https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/dF/hc/8FQ1TNTS3WE6.PNGSimplify Your Process through Ease and VisibilityWe switched to Workday to simplify all of our processes that HR has to deal with. One of the driving factors was the mobile app that Workday provides. With an employee base that skews low-mid 20's, it was imperative that we have something that allowed people to access all of their HR information from their handheld devices. The desktop platform is extremely user friendly and able to be customized to each individual's preferences.,Mobile Application - Simple and quick Easy to navigate Pay, vacation, sick, work history all in one spot,Single sign on was tricky at the start,10,Gave us almost 4 hours per HR rep back on new hire day 1. We have a start date every 4 weeks and the manual entry of paperwork that was able to be eliminated with Workday has allowed us to put more HR reps in the classroom to aid with more important day 1 tasks. Simplified search - the backend information is now housed in a simple database that allows me to pull with employee first or last name, or user ID. We paid more for this solution, but we've seen a 33% increase in employee interaction since doing so.,Saba, Cornerstone OnDemandEnd user Perspective on Workday HSMWe use Workday in our company for tracking payroll, paid time off, and paystubs. We have also started developing ways to use the idea functionality for our project management group. It is used across the entire organization.,Its does a very good job of managing paid time off requests and paid time off calendars. The submission and approval process is very streamlined and understandable. The payroll system seems very adequate as well. I only see it from the perspective of getting my paystub, But it is easy to read Seems like it has a plethora of functionality that we haven't even started to utilize yet.,As an end user that really only uses what functionaility is delivered, it is hard for me to comment on the cons of this software. It is possible that it does not have cons, but it is far more likely that they simply have not deployed the software for areas that it is less capable at handling.,9,Again from the default perspective of an end user it is difficult for me to comment on things like ROI or impacts. However I can say that the software is significantly better than anything we were using before hand. It also consolidated a significant number of software packages. I would assume a positive impact and ROI.,Oracle PeopleSoft HCM,Oracle PeopleSoft HCMAn intuitive portal for HR info and co-worker recognitionI use Workday as my HR system of record. All employees at my organization use it to view pay stubs, update biographical information, change tax elections, view historical tax forms, as our employee directory, etc.,Single sign-on makes it easy to log in without having to remember another username or password. Downloading PDF's of historical tax statements is convenient and intuitive. Giving "badges" to other employees as a thank you is easy and effective - makes it easy to review a list of badges received when performance review season is upon us.,I'm not a big fan of the mobile app. I can't ever find what I'm looking for in there and end up having to go to the full website. I can't send badges from there (or figure out how to) for example, which seems like an obvious use case... I don't love the way performance reviews work in Workday. Getting the formatting right is difficult and the screen real estate I get to use for typing in comments or listing things is very limited.,8,I and my coworkers have started acknowledging each other more with the badging capabilities, which helps to increase engagement and help people feel appreciated. Having a go-to portal to download tax documents and update tax elections has been nice. I used to have to wait for a physically mailed W-2 and/or visit our payroll office to make changes.Workday Helps Hypergrowth Tech Company Scale!Consolidates all HR related informationLeveraged for performance compensation planningLeveraged for benefits enrollmentLeveraged for organizational hierarchy designLeveraged as headcount source of truth for actuals and forecast,Clean and easy to use interface in comparison to other incumbents such as Oracle Lots of modules enables broad functionality -- from payroll, to headcount tracking, to benefits and compensation planning Easily connects to other critical tools such as Payroll, ATS, and the Financial Planning tool Product continues to evolve and get better Robust reporting functionality,Pricing. Its expense comparative to other incumbents in the space Product maintenance / complexity appears to be high according to my IT team Identifying a solid implementation partner was a challenge,8,Workday HCM has helped tremendously during organizational changes Workday HCM really streamlined our benefits sign-up process for the better! Workday HCM made compensation planning a breeze during performance reviews Love the organizational charts visuals! Reporting is robust!,Oracle HCM Cloud,Tableau Online, IBM Cognos TM1, Slack, Greenhouse, Okta, Atlassian Confluence, BlackLineHCM for the Modern AgeWorkday HCM is currently being utilized to streamline and automate current manual processes as well as provide an ability to track our employee's life cycles all within a single system. We use the Workday HCM for recruiting/onboarding, payrolling, talent management, and a plethora of other services. The primary business problem Workday HCM addresses is a single system to manage employee transactions,Reporting. There seems to be a virtually limitless way to report on hundreds of different data points Performance Management capabilities have gone from manual pen and paper to online and fully automated with built-in routing and workflows Payroll services have been enhanced and pay changes have been streamlined and made more efficient,Reporting. Can be very messy if the user does not know what they're doing Roles in Workday need more configuration capabilities,7,We've seen a positive reception from Management and Employees using the system for day-to-day, BAU transactions Our data & analytics team has seen drastic improvements in the ability to track and monitor previously unexplored employee data points to drive business plans The learning curve for non-tech savvy personnel is pretty high and there have been some issues with adoption for people who don't primarily use computers for day-to-day work,Pega Platform,SharePoint CRM, Pega Platform
Workday Human Capital Management

