Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugins Reviews

December 05, 2019
Christopher Boyd | TrustRadius Reviewer
I implement Yoast as the de facto SEO plugin on various WordPress sites that I manage. Whereas it isn't necessarily the best SEO tool in any one area, it has proven to be the simplest to set up and for my non-technical clients to make use of. Overall, it serves as the best all-around SEO WordPress plugin. In most cases, I set it and forget it and only when new features come out or when a client wants to deploy an overall change to their SEO strategy do I even need to make changes to the plugin.
  • Evaluate the SEO score of any given page's content.
  • Makes it simple to manage the title and description for a page (what shows up on Google search results).
  • Boils down complicated topics such as canonical URLs for non-technical users.
  • Easy explanations for any and all options, including why to use or not use an option.
  • Some default options are the opposite of what is considered a "best practice".
  • The differences between the free tier and the pro tier are explained, but for non-technical users, it still isn't always clear.
For quick WordPress installations and configurations, Yoast is fast to set up and helps guide you through the common configuration options. It tries to be helpful whether you are coming at things from a technical or non-technical background. The emphasis on white hat SEO topics like improved content, keywords, descriptions, and titles is really appreciated by someone like me who doesn't utilize gray and black hat SEO tactics.
If you are an SEO expert, and you want finite control of each individual aspect of your site, Yoast, like most plugins, engines, tools, etc, hides a lot from you or gives you limited options. It really is meant for someone who wants to apply a general strategy to a whole site. That being said, you can manage Yoast per page on a WordPress site, but even then, I know some SEO experts prefer other tools that are meant for very specific purposes.
Overall, Yoast is the best plugin for SEO in WordPress when applied as a whole.
I've never used Yoast WordPress SEO support, so I can't speak to it. However, it is regularly updated and maintained and I feel that NOT having to reach out to support says something about the quality of the product and the ease of use, both for technical and non-technical users.
Read Christopher Boyd's full review
Michelle Green Arnson | TrustRadius Reviewer
The Yoast SEO Plugin for WordPress helps us make all of our web content more searchable- and findable- by making it super simple to optimize every post and page. The ability to audit new and existing content in real-time and get concrete suggestions on ways to improve our SEO makes it easy to keep up with ever-changing best practices.
  • SEO Analysis: This is the best. As you create content, you get a real-time audit of what you're doing right and, more importantly, what you need to fix in order to make that content as optimized as possible.
  • Set up wizard: Once Yoast is installed, their wizard helps ensure it can get to work immediately at making your website more Google-able. Could not be simpler.
  • Free training: Just getting started with SEO or Yoast? They have free training videos that make it so easy to get up to speed and start optimizing your content.
  • Density: Because even the free, basic Yoast SEO tool has SO MANY FEATURES, if you're brand new to SEO as a concept/practice, you might feel a little overwhelmed at first. Just go watch the training videos!
  • Bulk Title Editing: I'm sure this tool can be useful, but I've never found it to be particularly intuitive or helpful.
  • Limitations: I'm grasping at straws here, but it would be nice if some of the premium (paid) features- specifically the social media previews- were available in the free version. Like I said, grasping.
The Yoast WordPress SEO Plugin has been ideal for our small shop. In designing a new website, we got lots of expert advice on how to structure it to be SEO friendly in its launch state, but there's no way we could pay the pros to continually optimize all of our new content day after day, month after month, year after year. Fortunately, our pros included the Yoast SEO plugin with our new WordPress site and gave us a quick and dirty tutorial before handing it all over. The free plugin has allowed us to make our content super SEO-friendly without taking up a dime of our nonprofit budget.
There's lots of guidance within the plugin settings, and within the plugin tool on each page or post, and did I mention the training videos already? The makers of Yoast are pretty great at anticipating where questions will come up and trying to answer them quickly and clearly. I'm really not sure how they could make it any easier to use or benefit from.
Read Michelle Green Arnson's full review
Victoria Hoete-Dodd | TrustRadius Reviewer
Currently, Yoast SEO Premium is used to help make it easy to quickly make adjustments to blog articles before publishing to ensure they are as optimized as possible. The other great use is the simple redirect tool which automatically detects and creates when a URL has been changed - this is a great feature, particularly at times when you are doing multiple tasks and may forget to go back and set one up!
  • Readability - makes it easy for you to assess the reading level of your piece to ensure it is correct for your intended audience.
  • SEO tips - red/orange/green traffic light system to provide tips on what aspects need improving to be SEO-focussed.
  • Redirect tool - easy, automated detection and setup.
  • Internal link counter - tool failed with other plugin capability and the "help" desk haven't actually helped...
  • Customer service/support - only offered for those who pay for a subscription but even when you have one they aren't exactly helpful (in my experience).
