Zix Email Threat Protection Reviews

Dane Spoelker | TrustRadius Reviewer
We purchased and use Zix for TWO main reasons: to enhance email threat protection, and to have a HIPAA-compliant solution for sending secure emails to our patients. The problems are resolved are reduced risk of cheap cyber attacks like phishing, malware or ransomware. The other issue resolved is our inability to send PHI out via email securely and in compliance with HIPAA.
  • Makes it easy for those receiving emails to create an account and retrieve the email.
  • Peace of mind knowing emails are secure, and can be tracked.
  • Monitoring inbound email threats is easy.
  • Support has been very quick resolving or explaining support tickets I've created.
  • The portal is tricky to navigate if you're not familiar with it.
  • The portal has shown extensive lag and inability to click certain buttons.
  • I am an early Administrator, but entrusting other users to check and clear their "Quarantine" box of blocked email seems daunting. - Fear of teaching Zix to others as I still have a lot to learn myself.
Healthcare - Secure HIPAA compliant messaging. It makes it extremely easy and is such a relief having this solution in place so we can minimize the overhead involved with communicating with our patients effectively.
It is backed by a BAA and is HIPAA compliant, which is we need in order to confidently send our data anywhere and everywhere we do. With Zix portal, we know information inbound or outbound is protected and secure. We also enjoy the fact that our patients are able to send information back if necessary, and they too are protected and secure by using the portal.
The portal, from an administrator standpoint can be rather tricky. The terminology can be confusing, and so far I've gotten lost a few times trying to find an easy way to simply look up if a message was received. Once I know where I am going, I am good, but it can be tricky.
The configuration is tough too, and I'm thankful for having a tech walk me through what he did, although I could not replicate.
Something about understanding the rules from the portal's perspective when it comes to inbound vs. outbound was rather confusing. So was the rule making when deciding filters, etc. for our email and how they'd be sent.
We use Google Workspace, but it does exactly that. So far, we have seen great success with Zix behaving the way it's intended to and working the way we set it up. It integrates nicely and only took a few clicks and exceptions within our Google Workspace Admin console to get started.
Read Dane Spoelker's full review
January 07, 2021
Parrish Peachee | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are a small employee benefit brokerage and we all use Zix. We deal heavily in PHI(personal health information) along with SS#'s and everything else it takes to enroll in insurance. Transferring that date securely and easily is a huge relief.
  • Sending info between Zix members is automatically secure, amazing!
  • Encrypting emails is also super easy and more importantly, easy on the other end for our clients.
  • It's super smart two, catching things I make have not thought to encrypt.
  • It's just plain easy.
  • I honestly can't say I'd change anything. Really love Zix!
Zix is phenomenal in the insurance industry as many carriers utilize it. Frankly, seeing how easy it was to use when receiving encrypted emails drove me to dig into their services and I'm so glad I did. The best for my industry for sure!
Yes, it does and I wouldn't be a customer if not.
It was as easy of an implementation as I've ever had and I'm not uber tech savvy and best of all requires no maintenance. Also, it's smarter than me and catches things in case I ever forget.
It covers all the bases and works well with Gmail/G Suite too.
Read Parrish Peachee's full review
January 07, 2021
James Molina | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using Zix across our organization to encrypt our secure business email and to provide seamless secure email between us and the hospital in which we practice, which also uses Zix. The software also has the option to force encryption by adding the word secure in an email subject line. It can also automatically encrypt using keyword filters.
  • Seamless encryption among other Zix users
  • Encrypted email portal for non-Zix email recipients
  • Keyword filters for autoencryption
  • We are a small company. I would request that Zix create smaller licensing packages. I am unhappy that we have to buy in packs of 10 when we only need five. If a competing solution becomes available with better pricing, then I will consider leaving Zix to avoid paying for licenses I do not need.
I would recommend it, based on email encryption technology, to a company that has 10 or more employees (their minimum license package). Overall I like the product but am unhappy that I have to purchase licenses I don’t use. I think a five-user package should be the minimum.
Zix helps with HIPAA compliance
Seamless integration with our email provider
Read James Molina's full review
January 06, 2021
R Holter | TrustRadius Reviewer
Zix is used by all county offices as a way to ensure sensitive information is kept secure at a time when it is least thought about, through email. Most staff believe their email systems are secure; Zix ensures it. Using the preconfigured filter lexicons, Zix ensures medical, staffing, and other personal or sensitive information is secured by automatically encrypting the information before it sends it to an outside party. It is great to have the peace of mind that our information is automatically being reviewed before being sent.
  • Automatic review of messages before being sent
  • Enabling staff to encrypt messages regardless of information
  • Always reviewing and updating the lexicons based on current laws, policies, and practices
  • The only issue: I wish Zix currently had an auto-update feature of the lexicons, rather than having to perform the updates manually.
The cost can be an issue for some organizations.
The automatic review of messages based on preconfigured lexicons greatly assists in making sure sensitive information is not sent unsecured.
Because you do not have to change configurations much, I find the use of Zix to be very easy. There are programs out there where you have to re-learn the application in order to make changes. This is not one of them. The online prompts and reminders are a great assistance as well.
Read R Holter's full review
January 06, 2021
Brandon Truong | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using Zix email encryption for the entire organization. It allows us to safely send and receive email through the Zix secured email gateway.
  • Secured email gateway to send and receive emails.
  • Zix gateway assists with filtering potential and malicious email/attachment.
  • The portal can be more user friendly to navigate.
Zix integrates very well with G Suites (Gmail).
Yes, Zix is in compliance with all of the email encryption requirement.
Simple setup, and support was always available to assist with any troubleshooting.

