Zend Framework is a PHP framework developed by Zend Technologies and acquired by Rogue Wave.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/vN/A2/DZG0KZ1SNDWU.pngZero in on Zend Framework!We use Zend Framework as the engine for our main site. I am the only one that manages it, but eBaum's World wouldn't run without it!,Excellent interface for databases. I trust that no bad data will accidentally be injected causing the databases to become corrupt or drop. The routing is really great. We have a lot of custom routing and it makes it very easy to add or adjust routes and ensure they're getting where they need to go. Zend provides so much flexibility in the controllers for dealing with the view. It's so easy to customize the view to render just how you want it. Especially when dealing with a request that may or may not be ajax.,My most recent gripe with Zend was when it turned out that the order the routes are loaded differ from server to server. I know this is a PHP issue but it would be great if Zend stepped into ensure the routes were loaded and parsed in the same order no matter where it's running. I wish template variables were automatically included in nested templates. It's annoying having to pass the variables once in the controller and then again within the template when loading in a new piece. The database functionality could use a bit of expansion. We had to write our own workaround when needing to specify a specific index. There's no built in function to handle this and we didn't want to have to resort to hand writing queries that require a specific index that the DB might not default to.,10,Zend is so flexible that we haven't even felt the need to upgrade to Zend Framework 2. There's nothing we need that it can't do. With our installation it's so easy for me to create new modules, and have model, view, controller, route, up and running in minutes. It is so straight forward and logical it's so simple to work with once you get the hang of it.,,Jenkins, MongoDB, MySQL,1,1,We use the cherry picking bootstrapping abilities to quickly get scripts up and running, especially when they deal with the database so we don't have to duplicate DB calls in straight PHP. The Zend View Helper set up is so great for adding key functionality off to the side that doesn't need to muck up the regular data fetching and template building. The reusability is great. I love the functionality built in for debugging. Just the regular Zend_Debug::dump() I use it on a daily basis! As well as the ->__toString for queries to easily copy/paste into a MySQL editor.,We rely hard on the APPLICATION_ENV and the config/bootstrap to easily customize the data sources for production, staging, and development. It makes it so easy to set up the config once, a few checks in the bootstrap and every environment is flawless. It removes the headache of having to edit IPs everytime. I'm not sure if this is innovative but it sure does save a lot of hassle. We use the library namespace quite a bit. At this point we have 2 separate libraries, one that we can easily port and have it work with any new site as well as once that's specific to eBaum's World. We have amazing code architecture but Zend's flexibility makes it so easy to manage.,We may be expanding our reach of sites we manage, and if that becomes the case I can't wait to convert those code bases to Zend and see complicated code become simple and clean.,8,Yes,Product Usability Product Reputation Vendor Reputation,Given that I didn't do the initial evaluation, this question is a bit tricky. I trust that my boss did the right thing when selecting Zend. Zend Framework has excellent resources, and isn't likely to become an abandoned product. The one thing I would look at when selecting a new framework will be overhead. Zend doesn't perform that well with overhead. We're a very large site with millions of page views a day. The site is growing and that kind of overhead will quickly become detrimental. But I will definitely compare Zend Framework 2 with other frameworks first.,Creating new modules is SO easy. It takes 2 minutes. I can have the route, bootstrap, controllers, models, template structure ready to go. And I know that it will work! Pagination!!!! We're a media sites with LOTS of listings pages. I love the Zend_Paginator object. We incorporated it into our List class so every list call generates this object so it's consistent in all templates. Pagination logic is tedious, and the Zend_Paginator has everything you need without the headache. Recently we've been focusing on SEO improvements and the flexibility Zend offers for adding meta tags to the head or anything else is so easy from within the controller. I don't feel like there's a lot of logic duplication in 18 different places.,Zend is hard to get in to. The set up, configuration, bootstrapping, etc is incredibly daunting. My boss handled that but when I look at what he did I can't imagine how he figured it out. We have a non-conformist setup to our code base where we have a series of modules under an app folder. Within each module we have model, view, controller folders. It works well for how expansive our site is b/c having all controllers or modules in one folder would be so hard to sort through quickly. That speaks more to the way we work. Zend Framework can be hard to trace through when you're trying to figure out the innerworkings. I know there's some not-great hacks I've implemented in our codebase b/c I didn't have the patience to examine Zend. But usually with Zend, once you figure it out you're kicking yourself for not having realized it sooner. The routing is starting to become a problem. We use regex in multiple XML files, and we've recently run into issues where each server reads the routes in a different order, causing different results. In my development environment it's fine, in production it isn't b/c a certain module route isn't read at the end like my dev env, causing a 404. I've had to result to moving routes from one module to another to ensure read order, but it breaks the organization of the code base.,9Zend Framework 2.x ReviewI've used Zend Framework at several different companies. Most companies I've worked for are still using Zend Framework 1.x, and usually in migration to either a different framework or Zend Framework 2.x. I have been looking at Zend Framework 3.x but have not used it in production software yet. This review is primarily for Zend Framework 2. If you're a company thinking about using Zend Framework, you should definitely focus on using Zend Framework 2 and not the much, much older Zend Framework 1 anymore. Zend Framework solves the problem of bootstrapping and sharing knowledge because there is already well-written documentation around the Zend Framework software library. If you try to build a proprietary framework from scratch, you'll be spending a lot of money and writing a lot of unnecessary documentation. Training and hiring is simpler - as you can find people who have experience with Zend Framework.,Zend Framework 2 provides a lot of best-practice tools, design patterns, and libraries for large-scale software projects. Zend Framework 2 uses an event-based model, a dependency injection model, and proper use of PHP5+ namespaces. Zend Framework 2 is used by a lot of large, leading software enterprises.,Zend Framework 2 is overly complex for small projects. Zend Framework 2 documentation sometimes overlooks small details, which means you will need to delve into the code directly. Zend Framework 2 bug fixes on GitHub usually take quite a long time to get patched.,8,Zend Framework 2 has made training easier, as we can point junior engineers to the official documentation.,Laravel PHP Framework, CodeIgniter, Symfony, Drupal and WordPress,Laravel PHP Framework, Symfony, MariaDBZend Framework ReviewZend Framework is being used for the development of websites consuming an API.,It has a decent service container Very configurable to make the framework do what you want,The routing configuration is very painful to use. Seems like it was thrown together. The framework is very heavy, and sometimes confusing with how abstracted everything is.,6,This was out of the scope of my position at the company. I did not have access to this type of information.,Laravel PHP Framework and Symfony,Laravel PHP Framework, Symfony
Zend Framework

Zend Framework Reviews

Zend Framework
Filter 8 vetted Zend Framework reviews and ratings
Lauren Merka profile photo
April 30, 2016

User Review: "Zero in on Zend Framework!"

• Excellent interface for databases. I trust that no bad data will accidentally be injected causing the databases to become corrupt or drop.
  • The routing is really great. We have a lot of custom routing and it makes it very easy to add or adjust routes and ensure they're getting where they need to go.
  • Zend provides so much flexibility in the controllers for dealing with the view. It's so easy to customize the view to render just how you want it. Especially when dealing with a request that may or may not be ajax.
  • My most recent gripe with Zend was when it turned out that the order the routes are loaded differ from server to server. I know this is a PHP issue but it would be great if Zend stepped into ensure the routes were loaded and parsed in the same order no matter where it's running.
  • I wish template variables were automatically included in nested templates. It's annoying having to pass the variables once in the controller and then again within the template when loading in a new piece.
  • The database functionality could use a bit of expansion. We had to write our own workaround when needing to specify a specific index. There's no built in function to handle this and we didn't want to have to resort to hand writing queries that require a specific index that the DB might not default to.
Zend is well suited when you have a large, complicated site that will also need its own custom CMS. Zend doesn't get in the way and it's really easy to build exactly what you want, in a way that's consistent. It is not appropriate for a situation where you need something really fast. It definitely requires some leg work and configuration to get it up and running.
Read Lauren Merka's full review
Takahiro Horie profile photo
April 01, 2016

"Zend Framework 2.x Review"

• Zend Framework 2 provides a lot of best-practice tools, design patterns, and libraries for large-scale software projects.
  • Zend Framework 2 uses an event-based model, a dependency injection model, and proper use of PHP5+ namespaces.
  • Zend Framework 2 is used by a lot of large, leading software enterprises.
  • Zend Framework 2 is overly complex for small projects.
  • Zend Framework 2 documentation sometimes overlooks small details, which means you will need to delve into the code directly.
  • Zend Framework 2 bug fixes on GitHub usually take quite a long time to get patched.
Zend Framework is well suited for large (or potentially large) software projects. It has the tools and structures for organizing and maintaining millions of lines of code by providing different scaffolding and service management capabilities. Obviously, it works well in environments that prefer a traditional PHP-based MVC stack as that is how it's designed. For smaller or less experienced teams, it might be faster to build something using a simpler framework such as Laravel or Symfony because the learning curve is a bit less steep. The routing system of Zend Framework is incredibly powerful but also very hard to get right, for example. Overall, however, being skilled with Zend Framework 2 will be very advantageous.
Read Takahiro Horie's full review
March 22, 2016

"Zend Framework Review"

Zend Framework is being used for the development of websites consuming an API.
  • It has a decent service container
  • Very configurable to make the framework do what you want
  • The routing configuration is very painful to use. Seems like it was thrown together.
  • The framework is very heavy, and sometimes confusing with how abstracted everything is.

About Zend Framework