https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/dF/hc/8FQ1TNTS3WE6.PNGAn intuitive portal for HR info and co-worker recognitionI use Workday as my HR system of record. All employees at my organization use it to view pay stubs, update biographical information, change tax elections, view historical tax forms, as our employee directory, etc.,Single sign-on makes it easy to log in without having to remember another username or password. Downloading PDF's of historical tax statements is convenient and intuitive. Giving "badges" to other employees as a thank you is easy and effective - makes it easy to review a list of badges received when performance review season is upon us.,I'm not a big fan of the mobile app. I can't ever find what I'm looking for in there and end up having to go to the full website. I can't send badges from there (or figure out how to) for example, which seems like an obvious use case... I don't love the way performance reviews work in Workday. Getting the formatting right is difficult and the screen real estate I get to use for typing in comments or listing things is very limited.,8,I and my coworkers have started acknowledging each other more with the badging capabilities, which helps to increase engagement and help people feel appreciated. Having a go-to portal to download tax documents and update tax elections has been nice. I used to have to wait for a physically mailed W-2 and/or visit our payroll office to make changes.Workday can Work for youI work for a non-profit program housed within the University of Southern California. The entire university uses Workday HCM. In my position, I use Workday HCM in two capacities. Firstly, I use it as an employee and secondly, as a supervisor of other employees. Workday HCM is used for many purposes including benefits, compensation and payroll, employee management, time tracking, hiring and on-boarding. One of the primary business problems Workday HCM enables us to solve is hiring. The system simplifies the hiring process by providing one central location for us to read resumes, respond to applicants, accept or reject candidates and onboard. It also allows for simply time tracking and vacation/ sick time management. Lastly, it solves the individual problem that many employees have of keeping track of paycheck stubs and tax forms; Workday HCM conveniently organizes those documents all in one place.,Time tracking-I like the ease of entering time worked and the time off request policies. That system works very well for my colleagues and I am able to revise entries and easily submit it to my supervisor. Organizing pay stubs and tax forms- The payroll feature has been useful to me, I like being able to go back and see past checks. I am also easily able to refer my employees to their pay stubs when they have a question about past compensation. Benefit Management- I am able to view my benefits at any time and make changes when necessary.,The messaging features- the way that messages to other colleagues shows up is confusing because I cannot see what was written before the most recent message. The way that Workday HCM displays the "process" of an item (each step of a process such as termination of an employee) is not intuitive. The recruiting- this section could be simplified but overall it is not bad. My main complaint is that if candidates upload a Word document instead of PDF version of their supplemental documents the system does not allow you to preview that document. Instead, it automatically downloads the document to your computer. This is problematic when reviewing a large quantity of resumes because it takes up unnecessary space on my computer.,7,I have not been a part of evaluating the ROI that Workday HCR has provided for the company.,ADP and At your Service,Slack, DPS Outlook Office, Adobe Acrobat DC, SurveyMonkey, Google DriveWorkday - useful, won't do everythingWe use Workday HCM across the whole organization. It's a very simple to use program. I'm not sure on the implementation since I wasn't around for that portion, but the use is simple. We use HCM to manage our internal organization (promotions/transfers etc). I enjoy it because it does a great job of integrating payroll and position. We also get a good all up view of the organization.,Clean interface Easy to move people in organization Links with Pay/Benefits,Would love to see an option in Workday to build out scheduling/forecasting. We have tried solving this issue using Humanity and now Pipkins. It would be great to have all this information in one place and not have to go to an external vendor. In the end we went with Pipkins and have been pleased. Humanity was a bust.,9,Hard to quantify. It definitely saves us time in managing payroll and employee transfers.,Vantage Point and Humanity,Microsoft SQL ServerWorkday pros and consWe use workday for HRIS, payroll, benefits and performance evaluation across the organization. It helps to house all of these functions in one place as well as take care of some of the workload being employee self-serve.,Reports - they are simple and you can add as much detail as you can think of Self-service address, payment info, benefits - frees up a lot of administrative work Layout - the layout is easy to use and makes sense,I would like it to be less complicated when it comes to country or province specific requirements - I don't want to be able to choose another country unless I need to. Very difficult to use on cell phones An area to log conversations or memos,5,It saved time for reporting I found entering a new hire took more time than necessary,Oracle PeopleSoft HCMHCM for the Modern AgeWorkday HCM is currently being utilized to streamline and automate current manual processes as well as provide an ability to track our employee's life cycles all within a single system. We use the Workday HCM for recruiting/onboarding, payrolling, talent management, and a plethora of other services. The primary business problem Workday HCM addresses is a single system to manage employee transactions,Reporting. There seems to be a virtually limitless way to report on hundreds of different data points Performance Management capabilities have gone from manual pen and paper to online and fully automated with built-in routing and workflows Payroll services have been enhanced and pay changes have been streamlined and made more efficient,Reporting. Can be very messy if the user does not know what they're doing Roles in Workday need more configuration capabilities,7,We've seen a positive reception from Management and Employees using the system for day-to-day, BAU transactions Our data & analytics team has seen drastic improvements in the ability to track and monitor previously unexplored employee data points to drive business plans The learning curve for non-tech savvy personnel is pretty high and there have been some issues with adoption for people who don't primarily use computers for day-to-day work,Pega Platform,SharePoint CRM, Pega Platform
Workday Human Capital Management