Very easy to send encrypted email using keyword, or system will auto-encrypt.
Zix is fully integrated with the Gmail platform. Our staff are safely using Gmail without any issue.
Read Brandon Truong's full review
Bryan Griffin | TrustRadius Reviewer
Zix is being used to Encrypt our emil system. Working with the staff was a smooth transition and an easy implementation process. The techs worked with me and gave me the support that we needed. The encryption system is very robust and easy to use for our end users.
  • Encryption.
  • Detection.
  • Security.
  • Expand email functions.
  • More integration with Google.
  • More options for support.
Our company is only using Zix for email encryption. The easy to use system and the robust infrastructure gave us a lot of options and different ways that it could be used. Our users are able to implementation encryption with just a simple key word or it is able to scan our emails and automatically encrypt them. That's something that we love!
Yes, the robust options given to us was a plus. We are able to configure the system so that our emails encrypt automatically. This takes the work out of the users hands and gives the company a peace of mind. No more human error or "I forgot the key word," Zix will take care of it for you!
I gave this a 10 because the users don't have to do anything for their emails to be encrypt. With Zix automatic system, sometimes the end users don't even know that their emails are being encrypted. And with the reporting system we are able to see if what emails are being encrypted and adjust if needed.
I would like to see more integration into gmail. Our system is working quite fine so I can't complain.
Read Bryan Griffin's full review
Matt Thibault | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Zix as a way to send encrypted emails to keep PHI and other sensitive data secure when being sent to via email. We currently have it deployed at a company level but only a few departments actually utilize it. We chose to deploy it company wide to make sure we don't have anyone that accidentally sends PHI via email without it being encrypted. The nice thing about Zix is that you can deploy it company-wide but only pay for those users that actually utilized the encryption that month. This helps keep the overall cost down.
  • Email Encryption - The implementation was simple and using the encryption is even easier.
  • We only use the email encryption and it does everything that we need it to do.
We only utilize the email encryption option that Zix provides and it works great. It was very easy to train users on how to use the email encryption. Managing the software is very easy as well. If you have a question at they provide a lot of video tutorials or you can also reach out to the support team.
Zix has definitely helped us to stay compliant with HIPAA when it comes to email. So many patients are used to being able to call somewhere that isn't medical and ask for something to be emailed to them that when we had to say it isn't as easy with medical items they would get frustrated. Now we can say yes we can.
Implementing Zix was super easy. They provided step by step instructions on what to do and in which order to do it. Once our email server was pointed and connected with Zix training users on how to use it was even easier. Basically if the user already knew how to send an email that already know how to use Zix.
Read Matt Thibault's full review
January 05, 2021
Hector Topete | TrustRadius Reviewer
Zix keeps our entire agency confident that we remain HIPAA compliant in our email practices. While there are many options out there for email encryption, I prefer Zix due to how easy it is to use for my staff and, even more so, how easy it is for our outgoing recipients to use. Other encryption services require the use of one-time passcodes and processes that can be difficult to manage. With Zix, we do not have those troubles. I highly recommend this product for agencies in the social services and nonprofit sectors.
  • Easy to encrypt outgoing emails from our staff
  • Easy for recipients to receive our encrypted messages
  • The cost is affordable when compared to other encryption services
Zix is well suited for any agency required to comply with HIPAA
Yes, Zix meets this goal by ensuring any PHI is encrypted.
I have not seen another encryption service that is as easy to utilize as Zix.
Our agency utilizes the G-Suite platform and Zix has been seamless across it.
Read Hector Topete's full review
Doug Kinzinger | TrustRadius Reviewer
Zix's portfolio easily supports a variety of workloads - email security, email encryption, antispam/antivirus, and now cloud backup. Their support is quick and efficient, and I have no trouble recommending them.
  • Antispam
  • Email encryption
  • Cloud backup
  • Logging/quarantine
Zix is the no-hassle choice for email encryption and for antispam filtering.
Yes. Zix-to-Zix customer emails encrypted automatically, and easy-to-use portal for those not using the service.
Very easy
It's quickly become a no-brainer for Office 365 customers
Read Doug Kinzinger's full review
January 16, 2021
We are a healthcare non-profit. We have to comply with various security regulations including HIPAA, PCI, FERPA, etc. We needed a solution to be used across the entire organization. Zix automatically scans each outgoing message and ensures that protect information is encrypted or in the case of PCI, the information is quarantined and never is delivered.
  • Easy to use, Zix works behind the scenes.
  • The secure portal is great for sending sensitive data securely.
  • The secure portal feature set is robust, allowing to delete messages, recall, etc.
  • Great customer service.
  • The secure portal is great but some end users do not like having to log in to see messages.
  • The admin interface is kind of dated looking. Needs some updating.
Zix is great. In our organization, we have some staff that are very techy and some where technology is a struggle. Zix just works. End users can send emails and Zix scans and quarantines emails if needed. Staff and IT admins are alerted, IT can review the message, and staff has the ability to self-release (if configured that way).

