Smith | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 29, 2015

Business owner perspective on WordPress

WordPress is used as a framework for building my clients websites.
  • A Solid Framework.
  • Many Plugins Available.
  • Community Support.
  • Free.
  • Security can be an issue as it's a large target.
  • More CMS features such as making custom post types easier.
  • Adding a visual editor would be a benefit.
For websites with a variety of content types I might use something like ExpressionEngine 2 vs. WordPress.
Read Jake Smith's full review
May 28, 2018

Best CMS platform providing a number of features without any knowledge of coding

It is used by the department to maintain blogs. To make a different type of websites which are describing small and larger business of people. With the help of WordPress number of online stores, websites are being made every day to provide best and stylish experience to the users of the website.
  • WordPress is an open source CMS system that provides plethoras of free features.
  • There are varieties of plugins by installing them. We can add new functionalities to the website without any knowledge of coding.
  • WordPress is the best platform for customization of websites and millions of free themes are there.
  • The security of WordPress websites is not up to the mark. This should be improved so that we can overcome the threats and attacks on the websites.
  • Premium version of plugins is more costly.
  • Plugins are making websites slow.
WordPress provides tons of free features by installing different plugins and we can add every functionality to the website without any knowledge of coding.
If you are looking for a secure website then WordPress is not providing it by default. However, there is a limit of login attempts to overcome invalid logins

Role-based user permissions (56)
API (42)
Internationalization / multi-language (36)
WYSIWYG editor (52)
Code quality / cleanliness (55)
Admin section (59)
Page templates (57)
Library of website themes (57)
Mobile optimization / responsive design (56)
Publishing workflow (54)
Form generator (50)
Content taxonomy (51)
SEO support (54)
Bulk management (42)
Availability / breadth of extensions (55)
Community / comment management (54)

About WordPress

Wordpress is an open-source publishing platform popular with bloggers and a content management system. The appearance of a Wordpress site and many of its functions are managed through themes, and further customizable through altering code, though altering code is not required; templates and plugins to expand its capabilities are plentiful. Wordpress features integrated link management, and a search-engine friendly permalink structure. WordPress now allows multiple blogs to exist within one installation. Websites may host their own blogging communities, controlling and moderating content from a single dashboard.

Wordpress is popular due to its simplicity and modifiability. Furthermore implementing Wordpress costs only time. Two paid versions exist. The $99 premium plan allows a user an ad free custom domain with 13GB of space and advanced customization. The $299 Business plan allows unlimited space and supports eCommerce as well.