  • SEO notifications - it would be great to be able to specify which pages you want these for as currently, we get hundreds for irrelevant pages.
When the Internal link counter was working it was brilliant! Perhaps one of the features I utilized the most. It was a simple way to find orphaned posts and resolve that. However, the tool subsequently failed when the plugin was updated and I was told the problem was with other plugin capability and the "help" desk hasn't actually helped solve the issue. So - useful if it works!
There are plenty of amazing articles published on their site, however, I don't rate their actual support team as being particularly helpful. I made multiple points of contact regarding the internal link counter not working and even though they began troubleshooting I think when it became too hard it was just forgotten about and so is still unresolved.
Read Victoria Hoete-Dodd's full review
February 26, 2020
Bryan Hume | TrustRadius Reviewer
Yoast is being used by our Marketing department to optimize blog posts and news updates. By knowing whether our posts are SEO-friendly or not, we are able to get closer to our target audience with more efficiency and data to support it. It also fits into our culture of powerful simplicity.
  • Attract more visitors to blog posts.
  • Simple and approachable SEO strategies.
  • Not a complete SEO solution: There is always more you can do to improve your SEO strategies.
  • Vague data: Sometimes it can be hard to make Yoast "happy" when trying to correct errors on posts.
Yoast is the go-to plugin for WordPress users and businesses that want to tackle SEO with confidence. It is simple, accessible, and consistently improves SEO on the sites we build. Being able to see the "happy" icon when you've successfully optimized posts gives powerful clarity for small and large businesses alike. I've used the tool for both enterprise-level companies and small operations as well.
Although I have not personally worked with Yoast support directly, they offer 24/7 support with Yoast Premium which gives peace of mind as we move forward. In addition, they offer free support forums and are also accessible by email if we ever have any issues. However, we are lucky that the plugin works incredibly well.
Read Bryan Hume's full review
February 17, 2020
NaveenKumar Namachivayam | TrustRadius Reviewer
Yoast fulfills the need of search engine optimization. It integrates with WordPress and quite easy to get started. It helps me to attract the organic traffic from the internet search engines like Google, Bing, etc. It also helps to keep structured and organized content throughout the blog. Search engine algorithm often changes, but with Yoast plugin, no need to worry it.
  • Keyword optimization.
  • Quick indexing.
  • Expensive.
  • Social media previews are limited.
For freelancers, bloggers, the free version of Yoast might be very useful. If you are a beginner, Yoast is a good plugin to get started with your search engine optimization. It gels with WordPress well and it comes with the wizard to set up and get started. You can also generate site map.
Very responsive, frequent updates, large community, and the training videos are quite useful. Wizard makes the setup easy.
Read NaveenKumar Namachivayam's full review
February 04, 2020
Jeff Smith | TrustRadius Reviewer
I run a small SEO agency. If a client has their site on WordPress then they have Yoast Premium, at the least, running on the site. For our clients that are geo-located, we also run Yoast Local. Yoast makes managing a site much easier. In fact, Yoast has become so robust that we almost consider it more of a platform than just a plug-in. Managing URLs, the interlinking suggestions, the ability to have some control over SERPs and now with the structured markup it is capable of it, would be hard to live without. The other really nice thing about Yoast is they have very good training when it comes to the use of the plug-in.
  • Yoast does a great job of managing many of the back-end functions in WordPress. Especially when it comes to handling things like the robots.txt and xml.sitemaps. But this is just the beginning of what Yoast can do.
  • One key feature is the ability to do 301's and 410's right in Yoast. This is really helpful when re-designing a site.
  • I have quite a few Yoast products in my account. One thing I have found with the Yoast Web Dashboard is that it can at times be a bit confusing as to which Lic is associated with which site. Not a huge deal but can be a little frustrating
  • One thing Yoast needs to do at the moment is to figure out what to do with the "Search Console" menu choice in the plugin. that area for the moment is broken due to the loss of a Google API.
As far as our company is concerned, if a site is running on WordPress then it has Yoast running. From a technical standpoint, WordPress can get a bit out of control if not managed properly. Yoast does a good job of keeping many of these areas from getting out of hand. And if you are really working on your on-site SEO, then Yoast can be a great help in making sure that your content is up to today's best practices. As Yoast has matured over the years it has become a decent writing tool, not just for the SERP elements but for the overall content as well. It is an excellent tool.

About the only situation that I can think of where Yoast is not appropriate is a site that is not on WordPress.
I have found Yoast's support to be excellent. So the rating of 10 that I have given Yoast comes from years of first-hand experience. It has not mattered which department that I have requested support from, billing or technical support, they have both been great to work with. They are timely and from the responses that I have always received, they take the time to read and answer questions in detail.