Workday HCM Reviews

Workday HCM
Top Rated Award
Filter 223 vetted Workday HCM reviews and ratings
June 07, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "An intuitive portal for HR info and co-worker recognition"

• Single sign-on makes it easy to log in without having to remember another username or password.
  • Downloading PDF's of historical tax statements is convenient and intuitive.
  • Giving "badges" to other employees as a thank you is easy and effective - makes it easy to review a list of badges received when performance review season is upon us.
  • I'm not a big fan of the mobile app. I can't ever find what I'm looking for in there and end up having to go to the full website. I can't send badges from there (or figure out how to) for example, which seems like an obvious use case...
  • I don't love the way performance reviews work in Workday. Getting the formatting right is difficult and the screen real estate I get to use for typing in comments or listing things is very limited.
In general, I am pretty happy with using Workday as my HR system. The badging aspects, historical information, and directory info retrieval make it a very useful tool on a weekly basis.
Read Jarod Bonino's full review
February 27, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Workday can Work for you"

• Time tracking-I like the ease of entering time worked and the time off request policies. That system works very well for my colleagues and I am able to revise entries and easily submit it to my supervisor.
  • Organizing pay stubs and tax forms- The payroll feature has been useful to me, I like being able to go back and see past checks. I am also easily able to refer my employees to their pay stubs when they have a question about past compensation.
  • Benefit Management- I am able to view my benefits at any time and make changes when necessary.
  • The messaging features- the way that messages to other colleagues shows up is confusing because I cannot see what was written before the most recent message.
  • The way that Workday HCM displays the "process" of an item (each step of a process such as termination of an employee) is not intuitive.
  • The recruiting- this section could be simplified but overall it is not bad. My main complaint is that if candidates upload a Word document instead of PDF version of their supplemental documents the system does not allow you to preview that document. Instead, it automatically downloads the document to your computer. This is problematic when reviewing a large quantity of resumes because it takes up unnecessary space on my computer.
Workday is well suited for basic employee management, time tracking, and payroll. Recruiting is a bit more difficult because of the many steps required in the process. In order to ensure that the system is as useful to you and your team as possible, I recommend making sure that you have a training for your employees about how to use it before they begin using the system. Once you get used to it, Workday HCM is simple! However, it can be confusing at first if you have never used it. I wouldn't say that this is a downside to the product though, as this is the case with any new technology or software system.
Read Sarah Ruderman's full review
February 15, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Workday - useful, won't do everything"

• Clean interface
  • Easy to move people in organization
  • Links with Pay/Benefits
  • Would love to see an option in Workday to build out scheduling/forecasting. We have tried solving this issue using Humanity and now Pipkins. It would be great to have all this information in one place and not have to go to an external vendor. In the end we went with Pipkins and have been pleased. Humanity was a bust.
I would use workday HCM as your all up personnel system. It's great for a 30K foot view of your organization. If you need to get more granular you will likely need a different solution.
Read Luke Ferrel's full review
February 06, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Workday pros and cons"