After reviewing several other vendors/solutions. Zix is an incredible cloud-hosted solution, so no need to have a server onsite. Customer service has been great on setting up the initial ruleset, and the few times we needed some additional help on pulling reports.

Reporting is also great on Zix. You can track messages, see if a message was read (if using the secure portal), expire the message, etc.
Zix does an amazing job with DLP and compliance. Zix has a robust ruleset that can be added too or modified. We worked with the Zix team to customize our ruleset and was up and running within a couple of hours. For our agency, Zix ensures that we comply with PCI, FERPA, HIPAA, PII, etc.
Zix gets a perfect 10 out of 10. End users can just work. With our previous solution, staff would have to determine if a message had sensitive information and then send it securely. Zix scans each message and ensures that the message does not fail into one of the pre-defined rulesets.
We do not use Zix on Microsoft 365. We use it for Google Workplace (formerly G-Suite). I believe it has the same functionality. Anytime a message is quarantined we have it alert the end-user and the IT department. That is one of the great features of Zix is you can customize the alerts and have them send to different people/departments.
December 23, 2020
Zix email encryption is a tool that our organization uses to send and receive sensitive information securely. We have many departments that utilize Zix, the main department being Medical Records. Zix provides a platform for us to send PHI to third parties that need the information to provide our patient's proper care. In the medical field, security is a necessity and Zix helps us comply with all the regulations.
  • Provides a secure platform to send sensitive information.
  • Recipient of encrypted messages has a user-friendly portal to view messages and respond.
  • Seamless integration with GAME add-on for Google Workspace.
  • Manual updates required.
Zix integrates well with Google Workspace to work seamlessly and behind the scenes. Whole message encryption (including attachments) can be programmed with a keyword or phrase in the subject line. Our staff finds that relatively easy to do. Plus, if our staff forget to add the keyword to encrypt the message, all messages are scanned for sensitive information and encrypted anyway. Great safeguard!
Zix helps our company comply with government regulations and in the medical field, that is a must. Personal information must be safeguarded, so it was an easy decision to sign up for this service. The encryption happens behind the scenes and does not interfere at all with our regular workflow.
Zix is super user friendly for both our staff and the recipients of the messages. Logs are present, of course, for auditing when the need arises. The management portal is easy to use, also. You can use the service as is after install or make customizations that would better suit your business and workflow.
Zix's unified platform integrates well with many other service providers. When our staff receives messages from a third party that were encrypted using Zix, the messages are unencrypted in the background and bypass the portal, providing nothing but the actual message. That kind of integration is exactly how encryption should work.
December 19, 2020
We use Zix for web content filtering, as well as for outbound encryption for keeping sensitive information save, and to make sure that emails are not forwarded to unintended additional recipients. We have used Zix for 5 plus years, on both an internal Exchange server, as well as for Office 365 through the Zix gateway using Smart Host connectors to Office 365.
  • Excellent encryption
  • One of the market leaders
  • Ease of use after implementation
  • Ease of use. Other competitors platform is WAY easier to use and customize.
  • You have to cover THE ENTIRE ORGANIZATION with coverage, even though only a handful will need to use email encryption
  • The Zix Protect platform is a complete joke to customize and use.
Once Zix is setup, it works fine. Trying to add a new rule you might as well call for support because it is cumbersome and clunky. Tech support often seem annoyed when you reach out to them. Please look at all of the alternatives when looking into email encryption before selecting ZIX.
Yes, this meets the corporate compliance regarding data protection. Other platforms offer various other incentives that Zix isn't offering.
Again, customization and initial setup is very clunky and could be streamlined a lot better.
Zix is setup for us as a Smart Host so anything that we send goes through their Zix gateway. When a user sends an encrypted email, this user doesn't have to do anything other than using a keyword "encrypt" in the subject line, then the entire thread is encrypted. The user doesn't have to do anything else in the back and forth on that specific email.
January 16, 2021
Our company uses Zix to ensure we can have a secure email service for our staff to be able to talk to each other and to outside companies to help promote the well being of our clients. It allows us to be able to email securely and with confidence, and well as archive our emails.
  • The customer service is amazing.
  • It is simple to use.
  • It can be used across different email platforms.
  • I do not use the actual main web page of Zix, so that would be nice if I could learn it.
  • Having access to change our own secure word instead of needing to reach out to Zix to do it.
  • Honestly, we do not have many issues.
I have already suggested Zix to many of our colleagues in the home healthcare field, and many of our colleagues also use Zix, which makes it very easy to communicate back and forth. We also use it within our own agency to talk to each other since it is health care, and it is important to be secure and sensitive.
The email encryption products do help with our regulatory compliances for data protection because we need to be HIPAA compliant with our communications, and Zix offers this as an option, which allows us to know we are being the most secure we can be. This gives huge peace of mind.
Zix itself to use in an email is very easy to use, and this is what we use it most frequently for. The one area I am not very familiar with is to go to the actual Zix webpage and login and access the data that way. I have never had much of a need to do that, but I also am not totally sure what it all offers.
