Score 8.9 out of 10

What is WP Engine?

WP Engine is a website hosting service built to host WordPress for companies of any size, with features such as daily backups, firewall,SSL, and proprietary caching technology.

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of WP Engine, and make your voice heard!

Startup

Growth

Scale

*Per Month

Starting price (does not include set up fee)

• $29 per month

What is WP Engine?

WP Engine is a fully-managed WordPress hosted solution. One of its main features is the capability to create a staging site. It also offers curated recommendations for plugins and themes. Hosting through WP Engine delivers Wordpress along with extra security features and curation of plugins and themes for help with site optimization; also EverCache Technology, the WP Engine custom-built caching technology to speed the delivery of content.

Pricing for hosting starts at $29 for a personal site (10GB of local storage, unlimited data transfer with up to 25k visits per month, $99 for Professional hosting services (10 WP installs, 10k visits per month, and 20GB of local storage), $249 for Business hosting (25WP installs, 400k visits per month and 30GB of storage), and the custom-tailored Enterprise level. A 60-day trial is available, during which a refund may be requested if the user is not happy with the hosting service.

WP Engine Video

Visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIMFnHmRB5M to watch WP Engine video.

WP Engine Technical Details

Deployment TypesSoftware as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based

WP Engine starts at $29.

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 7.7.

The most common users of WP Engine are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees).

Thomas Petty | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Combining Cloudflare with the WP Engine platform as well as their anti-hacker tools as well as my own has meant that none of my clients have ever been hacked. This is critical for my clients.
  • WP Engine allows us to provide unparalleled website functionality to our clients for a low cost.
  • Because of the WordPress platform, we can create a site and then transfer management to our clients.
  • Using built-in WordPress APIs, we can integrate with 3rd party vendors and automate our client's order import, saving thousands on EDI fees.
  • Positive: We've been able to scale up more easily as adding new sites has been easier.
  • Positive: The load speed improvements we saw were immediate and have not let up.
  • Negative: Adding advanced security and other tools to a multiple sites is expensive.
Josh Peichoto | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Decreased load times, resulting in higher conversions.
  • Ability to quickly restore a site if a problem occurs with any of our dynamic content integrations—less downtime.
Gordon Seirup | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Substantial lost time. After my "You have failed me for the last time" moment with WP Engine, I spent the week of October 22nd, 2018 migrating all our client sites to Kinsta - an emerging leader in Managed WordPress hosting.
  • Untold losses in unrealized revenue based on poor site performance.
  • Untold losses in brand damage to multiple clients whose sites were compromised.
  • We pay a good amount monthly for WP Engine, but we feel like we net positive financial and time results because of the support and pricing. We make sure to structure our accounts in a way that WP Engine is definitely a benefit to our organization and to the client.
  • The math is simple for us. We charge our clients more than what we pay and everyone is happy. The peace of mind of the support is almost immeasurable in strictly financial terms, but a huge boost for our organization.
  • Their free Let's Encrypt SSLs helped us to catch up to Google's SSL push of 2017/2018 and makes it easy for us to check off the security box for our clients.
Alec Dibble | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • It has saved me & my clients countless development and operational hours by utilizing the backup feature alone. There have been many instances where we saved a lot of time and headache by being able to rollback mistakes.
  • The built-in tools like caching & CDN that speed up the page load are very valuable for getting production-ready websites up quickly. On other hosts, manually setting up the cache & CDN can take many hours if configuration issues arise.
  • Being able to easily create seperate environments (like staging & dev) reduces the logistics & communication required when multiple end users are editing the site for a launch. All changes can go on the staging server, and then get "pushed" to production once everything has been tested.
  • WP Engine's focus on speed helps us maintain a competitive advantage over our competitors, since we don't have to spend as much time optimizing WordPress.
  • We use our marketing websites as lead generation tools, so speed and reliability are two of the more important factors for all of our websites.
Peter Filias | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Overall, since switching the site we run to WP Engine, we've seen increased conversions. We believe this has to do with the performance.
  • We have spent less developer time trying to find fixes to a few issues we ran into.
  • Because of less support time on our end, we've been able to focus more on marketing the business.
Will Paccione | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • When we have clients that pay for other monthly services with us, we put them on our WPEngine server because we want to make sure they have the best experience when they're with us as well as their websites getting the best results possible.
  • We are an affiliate, but don't really use it much since a one-off website won't make much financial sense for a brand new business owner who is trying to bootstrap their business.
Eric Mann | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • WP Engine keeps our site running, meaning we have more time available to produce payable work.
  • In at least one situation, an engineer who didn't understand WordPress stored a file in the wrong directory on the server and an automated update from WP Engine purged the file. It took us several hours to figure out what had gone wrong and to recover the missing file on our end. I would have preferred if putting files in the wrong place were impossible to begin with as that would have saved us time and effort.
Tim Colling | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Although I cannot calculate a precise ROI number, I can certainly say that their reliability and speed have made them one of my "set it and forget it" tools - which for my work, is a very good thing.
  • They have saved me a lot of time when I need to do something I have not done before because I can call their support engineers and ask questions and ask for input on the approach that I'm considering.