Read Jeff Smith's full review
January 17, 2020
David Hoffman | TrustRadius Reviewer
Because of regulations within our industry, we aren't allowed to do very much in terms of outbound marketing. That being said, a good portion of our new business relies solely on prospects finding us, becoming interested, and passing our pre-qualification checks. In addition, because our company name is fairly common, with some examples even operating within our industry, having good SEO practices in place equates to survival. Yoast is integrated within our Wordpress installation (managed by myself and accessed by one other user within marketing), and its automatic checks and ratings for page/content scoring have proven invaluable as we continue to create and organize educational content within the different verticals on our website and educational portal.
  • Content assistance - Focus keyword reports, content insights, and Yoast's active content checker have been incredibly helpful as we continue to produce new content and refresh old content.
  • Redirect manager and technical configuration - An organized and regularly-updated site structure is crucial for ensuring an effective behavior flow throughout our website and educational portal. Yoast helped us avoid crawler confusion by updating our link structure and removing orphan links, deleted pages, and content pages that had been moved and/or consolidated.
  • Conflicts with other plugins - Occasionally, Yoast is the number one enemy of site optimization plugins and has caused the site to crash a small handful of times when updates are mismatched. It's also fairly resource-heavy, which can present some issues for developers/admins looking for a lean Wordpress install.
Any company that has a web presence should not only be dedicated to and focused on SEO practices, but should also have a tool like Yoast in their arsenal. It's easy to set up (a few clicks), easy to manage, and the benefit it provides is worth far more than the price. Yoast is basically like an SEO consultant that works for free, and that's great for smaller businesses that don't always have the budget for dedicated help.
With premium, the support is, at times, nearly instantaneous. My only experiences contacting support occurred when plugin conflicts arose, but the team was incredibly helpful in checking logs and diagnosing the issue, even providing a viable solution to allow us to continue using our site optimization plugin alongside it. Very impressed!
Read David Hoffman's full review
January 15, 2020
Jim Nelson | TrustRadius Reviewer
We migrated all our WordPress websites to using Yoast WordPress SEO Plugins to help improve SEO for all posts and pages. I host 1500+ blogs on the Tripawds multisite network and make the plugin available to all members who wish to implement SEO on their blogs. The Yoast WordPress SEO Plugins scoring system allows us to optimize key phrases and content efficiently.
  • The Yoast WordPress SEO Plugins Score is beneficial for optimizing key phrases and content.
  • Yoast WordPress SEO Plugins Analysis and ranking provides expert direction for optimization.
  • Import of previous SEO plugin keywords did work as expected.
  • The Yoast Readability highlighting feature does not always work due to specific plugin conflicts.
I highly recommend Yoast WordPress SEO Plugins Premium for its ease of use and built-in rank scoring system for optimizing keyphrases and content. Yoast WordPress SEO Plugins is especially helpful for those with limited understanding of optimization thanks to its wizard interface and "green light" SEO score feature. I never rate any product a service as 10 out of 10 except in extreme cases of superior functionality and customer service.
I have not yet had to request much technical support for the Yoast WordPress SEO Plugins. The documentation and learning library Yoast WordPress SEO Plugins provides is extensive and very helpful for both configuring the plugin and finding answers to questions about best use practices. Yoast WordPress SEO Plugins also offers many useful tutorial videos for those unfamiliar with SEO.
Read Jim Nelson's full review
January 06, 2020
Maddy Osman | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Yoast on every website I build and the vast majority of the blogs I write for. Yoast makes it easy to ensure that you're doing everything in your power to optimize for a given keyword (or multiple keywords), as well as cover your bases regarding related onsite SEO best practices. If you have a WordPress blog, you need Yoast. Best of all, the basic plugin is completely free to use!
  • Useful readability checker with feedback.
  • User-friendly interface for editing meta data.
  • Readability checker could get more specific (like Grammarly).
  • It's hard to understand the difference between premium plugin offerings (like Yoast SEO Premium versus the WooCommerce SEO plugin).
If you have a WordPress website/blog, you really need some type of SEO plugin and Yoast is the best one on the market. If you're not optimizing for SEO, you're missing out on relevant organic traffic.
I've never had any issues finding resolution via Yoast's support team.
Read Maddy Osman's full review
December 30, 2019
Dragan Nikolic | TrustRadius Reviewer
Yoast WordPress SEO plugin is what we install on every WordPress website we maintain. It makes the websites SEO friendly and easy to configure in terms of titles, meta descriptions, visibility, Schema.org, robots.txt and sitemaps, taxonomies...which roughly translates to Onsite and Technical SEO.

It takes care of several key things that WordPress doesn't do well upon clean install.
  • Onsite SEO (titles, descriptions, content analysis...)