Workday HCM Reviews

Workday HCM
Top Rated Award
Filter 245 vetted Workday HCM reviews and ratings
Zach Wasson profile photo
August 06, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Simplify Your Process through Ease and Visibility"

• Mobile Application - Simple and quick
  • Easy to navigate
  • Pay, vacation, sick, work history all in one spot
  • Single sign on was tricky at the start
This is a perfect solution for a large workforce with multiple moving departments. This allows for people to have access essentially 24/7 to some of their most commonly asked questions. The ability to track vacation time off, sick time, leave (parental/military/medical), and personal days is seamless. Another function our employees seem to like is the ability to track all of their work history in one place. There is a consistent timeline that lets them see where they have been and how they have progressed. With the addition of our leadership development schedule, it becomes very evident what their next step is.
Read Zach Wasson's full review
Nathan Kung profile photo
September 11, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "End user Perspective on Workday HSM"

• Its does a very good job of managing paid time off requests and paid time off calendars. The submission and approval process is very streamlined and understandable.
  • The payroll system seems very adequate as well. I only see it from the perspective of getting my paystub, But it is easy to read
  • Seems like it has a plethora of functionality that we haven't even started to utilize yet.
  • As an end user that really only uses what functionaility is delivered, it is hard for me to comment on the cons of this software. It is possible that it does not have cons, but it is far more likely that they simply have not deployed the software for areas that it is less capable at handling.
We are a very large organization, and it seems to do an amazing job of tracking Payroll/PTO across the entire group. It is entirely possible that this would be a little overkill for a small organization. However I am not privy to the pricing model that they use so if it was affordable for small business it might be perfectly viable.
Read Nathan Kung's full review
Jarod Bonino profile photo
June 07, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "An intuitive portal for HR info and co-worker recognition"

• Single sign-on makes it easy to log in without having to remember another username or password.
  • Downloading PDF's of historical tax statements is convenient and intuitive.
  • Giving "badges" to other employees as a thank you is easy and effective - makes it easy to review a list of badges received when performance review season is upon us.
  • I'm not a big fan of the mobile app. I can't ever find what I'm looking for in there and end up having to go to the full website. I can't send badges from there (or figure out how to) for example, which seems like an obvious use case...
  • I don't love the way performance reviews work in Workday. Getting the formatting right is difficult and the screen real estate I get to use for typing in comments or listing things is very limited.
In general, I am pretty happy with using Workday as my HR system. The badging aspects, historical information, and directory info retrieval make it a very useful tool on a weekly basis.
Read Jarod Bonino's full review
August 07, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Workday Helps Hypergrowth Tech Company Scale!"