• Reports - they are simple and you can add as much detail as you can think of
  • Self-service address, payment info, benefits - frees up a lot of administrative work
  • Layout - the layout is easy to use and makes sense
  • I would like it to be less complicated when it comes to country or province specific requirements - I don't want to be able to choose another country unless I need to.
  • Very difficult to use on cell phones
  • An area to log conversations or memos
I believe it's best for large companies that require different countries and provinces.
Read Nikki Dettman's full review
June 28, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "HCM for the Modern Age"

• Reporting. There seems to be a virtually limitless way to report on hundreds of different data points
  • Performance Management capabilities have gone from manual pen and paper to online and fully automated with built-in routing and workflows
  • Payroll services have been enhanced and pay changes have been streamlined and made more efficient
  • Reporting. Can be very messy if the user does not know what they're doing
  • Roles in Workday need more configuration capabilities
Workday is well-suited to bring any company into the 21st century as far as managing your workforce. Would be less appropriate for smaller businesses as the cost/benefit ratio diminishes with fewer employees.
February 09, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Workday - Highly Recommend"

Workday is currently used across our entire company. Its primary use within my company is goal tracking, planning, and accountability. Large amounts of employee personal information is also stored there and used as a reference point for them. Workday is introduced to the employee on day one. The largest problem addressed by this program is making yearly/quarterly goals easily accessible, easy to update, and easy to share and reference with your team or supervisor.
  • Employee goal tracking and setting
  • Consolidation of HR related information
  • Adding visibility to the hierarchy and set up of the organization
  • Login ability can be rather "clunky" and un-intuitive
  • For goal setting, the back and forth for approvals can be rather tedious at times
Workday is a great tool if companies want to consolidate the number of platforms they use to keep track of employee related information. The layout of the platform is easy to figure out for first time users and from my own experience, works decently on mobile devices. The tool also offers many ways to create a more visualized layout of the company and teams for those who are new or those who are looking to get a broader image of the people within the organization.
April 11, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "A simpler employee management interface"

Used HCM to track employee payment/compensation information, as well as information for incoming new hire employees. With new employees, we're able to easily and quickly find the applicants submitted materials to be evaluated with their job application. HCM also allows us to watch the time employees work and properly manage their payment and compensation. Then as new years come along, its effortless to provide an employee with their tax information.
  • Employee compensation and benefits are also easy to view within HCM and issue to employees in the software.
  • Easy to observe worker information and keep track of their working time.
  • Easy to review job applications.
  • Interface can be clunky at times.
  • Would like to be able to pre-plan employee schedules and see conflicts.
Really this type of software is good for any type of working office. Universities would probably benefit from this a lot, as having to manage countless faculty, as well as student employees, can be very tedious without a simple system.
March 23, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Workday for HR"

We have converted our LMS over to Workday to house web-based training for the entire company. It is utilized for performance, benefits & compensation, tax information and all other HR functions across HR. Each individual in the organization has access and should use it daily. It does not affect business operations made daily, however the navigation of the system does influence the ease of access associates have to training material.
  • Modern, visually inviting interface - easy to navigate with icons and a clean, simplistic layout.
  • A cloud-based application that creates ease of access to content.
  • The search feature is not streamlined with the content - making it less accessible
  • Applications housed on personal pages are helpful and I encourage more customizable home screens
Workday has been a great tool for users who are actively engaged with modern technology such as social media and will continue to be effective for many users who enjoy the cloud-based system. For those who take some time to get used to less text, more visuals - this is an opportunity to over-communicate when new features are available or if a user has not utilized certain features. Similar to banking sites with pop-ups or intro screens with a "did you know" message on it. Make the site as intuitive as possible.
January 31, 2018

Workday HCM: "Workday Review"

I am in the sales organization and we use it to do expenses, see payslips, see commissions, etc. I think that the rest of the organization uses it as well but I am not positive. It is extremely user-friendly and I am very satisfied with it.
  • Ease of use
  • Everything in one place - manager can approve expenses fast as well
  • Can see my profile from previous jobs within the company as well
  • I really don't have any cons for Workday.
Recommended for employees who have to do expenses monthly as it is extremely fast.
January 18, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Amazing all-in-one software"