  • Technical SEO (breadcrumbs, robots, sitemaps, Schema.org)
  • UI (it doesn't use standard WordPress dashboard elements or design language and it should).
  • Marketing (it should slow down with ads).
Yoast WordPress SEO plugin fixes several key things when it comes to WordPress websites. It handles taxonomies and prevents duplicate content issue. It is good if you want to improve your content marketing as it analyzes the content and suggests improvements. It handles technical SEO issues in the background so your sitemaps and Schema.org markup is taken care of upon installation.

If you're looking for a solid SEO plugin, this is the one to have, but don't update it the second new releases comes out, because it can be buggy.

Yoast SEO premium has a, well, premium support. While you can also do well with a free version of the plugin, the support is not at the same level. It's difficult to maintain the plugin that's been downloaded and installed on more than 1M websites.

I dislike how the plugin now tries to incorporate a whole lot of new features and it's becoming cumbersome. It also uses a lot of resources, but it's the best one out there, so I guess I have to deal with that.
Read Dragan Nikolic's full review
Rene Agredano | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use it for my business blogging needs at Tripawds.com. We are on a WordPress Multisite platform and we use Yoast for five featured blogs.

I also use it in my freelance blogging assignments on various websites.

In all cases, it has helped us achieve better visibility as bloggers, and refined our writing into a more concise and SEO-friendly format.
  • Improves writing skills. By helping to identify long sentences and passive tone, our writing has improved by leaps and bounds. This applies to print writing assignments as well.
  • Points out important article features we may have overlooked. By telling us when we have forgotten to apply photo credits, internal links, etc., we set our articles up for greater visibility on the web.
  • Helped us achieve better page rank with Google. When our blog rankings fell to disappointing levels, we installed Yoast and quickly saw a return to previous rankings. Although we still need to go back and refresh pre-Yoast content, we are still much better off than we were without it.
  • Yoast does not account for scholarly or technical language. I wish there was a way to identify what type of tone the article will have (such as when uploading an article to Grammarly.com).
  • I wish Yoast could also make it easier to refresh old content with SEO-friendly features, though I'm guessing this is probably impossible.
  • Yoast's "Ease of Reading" feature is helpful but sometimes I feel it's forcing me to write to a lowest common denominator, whichy my community is not.
As a blogger, Yoast WordPress SEO is fantastic for helping our posts achieve higher rankings. And as I mentioned, it's helped us become better writers for the web and print. Any blogger, on any platform, can benefit from Yoast.

Yoast is less appropriate for academic and scientific blog writing. By trying to adhere to its recommendations, I feel that it dumbs down our articles and makes us less credible. When I write these types of articles, I tend to blow off many of the Yoast recommendations.
Yoast support is so good, we haven't needed to use any of it other than the built-in help guides and informational icon sections while writing blog posts. I do find the newsletter to be helpful (it's one of the few I actually open) and the free educational videos. In the future, we plan on investing in more Yoast online training.
Read Rene Agredano's full review
November 15, 2019
Ayo Bamgbose, Assoc CIPD, MSc | TrustRadius Reviewer
Yoast SEO is a popular WordPress plugin that helps websites to rank higher in various search engines. I started using the plugin back in 2016, as it was a free tool recommended for beginners and said to be easy to get started with. Yoast is the only tool I currently use to help optimize blog post content, images, and for social integrations.
  • Free plan: for startups not yet ready to invest in an SEO tool, Yoast provides a free option with plenty of useful features.
  • Insights and analytics: Yoast provides a useful comprehensive analysis with the use of meta descriptions, keywords, and post length.
  • It's useful in helping to customize the text snippets when blog posts are shared from the website to Facebook and LinkedIn.
  • Lack of useful tutorials and tips on how to improve scores.
  • We've found that it frequently marks down scores due to passive voice assumptions, even though you might not have spoken with a passive voice.
  • I've found that at times it can slow down my site.
  • For it to truly help with SEO, you’ll need the advanced premium features.
The free Yoast SEO version is what I would only recommend to those interested in getting started with optimizing their website images and blog content.
For those that truly want to improve the visibility of their website in search engines, I would suggest an investment in the premium plan, as it offers plenty of integrations and features.
For those who create and embed video content on their website, the premium feature is a must, as you can SEO your videos with advanced add-ons with Yoast.
I haven’t had to request direct support from Yoast, and instead prefer to seek out useful resources and video how-to to help me when I get stuck. On the Yoast website, it provides resources, but I found them unclear and not that very useful in explaining things in much more simpler terms. This is why a I had to mark it down, as I think their resources need updating with video tutorials.