• Consolidates all HR related information
  • Leveraged for performance compensation planning
  • Leveraged for benefits enrollment
  • Leveraged for organizational hierarchy design
  • Leveraged as headcount source of truth for actuals and forecast
  • Clean and easy to use interface in comparison to other incumbents such as Oracle
  • Lots of modules enables broad functionality -- from payroll, to headcount tracking, to benefits and compensation planning
  • Easily connects to other critical tools such as Payroll, ATS, and the Financial Planning tool
  • Product continues to evolve and get better
  • Robust reporting functionality
  • Pricing. Its expense comparative to other incumbents in the space
  • Product maintenance / complexity appears to be high according to my IT team
  • Identifying a solid implementation partner was a challenge
Workday HCM is being leveraged across the whole company. It serves as the consolidation point for (i) headcount tracking, (ii) employee information, (iii) benefits, (iv) compensation planning, and (v) organizational design. The user interface is sleek and easy to use for all users -- even new ones. We've also been able to easily connect Workday HCM to several other software solutions further improving efficiency. My only complaint about this software is the price -- as your organization grows it gets quite expense due to the SaaS pricing.
June 28, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "HCM for the Modern Age"

• Reporting. There seems to be a virtually limitless way to report on hundreds of different data points
  • Performance Management capabilities have gone from manual pen and paper to online and fully automated with built-in routing and workflows
  • Payroll services have been enhanced and pay changes have been streamlined and made more efficient
  • Reporting. Can be very messy if the user does not know what they're doing
  • Roles in Workday need more configuration capabilities
Workday is well-suited to bring any company into the 21st century as far as managing your workforce. Would be less appropriate for smaller businesses as the cost/benefit ratio diminishes with fewer employees.
Sarah Ruderman profile photo
February 27, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Workday can Work for you"

I work for a non-profit program housed within the University of Southern California. The entire university uses Workday HCM. In my position, I use Workday HCM in two capacities. Firstly, I use it as an employee and secondly, as a supervisor of other employees. Workday HCM is used for many purposes including benefits, compensation and payroll, employee management, time tracking, hiring and on-boarding. One of the primary business problems Workday HCM enables us to solve is hiring. The system simplifies the hiring process by providing one central location for us to read resumes, respond to applicants, accept or reject candidates and onboard. It also allows for simply time tracking and vacation/ sick time management. Lastly, it solves the individual problem that many employees have of keeping track of paycheck stubs and tax forms; Workday HCM conveniently organizes those documents all in one place.
  • Time tracking-I like the ease of entering time worked and the time off request policies. That system works very well for my colleagues and I am able to revise entries and easily submit it to my supervisor.
  • Organizing pay stubs and tax forms- The payroll feature has been useful to me, I like being able to go back and see past checks. I am also easily able to refer my employees to their pay stubs when they have a question about past compensation.
  • Benefit Management- I am able to view my benefits at any time and make changes when necessary.
  • The messaging features- the way that messages to other colleagues shows up is confusing because I cannot see what was written before the most recent message.
  • The way that Workday HCM displays the "process" of an item (each step of a process such as termination of an employee) is not intuitive.
  • The recruiting- this section could be simplified but overall it is not bad. My main complaint is that if candidates upload a Word document instead of PDF version of their supplemental documents the system does not allow you to preview that document. Instead, it automatically downloads the document to your computer. This is problematic when reviewing a large quantity of resumes because it takes up unnecessary space on my computer.
Workday is well suited for basic employee management, time tracking, and payroll. Recruiting is a bit more difficult because of the many steps required in the process. In order to ensure that the system is as useful to you and your team as possible, I recommend making sure that you have a training for your employees about how to use it before they begin using the system. Once you get used to it, Workday HCM is simple! However, it can be confusing at first if you have never used it. I wouldn't say that this is a downside to the product though, as this is the case with any new technology or software system.
Read Sarah Ruderman's full review
Luke Ferrel profile photo
February 15, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Workday - useful, won't do everything"