Workday HCM is used across the entire organization and has also been used at one of my previous jobs with another company. This software is awesome for all HR and job management in one place. You can easily record goals, keep track of performance reviews, compensation, time off, and so much more. If you're ever wondering about a coworker's contact information or where they fall on the on the reporting chain, it's incredibly easy to look that up. I was at another company that didn't use Workday for things like performance reviews and tracking hours and it was an extremely archaic and slow system that was incredibly frustrating.
  • Performance Tracking
  • Compensation
  • Time Off
  • User Friendly
  • Clean Design
  • Seamless
  • It's only useful if your manager and other co-workers adopt it too, otherwise, it'll be lacking data/functionality.
  • Sometimes some forms or information isn't where you'd think it is, intuitively, so you have to go on a bit of a hunt for it.
  • I frequently get errors or have access issues with small things that are frustrating. You might reload the page and it'll work which is a bit annoying.
Workday Human Capital Management is good for bigger companies that employ a large number of workers. It makes it easy to manage pay, time off, performance, personal information, tax information, etc. all in one place. Other employers I've had, use multiple systems for each of these things, whereas Workday puts all this information in one place. I'd highly recommend it to get all your HR management into one, seamless application.
March 14, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Workday...the good and the bad!"

Workday is currently used at our company for expense reimbursement, managing and submitting PTO requests, managing and creating yearly employee goals, and leveraging it for the organizational structure at the company (i.e. who works under whom etc.). It is being used across the entire organization.
  • I think the org structure is particularly helpful, especially since it is not available anywhere else at our firm.
  • PTO requests are fairly easy to submit and manage.
  • I also enjoy the B-Day feature, especially in a Management role. This can be used to keep a good working culture.
  • I don't enjoy the expense reimbursement piece of Workday. Previously I used Concur, and I thought that solution that was easier to Manage and less manual. I liked the expense dilution piece of the program, as you put more clients into the expense report, it would dilute the overall per head expense. I also thought inputting clients into Concur was a bit easier and much easier to pull up once submitted for future expense reports.
  • I also didn't enjoy submitting goals on behalf of direct reports. It seemed like that piece of the program did not work at all. I submitted the expenses and they still seemed to be in a draft type mode. This was my least favorite piece of the program.
It is great from an org framework and PTO submission perspective. I also enjoy the B-Day feature so you can keep track of that as it relates to your direct reports. It was also nice that it had employee compensation for your direct reports. I did not like the expense reimbursement and goal portion of the program.
February 14, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Great for interactive learners"

One of the best things about this resource is how it makes it easy to enforce new and ever-changing company policies and processes. It helps to keep processes customizable per what your company needs.
  • Customizable
  • Easy to navigate
  • Lots of demos and hands on learning
  • While great for kinesistic learners may not be as compatible for other types of learners like auditory learners.
This is a great tool for established companies who have fluid or rapidly changing policies they need to keep up to date. Also could be great for start ups that are quickly ramping up.
January 12, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Workday Blows Away Anything in the Market!"

It is being used across the entire organization because every employee uses it, and they can use it while being mobile. HR, finance, and leadership use it for a number of different functions but mainly in making business decisions. It enables their decision making by having a full understanding of their people.
  • Analytics
  • Reporting
  • Self Service
  • Financials
  • Features
  • Tax integrations
Workday is great for any medium size business all the way up to enterprise Fortune 100 companies and across any industry imaginable. Small mom and pop businesses are probably not the best fit to bring Workday into their business to address business needs, it would be way too sophisticated and way too expensive.
Read Amy Rose Gill's full review
October 30, 2017

"Workday HCM Review"

Workday is used by the entire organization to track time off, post internal jobs, view incentives and enroll in benefits. It is a great one-stop-shop for employees to use for HR purposes. We recently moved our job postings into Workday and I have found it to be easier to view than the previous application.
  • Employees can easily track and manage their time off.
  • Job postings are easy to see and apply to.
  • Employees' benefits are accessible and easy to research in Workday.
  • There is a lot of clicking around involved. Everything is a new window.
Workday is a good tool for larger businesses that have a lot of employees to manage. It is a good tool for both the employer and the employee. It allows employees to have clear visibility into their benefits. It also is a good place to house your internal job board.
Read Nathan Duncan's full review
September 21, 2017