Read Ayo Bamgbose, Assoc CIPD, MSc's full review
December 13, 2019
SEO is a buzzword that's been around for a while. For many, it's this elusive mysterious thing, that businesses have heard of and should be doing, but many don't know how to implement. This is especially true, in my experience at small companies, that don't have a dedicated SEO specialist. Enter Yoast WordPress SEO. This plugin makes it easy to identify SEO problem spots on your website.
  • It is extremely easy to use. You don't have to be an SEO expert to make improvements to your site.
  • There are multiple price levels of service. This makes it affordable for businesses.
  • Yoast WordPress SEO plugin doesn't take formatting into consideration. The plugin often suggests that I don't have enough transition words in my text. With multiple paragraphs, text divided into columns taking that suggestion would read strangely.
If you are getting started with keyword and SEO research and writing, this is a great start. It checks every page, and leave you notice of what is good and what needs improvement. Even if you are not new to SEO this is a good program to use.
I haven't needed to contact their support team. It does what we want, and the plugin has never given us any problems. That is a great rating.
December 04, 2019
We use it on most of our online magazines. Even though we don't really need SEO as part of our business model, the readability score, etc. are rather important for actual users as well. We trust that the developing algorithms help us create better content and increase our revenue.
  • Color coded signals for rating content
  • Previews of the content in Google
  • We don't use it enough to have problems with it. What we use is perfect.
We are building an informational website as a side project and create content there in our free time. We can't afford to go wrong there, because time is at a premium, so we make sure that all content is on point. Seeing the green lights next to each post is what we strive for. We hope everyone will find us first with the help of Yoast.
It does what it is supposed to do and does it well according to our standards.
June 29, 2019
Jillyn Dillon | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Yoast SEO in one way or another on nearly every site we build. It's a great SEO tool that is very simple to use and understand. As with so many things in life, it's easier and better to do search engine optimization as you go. Yoast SEO's stop-light rating system and easy to follow improvement suggestions make it ideal for non-expert users who want to write their own blog posts.
  • Easy to install and set up.
  • Easy to optimize posts and pages.
  • Simple to understand suggestions for improvement.
  • The free version is great, and there are even more benefits from the paid versions.
  • I can't think of a thing — we love Yoast!
For beginner to intermediate users, Yoast is tough to beat. They even offer free training to help users better understand why the suggestions improve search engine visibility. The installation and setup wizards are easy to follow too.
As with any plugin, occasionally conflicts occur. That's just the nature of using plugins from different developers. However, the issues we've experienced with Yoast have been few and far between — maybe three issues in more than six years across 70+ sites.
It's stable. It's useful. Install it!
Read Jillyn Dillon's full review
May 15, 2019
The Yoast WordPress SEO Plugin is being used as a marketing tool on our website. It reviews and "grades" pages and posts based on SEO and readability. It is a quick way to address SEO on pages.
  • This plugin is extremely easy to use. The interface is clean and simple. If you are at all familiar with the concepts of SEO, you shouldn't have a problem using this program.
  • With a simple toggle, this plugin will highlight areas within your text that need improvement. For example, if you write very long sentences, with a click of a button you can see which need attention.
  • The stoplight-type color coding is quick and easy to see how a page's SEO and readability are measured to industry standards.
  • As much as I like the highlighting of errors, as I fix one area I lose the highlight and have to scroll to the bottom and ask to show the highlights again.
The Yoast WordPress SEO Plugin is a great overall tool for search engine optimization. If you are new to SEO this is a great start to search engine optimization. The program knows the standard rules and scans your pages to see if your content, images, URL, etc. reflect standard practice. Divided into what you're doing well and what needs improvement, you will start to see what the rules of SEO are. If you are familiar with SEO, this tool with the paid premium version opens a greater amount of control over the page's optimization.
March 25, 2019
Rachel Green | TrustRadius Reviewer
In August 2018, Dyknow launched a brand new website using Wordpress. Wordpress has a variety of plugins, and our marketing team and SEO consultant swear by Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugin. Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugin allows our marketing team to easily optimize our website pages and blog posts for SEO favorability with the search engines. Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugin takes the complexity out of SEO optimization for our marketing team, since it is plugged into Wordpress with recommendations and tips; our team saves time and produces a greater SEO impact with every page and blog created.
  • Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugin is convenient. Since it is plugged into Wordpress itself, we don't have to go to another page or platform to ensure we are optimizing our new pages and posts.
  • Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugin live scans your page templates, links, and copy when you are creating pages and posts in the backend. As a result, the plugin gives you live tips on how to further optimize your page or post health that you can easily adjust and apply in real-time prior to making the creative live.
  • Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugin has great training resources. The onboarding process was seamless. The company's training resources make SEO, which is constantly changing and is not an easy topic to grasp, something that is easy to understand. When you understand how it works, you are more likely to put more effort into optimizing your pages.
  • Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugin is really good at copy and link scanning and optimizing, however, I have not been able to find any assistance on image optimization on our pages and posts. That would be a good update!
  • Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugin is good at ranking pages and posts individually. I would like to see an overall dashboard of your entire website/blog's SEO health according to the software.
  • N/A
Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugin is well suited to help you optimize your website's page and blog copy and linking in Wordpress when being created. Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugin provides you with a red, orange, or green ranking with tips on how to improve each pages SEO performance. Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugin is not intended to be used after your page and post is public and live on the internet.
Read Rachel Green's full review
December 17, 2018
Linda Sasenick | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are an affiliate for a primarily digital product. Web presence is practically the only entry into the sales funnel, so building traffic is fundamental. We use Yoast WordPress SEO plugins for all our blogging, because it encourages "best practices" for SEO - good SEO plus thoughtful keyword selections are the keys to getting traffic to the site.
  • SEO coaching - best practices for SEO are always in flux. Yoast gives step by step guidance for APPROPRIATE use of keywords in text, headings, subheadings, titles, and images. Yoast also provides reminders for other elements - outbound and internal links, customized meta and the like.
  • Readability analysis - Whether readability is essential to SEO, I'm not sure, however, I do believe good writing will provide a better guest experience, which helps entry into the sales funnel. Yoast provides a variety of analytics on readability, such as use of subheadings, sentence length, passive voice, reading ease, etc. Great discipline in becoming a better writer, and hopefully improving SEO!
  • Integration - Yoast "plays nice" with other tools! You can integrate Yoast with Google Search Console and your social media for a better, more comprehensive view of your traffic, your site, and your audience.
  • Great for beginners and experts alike - even if you had to google "SEO," Yoast is for you! It's easy to set up and walks you through everything you can and should be doing. As you get more advanced, it's highly customizable -- well, there's settings for advanced customization, I'm not an SEO expert, so I haven't gone there yet!
  • SEO is complex, and Yoast can seem a little overwhelming just going through all the options available. It would be nice if there were some help with prioritization - "this is essential," "this will is useful, but may only marginally improve your reach," or some other priority generalization.
  • Over-reliance on Yoast can be detrimental to your traffic! It's not entirely their fault, but, it's easy to "fall asleep at the wheel," and let your Yoast dashboard become your sole SEO adviser. Well, like every product, there are sometimes bugs and issues which can affect rankings, so, you have to be aware and make sure you also independently check your results!
  • Keyword research integration would be great - I don't know if it's available in the premium package, but, I still use my google adwords to research appropriate keywords
I don't mind getting in the weeds, a bit, and, it is easy to spend a lot of time in the early part of the SEO learning curve, "in the weeds." Unless you already know what are the most essential elements for your application, it's easy to find yourself spending more time learning than doing.
Read Linda Sasenick's full review
December 12, 2018
Liz Wade | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am a professional freelance photographer. As such, SEO is extremely important to my business. Since I don't have a storefront or physical presence, I need to be found online by potential customers. My website is powered by WordPress, so I chose Yoast SEO to accomplish the task of boosting my online presence.
  • The biggest plus to me is how user-friendly the plugin is. I'm not very proficient in the area of web design and SEO, so having a plugin that is so powerful yet so easy to use is important. The snippet previews which show how a post will appear in a search engine make content-creating much more effective.
  • Yoast helps identify technical issues within my website. Web design, even within the WordPress platform, is very complicated, and I would not be able to identify problems, such as with indexing, on my own. These problems are clearly shown in my WordPress dashboard, so I never miss them and always have the opportunity to correct them.
  • Keywords are one of the most important factors when it comes to being found online. Yoast guides me through my posts by checking my content against the keywords I'm using, reminding me to include these keywords in specific areas and to use them the proper amount of times. It makes post-creating so much easier and I have more confidence in my writing.
  • While Yoast is an important tool to use when writing posts, its guidelines shouldn't always be followed 100%, since it is, after all, a plugin and not a human. The green "go" lights can be misleading. I always try to trust my instincts when Yoast is encouraging me to word a phrase in a way that I know is not best. Yoast is a guide, not a science.
  • With Yoast, it is possible to fall victim to keyword stuffing. It wants me to use a keyword a certain number of times, but it doesn't account for variations of that keyword I've already written that would be recognized in Google, such as the plural form, for example. So even though I've used a keyword in various forms the proper number of times, Yoast might not be giving me the green light yet, so I might stuff in more of that keyword, ultimately to the detriment of my post.
  • My last complaint about Yoast is that the plugin does not keep up with Google, which is a huge problem since I use Yoast precisely to boost my website's presence within Google. And, when it doubt, I don't find that I can turn to Yoast support for help because their customer service is truly lacking.
Yoast can be a powerful and easy tool to use to help boost your website's presence online. It guides you in your writing and warns you about technical problems within your website. However, it can actually be detrimental if you follow Yoast's guidelines exactly and shy away from your instincts as a human reader. You should use Yoast as a guide, but do not tailor your posts precisely to achieve the plugin's green light.
Read Liz Wade's full review
December 12, 2018
Rachel Hensley | TrustRadius Reviewer
The Yoast Plugin is the go-to SEO app for any WordPress website. As a blogger I have a self-hosted WordPress site, Yoast has been instrumental in getting my pages to rank. It's like an SEO checklist at your fingertips and the fact that there is a free version is amazing! I teach marketing classes and actually tell the business owners and bloggers in my classes to make sure they use this app.
  • Multiple Focus Keywords to choose from. I find it hard to only focus on one keyword and the paid version ensures you don't have to which is a nice bonus to this feature.
  • Social Previews do pretty well and gives insight in to how the post will look when shared.
  • Internal Linking, Even though I have been in marketing for 10 years I sometimes do forget to do internal linking and this app always reminds me!
  • Content insights sometimes misses the mark but I understand it a program so it can't truly analyze the data! I would suggest taking this portion with a grain of salt and trusting your vision for the page over the programs.
  • You can find a lot of what is offered here through other platforms but the fact that they have so much in one spot is what sets it apart.
  • Some may not enjoy the price especially when you can get a lot of the same things in the free version.
Yoast will work and is needed for any self-hosted WordPress website. It will only help the SEO if people adhere to the guidelines and changes it's recommending. It can work on any type of website, I especially love it with blogging because even if you are brand new to blogging your SEO will still be great by using this app.
Read Rachel Hensley's full review
December 07, 2018
James McQuillin | TrustRadius Reviewer
I run a small business in my town providing in-home computer lessons and technology support. I created my website using WordPress and I am not an SEO expert by any means. Yoast has been extremely helpful in helping me strategically write content, and organize URLs, headers, etc. to ensure I am visible in organic search results and it has paid off immensely.
  • Keyphrases are powerful so I can determine the main purpose of a page or post, and Yoast helps me write content that includes the keyphrase effectively without being excessive.
  • Yoast also helps with overall readability using their red/yellow/green light indicators. Even better are the detail explanations that help guide you to understand HOW and exactly WHAT you need to do to achieve the green light status (i.e. sentence length, passive voice, etc...).
  • Snippet preview is also great to be able to control what will appear in an organic search result so I can ensure it contains the most important and relevant information to a potential visitor.
  • There are times when I disagree with some of the readability suggestions but overall they are extremely helpful.
  • Nothing else comes to mind, Yoast honestly has been very helpful and works great!
Without all the guidance and tips that Yoast SEO provides, my websites local visibility would be much lower. I gain new clients from my website and it is critical I am found when certain keywords or keyphrases are searched online. Yoast has helped this to become a reality. Plus, I can always revise existing content or write new content and the scores/tips are updated dynamically as I write.
Read James McQuillin's full review
May 23, 2018
Anthony Burke | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use the Yoast SEO plug-in for WordPress almost every day. As a web content writer, business blogger, and de facto "editor in chief" for our agency, I use WordPress a lot an for a variety of content types. Yoast serves as a great checklist for on-page SEO. As you may know, there are many elements that go into on-page optimization. Without Yoast, it would be easy to occasionally forget one or two of them if I was in a hurry. Yoast provides a very visible red-yellow-green light icon that lets you know how well optimized your page is. Long story short, if you use WordPress, you should have the Yoast plug-in.
  • The traffic light icon serves as a visible signpost telling you, at a glance, how far along your optimization of a given page is.
  • The checklist offered educates users about which elements factor into SEO.
  • Yoast provides a Google Snippet editor so you can customize exactly how you want your SERP snippet to read, which is a big advantage.
  • Yoast also offers a readability score, which can serve as a reasonable guide for new writers.
  • Yoast's plug-in is great for on-page but does not provide insights into your ongoing SEO strategy, and how different pages on your site interact with one another.
  • The readability score feels a bit crude. I understand that it provides a nationally recognized readability standard, but as a (dare I say) expert writer with an extensive background in many styles, I sometimes disregard this score. Maybe Google prefers the readability standard to my own, but as it sometimes shoots down sentences with more sophisticated structures, I believe that I know better. Maybe I'm a fool, but sometimes a writer's just gotta write.
  • Offering keyword research and data would be nice. There is very little input about the quality of keyword you are choosing. If you are confident that you know your keywords without input, then this won't be a problem.
  • To my knowledge, Yoast does not offer a competitive analysis or track your SERP performance for you. Tools for on-page only.
If you regularly publish content on a WordPress site, Yoast SEO is simply a necessity. It works very well as a guide for on-page optimization. It holds your hand through editing all of your metadata and some of the things you might not think about if you are new to SEO. Landing pages, blog posts, and really any kind of web content benefit from the optimization tools provided by this plug-in.
Read Anthony Burke's full review
June 13, 2017
Seth Tucker | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Yoast as a tool and guide to optimize our content pages for SEO. It helps us better understand how the content on the page, page title and descriptions align with our target keyword for the content.
  • Strengths: the plugin is super easy to use, and the color coding showing when things are good, medium (needs work), or bad. It makes it easy to sort through a list of posts and see which ones need improvement. It also makes it easy to ensure that new posts going live are focused on a keyword and are checking off the largest amount of the SEO checklist for an optimized article as can be. The plugin also: makes and publishes a sitemap to list in the Google Search Console to help maximize the indexing of your site, it automatically ads the rel="canonical" to each page, unless you specify otherwise, which is great it's one less thing to code into the theme. Yoast also adds the Organization schema to the site, which is nice for updating the Google Knowledge Graph data, but it's a fairly low-impact feature.
  • I would really like the Yoast plugin to add more of the Schema functionality to each page and post. Especially if it could add the JSON-LD formatting for blog posts and other page posts. Right now it's not as big of an impact on overall SEO performance, but as a built-in feature it would be great to have it site-wide before it becomes and absolutely critical element to have.
  • Weakness: it's easy to misunderstand and think that the Yoast plugin is "doing" SEO for you. That's a total misconception, the plugin is a guide to help manage your SEO for each page. The only thing the Yoast plugin does for you are the things listed in strengths.
I always recommend the Yoast plugin unless someone is a power user/professional SEO person. The reason being is because of its extreme simplicity. Most people are not tech savvy or very knowledgeable about SEO, which makes this plugin ideal. There are other plugins out there that can do a "better job" as far as technical performance goes, but for the average person, Yoast is easier to understand. In my opinion, it's the best for helping gauge how well the content is correctly geared for ranking. Which, at the end of the day, is the most important factor in getting organic traffic!
Read Seth Tucker's full review
September 27, 2017
Jeremy Hawes | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use the Yoast WordPress SEO plugins for all our WordPress website clients who pay for our SEO and marketing services. The plugins give us control and insight over our website's meta data that is crucial for all the latest in SEO standards, which WordPress does not provide by default.
  • Provides insight into your pages/posts content as it relates to keywords that you wish to target.
  • Provides complete control over your title tag, meta description, OG/Twitter Card meta data, robots meta tag, and canonical tag.
  • Generates automated sitemap.xml files.
  • Connects with console tools (i.e. Google Search Console).
  • There are some UI improvements I think could be implemented to make the editing of the title and meta description tags easier to spot (it's very crucial to customize this per page/post).
I really can't think of a situation where the Yoast WordPress SEO Plugins would not be useful and arguably the best go-to SEO tool for WordPress. I don't believe I manage a single WordPress website without these plugins.
Read Jeremy Hawes's full review
September 21, 2017
Marissa White | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use this to optimise my blog posts to appear in SEO results. Tips for how to improve are easily viewable at the bottom of my blog post screen
  • Was super easy plugin to install to WordPress
  • The traffic light system of red, amber, green is an easy indication of how well your post will perform
  • It includes readability as well as SEO
  • I like that you can click 'through' to problem areas to edit
  • very simple. not to be used for advanced SEO (beyond my skill set) but I think a very good tool for a smaller website
I think this is a no brainer for any WordPress site
Read Marissa White's full review

Keyword analysis (42)
Backlink management (26)
SERP ranking tracking (15)
Page grader (44)
Competitive analysis (19)
Site audit / diagnostics (32)
Site recommendations (34)
Task management (21)
Local SEO (33)
Social SEO (34)
Mobile SEO (32)
Global SEO (28)
Multi-domain support (18)
Integration with web analytics tools (33)

What is Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugins?

Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugins are a set of tools developed by Joost de Valk and team, founder of yoast.com and Wordpress enthusiast. These tools are designed to help content rank higher and are subsumed under the Yoast Complete pack, which includes Video SEO for rank climbing with embedded videos in a Wordpress site, WooCommerce SEO for the WP ecommerce plugin, News SEO for rank climbing in Google news, Local SEO for (as the name implies) climbing in local listings with more complete information so can be located (e.g. Google Maps, a store locator, etc.), and Premium SEO redirect manager for dealing with common redirect errors and issues.

Yoast Complete for a single site license can be obtained for $279, for up to 5 sites for $479, and for up to 20 sites for $849. The plugins may also be bought individually, and yoast.com now offers a Google Analytics (GA) plugin.