We do not use Microsoft 365 for email purposes, so I cannot speak to that, but we do use Apple's service of iMail, and that has always worked out just perfectly, which is really nice to have it be integrated, and it is also able to be used for emails that come to us that are not part of iMail.
January 15, 2021
It's being used primarily by unions who have to deal with the personal information of their members to protect such things as medical claims, etc. Users rely upon automatic rules-based encryption of email to comply with HIPAA and their insurance requirements.
  • Automatic encryption by keyword.
  • Unobtrusive technology.
  • Minimum user count.
  • Pricing
Zix does a lot, but we mainly look to it for email encryption. It makes sense when you have 25 users or more and where confidential information is being sent outside the company and needs to be encrypted for regulatory purposes.
Yes, used for HIPAA compliance and to comply with insurance audits. It automatically encrypts emails determined by out of the box rules to contain personal identifier information, financial information, or medical information. Users can also add keywords in the email or subject line to ensure it will be encrypted.
Ease of use helps ensure compliance too.
Automatic rules-based encryption. Ability to force encryption by use of keywords. No user training or actions necessary. No software required on computers. I can't imagine it being easier to use. Initial setup requires system administrators to make MX/DNS changes but that is to be expected for a third-party product.
Have not evaluated aspects other than the encryption, but because threat detection and archiving can be extra-cost options with Microsoft 365, this can potentially mean the need for more expensive Microsoft 365 subscriptions.
December 23, 2020
We are using Zix across our entire organization. The heavy users for the product are our Police, Fire, and HR Departments. With having to send sensitive data to other organizations this was the solution for us. We chose Zix because we were looking for an email encryption solution that did not break the budget but that still covered the minimum Security requirements.
  • Easy to implement.
  • Easy to use for both end user and recipient.
  • User support is great.
  • When you get into the automatic encryption it could be a little challenging.
This would be appropriate in any organization. Zix gives you the ability to configure as little as you want or as much as you want. Starting out we were using only the manual encryption using the outlook plug-in. This was fast and easy to setup and get the users going. This is still how most of our users still use it.
Yes, Zix meets our goal with corporate compliance. We have seen a definite increase in security awareness with external users. This product gave us the compliance part of the puzzle we were looking for in our environment. HR needed this solution due to HIPPA regulations and requirements.
We are using the cloud based solution and as soon as the backend configurations were set all that we needed to do was to locally install the Zix Encrypt Outlook plugin. From there it only took us less than an hour to show all our users how to use it and how to relay to the sender what to expect when they receive the email.
To this point in time we are only using the Zix Encryption portion of the product. We are looking into implementing the archiving piece of this product. This will give use a lot of relief in our local email system from having to do the archiving. Also being other staff ability to do searches against our Archive.
December 23, 2020
We utilize Zix to provide encrypted email to help us meet HIPAA and keep patient information secure.
  • Email Encryption.
  • Capture of Data that needs encrypting.
  • Easier implementation.
Excellent for entities requiring a secure way to transmit HIPAA information.
Meeting HIPAA and keeping patient information safe was our number one priority, and Zix helped us achieve that.
Very easy to use and extremely customizable.
December 19, 2020
Email encryption, email filtering.
  • Products work as they should.
  • Mail filtering has really improved with the move to Zix Protect.
  • Support is very responsive.
  • Support techs fall short in people skills and courtesy sometimes.
Zix has really been great to work with overall and the products have been a great fit for us.
Yes Zix provides us with a great encryption platform that works wells and the auditors are satisfied with the system we use as Zix is a well know email encryption solution.
It works well and is not that hard to configure and support staff is knowledgeable if you have issues.
It works well for us and our software platforms.
Mike McCloskey | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Zix everyday and throughout our organization. We are a Title Escrow Service and heavily communicate detailed non-public financial information with real estate buyers, sellers, agents, and lenders. We looked at countless solutions which were not able to serve our needs. Many were not very useable by customers. Most were too cumbersome for our agents to manage complex communication threads. Zix is also used by our largest clients, making even greater usability. It has been performing very well for several years
  • Great usability for outside users who may need heavy access for several weeks and almost never again.
  • Streamlined operation for our agents, keeping communication threads organized (actually a function of our mail app - it is just that Zix actually allows this - it was a deal breaker with countless others)
  • Of course, bullet proof and highly recognized encryption. (duh!)
  • Lovely people at Zix supporting us!
  • Excellent reliability and availability
  • Responsive to customer input on making things even better
  • We reported a major issue with accessing documents on a smart phone. The display hides the documents from the recipient, causing much confusion. I haven't heard any progress on improvement, and am quite surprised that this hasn't been addressed.
  • This is doing better now, far less complaints
  • I have never received free pizza from Zix. We always appreciate pizza.
  • Still no pizza.
It has almost perfectly met our needs. A title company with 25 users that requires encrypted communication countless times daily. I am not sure that it would work as well for a small 2 user setup due to cost; I haven't checked that. I work with a small dental office that fits that scenario. There are many HIPAA solutions that match their use case, however.