Workday HCM Review: "WorkDay vs. the rest"

The client implemented HCM, Time and Attendance two years ago, and will bring up Benefits this month.
  • Time tracking
  • Work Flow, manager approval
  • Interfacing with an external payroll system
  • It takes a long time to run some of the reports, sometimes days.
  • Limited number of data sources to selected from for report.
  • Difficult to customize & add bolt on.
  • Reduce IT budget
  • HCM policy conforms to industry standards
  • Fewer changes
Read Matt Ding's full review
October 24, 2017

Workday HCM Review: "Workday provides more time to get work done."

Workday HCM was purchased to replace the HCM, benefits, compensation, and time-tracking modules of ADP WFN. Our organization had a low self-service user rate for both managers and individual contributors. In order, to be a more agile company it was imperative we had a system that allowed leaders and employees flexibility and ease of use to complete mundane HR tasks to more critical events, such as performance reviews and the annual focal point review.
  • Offers a vast amount of stock reports that help meet HR Compliance needs.
  • Mobile access, which allows employees to take ownership of updating their records.
  • Workday's configurable model allows our organization to set up clear and efficient business processes to help create best practice processes for job changes, merit, bonus, and development.
  • Workday should offer more training to new users through Workday Community that is basic in nature and not a part of the purchased training package.
  • More flexibility for Company branding on subpages.
Workday is great for large companies that are tech savvy. If your company is bogged down with data warehouses and misplaced ownership of people data (within IT) then Workday is a product that will transform your organization and HR/Financial processes. This product is also a great motivator for a more engaged manager as they can handle hiring, life cycle events, performance/development, and exits within one system.
November 29, 2017

Workday HCM Review: "Workday makes work easy"

The entire organization is using Workday. With multiple types of employees (full- and part-time, permanent, temporary, 10- and 12-month), there was a need for a single, streamlined system that can be grown to meet the ever-changing needs of the university. The transition to the system for the end users was somewhat stress-free, and the option to sign in remotely or through a mobile device made the overall acceptance of this new system extremely high.

• The mobile feature is superior. Little if any issues have been reported on this feature and it is very intuitive.
  • The ability to manage different types of employees in unique situations is handled with simplicity and focus. There are enough options and customizations in the system to allow for various needs.
  • Some of the processes are not necessarily easy to interpret, such as the difference in screens when looking at an overview of an employee. But, this comes with using the system.
In my current environment, there is a multitude of employee types: full time, part time, two different unions, student workers, temporary workers, permanent employees, 10 or 12-month staff, management, etc. Each of these types of employees has their own needs and their own processes for recording and being awarded time. With just so many different needs, Workday has been able to meet the specific requirements of each group while staying standardized so that the training and support staffs can easily assist the end users.
July 27, 2017

Workday HCM Review: "Workday is the Best!!!"

Since our implementation Workday has replaced a minimum of 6 different HR applications and streamlined countless processes. It is easy to use and from an administrator's perspective a dream to work with. I have over 20 years in the industry and I have never used a system that could address every situation that is thrown at it with ease. The employees love the intuitive design of the product and the consistency of the features across the modules.
  • The system is never down.
  • Upgrades are effortless.
  • There is a blog like site called community where Workday and users post topical questions and documentation about the tool that is second to none and the knowledge that is shared is AMAZING!!!
  • Some additional report very advanced training options would be welcomed
Workday is costly, so it is inaccessible to small organizations, but very well suited to large and even medium organizations, especially those that are global.
September 27, 2017

Workday HCM Review: "Nice Software"

It is used by all members of the organization for annual enrollment, as well as monitoring throughout the year. HR probably uses the software more extensively.
  • Easy to follow during open enrollment
  • Easy to review your elections at any point
  • Allows a way to track your progress through the recruiting process
Works well for recruiting and for benefit enrollment.
March 16, 2017

Workday HCM Review: "Workday Works!"