We use Workday HCM across the whole organization. It's a very simple to use program. I'm not sure on the implementation since I wasn't around for that portion, but the use is simple. We use HCM to manage our internal organization (promotions/transfers etc). I enjoy it because it does a great job of integrating payroll and position. We also get a good all up view of the organization.
  • Clean interface
  • Easy to move people in organization
  • Links with Pay/Benefits
  • Would love to see an option in Workday to build out scheduling/forecasting. We have tried solving this issue using Humanity and now Pipkins. It would be great to have all this information in one place and not have to go to an external vendor. In the end we went with Pipkins and have been pleased. Humanity was a bust.
I would use workday HCM as your all up personnel system. It's great for a 30K foot view of your organization. If you need to get more granular you will likely need a different solution.
Read Luke Ferrel's full review
Amy Rose Gill profile photo
January 12, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Workday Blows Away Anything in the Market!"

It is being used across the entire organization because every employee uses it, and they can use it while being mobile. HR, finance, and leadership use it for a number of different functions but mainly in making business decisions. It enables their decision making by having a full understanding of their people.
  • Analytics
  • Reporting
  • Self Service
  • Financials
  • Features
  • Tax integrations
Workday is great for any medium size business all the way up to enterprise Fortune 100 companies and across any industry imaginable. Small mom and pop businesses are probably not the best fit to bring Workday into their business to address business needs, it would be way too sophisticated and way too expensive.
Read Amy Rose Gill's full review
Nikki Dettman profile photo
February 06, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Workday pros and cons"

We use workday for HRIS, payroll, benefits and performance evaluation across the organization. It helps to house all of these functions in one place as well as take care of some of the workload being employee self-serve.
  • Reports - they are simple and you can add as much detail as you can think of
  • Self-service address, payment info, benefits - frees up a lot of administrative work
  • Layout - the layout is easy to use and makes sense
  • I would like it to be less complicated when it comes to country or province specific requirements - I don't want to be able to choose another country unless I need to.
  • Very difficult to use on cell phones
  • An area to log conversations or memos
I believe it's best for large companies that require different countries and provinces.
Read Nikki Dettman's full review
February 09, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Workday - Highly Recommend"

Workday is currently used across our entire company. Its primary use within my company is goal tracking, planning, and accountability. Large amounts of employee personal information is also stored there and used as a reference point for them. Workday is introduced to the employee on day one. The largest problem addressed by this program is making yearly/quarterly goals easily accessible, easy to update, and easy to share and reference with your team or supervisor.
  • Employee goal tracking and setting
  • Consolidation of HR related information
  • Adding visibility to the hierarchy and set up of the organization
  • Login ability can be rather "clunky" and un-intuitive
  • For goal setting, the back and forth for approvals can be rather tedious at times
Workday is a great tool if companies want to consolidate the number of platforms they use to keep track of employee related information. The layout of the platform is easy to figure out for first time users and from my own experience, works decently on mobile devices. The tool also offers many ways to create a more visualized layout of the company and teams for those who are new or those who are looking to get a broader image of the people within the organization.
April 11, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "A simpler employee management interface"

Used HCM to track employee payment/compensation information, as well as information for incoming new hire employees. With new employees, we're able to easily and quickly find the applicants submitted materials to be evaluated with their job application. HCM also allows us to watch the time employees work and properly manage their payment and compensation. Then as new years come along, its effortless to provide an employee with their tax information.
  • Employee compensation and benefits are also easy to view within HCM and issue to employees in the software.
  • Easy to observe worker information and keep track of their working time.
  • Easy to review job applications.
  • Interface can be clunky at times.
  • Would like to be able to pre-plan employee schedules and see conflicts.
Really this type of software is good for any type of working office. Universities would probably benefit from this a lot, as having to manage countless faculty, as well as student employees, can be very tedious without a simple system.
March 23, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Workday for HR"

