TrustRadius
The Zend PHP Engine from Zend Technologies (acquired by Rogue Wave in 2017) is an application infrastructure.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/YQ/I6/KW97HSDNV6JG.pngThis is the literal core of PHPZend PHP Engine is used by my organization as the backbone framework to debug our PHP environments. We utilize its API functions to monitor API calls, XHR requests, MYSQL calls & other various functionality in our LAMP stack environment.,The Zend Framework excels at productivity. It's lightweight, loosely-coupled enough to provide 90% of the functionality that everyone needs out of the door, but also customizeable enough to meet the remaining 10% should your business need it. Because the Zend Framework is functionality focused (also supported by the actual PHP developers) - it is light enough to hit the ground running with. Having no configuration files to get rolling is also a huge plus. The documentation of the Zend Framework is reliable, updated & succint. I have not encountered an issue that I could not easily troubleshoot from looking at the documentation.,Zend PHP Engine could improve by creating a more intuitive workflow for beginners. Though it is not super hard to grasp - most developers have a learning curve for understanding & fully utilizing the framework. Zend PHP Engine could also improve by fixing their stability issues. Every now and then the MYSQL service calls will drop, stop being monitored or die alltogether. Any PHP developer worth his salt would point to the fact that PHP SQL queries also have this issue inherent in them - but I hope that just as much as they improved the MYSQLi queries - that they could eventually solve the issue with the stability. Zend PHP Engine could also improve by having the initial out of the box installation be more intuitive. The process of installing and configuring the framework can be a bit complex at times - and I have had to walk through it with even the most senior developers at my company.,7,Overall, Zend PHP Engine has had a positive return on our business objective of creating a medium sized web-application, debugging the application to assess problems before they occur, and to create dynamic API calls via our backend custom software.Zend PHP framework, a great tool for PHP based projectsThe Zend PHP framework in my opinion is the default framework for any PHP based project. It's supported by the core contributors of PHP and you will find that most of the major PHP frameworks rely on Zend classes. Many developers won't choose to use Zend because compared to other frameworks it might be complicated, so you have a learning curve issue. If you get to see some Symfony or Laravel classes, you will see that many of those extend Zend core classes. The reason why those other frameworks encapsulate Zend classes is because those are well built but are not so easy to use and you might add some value by extending them. I have developed custom backend APIs by entirely using Zend, which makes those faster than using other more complex frameworks. For small or medium sized projects I would strongly suggest using Zend.,The performance is superior compared to other frameworks. It's supported by the contributions of the core classes of PHP. Extensive updated documentation.,The code isn't that easy to understand. The learning curve compared to other frameworks is bigger.,10,The good thing of using Zend is the fact that it's supported by the team in charge of PHP itself so they will always be aligned with the road path of php. Something bad is the learning curve. As a developer you will invest more time with Zend than with other frameworks.,CodeIgniter, Laravel PHP Framework, Symfony and Yii Framework,Symfony, Laravel PHP Framework, CodeIgniter
Unspecified
Zend PHP Engine
8 Ratings
Score 7.3 out of 101
<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>trScore algorithm: Learn more.</a>TRScore

Zend Engine Reviews

Zend Engine
8 Ratings
<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>trScore algorithm: Learn more.</a>
Score 7.3 out of 101
Show Filters 
Hide Filters 
Filter 8 vetted Zend Engine reviews and ratings
Clear all filters
Overall Rating
Reviewer's Company Size
Last Updated
By Topic
Industry
Department
Experience
Job Type
Role
Reviews (1-2 of 2)
  Vendors can't alter or remove reviews. Here's why.
Matthew Mariner profile photo
August 29, 2018

Zend Engine Review: "This is the literal core of PHP"

Score 7 out of 10
Vetted Review
Verified User
Review Source
Zend PHP Engine is used by my organization as the backbone framework to debug our PHP environments. We utilize its API functions to monitor API calls, XHR requests, MYSQL calls & other various functionality in our LAMP stack environment.
  • The Zend Framework excels at productivity. It's lightweight, loosely-coupled enough to provide 90% of the functionality that everyone needs out of the door, but also customizeable enough to meet the remaining 10% should your business need it.
  • Because the Zend Framework is functionality focused (also supported by the actual PHP developers) - it is light enough to hit the ground running with. Having no configuration files to get rolling is also a huge plus.
  • The documentation of the Zend Framework is reliable, updated & succint. I have not encountered an issue that I could not easily troubleshoot from looking at the documentation.
  • Zend PHP Engine could improve by creating a more intuitive workflow for beginners. Though it is not super hard to grasp - most developers have a learning curve for understanding & fully utilizing the framework.
  • Zend PHP Engine could also improve by fixing their stability issues. Every now and then the MYSQL service calls will drop, stop being monitored or die alltogether. Any PHP developer worth his salt would point to the fact that PHP SQL queries also have this issue inherent in them - but I hope that just as much as they improved the MYSQLi queries - that they could eventually solve the issue with the stability.
  • Zend PHP Engine could also improve by having the initial out of the box installation be more intuitive. The process of installing and configuring the framework can be a bit complex at times - and I have had to walk through it with even the most senior developers at my company.
Zend PHP Engine is well suited for small/medium sized projects that require heavy PHP development. It is especially potent in developing API's & debugging your entire web application from inception to scale. Zend PHP engine is obviously less well suited for scenarios where you need more advanced dynamic monitoring & development for web-apps at huge scale.
Read Matthew Mariner's full review
Jean Paul Ruiz Vallejo profile photo
May 25, 2016

Zend Engine Review: "Zend PHP framework, a great tool for PHP based projects"

Score 10 out of 10
Vetted Review
Verified User
Review Source
The Zend PHP framework in my opinion is the default framework for any PHP based project. It's supported by the core contributors of PHP and you will find that most of the major PHP frameworks rely on Zend classes.

Many developers won't choose to use Zend because compared to other frameworks it might be complicated, so you have a learning curve issue.

If you get to see some Symfony or Laravel classes, you will see that many of those extend Zend core classes. The reason why those other frameworks encapsulate Zend classes is because those are well built but are not so easy to use and you might add some value by extending them.

I have developed custom backend APIs by entirely using Zend, which makes those faster than using other more complex frameworks. For small or medium sized projects I would strongly suggest using Zend.
  • The performance is superior compared to other frameworks.
  • It's supported by the contributions of the core classes of PHP.
  • Extensive updated documentation.
  • The code isn't that easy to understand.
  • The learning curve compared to other frameworks is bigger.
I would say you can use Zend with any project of any size but in a personal experience I would recommend it more for small or medium sized projects. Since the code you will be writing with Zend has more verbosity than the one you can write with other frameworks, that might be a problem to maintain larger projects.
Read Jean Paul Ruiz Vallejo's full review

Zend Engine Scorecard Summary

About Zend Engine

The Zend PHP Engine from Zend Technologies (acquired by Rogue Wave in 2017) is an application infrastructure.

Zend Engine Technical Details

Operating Systems: Unspecified
Mobile Application:No