We use all the basic functions of Workday Human Capital Management and just recently added the payroll module. This replaced ADP. We are looking to also use the onboarding module and link to our SmartRecruiters ATS.
  • Employee self-serve was hard culturally to get going but has reduced some of the tasks done by our payroll and admin groups.
  • Not hard to train. Our users were able to grasp and use Workday fairly quickly.
  • Time and attendance are much easier to track and maintain with Workday. Plus we are much more compliant.
  • Updates to the system don't come as frequently as one would want.
  • Although training is easy, the system is not intuitive, meaning you can't just turn it on and let folks learn on their own. There is a learning curve.
It is not a perfect system but certainly is a very good one. Implementation took sometime and we used a third party vendor (TPV) to assist us. Lots of work up front but it is worth it to make system work for you.
Read Jason Fisher, PHR/SHRM-CP's full review
April 13, 2017

Workday HCM Review: "Workday makes my day easier, every day,"

Workday is used across our organization. Employees use it for "self-service" such as entering their hours works, requesting vacation days, making benefit elections and viewing paystubs. Managers use it to view their teams, approve compensation and job changes, and hire and terminate employees. Human Resources uses it as our system of record for all employee data- personal information, job information, location, compensation, benefits. And we use it to run reports based on all of that data.
  • Reporting- this is a huge aspect for me. I can customize reports and create my own "calculated fields" to quickly pull out any information from the system that I need. The reports can then be automated to run on a set schedule so they are there waiting for you when you need them.
  • User friendly interface- our employees are using this system on a daily basis so it is important for it to be user friendly. I think Workday does a good job making their setup very intuitive and easy to use
  • Community- Workday has a "community" website where other users post questions and answers. I have found it to be very helpful to get feedback from the Workday experts and other users.
  • This is very specific, but I wish there was a way to search by a field and see which reports are using that field. For example, if I want to see how many direct reports each of our managers have. I know I have a field called "Number of Direct Reports" but I can't remember which reports I have used that field in, so I end up having to create a brand new report.
  • I do wish some of the larger reports would run faster. I sometimes end up having to come back later to get the results.
  • The formatting of email notifications could be better. They come in plain text emails which are hard to read.
I always recommend Workday to others, mainly because the reporting makes my life so much easier. I think any large company with a significant amount of HR data to track would benefit from Workday. The implementation process is a significant time commitment so it may not be worth it for smaller companies who have other ways of tracking information.
June 13, 2017

Workday HCM Review: "I like Workday - I want more of it."

Workday is being used to track our employees by supervisors and cost centers. We are thinking about implementing the recruiting function and utilizing the analytics for recruiting purposes (past employers, universities, outside organization affiliations...) but have not purchased that function as of yet. Right now we use it for tracking when I think it could be used for so much more.
  • Workday is visually appealing. I enjoy working in Workday.
  • Workday is intuitive and guides you through the process.
  • The administrators are able to fix problems quickly.
  • Workday can be slow at times and will just shut down when overused.
  • The permissions are not easily fixed manually.
  • The trainers are not knowledgeable about the product and are not very helpful.
Well suited in an environment that embraces intuitive technology.
March 28, 2017

Workday HCM Review: "The next generation of cloud-based HCM platform is here, now!"

My organization implements Workday HCM for clients, ranging from mid-size to large enterprises (as Workday defined as "LDP" and "LE", respectively). It is almost always used across the client's entire organization. As an HCM platform, it is cloud based so there is no infrastructure required on the client side, and is widely considered user-friendly and intuitive. My main role is to design and build integrations for Workday to integrate with legacy systems that clients currently use or need to replace. In that aspect, Workday is fairly rigid in the sense that a lot of the integrations are pre-packaged for vendors. There are additional tools that allow more customization but Workday tries to focus on templates to accelerate implementation times.
  • User-friendly, intuitive user interface - Most in the industry would agree it is one of the best user interfaces for HCM platforms.
  • Integration Cloud - Pre-packaged, template-based, integrations are very efficient to implement with certain vendors, compared to traditional customized integrations that are built over and over for the same vendor.
  • Integration Studio - A custom eclipsed-based tool that allows drag-and-drop components to build custom solutions for certain systems. Flexible, adaptable, and scalable.
  • Platform Modules - Still a work in progress in areas outside of HCM. For example, the financial module was being pushed by Workday recently but not all modules are available compared to traditional platforms such as PeopleSoft.
  • Integration Cloud - There is still much to be desired on the templates. Not all vendors have specific templates and there are some bugs associated with certain templates.
  • Integration Studio - The tool is very time consuming and has a steep learning curve. It's not necessarily a Workday's problem as the tool has to compromise between simplicity to use and flexibility/adaptability.
Any customer that wants to focus on its people and have a cloud-based platform that can pretty much manage anything HR related should consider Workday, as long as it's a mid-sized company because it can be cost-prohibitive for smaller companies. Companies that cannot adapt to changes should think twice before implementing Workday as well because it is really a different concept than what traditional HR people are used to.
August 03, 2016