We have converted our LMS over to Workday to house web-based training for the entire company. It is utilized for performance, benefits & compensation, tax information and all other HR functions across HR. Each individual in the organization has access and should use it daily. It does not affect business operations made daily, however the navigation of the system does influence the ease of access associates have to training material.
  • Modern, visually inviting interface - easy to navigate with icons and a clean, simplistic layout.
  • A cloud-based application that creates ease of access to content.
  • The search feature is not streamlined with the content - making it less accessible
  • Applications housed on personal pages are helpful and I encourage more customizable home screens
Workday has been a great tool for users who are actively engaged with modern technology such as social media and will continue to be effective for many users who enjoy the cloud-based system. For those who take some time to get used to less text, more visuals - this is an opportunity to over-communicate when new features are available or if a user has not utilized certain features. Similar to banking sites with pop-ups or intro screens with a "did you know" message on it. Make the site as intuitive as possible.
January 31, 2018

Workday HCM: "Workday Review"

I am in the sales organization and we use it to do expenses, see payslips, see commissions, etc. I think that the rest of the organization uses it as well but I am not positive. It is extremely user-friendly and I am very satisfied with it.
  • Ease of use
  • Everything in one place - manager can approve expenses fast as well
  • Can see my profile from previous jobs within the company as well
  • I really don't have any cons for Workday.
Recommended for employees who have to do expenses monthly as it is extremely fast.
January 18, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Amazing all-in-one software"

Workday HCM is used across the entire organization and has also been used at one of my previous jobs with another company. This software is awesome for all HR and job management in one place. You can easily record goals, keep track of performance reviews, compensation, time off, and so much more. If you're ever wondering about a coworker's contact information or where they fall on the on the reporting chain, it's incredibly easy to look that up. I was at another company that didn't use Workday for things like performance reviews and tracking hours and it was an extremely archaic and slow system that was incredibly frustrating.
  • Performance Tracking
  • Compensation
  • Time Off
  • User Friendly
  • Clean Design
  • Seamless
  • It's only useful if your manager and other co-workers adopt it too, otherwise, it'll be lacking data/functionality.
  • Sometimes some forms or information isn't where you'd think it is, intuitively, so you have to go on a bit of a hunt for it.
  • I frequently get errors or have access issues with small things that are frustrating. You might reload the page and it'll work which is a bit annoying.
Workday Human Capital Management is good for bigger companies that employ a large number of workers. It makes it easy to manage pay, time off, performance, personal information, tax information, etc. all in one place. Other employers I've had, use multiple systems for each of these things, whereas Workday puts all this information in one place. I'd highly recommend it to get all your HR management into one, seamless application.
November 29, 2017

Workday HCM Review: "Workday makes work easy"

The entire organization is using Workday. With multiple types of employees (full- and part-time, permanent, temporary, 10- and 12-month), there was a need for a single, streamlined system that can be grown to meet the ever-changing needs of the university. The transition to the system for the end users was somewhat stress-free, and the option to sign in remotely or through a mobile device made the overall acceptance of this new system extremely high.

• The mobile feature is superior. Little if any issues have been reported on this feature and it is very intuitive.
  • The ability to manage different types of employees in unique situations is handled with simplicity and focus. There are enough options and customizations in the system to allow for various needs.
  • Some of the processes are not necessarily easy to interpret, such as the difference in screens when looking at an overview of an employee. But, this comes with using the system.
In my current environment, there is a multitude of employee types: full time, part time, two different unions, student workers, temporary workers, permanent employees, 10 or 12-month staff, management, etc. Each of these types of employees has their own needs and their own processes for recording and being awarded time. With just so many different needs, Workday has been able to meet the specific requirements of each group while staying standardized so that the training and support staffs can easily assist the end users.
March 14, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Workday...the good and the bad!"

Workday is currently used at our company for expense reimbursement, managing and submitting PTO requests, managing and creating yearly employee goals, and leveraging it for the organizational structure at the company (i.e. who works under whom etc.). It is being used across the entire organization.
  • I think the org structure is particularly helpful, especially since it is not available anywhere else at our firm.
  • PTO requests are fairly easy to submit and manage.
  • I also enjoy the B-Day feature, especially in a Management role. This can be used to keep a good working culture.
  • I don't enjoy the expense reimbursement piece of Workday. Previously I used Concur, and I thought that solution that was easier to Manage and less manual. I liked the expense dilution piece of the program, as you put more clients into the expense report, it would dilute the overall per head expense. I also thought inputting clients into Concur was a bit easier and much easier to pull up once submitted for future expense reports.
  • I also didn't enjoy submitting goals on behalf of direct reports. It seemed like that piece of the program did not work at all. I submitted the expenses and they still seemed to be in a draft type mode. This was my least favorite piece of the program.
It is great from an org framework and PTO submission perspective. I also enjoy the B-Day feature so you can keep track of that as it relates to your direct reports. It was also nice that it had employee compensation for your direct reports. I did not like the expense reimbursement and goal portion of the program.
February 14, 2018

Workday HCM Review: "Great for interactive learners"

One of the best things about this resource is how it makes it easy to enforce new and ever-changing company policies and processes. It helps to keep processes customizable per what your company needs.
  • Customizable
  • Easy to navigate
  • Lots of demos and hands on learning
  • While great for kinesistic learners may not be as compatible for other types of learners like auditory learners.
This is a great tool for established companies who have fluid or rapidly changing policies they need to keep up to date. Also could be great for start ups that are quickly ramping up.
Nathan Duncan profile photo
October 30, 2017

"Workday HCM Review"

Workday is used by the entire organization to track time off, post internal jobs, view incentives and enroll in benefits. It is a great one-stop-shop for employees to use for HR purposes. We recently moved our job postings into Workday and I have found it to be easier to view than the previous application.
  • Employees can easily track and manage their time off.
  • Job postings are easy to see and apply to.
  • Employees' benefits are accessible and easy to research in Workday.
  • There is a lot of clicking around involved. Everything is a new window.
Workday is a good tool for larger businesses that have a lot of employees to manage. It is a good tool for both the employer and the employee. It allows employees to have clear visibility into their benefits. It also is a good place to house your internal job board.
Read Nathan Duncan's full review
Matt Ding profile photo
September 21, 2017

Workday HCM Review: "WorkDay vs. the rest"

The client implemented HCM, Time and Attendance two years ago, and will bring up Benefits this month.
  • Time tracking
  • Work Flow, manager approval
  • Interfacing with an external payroll system
  • It takes a long time to run some of the reports, sometimes days.
  • Limited number of data sources to selected from for report.
  • Difficult to customize & add bolt on.
  • Reduce IT budget
  • HCM policy conforms to industry standards
  • Fewer changes
Read Matt Ding's full review
October 24, 2017

Workday HCM Review: "Workday provides more time to get work done."

Workday HCM was purchased to replace the HCM, benefits, compensation, and time-tracking modules of ADP WFN. Our organization had a low self-service user rate for both managers and individual contributors. In order, to be a more agile company it was imperative we had a system that allowed leaders and employees flexibility and ease of use to complete mundane HR tasks to more critical events, such as performance reviews and the annual focal point review.
  • Offers a vast amount of stock reports that help meet HR Compliance needs.
  • Mobile access, which allows employees to take ownership of updating their records.
  • Workday's configurable model allows our organization to set up clear and efficient business processes to help create best practice processes for job changes, merit, bonus, and development.
  • Workday should offer more training to new users through Workday Community that is basic in nature and not a part of the purchased training package.
  • More flexibility for Company branding on subpages.
Workday is great for large companies that are tech savvy. If your company is bogged down with data warehouses and misplaced ownership of people data (within IT) then Workday is a product that will transform your organization and HR/Financial processes. This product is also a great motivator for a more engaged manager as they can handle hiring, life cycle events, performance/development, and exits within one system.
July 27, 2017

Workday HCM Review: "Workday is the Best!!!"

Since our implementation Workday has replaced a minimum of 6 different HR applications and streamlined countless processes. It is easy to use and from an administrator's perspective a dream to work with. I have over 20 years in the industry and I have never used a system that could address every situation that is thrown at it with ease. The employees love the intuitive design of the product and the consistency of the features across the modules.
  • The system is never down.
  • Upgrades are effortless.
  • There is a blog like site called community where Workday and users post topical questions and documentation about the tool that is second to none and the knowledge that is shared is AMAZING!!!
  • Some additional report very advanced training options would be welcomed
Workday is costly, so it is inaccessible to small organizations, but very well suited to large and even medium organizations, especially those that are global.
June 13, 2017

Workday HCM Review: "I like Workday - I want more of it."

Workday is being used to track our employees by supervisors and cost centers. We are thinking about implementing the recruiting function and utilizing the analytics for recruiting purposes (past employers, universities, outside organization affiliations...) but have not purchased that function as of yet. Right now we use it for tracking when I think it could be used for so much more.
  • Workday is visually appealing. I enjoy working in Workday.
  • Workday is intuitive and guides you through the process.
  • The administrators are able to fix problems quickly.
  • Workday can be slow at times and will just shut down when overused.
  • The permissions are not easily fixed manually.
  • The trainers are not knowledgeable about the product and are not very helpful.
Well suited in an environment that embraces intuitive technology.
September 27, 2017

Workday HCM Review: "Nice Software"

It is used by all members of the organization for annual enrollment, as well as monitoring throughout the year. HR probably uses the software more extensively.
  • Easy to follow during open enrollment
  • Easy to review your elections at any point
  • Allows a way to track your progress through the recruiting process
Works well for recruiting and for benefit enrollment.
Jason Fisher, PHR/SHRM-CP profile photo
March 16, 2017

Workday HCM Review: "Workday Works!"

We use all the basic functions of Workday Human Capital Management and just recently added the payroll module. This replaced ADP. We are looking to also use the onboarding module and link to our SmartRecruiters ATS.
  • Employee self-serve was hard culturally to get going but has reduced some of the tasks done by our payroll and admin groups.
  • Not hard to train. Our users were able to grasp and use Workday fairly quickly.
  • Time and attendance are much easier to track and maintain with Workday. Plus we are much more compliant.
  • Updates to the system don't come as frequently as one would want.
  • Although training is easy, the system is not intuitive, meaning you can't just turn it on and let folks learn on their own. There is a learning curve.
It is not a perfect system but certainly is a very good one. Implementation took sometime and we used a third party vendor (TPV) to assist us. Lots of work up front but it is worth it to make system work for you.
Read Jason Fisher, PHR/SHRM-CP's full review
April 13, 2017

Workday HCM Review: "Workday makes my day easier, every day,"

Workday is used across our organization. Employees use it for "self-service" such as entering their hours works, requesting vacation days, making benefit elections and viewing paystubs. Managers use it to view their teams, approve compensation and job changes, and hire and terminate employees. Human Resources uses it as our system of record for all employee data- personal information, job information, location, compensation, benefits. And we use it to run reports based on all of that data.
  • Reporting- this is a huge aspect for me. I can customize reports and create my own "calculated fields" to quickly pull out any information from the system that I need. The reports can then be automated to run on a set schedule so they are there waiting for you when you need them.
  • User friendly interface- our employees are using this system on a daily basis so it is important for it to be user friendly. I think Workday does a good job making their setup very intuitive and easy to use
  • Community- Workday has a "community" website where other users post questions and answers. I have found it to be very helpful to get feedback from the Workday experts and other users.
  • This is very specific, but I wish there was a way to search by a field and see which reports are using that field. For example, if I want to see how many direct reports each of our managers have. I know I have a field called "Number of Direct Reports" but I can't remember which reports I have used that field in, so I end up having to create a brand new report.
  • I do wish some of the larger reports would run faster. I sometimes end up having to come back later to get the results.
  • The formatting of email notifications could be better. They come in plain text emails which are hard to read.
I always recommend Workday to others, mainly because the reporting makes my life so much easier. I think any large company with a significant amount of HR data to track would benefit from Workday. The implementation process is a significant time commitment so it may not be worth it for smaller companies who have other ways of tracking information.

Employee demographic data (38)
Employment history (42)
Job profiles and administration (42)
Workflow for transfers, promotions, pay raises, etc. (43)
Organizational charting (42)
Organization and location management (42)
Compliance data (COBRA, OSHA, etc.) (30)
Pay calculation (30)
Support for external payroll vendors (26)
Benefit plan administration (29)
Direct deposit files (31)
Salary revision and increment management (31)
Reimbursement management (21)
Approval workflow (36)
Balance details (35)
Annual carry-forward and encashment (30)
View and generate pay and benefit information (39)
9.2
Update personal information (42)
9.2
View company policy documentation (33)
Employee recognition (26)
View job history (35)
Tracking of all physical assets (11)
Report builder (35)
Pre-built reports (36)
Ability to combine HR data with external data (29)
New hire portal (24)
Manager tracking tools (24)
Corporate goal setting (20)
Individual goal setting (23)
Line-of sight-visibility (19)
Performance tracking (22)
Performance plans (23)
Performance improvement plans (20)
Review status tracking (20)
Review reminders (21)
Multiple review frequency (19)
Create succession plans/pools (14)
Candidate ranking (13)
Candidate search (14)
Candidate development (13)
Job Requisition Management (17)
Company Website Posting (14)
Publish to Social Media (14)
Job Search Site Posting (15)
Duplicate Candidate Prevention (16)
Applicant Tracking (15)
Notifications and Alerts (17)

About Workday HCM

Workday Human Capital Management is built as a single system with a single source of data, single security model, and single user experience. Workday offers organizations a cloud-based system that evolves to meet changing business needs today and into the future. The user-friendly, global system also ensures that customers are always on the latest version with up-to-date capabilities, whether they’re using Workday on a browser or mobile device. Workday HCM is part of a single system with other Workday products including Workday Financial Management, Workday Payroll (for the U.S., Canada, France, and the UK), Workday Recruiting, Workday Learning, Workday Planning, and more.

Key product areas:

Workday HCM Features

Human Resource Management Features
Has featureEmployee demographic data
Has featureEmployment history
Has featureJob profiles and administration
Has featureWorkflow for transfers, promotions, pay raises, etc.
Has featureBenefits information
Has featureOrganizational charting
Has featureOrganization and location management
Has featureCompliance data (COBRA, OSHA, etc.)
Payroll Management Features
Has featurePay calculation
Has featureSupport for external payroll vendors
Has featureOff-cycle checks
Has featurePayroll history for each employee
Has featureBenefit plan administration
Has featureDirect deposit files
Has featurePayroll tracking and auditing
Has featureSalary revision and increment management
Has featureReimbursement management
Has featureStatutory form management
Leave and Attendance Management Features
Has featureApproval workflow
Has featureEmail notifications
Has featureBalance details
Has featureTravel absence management
Has featureAnnual carry-forward and encashment
Employee Self Service Features
Has featureEmployee login
Has featureView and generate pay and benefit information
Has featureUpdate personal information
Has featureRequest time off
Has featureView job history
Has featureView company policy documentation
Has featureView company news and information
Has featureEmployee recognition
Asset Management Features
Has featureTracking of all physical assets
Does not have featureAsset issue and transfer management
Does not have featureAsset return
Does not have featureWarranty and after-sales status maintenance contract tracking
HR Reporting Features
Has featureReport builder
Has featurePre-built reports
Has featureAbility to combine HR data with external data
Integration with other HR capabilities Features
Has featureAdditional HR capabilities (talent management, LMS, etc.) supplied by same vendor
Has featureAdditional HR capabilities (talent management, LMS, etc.) supplied by different vendor
Performance Management Features