Still agree with what i wrote a while back on this.
We are required to comply with CFPB and many other requirements due to the sensitive information involved in real estate transactions. Our business is directly affected by lending institutions which require that we are diligent in surpassing these requirements. Zix does this effortlessly on our part.

Zix is a major component in our compliance portfolio.
We have had almost no problems internally, or with clients. Other than the snafu seeing documents on a smart phone.

I still have to leave it at 9 - but that is still very good!
We use Mac's and it works flawlessly with Mac Mail. We don't need anything else!
  • Online training
  • In-person training
  • Self-taught
Firsly, there is rarely even a need for support.

Secondly, it is readily avail (likely due the first item!)

The calls are answered quickly be staff who are both knowledgeable and excellent communicators. I found that they seemed to actually care about my situation and in getting the maximum efficiency with the Zix platform, Also, they are fun.
It has no problem with our workload. We depend heavily on the ability to transfer large documents securely through the system and it has never let us down.
Read Mike McCloskey's full review
March 10, 2020
Lance Soller | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are dealing with a healthcare company that requires HIPAA compliance and this was the easier way to effect that across email. We are able to effect protection of all the areas covered by the regulator with minimal interference by us and ease of use for the users and recipients of the encrypted emails. The rules are standard so it was as simple as switching them on without any additional configuration from our side. In addition to this it was extremely easy to set up trigger words that would encrypt the email if required even if it did not have HIPAA-specific information in it.
  • Protection of personal information gets restricted when sent out by mistake
  • Credit card fraud is defended by no details leaking out
  • Ease of use and integration into Outlook
  • Full HIPAA compliance
  • Not all third party email clients are supported
  • Encrypted replied remain in the system and do not sync back to the end user
  • Recipients of the emails might be confused around replying
Any emails that require encryption as dictated by specifics like HIPAA or variance insurance industry standards are made easy by the ability to simply enable these features without having to go through rules and manipulate them to suite the industry. If a user requires an email to be encrypted it can be done in the fly with a keyword trigger in the subject of the email.
Our customers using Zix fall into two verticals. Pharmaceutical and insurance. Both of these industries have staff dealing with sensitive person information that needs to be protected. Zix handles this very efficiently and without any intervention from the staff. The specific compliance boards accept Zix without needing further information around how we are handling the encryption.
The most critical part of using any application that affects email in any way is what is required from the users in order to get this to work. When IT over complicates any implementation the staff push back. This was not an option when it came to a system for encryption as this is a critical business requirement and having it turned off or manually implemented was not a choice. All changes were made in the back end and the users were not even made aware of any changes.
We are using Zin on GSuite and have found the integration to be flawless. We did not have to do anything on the front end to get it working. All our systems run through the same GMAIL servers and once integrated, all other systems that use the same email servers have the same rules applied to them as the email users. It made switching to Zix very simple.
Read Lance Soller's full review
March 07, 2020
Daniel Hereford | TrustRadius Reviewer
Zix is deployed globally across all our users and departments. First NBC Bank uses Zix to secure email between our clients and bankers. We have the solution integrated with our DLP solution to look for sensitive information and transparently encrypt email. We rely on the transparent TLS encryption, but the solution can also fall back to a traditional portal solution where the recipient must create a username and password.
  • Transparent encryption with other Zix clients and any email server that can negotiate TLS.
  • Simple deployment options with virtual, physical, or hosted options.
  • Zix can provide email protection with encryption and also email security with SPAM and content filtering.
  • Knowledgeable deployment engineers helped us deploy the solution on the phone without a costly specialist needed.
  • Branding the "Secured by Zix" stamp the solution places on secured messages would be a nice feature.
Zix is a good solution for people running on-premise email (especially Exchange). The cost of the solution is very reasonable in the marketplace and Zix is very good at it. Their Zix directory of other registered Zix users enables transparent encryption across a very large user base. Zix is well regarded in the financial sector due to strong security and auditing.
Yes, Zix helps us meet GLBA compliance rules and also our FDIC regulatory responsibility to protect customer data in transmission.
Easy to implement and easy to support for end users. ZixPortal for emails is simple and intuitive.
We were able to consolidate Proofpoint and Symantec solutions into a single cloud-based solution. Saved us money and allowed for unified monitoring and management.
Read Daniel Hereford's full review
March 06, 2020
Jason Wilson | TrustRadius Reviewer
Zix is used to either explicitly encrypt emails through a keyword in the subject line or implicitly encrypt emails based on heuristics that look at the content of the message. It is used across our healthcare organization to protect patient privacy as required by HIPAA and other government regulation.
  • Heuristics work well.
  • The ability to simplify explicit encryption through a keyword is nice.
  • Most recipients are prompted to a secure portal to read the message, but if the other user also uses Zix then the message is automatically decrypted.
  • Zix is appliance based (at least in our implementation). The encryption happens as the message leaves the mail server. This means there is nothing to install at the client. It makes Zix very non-intrusive.
  • Nothing comes to mind -- it just works.
Zix is well suited for an environment where the confidentiality of email messaging is important. For causal messaging it may not be worth the effort or expense.
Yes, we implemented about decade ago to make sure that we were in compliance with healthcare regulation.
I personally implemented Zix at the time (it was before I was in a management role). I found it very easy and straight forward to implement.
We are currently planning a migration of Exchange from on-prem to Office365. That Zix already supports Office365 will ease the migration.
Read Jason Wilson's full review
Mike Narumiya | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Zix as our mobile email app for our entire organization, as well as for ad hoc encryption needs. It helps solve our issue on dealing with BYOD. In addition, it provides us with means to send secure messages when necessary to our partners, with minimal impact to them. Zix is one of the easiest solutions we found while being attractively priced.
  • Zix mobile app. Easy to use. Anyone can use it with minimal if any, training.
  • The encryption registration for recipients is as painless as it gets. Simple, effective.
  • The app is easy to configure, and compatible with all devices. This made for quick deployment.
  • Customer support is a little hard to use. However, infrequently needed.
  • The app has limitations as you can only view one mailbox, calendar account. You can't check other mailboxes or calendars.
  • Lots of service windows, though few with actual outages. However, in our industry, we treat each update as a potential for an outage, and have to put in certain measures.
The mobile app is the best - easy to set up, quick to deploy, works well and requires very little in terms of support or training. So to need an app that is quick to deploy and easy to use, it is well suited.
Yes. We take this very seriously in healthcare. Zix is easy to use, and the fact it has some automation with other zix users in our market is a real perk. Familiarly in the community with the product makes it a great choice. Controlling BYOD, using this app, also solves a huge problem for us.
We were able to deploy to fairly novice users with very little training that resulted in very few issues. [The] only issue that popped up was on some subsequent upgrades zix put out. However, the initial go live went very well.
Zix incorporated very easily and was a reliable tool without few issues. Most issues we encountered were based more on our extremely unorthodox email/calendar usage (I've never seen anything like our configs at any other organization) and attributed to our email setup. Zix worked well, and had no performance issues or lag.
I give it the high rating due to the fact support will be rarely needed. Zix documentation is pretty solid, clear, and helpful. When contacted, Zix did a good job in resolving the issues and we were able to move forward without any issues on the zix side. The app is easy to use, and again requires little support.
Read Mike Narumiya's full review
Kendall White | TrustRadius Reviewer
We leverage Zix as our enterprise solution for email encryption, threat protection and email archiving. IT solves any of our concerns or issues pertaining to encrypting sensitive emails, archiving email and safeguarding/filtering our incoming emails to the cooperation. It serves as our standard for email encryption and provides a solution for us to communicate externally in a secure manner.
  • Simple and easy setup and installation.
  • Zix performs encrypting based upon contextual analysis which greatly reduces the number of false positives.
  • Zix greatly supports our needs to be HIPPA compliant and allows us to quarantine emails based upon selected criteria
  • Some end users struggle with the process to open secure emails, when they are not a Zix customer.
  • Generally have to contact support anytime you want to create or edit rules, etc. which can be time consuming.
Very well suited for the healthcare environment. Also great for companies with small IT support staff as the system is very low maintenance. The installation was very simple and straightforward and ongoing support has been excellent. The trusted relationship feature for all Zix customers is a great benefit and prevents the need for other Zix customers to log into a portal etc. to retrieve information.
Zix has allowed us to easily meet our needs around HIPPA compliancy, along with allowing us to establish a thorough archiving program. In addition it has helped in the PCI arena ensuring this information is transmitted securely whenever outside of our system. The ability to quarantine and “hold” and email before delivery allows us to inspect any information contained in the message.
Zix is very easy to set up and use. It is basically transparent for the vast majority of the users and for our recipients the portal is mainly straightforward and easy to use although we do have to walk some people through the process initially. Administration of the system is also easy although you have to contact support sometimes for assistance with any system configurations.
For us, Zix has made it possible to implement as an enterprise standard and eliminate the need to research and potentially install multiple products and/or adopt a best of breed strategy to acquire various solutions to create an enterprise solution. While we are not an O365 standard as of yet we do use it for both on premise and the limited number of O365 users we have.
Read Kendall White's full review
Robert Paul | TrustRadius Reviewer
We currently use Zix to ensure that sensitive data is encrypted when sent via email. Our entire organization uses it, as all e-mail gets relayed through the system to check for PII or other data. Given that we do a lot of work with financial and medical information, it is extremely important for us to have a solution that guarantees privacy protection.
  • Encrypts and secures e-mail: Zix transports emails through its own secure, off-network system so attackers have little chance at getting the info to begin with, let alone decrypting it.
  • Rules: Zix lets you set up rules to scan for certain topics or data, like socials or medical data, and then respond accordingly. This means not all e-mail has to go out secure, only the stuff that really needs to be.
  • Accessibility: Recipients who do not have Zix get a link to log on to a portal where they can read their secure messages, but if they have Zix on their own network, the e-mails come through directly to their inbox with a small header that says it was sent securely.
  • Configuration: The UI to configure Zix is rather dated and non-intuitive at times. Some of the configuration options aren't well documented.
  • Updates: I have yet to be able to update Zix without calling support. It is a complicated process. Updating the rules files is easy enough, I just wish the rest of the software was as simple.
  • Recipient UI: While it's nice to have a portal for recipients without Zix to log in to, it looks very dated, much like the other UIs. We've had vendors ask us if it was legitimate because of how basic it is.
Zix is great for anyone who has to send and receive sensitive data like financial or medical records and guarantee their security. If your organization needs to follow regulations like SOX, HIPAA, or something similar, and you have an IT team or managed service provider that can maintain it, Zix is a great solution. I also think it's best suited to an on-premises e-mail solution because of how it integrates with mail flow for scanning, although I believe they have a version for Office 365. If instead, your organization only occasionally sends things secured or does not have the IT support staff to maintain it, it might be worth looking for a different solution. For the most part, once it's installed, it doesn't require much hands-on, but there are enough occasions that without expertise it could remain daunting.
Zix absolutely meets the goal of regulatory compliance. We ourselves are not technically under any regulatory compliance models, but we look to HIPAA, SOX, and various NIST documents as best practices. Zix has pre-configured files and rules for all of these, and many that are not for legal compliance models but also fall under best practices.
From an end-user, sender perspective, there's literally nothing you have to do to use Zix. Just send your e-mail like you always would. If it has sensitive data, Zix will send it through its secure network encrypted. If you do need to send something without information that would trigger a rule, you can set up a subject keyword or flag an e-mail as "sensitive", and it'll encrypt that, too. For recipients, if they do not have Zix, it can be a little awkward, but it's still very functional. They log into a portal, read their message/documents, and can use the portal to reply as well, keeping the information secure in both directions.
Zix is very good about response times and information. They even proactively e-mail us about known issues. I have never had an issue go unresolved, and the support team tends to answer quickly unless it's a strange, complicated request. The only time that happened was doing a search through logs, and that was entirely on me and my unfamiliarity with their flavor of Linux.
Read Robert Paul's full review
January 10, 2020
Samuel Hadid | TrustRadius Reviewer
Zix, as you know, is an email gateway solution that helps prevent spam along with some DLP functions. In today's business spam is so abundant and constant that it not only becomes a security concern, but also an issue in terms of resource management. Zix helps our business in this regard.
  • Customizable DLP filters.
  • Easy management.
  • Management interfaces are not that intuitive.
  • Customer support is not as attentive as other products.
While I was not fully involved in the overall Zix solution implementation for the company, I do know that it went better as expected for our large-scale infrastructure; evidently the user database integration was done through an incremental approach in order to reduce the impact on operation environments and most users were informed about the change in order to monitor for any deployment issues. I think this would be even easier on short-scale implementation.
Their DLP solution is pretty efficient and customizable - There's a tool for managing filters, other for managing what's been quarantined, other to manage users. While the controls are not that user-friendly, it is very easy to implement and manage solutions without losing efficiency and/or capabilities. This is pretty helpful in the healthcare industry as you could imagine.
The different pages and controls have a feeling of the bare minimum to them as if the GUI was done without too much effort. This doesn't mean that this solution isn't very capable, on the contrary, but it is sometimes hard to leverage its full potential due to its poor layout making it not very intuitive to use. Very customizable but not so user-friendly.
Read Samuel Hadid's full review

What is Zix Email Threat Protection?

With organizations facing new and unprecedented challenges, the need for a secure modern workplace has never been greater. As companies seek to achieve more with less and keep their increasingly remote workforces productive, they also face an array of evolving security and compliance needs. The Zix Threat Protection solution provides a suite of productivity, security and compliance tools built on what the vendor describes as a secure, easy-to-manage platform designed to help users meet these challenges. It combines Microsoft 365 services, advanced threat protection, email encryption, large secure file sharing and unified information archiving – all backed by Zix support. The vendor boasts more than 80,000 organizations, including institutions in healthcare, finance and government, trust Zix to enable their employees to do their best work.

Zix Email Threat Protection Features

Has featurePolicy-based email protection and data loss prevention
Has featureGold standard email encryption
Has featureUnlimited cloud-based storage and eDiscovery for over 50+ data sources
Has featureSecure transmission and indefinite storage, sharing any file type up to 100 GB
Has featureAdvanced threat protection with adaptive, machine learning capabilities and multi-layer filtering
Has featureMicrosoft 365 access backed by 24/7/365 live support

Zix Email Threat Protection Videos (3)

ZixSuite Overview

Watch Establish a modern workplace for better data sharing, collaboration, flexibility, and remote work.

Watch Enabling a Remote Workforce with Zix