Workday HCM Review: "Workday - a winning solution for your HCM needs!"

Workday HCM is being utilized by virtually everyone in the firm. It has been implemented for dashboards, tracking, reporting, and increased business use function. However, all employees will be on-boarded through Workday. Their reviews will occur within Workday. Job changes as well as salary changes will occur within Workday. One time payments will be entered and approved in Workday. Benefit selections will be made by employees in Workday. Workflows (business processes) have been built to route to the appropriate team for approvals for each specific task. Several integrations are coming out of Workday, as this has become our record of source for the company. It integrates seamlessly with ADP Vantage, and I have also used it with ADP Enterprise version 5 (Ev5). The company has been able to gather additional information to make better informed business decisions, to thereby steer the company into the future.
  • The reporting analytics are truly fantastic! I have been able to gather any information I can dream up from its reporting capabilities. I currently have several reports running for new hires, terminations, LOAs, retro pay changes, a report that pulls specific documents in upload categories (terrific!), all employee payroll info for auditing payroll data, and so on. The only thing to remember is to pull reports based on effective dates and approval dates, which are considered two different options in Workday. If not, transactions can be missed.
  • Working with my auditors is easier than ever! I just print off the new hire or termination business process flow. This documents each step of the process with a date, time stamp, as well as comments of the approver. I have had no push back on the information provided from Workday in an audit.
  • The back button! In most data systems, there is a home key, or search button that has to be hit after clicking within an employee's file. In Workday, the back button can be hit in any screen to take you to the previous screen. It is wonderful!
  • Workday allows the capability to drill down to the most minute detail. Simply by clicking on the item, with security permission permitting, it allows drilling down to each item within the system. This allows for truly learning the system, and learning the values of the selections being processed.
  • Workday HCM does not have the functionality to hold state tax elections unless the payroll module is purchased. A workaround at my last company was to create a document category, and then have the employee upload the tax documents. A report was ran at payroll submission to pull these documents. The down side was that they then had to be manually processed into payroll. At my current company, the tax elections, both state and federal, are made in ADP - a business process is programmed within on-boarding that takes the employees outside of Workday to make these elections and then brings them back in to finish the on-boarding process. I'm sure Workday does this as a way to up-sell their product. However, it has resulted into a drawback and hindrance instead.
  • At my last company, there were 13 US pay groups, with several hundred locations, cost centers, and so on. It would be great if Workday had the ability to limit the selection of cost centers and locations based on pay group. For example, for one company/pay group, there are only a certain number of valid locations and cost centers. However, Workday allowed any cost center or location to be chosen for the employee. This caused integration failures into ADP US and ADP Canada when invalid locations and cost centers were chosen.
  • As Workday is the record of source, all allowances should be entered and approved in this system. In theory, it should flow to payroll from here, with the charge number, and then on to the GL. In my current company, many types of allowances are used with many different charge numbers. The charge numbers may not match the home department for the employee as the employees work on many different projects, and the allowances are subject to change based on the project. The charge numbers on the allowances could conceivably change each month for some employees. For one-time payments, a work around with work tags were able to be utilized in a customization field with the charge numbers so that the integrations from Workday would bring over both the one-time payment with the charge number. Allowances do not have that capability. This was a big problem for my current company, and one we are still working thru. It appears that a report will be downloaded from Workday from our data management team, and then input into FileMaker with the charge numbers from there. Then, an output will be sent to payroll. It is taking quite a bit of maneuvering and extra work. No one is very happy with our work around or the fact charge numbers could not be entered.
Workday is well suited for reporting, auditing, integrations, and reviewing worker history. It is less appropriate for tracking state taxes without the payroll module. It is also less appropriate if a company pays several allowances with different project costing.
Read Sarah Truman's full review
July 18, 2016

