- It's web based. No need to install any desktop clients on your machine to use platfora.
- It's best suited for a big data Hadoop environment. I can rate it as the #1 BI tool for a big data hadoop environment.
- Platfora follows kind of the same architecture as Hadoop architecture like Master and Slave architecture. It scales with the data volumes.
- Querying data is very good and very fast. (Platfora Lens)
- Client presentation wise it's good. You can get different kinds of graphs.
- Platfora almost supports everything on Big Data technologies including file formats, compression etc.
- Security is not compromised and it can deal in parallel with any Hadoop distributor security implementations. Just take an example of Knox on Hortonworks, so it will deal with that and cloudera , MapR
- Its very easily understandable and for the new people who wants to try platfora, learning curve is low
- You can create your own datasets in platfora. You can store your results as a dataset in platfora and can share across
- Data Movement - Data needs to be moved from Hadoop to Platfora to create Platfora Lens and to do analytics.
- To support Data movement, infrastructure cost is high.
- To support data movement, network bandwidth consumption is high.
- No trial versions for companies to evaluate.
If any client is seriously looking for a BI tool on Hadoop and doesn’t want to compromise with any technology barriers with Hadoop such as security, compressions, formats etc., I recommend platfora for them. If clients are not dealing with big data then I don't recommend this tool.
It’s a great tool to do quantitative, time series analysis and data science.