Workday HCM Review: "Workday Vs On premises /Outdated HCM ERP"

Workday provides advanced capabilities for the HCM community by unmatched modern facilities like complete digitalization of HR documents, latest analytics, embedded analytics, exceptional system audit functionality, and complete system in the cloud with no restrictions on data storage and integrating the cloud system with other HR systems as well.

It addresses the following problems
1. No space/Field constraints
2. No integration restrictions with third party vendors
3, Everything on cloud with excellent Disaster recovery management
4. Latest analytics including descriptive, predictive and prescriptive nature
5. Configurable security, with data security standards on par with any traditional on premises ERP systems
  • No data storage and complete digitalization
  • Configurable business process driven system and no infrastructure required
  • No pains of version upgrades and exceeding integration tools to integrate the system with third party payroll providers
  • Much integrated and jet fast payroll functionality for US and canada
  • Exceptional audit capabilities
  • Extraordinary analytics and embedded analytics
  • Ready to use cloud connectors for payroll integrations
  • Well built talent management including recruiting
  • Ready to use integrations even with background verification companies in recruiting
  • Recruiting can be much interactive and some the commited functionalites like integrations with hirevue not yet seen
  • Improvements required for ADP payroll integrations
  • More provisions required for localization ( esp for Asian countries)
  • Transparency in Pricing
  • No solution available for Learning management System
Desire to move into cloud and what is the objective of the company in using modern technologies like analytics and integration?
Desire to outsource mundane quantitative processes in HR and keeping qualitative processes in house
Desire for hassle free upgrade cycles
Desire for getting rid of white elephants (AMS team) in traditional ERP setup
Clear road map for BDA and PDA ( big data and predictive data)
Read Raghavendran Parthasarathy's full review

Employee demographic data (37)
Employment history (39)
Job profiles and administration (39)
Workflow for transfers, promotions, pay raises, etc. (41)
Organizational charting (39)
Organization and location management (39)
Compliance data (COBRA, OSHA, etc.) (30)
Pay calculation (29)
Support for external payroll vendors (24)
Benefit plan administration (27)
Direct deposit files (29)
Salary revision and increment management (29)
Reimbursement management (20)
Approval workflow (34)
Balance details (33)
Annual carry-forward and encashment (28)
View and generate pay and benefit information (36)
Update personal information (39)
View company policy documentation (30)
Employee recognition (23)
View job history (32)
Tracking of all physical assets (11)
Report builder (34)
Pre-built reports (35)
Ability to combine HR data with external data (28)
New hire portal (22)
Manager tracking tools (22)
Corporate goal setting (19)
Individual goal setting (21)
Line-of sight-visibility (17)
Performance tracking (20)
Performance plans (21)
Performance improvement plans (18)
Review status tracking (18)
Review reminders (19)
Multiple review frequency (17)
Create succession plans/pools (13)
Candidate ranking (13)
Candidate search (14)
Candidate development (13)
Job Requisition Management (17)
Company Website Posting (14)
Publish to Social Media (14)
Job Search Site Posting (15)
Duplicate Candidate Prevention (16)
Applicant Tracking (15)
Notifications and Alerts (16)

About Workday HCM

Workday Human Capital Management is built as a single system with a single source of data, single security model, and single user experience. Workday offers organizations a cloud-based system that evolves to meet changing business needs today and into the future. The user-friendly, global system also ensures that customers are always on the latest version with up-to-date capabilities, whether they’re using Workday on a browser or mobile device. Workday HCM is part of a single system with other Workday products including Workday Financial Management, Workday Payroll (for the U.S., Canada, France, and the UK), Workday Recruiting, Workday Learning, Workday Planning, and more.

Key product areas: