Confidence in threat protection

July 19, 2021

Zix: easy name to remember, easier product to use

January 17, 2021

Zix is a great secure and easy to use system.

January 17, 2021

ZIX review

December 19, 2020

Done and dusted!

March 10, 2020

Zip your way to a secure email with ZIX!

March 06, 2020

Zix Review

March 05, 2020
Zix is used across the organization for secure email.

Reviewer Sentiment

Positive ()
Negative ()
Learn how we calculate reviewer sentiment

TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2021
TrustRadius Best of Award, Best Of Usability 2021
TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2020

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Zix Email Threat Protection, and make your voice heard!

What is Zix Email Threat Protection?

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://zix.com/products/secure-cloud

9 people want pricing too

What is Paubox Email Suite?

Paubox, headquarted in San Francisco, offers their HIPAA compliant encrypted email service, the Paubox Email Suite, which features Encrypted Email, Inbound Security with ExecProtect, and Email DLP under one subscription.

What is Avanan?

Avanan connects leading security technologies to the most widely used enterprise cloud applications, in order to improve protection of sensitive corporate data and IP. According to the vendor, Avanan's one-click deployment allows customers to deploy a new security solution in seconds. Because it…

What is Zix Email Threat Protection?

With organizations facing new and unprecedented challenges, the need for a secure modern workplace has never been greater. As companies seek to achieve more with less and keep their increasingly remote workforces productive, they also face an array of evolving security and compliance needs. The Zix Email Threat Protection solution provides a suite of productivity, email security, and compliance tools built on a secure, easy-to-manage platform designed to help users meet these challenges. It combines Microsoft 365 services, advanced email security, email encryption, large secure file sharing, and unified information archiving – all backed by Zix support. More than 80,000 organizations, including institutions in healthcare, finance, and government, trust Zix to enable their employees to do their best work.

Zix Email Threat Protection Features

• Supported: Policy-based email protection and data loss prevention
  • Supported: Gold standard email encryption
  • Supported: Unlimited cloud-based storage and eDiscovery for over 50+ data sources
  • Supported: Secure transmission and indefinite storage, sharing any file type up to 100 GB
  • Supported: Advanced threat protection with adaptive, machine learning capabilities and multi-layer filtering
  • Supported: Microsoft 365 access backed by 24/7/365 live support

Deployment TypesOn-premise, SaaS
Operating SystemsWindows, Linux, Mac
Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android, Mobile Web
Supported Languages16 Languages Supported

What is Zix Email Threat Protection's best feature?

Reviewers rate Usability highest, with a score of 9.7.

Who uses Zix Email Threat Protection?

The most common users of Zix Email Threat Protection are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees) and the Hospital & Health Care industry.

James Piper | TrustRadius Reviewer
Support is very top notch, setup was well provided for. Migrating to new platform after they purchased AppRiver. Our whole organization use it. We use it to protect our users against email threats before they come to our servers.
  • Support is very responsive and timely. I have used both the online portal, email submission as well as telephone. All of my interactions with them have been superior!
  • When we have had an issue and it was a false positive, they are quick to react and allow it.
  • In the beginning they had a difficult phone structure to manage, however that has changed and it is much simpler.
  • When submitting claims online they could have an optional field for an Internal service ticket number.
We have the encryption piece as well as email filtering and they are very superior products compared to others I have used in the past. They have an Outlook plugin to send encrypted mail. Works very well. The plugin is very simple to install. We have it set up for all of our users.
Yes we are a financial institution so encryption is a must for us.
Older interface was difficult to find what you wanted. New interface is a dramatic improvement. Very well thought out for the end user. Very intuitive and easy to find what you are looking for.
We have not gotten around to using the archiving feature as of yet.
Zix is being utilized by our entire organization, across all of our various email domains to prevent spam and phishing attacks. We were using another "industry standard" program that was providing way too many false positives while still allowing malicious content through. Zix has resolved almost all of those issues.
  • Phishing protection.
  • Email release by users.
  • Message retraction when malicious content slips through.
  • Reporting spam that came through (can forward to an email address, but it is not displayed or easily found, must ask).
  • Downloading copies for review.
  • Speed (site is a little slow at times).
Recently a malicious email came through (direct email from a breached iCloud account pretending to be our president) - the email appeared by all points to be legitimate, but went to several former employees and several unrelated employees. Once caught, I was able to retract the message from all mailboxes and distribution lists with one click. This is much more effective than other systems with no retraction, and your only option is to send an email to all that received the previous email asking them to delete, or using PowerShell commands.
Email encryption is a separate service from threat protection - I have opted to utilize this feature and it is very helpful for our users that send confidential information or PII. You can license users individually, so you do not need to pick this up for everyone if only a few folks need it. Additionally, any email going to another Zix user is automatically encrypted, regardless of whether or not you have email encryption, which is becoming more useful as I'm noticing more Zix users popping up.
Compared to other spam utilities, it is very easy to set up and use. Customer use is on par with other spam filters out there, but the slight edge goes to Zix for ease of use. Logs are delivered daily, and no sign in is required by the user to release email (except malicious email content, that must be done by an administrator)
I find it a lot easier to obtain my Microsoft 365 licensing via the Zix portal - there is an automatic and manual option. I tend to keep my setting at manual as I add a lot of users - however, the licenses are quick to add and show up in my Microsoft portal almost immediately, ready to be assigned.
We are a healthcare non-profit. We have to comply with various security regulations including HIPAA, PCI, FERPA, etc. We needed a solution to be used across the entire organization. Zix automatically scans each outgoing message and ensures that protect information is encrypted or in the case of PCI, the information is quarantined and never is delivered.
  • Easy to use, Zix works behind the scenes.
  • The secure portal is great for sending sensitive data securely.
  • The secure portal feature set is robust, allowing to delete messages, recall, etc.
  • Great customer service.
  • The secure portal is great but some end users do not like having to log in to see messages.
  • The admin interface is kind of dated looking. Needs some updating.
Zix is great. In our organization, we have some staff that are very techy and some where technology is a struggle. Zix just works. End users can send emails and Zix scans and quarantines emails if needed. Staff and IT admins are alerted, IT can review the message, and staff has the ability to self-release (if configured that way).

After reviewing several other vendors/solutions. Zix is an incredible cloud-hosted solution, so no need to have a server onsite. Customer service has been great on setting up the initial ruleset, and the few times we needed some additional help on pulling reports.

Reporting is also great on Zix. You can track messages, see if a message was read (if using the secure portal), expire the message, etc.
Zix does an amazing job with DLP and compliance. Zix has a robust ruleset that can be added too or modified. We worked with the Zix team to customize our ruleset and was up and running within a couple of hours. For our agency, Zix ensures that we comply with PCI, FERPA, HIPAA, PII, etc.
Zix gets a perfect 10 out of 10. End users can just work. With our previous solution, staff would have to determine if a message had sensitive information and then send it securely. Zix scans each message and ensures that the message does not fail into one of the pre-defined rulesets.
We do not use Zix on Microsoft 365. We use it for Google Workplace (formerly G-Suite). I believe it has the same functionality. Anytime a message is quarantined we have it alert the end-user and the IT department. That is one of the great features of Zix is you can customize the alerts and have them send to different people/departments.
Our company uses Zix to ensure we can have a secure email service for our staff to be able to talk to each other and to outside companies to help promote the well being of our clients. It allows us to be able to email securely and with confidence, and well as archive our emails.
  • The customer service is amazing.
  • It is simple to use.
  • It can be used across different email platforms.
  • I do not use the actual main web page of Zix, so that would be nice if I could learn it.
  • Having access to change our own secure word instead of needing to reach out to Zix to do it.
  • Honestly, we do not have many issues.
I have already suggested Zix to many of our colleagues in the home healthcare field, and many of our colleagues also use Zix, which makes it very easy to communicate back and forth. We also use it within our own agency to talk to each other since it is health care, and it is important to be secure and sensitive.
The email encryption products do help with our regulatory compliances for data protection because we need to be HIPAA compliant with our communications, and Zix offers this as an option, which allows us to know we are being the most secure we can be. This gives huge peace of mind.
Zix itself to use in an email is very easy to use, and this is what we use it most frequently for. The one area I am not very familiar with is to go to the actual Zix webpage and login and access the data that way. I have never had much of a need to do that, but I also am not totally sure what it all offers.
We do not use Microsoft 365 for email purposes, so I cannot speak to that, but we do use Apple's service of iMail, and that has always worked out just perfectly, which is really nice to have it be integrated, and it is also able to be used for emails that come to us that are not part of iMail.
It's being used primarily by unions who have to deal with the personal information of their members to protect such things as medical claims, etc. Users rely upon automatic rules-based encryption of email to comply with HIPAA and their insurance requirements.
  • Automatic encryption by keyword.
  • Unobtrusive technology.
  • Minimum user count.
  • Pricing
Zix does a lot, but we mainly look to it for email encryption. It makes sense when you have 25 users or more and where confidential information is being sent outside the company and needs to be encrypted for regulatory purposes.
Yes, used for HIPAA compliance and to comply with insurance audits. It automatically encrypts emails determined by out of the box rules to contain personal identifier information, financial information, or medical information. Users can also add keywords in the email or subject line to ensure it will be encrypted.
Ease of use helps ensure compliance too.
Automatic rules-based encryption. Ability to force encryption by use of keywords. No user training or actions necessary. No software required on computers. I can't imagine it being easier to use. Initial setup requires system administrators to make MX/DNS changes but that is to be expected for a third-party product.
Have not evaluated aspects other than the encryption, but because threat detection and archiving can be extra-cost options with Microsoft 365, this can potentially mean the need for more expensive Microsoft 365 subscriptions.
We are a small employee benefit brokerage and we all use Zix. We deal heavily in PHI(personal health information) along with SS#'s and everything else it takes to enroll in insurance. Transferring that date securely and easily is a huge relief.
  • Sending info between Zix members is automatically secure, amazing!
  • Encrypting emails is also super easy and more importantly, easy on the other end for our clients.
  • It's super smart two, catching things I make have not thought to encrypt.
  • It's just plain easy.
  • I honestly can't say I'd change anything. Really love Zix!
Zix is phenomenal in the insurance industry as many carriers utilize it. Frankly, seeing how easy it was to use when receiving encrypted emails drove me to dig into their services and I'm so glad I did. The best for my industry for sure!
Yes, it does and I wouldn't be a customer if not.
It was as easy of an implementation as I've ever had and I'm not uber tech savvy and best of all requires no maintenance. Also, it's smarter than me and catches things in case I ever forget.
It covers all the bases and works well with Gmail/G Suite too.
Zix is used by all county offices as a way to ensure sensitive information is kept secure at a time when it is least thought about, through email. Most staff believe their email systems are secure; Zix ensures it. Using the preconfigured filter lexicons, Zix ensures medical, staffing, and other personal or sensitive information is secured by automatically encrypting the information before it sends it to an outside party. It is great to have the peace of mind that our information is automatically being reviewed before being sent.
  • Automatic review of messages before being sent
  • Enabling staff to encrypt messages regardless of information
  • Always reviewing and updating the lexicons based on current laws, policies, and practices
  • The only issue: I wish Zix currently had an auto-update feature of the lexicons, rather than having to perform the updates manually.
The cost can be an issue for some organizations.
The automatic review of messages based on preconfigured lexicons greatly assists in making sure sensitive information is not sent unsecured.
Because you do not have to change configurations much, I find the use of Zix to be very easy. There are programs out there where you have to re-learn the application in order to make changes. This is not one of them. The online prompts and reminders are a great assistance as well.
December 23, 2020

Zix! A must-have system

Zix is being used to Encrypt our emil system. Working with the staff was a smooth transition and an easy implementation process. The techs worked with me and gave me the support that we needed. The encryption system is very robust and easy to use for our end users.
  • Encryption.
  • Detection.
  • Security.
  • Expand email functions.
  • More integration with Google.
  • More options for support.
Our company is only using Zix for email encryption. The easy to use system and the robust infrastructure gave us a lot of options and different ways that it could be used. Our users are able to implementation encryption with just a simple key word or it is able to scan our emails and automatically encrypt them. That's something that we love!
Yes, the robust options given to us was a plus. We are able to configure the system so that our emails encrypt automatically. This takes the work out of the users hands and gives the company a peace of mind. No more human error or "I forgot the key word," Zix will take care of it for you!
I gave this a 10 because the users don't have to do anything for their emails to be encrypt. With Zix automatic system, sometimes the end users don't even know that their emails are being encrypted. And with the reporting system we are able to see if what emails are being encrypted and adjust if needed.
I would like to see more integration into gmail. Our system is working quite fine so I can't complain.
We purchased and use Zix for TWO main reasons: to enhance email threat protection, and to have a HIPAA-compliant solution for sending secure emails to our patients. The problems are resolved are reduced risk of cheap cyber attacks like phishing, malware or ransomware. The other issue resolved is our inability to send PHI out via email securely and in compliance with HIPAA.
  • Makes it easy for those receiving emails to create an account and retrieve the email.
  • Peace of mind knowing emails are secure, and can be tracked.
  • Monitoring inbound email threats is easy.
  • Support has been very quick resolving or explaining support tickets I've created.
  • The portal is tricky to navigate if you're not familiar with it.
  • The portal has shown extensive lag and inability to click certain buttons.
  • I am an early Administrator, but entrusting other users to check and clear their "Quarantine" box of blocked email seems daunting. - Fear of teaching Zix to others as I still have a lot to learn myself.
Healthcare - Secure HIPAA compliant messaging. It makes it extremely easy and is such a relief having this solution in place so we can minimize the overhead involved with communicating with our patients effectively.
It is backed by a BAA and is HIPAA compliant, which is we need in order to confidently send our data anywhere and everywhere we do. With Zix portal, we know information inbound or outbound is protected and secure. We also enjoy the fact that our patients are able to send information back if necessary, and they too are protected and secure by using the portal.
The portal, from an administrator standpoint can be rather tricky. The terminology can be confusing, and so far I've gotten lost a few times trying to find an easy way to simply look up if a message was received. Once I know where I am going, I am good, but it can be tricky.
The configuration is tough too, and I'm thankful for having a tech walk me through what he did, although I could not replicate.
Something about understanding the rules from the portal's perspective when it comes to inbound vs. outbound was rather confusing. So was the rule making when deciding filters, etc. for our email and how they'd be sent.
We use Google Workspace, but it does exactly that. So far, we have seen great success with Zix behaving the way it's intended to and working the way we set it up. It integrates nicely and only took a few clicks and exceptions within our Google Workspace Admin console to get started.
Doug Kinzinger | TrustRadius Reviewer
Zix's portfolio easily supports a variety of workloads - email security, email encryption, antispam/antivirus, and now cloud backup. Their support is quick and efficient, and I have no trouble recommending them.
  • Antispam
  • Email encryption
  • Cloud backup
  • Logging/quarantine
Zix is the no-hassle choice for email encryption and for antispam filtering.
Yes. Zix-to-Zix customer emails encrypted automatically, and easy-to-use portal for those not using the service.
Very easy
It's quickly become a no-brainer for Office 365 customers
December 19, 2020

ZIX review

We use Zix for web content filtering, as well as for outbound encryption for keeping sensitive information save, and to make sure that emails are not forwarded to unintended additional recipients. We have used Zix for 5 plus years, on both an internal Exchange server, as well as for Office 365 through the Zix gateway using Smart Host connectors to Office 365.
  • Excellent encryption
  • One of the market leaders
  • Ease of use after implementation
  • Ease of use. Other competitors platform is WAY easier to use and customize.
  • You have to cover THE ENTIRE ORGANIZATION with coverage, even though only a handful will need to use email encryption
  • The Zix Protect platform is a complete joke to customize and use.
Once Zix is setup, it works fine. Trying to add a new rule you might as well call for support because it is cumbersome and clunky. Tech support often seem annoyed when you reach out to them. Please look at all of the alternatives when looking into email encryption before selecting ZIX.
Yes, this meets the corporate compliance regarding data protection. Other platforms offer various other incentives that Zix isn't offering.
Again, customization and initial setup is very clunky and could be streamlined a lot better.
Zix is setup for us as a Smart Host so anything that we send goes through their Zix gateway. When a user sends an encrypted email, this user doesn't have to do anything other than using a keyword "encrypt" in the subject line, then the entire thread is encrypted. The user doesn't have to do anything else in the back and forth on that specific email.
Zix is being used by my company to address the need for secure, encrypted emails, both with our partners who are also in the Zix network, and externally with third parties and clients who are outside of the Zix network. Zix also provides us with a comprehensive spam filtering package that filters emails, and tests any links clicked from within an email by our users.
  • Email Encryption - Their protocols are secure, and the process to encrypt is completely customizable with different methods available to provide ease of use for our employees at different levels of computer knowledge.
  • Spam Filtering - Thus far their spam filtering has been top notch and the configuration options provided allow for a very detailed level of granularity depending on user and department.
  • Corporate branding - With any encrypted emails sent by our organization, they are branded prominently for us with our logos and name which aids significantly in maintaining a professional appearance.
  • The only area I've found that needs work is in creating a custom filter rule. They have the option available but it didn't work as well as it should without contacting support. They had to bounce it to a higher level of support so it could be addressed on the development end. However it was resolved quickly and they did whatever they had to do to make it work as it should.
  • There was some issue with communication between their sales department and the deployment team who assisted us, however they were able to get the issues resolved quickly so it was a minimal issue.
Very well suited and painless with their email encryption solution for small businesses and medium sized organizations like the one I work for. I can't imagine there would be any issues with even larger organizations either. Also their spam filtering works great for the same small/medium organizations. I'm not sure how well it would translate to larger organizations.
Zix absolutely meets this goal as their protocols are secure and aren't weakened by the process of making it easy for our employees to use. We have tested internally and externally exchanging mails with "compromising" data that might slip out due to negligence and in every case so far Zix (according to configuration) has either automatically encrypted the message or kept it from being sent and then notifying the user who sent it. It is very well executed.
Zix has top-notch customizability with the way emails can be encrypted. It can be configured to add a button to Outlook, to encrypted with a subject keyword, to encrypt automatically based on types of information in an email, and it works with Outlook, and with the Office365 Outlook Web Application. The interfaces, both with encryption and spam filtering are well designed and incredibly intuitive for the admin team to use also.
It works seamlessly with our corporate Office 365 setup, whether providing manual or automatic encryption based on scanning for specific content inside of emails, link checking, and spam filtering. The content filters are outstanding and anything that manages to slip through as spammers evolve their methods are addressed within a day or even a couple of hours after reporting. Their team is on the ball, developing new filters and putting them in place. It interested seamlessly with O365 and with Outlook and Exchange.
Great, knowledgeable, fast, friendly, definitely an on the ball team.
March 10, 2020

Done and dusted!

Lance Soller | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are dealing with a healthcare company that requires HIPAA compliance and this was the easier way to effect that across email. We are able to effect protection of all the areas covered by the regulator with minimal interference by us and ease of use for the users and recipients of the encrypted emails. The rules are standard so it was as simple as switching them on without any additional configuration from our side. In addition to this it was extremely easy to set up trigger words that would encrypt the email if required even if it did not have HIPAA-specific information in it.
  • Protection of personal information gets restricted when sent out by mistake
  • Credit card fraud is defended by no details leaking out
  • Ease of use and integration into Outlook
  • Full HIPAA compliance
  • Not all third party email clients are supported
  • Encrypted replied remain in the system and do not sync back to the end user
  • Recipients of the emails might be confused around replying
Any emails that require encryption as dictated by specifics like HIPAA or variance insurance industry standards are made easy by the ability to simply enable these features without having to go through rules and manipulate them to suite the industry. If a user requires an email to be encrypted it can be done in the fly with a keyword trigger in the subject of the email.
Our customers using Zix fall into two verticals. Pharmaceutical and insurance. Both of these industries have staff dealing with sensitive person information that needs to be protected. Zix handles this very efficiently and without any intervention from the staff. The specific compliance boards accept Zix without needing further information around how we are handling the encryption.
The most critical part of using any application that affects email in any way is what is required from the users in order to get this to work. When IT over complicates any implementation the staff push back. This was not an option when it came to a system for encryption as this is a critical business requirement and having it turned off or manually implemented was not a choice. All changes were made in the back end and the users were not even made aware of any changes.
We are using Zin on GSuite and have found the integration to be flawless. We did not have to do anything on the front end to get it working. All our systems run through the same GMAIL servers and once integrated, all other systems that use the same email servers have the same rules applied to them as the email users. It made switching to Zix very simple.
We use it for secure emails to and from our customers sending sensitive information such as account numbers and social security numbers or change of personal information.
  • I put the ZIX tutorial button and the login button on our bank's website for our customers to be able to use to contact us.
  • Customers send all the banking information to send and receive wire transfers. We used to enforce in person only.
  • I receive all the outside emails from our customers and they were not able to send sensitive information before. Now they can give me everything I need to research before I call them back!
  • I am able to securely send contracts with sensitive information.
  • I don't like that it skips a line when hitting "enter". Especially for my signature and info area.
  • I would like more fonts.
All of our customers need to send sensitive information whether it is account numbers, social security numbers or contracts. We were having to encrypt PDFs with a password prior.
Yes, it does. We have had this worry and need for quite a long time and now we are compliant and feel we are doing our due diligence to protect everyone.
No problems registering. No problems finding and using the options I need. Way easier than Outlook.
It identifies when attachments are added to emails and encrypts even when I forget to put our keyword on the subject line.
March 05, 2020

Zix Review

Zix is used across the organization for secure email.
  • Great support
  • Integration with GSuite
  • Ability to send larger attachments
Zix is easy to use and is integrated with GSuite.
Yes, the Zix service ensures that PII data is sent securely.
Users can send a secure email by having a keyword such as secure anywhere in the subject line.
We do not use Microsoft 365.
Robert Paul | TrustRadius Reviewer
We currently use Zix to ensure that sensitive data is encrypted when sent via email. Our entire organization uses it, as all e-mail gets relayed through the system to check for PII or other data. Given that we do a lot of work with financial and medical information, it is extremely important for us to have a solution that guarantees privacy protection.
  • Encrypts and secures e-mail: Zix transports emails through its own secure, off-network system so attackers have little chance at getting the info to begin with, let alone decrypting it.
  • Rules: Zix lets you set up rules to scan for certain topics or data, like socials or medical data, and then respond accordingly. This means not all e-mail has to go out secure, only the stuff that really needs to be.
  • Accessibility: Recipients who do not have Zix get a link to log on to a portal where they can read their secure messages, but if they have Zix on their own network, the e-mails come through directly to their inbox with a small header that says it was sent securely.
  • Configuration: The UI to configure Zix is rather dated and non-intuitive at times. Some of the configuration options aren't well documented.
  • Updates: I have yet to be able to update Zix without calling support. It is a complicated process. Updating the rules files is easy enough, I just wish the rest of the software was as simple.
  • Recipient UI: While it's nice to have a portal for recipients without Zix to log in to, it looks very dated, much like the other UIs. We've had vendors ask us if it was legitimate because of how basic it is.
Zix is great for anyone who has to send and receive sensitive data like financial or medical records and guarantee their security. If your organization needs to follow regulations like SOX, HIPAA, or something similar, and you have an IT team or managed service provider that can maintain it, Zix is a great solution. I also think it's best suited to an on-premises e-mail solution because of how it integrates with mail flow for scanning, although I believe they have a version for Office 365. If instead, your organization only occasionally sends things secured or does not have the IT support staff to maintain it, it might be worth looking for a different solution. For the most part, once it's installed, it doesn't require much hands-on, but there are enough occasions that without expertise it could remain daunting.
Zix absolutely meets the goal of regulatory compliance. We ourselves are not technically under any regulatory compliance models, but we look to HIPAA, SOX, and various NIST documents as best practices. Zix has pre-configured files and rules for all of these, and many that are not for legal compliance models but also fall under best practices.
From an end-user, sender perspective, there's literally nothing you have to do to use Zix. Just send your e-mail like you always would. If it has sensitive data, Zix will send it through its secure network encrypted. If you do need to send something without information that would trigger a rule, you can set up a subject keyword or flag an e-mail as "sensitive", and it'll encrypt that, too. For recipients, if they do not have Zix, it can be a little awkward, but it's still very functional. They log into a portal, read their message/documents, and can use the portal to reply as well, keeping the information secure in both directions.
Zix is very good about response times and information. They even proactively e-mail us about known issues. I have never had an issue go unresolved, and the support team tends to answer quickly unless it's a strange, complicated request. The only time that happened was doing a search through logs, and that was entirely on me and my unfamiliarity with their flavor of Linux.
Samuel Hadid | TrustRadius Reviewer
Zix, as you know, is an email gateway solution that helps prevent spam along with some DLP functions. In today's business spam is so abundant and constant that it not only becomes a security concern, but also an issue in terms of resource management. Zix helps our business in this regard.
  • Customizable DLP filters.
  • Easy management.
  • Management interfaces are not that intuitive.
  • Customer support is not as attentive as other products.
While I was not fully involved in the overall Zix solution implementation for the company, I do know that it went better as expected for our large-scale infrastructure; evidently the user database integration was done through an incremental approach in order to reduce the impact on operation environments and most users were informed about the change in order to monitor for any deployment issues. I think this would be even easier on short-scale implementation.
Their DLP solution is pretty efficient and customizable - There's a tool for managing filters, other for managing what's been quarantined, other to manage users. While the controls are not that user-friendly, it is very easy to implement and manage solutions without losing efficiency and/or capabilities. This is pretty helpful in the healthcare industry as you could imagine.
The different pages and controls have a feeling of the bare minimum to them as if the GUI was done without too much effort. This doesn't mean that this solution isn't very capable, on the contrary, but it is sometimes hard to leverage its full potential due to its poor layout making it not very intuitive to use. Very customizable but not so user-friendly.
April 03, 2019

Has Potential

We use Zix for email encryption, security, and business continuity across the entire organization.
  • Its data loss protection filter works particularly well with very little false positives.
  • Seamless encryption for sending emails to existing Zix customers is a plus.
  • The hosted platform could use a much-needed facelift. Can be a bit cumbersome to use and is not very easy to navigate.
  • The ZixOne App should incorporate access to the local calendars on the device. Many users use local calendars to coordinate their personal and work life and not having this functionality has been a burden. Inserting attachments in messages with this app is also clunky as you can only attach one picture or file at a time (no multiple selections) and it goes into the body of the message instead of being a separate attachment.
It's a well-suited product for any organization that is required to protect sensitive information where compliance is a must.
Yes, Zix most definitely meets this goal. With the appropriate DLP rules in place kicking back the non-encrypted email with sensitive information forces users to follow established policies for safe email handling practices.
As mentioned before, the hosted platform needs plenty of updating to make it more user-friendly. We used a competing product before that was much easier to use. We switched just to combine the protection service we had with them with the preexisting email encryption services we already had with Zix as we were able to negotiate a better price. The encryption piece was the deciding factor to move to Zix rather than the competitor because our regulators (NCUA, Florida OFR) use Zix as well.
November 20, 2017

Early review!

We have set parameters by which email messages from any of our employees which contain certain keywords or phrases will activate Zix. We have a concern that our email correspondence with clients and third parties be secure.
  • Since we have only been using Zix for a few weeks, I have very limited experience to base comments on. Our initial experience is that it appears easy for clients to use (not necessarily true for third parties with which we deal).
  • The fact that key words or phrases will trigger email being sent by Zix is a great feature.
  • Zix appears to be user friendly within our staff.
  • Our real estate paralegal reports that lenders and other companies which have heightened security on their end are not always able to receive email that has been sent securely by our office users of Zix.
  • When our emails are not received because of lack of compatability, we experience problems.
Excellent for sending correspondence to clients in normal settings. [Concerned] that correspondence is not being received by lenders and other parties who have their own secure systems in place which may limit receipt of emails from our office.
The effectiveness appears to be a factor of the quality of systems in use by the recipients.
Limited experience. May have better/ more detailed comments after more use of the product.
We are a medical laboratory and Zix is used to send patient reports to physicians used internally as a whole and recommended for use across our entire sales force. We use the platform that scans emails for PHI and encrypts based on what it finds; or you can force encryption. Although, because it automatically checks for encryption when it goes through the Zix portal, my employees are apprehensive as we do not get a confirmation in any way as to what was encrypted for not, which has significantly slowed the trust and usage of the software - employees are still going to our old provider to send the emails they know need to be encrypted.
  • As the Compliance Officer, it helps me sleep at night knowing that there is gatekeeper before that information is sent out.
  • The set up was a bit difficult and took significantly more time than originally anticipated to get started. The company implementing the level of Zix that we have that does the scanning really needs to be sure they have a tech person to do the implementation.
  • When an email is sent securely, it should show a badge of some sort, like what appears on receipient's emails with the blue banner saying it was sent securely. As the sender, it is very unnerving to just have to trust that it worked the way that you hoped it would. I know you can force encryption but that really defeats the purpose of having the enhanced platform that we have.
  • Although it is nice to have zix to zix customers be able to communicate freely (as both are encrypted) the same problem as above still arises, that there is no indication that the email was sent securely. I worry about this most when we send patient reports to our hospitals who are not familiar with our usage of Zix and may then question why we didn't send securely.
Hopefully. Still skeptical given the concern regarding notification to user that email was sent securely.
Implementation was far from easy. Educating the employees to trust something they can not see is difficult, and they remain skeptical. Especially as we are not able to explain to them all the ins and outs of the policies that it runs through when scanning for necessary encryption.I almost thing that going with the Zix Mail where they have to push the button to send securely would have been a better implementation for our company as they would then know for certain it was sent securely.
Phillip Rea, SPSM | TrustRadius Reviewer
Zix is being utilized across our whole organization. It has greatly helped with our previous spam and ransom ware issue.
  • Helps with Spam block
  • Helps encrypt important emails
  • It can improve on the amount of work it takes to implement the software.
Zix is a little overkill for our company, but we know we are in good hands.
We are using Zix across most of our organization. We needed a secure email solution and we wanted for it to be as seamless and easy for our end users as possible and provide for some level of DLP.
  • Seamless integration with Exchange and MS Outlook.
  • Market penetration - seamless integration means that secure communication with those of our business partners who also use Zix is simple - and MANY of our business partners participate.
  • DLP rulesets are well designed and seem to be very effective.
  • Setup and implementation was handled professionally and promptly. My team only had good things to say about their experience with getting Zix off the ground.
  • I'd like to see logging of quarantined messages - who viewed it and when. Particularly when items are flagged from C level or board of director mailboxes, given the sensitive nature of them, we want to know if and when IT staff are viewing attachments or messages that they really shouldn't have to.
  • Better visibility into DLP rulesets. It's a black box without doing proactive digging.
  • We use this so that our customer base can send us secure documents, sometimes unsolicited. This can create opportunities for threat actors to deliver compromised documents into our environment. A sandboxed viewing area or comprehensive attachment scanning would be really great.
Zix is really well suited for B2B communications; I can't think of many areas for improvement for this use. Where it doesn't shine so brightly is B2C communications, where we want to provide easy, customer initiated opportunities to communicate with us via secure mail.
Yes. Actually - our regulators also use Zix. It forestalls the conversation right out of the gate about secure communications.
Zix does a really great job of making it easy for my organization to use secure email.
Dan Brown | TrustRadius Reviewer
We trust Zix to handle secure routing of sensitive information, specifically Personally Identifiable Information (PII) that should not be transmitted insecurely. Zix is used to automatically detect the recipient mail server that all of our employees send to, automatically securing and encrypting PII when necessary to reduce the human error factor, and keep our organizations safe and compliant.
  • Zix shows a banner on secure emails to help users trust the transmission.
  • Zix gives us flexibility with an Outlook addin for additional options.
  • Receiving and logging in to Zix can be intimidating for recipients not on secure email systems, but it is a one time setup.
  • Expensive
Zix is an excellent solution for law firms that need to ensure compliance and security to the highest degree. In North Carolina the NC Bar Association has approved and recommended Zix to be a trustworthy source and leader to provide excellent and unmatched security and protection of personally identifiable information.
Yes, Zix helps with compliance and recommendations of many regulatory bodies that recommend no insecure or unencrypted transmission of personally identifiable information such as drivers license numbers, bank accounts, wiring instructions, date of birth, social security numbers and other sensitive information, all TLS encrypted and secure and compliant. It is great!
Once's it's setup up, it's incredibly easy to use. Our staff doesn't need to do anything at all, it's completely self sufficient in the background and runs itself. There is a client portal that is slightly more complicated to use, but if you can log on to any web mail service, you can handle this.
October 13, 2017

I PIX ZIX

Zix is being used across our entire organization to protect the sensitivity of the data that we regularly transmit to business partners and customers. Being in the insurance business we receive and send a great deal of personal information and Zix enables us to do so without worry of the data being compromised or insecure in any way.
  • Zix can identify emails that contain sensitive data and ensure that the data is sent in a secure manner.
  • Minimizes human error in the handling of sensitive data
  • I think Zix may consider reaching out to customers on an annual basis to apprise of new developments, features, and other details.
  • Zix is most suited for email security.
  • Zix seems to have the most seamless process for email security
  • Extremely easy to install
YES, this meets our goal of email security. The best part about it is the seamless transmission of message of a secure nature. In most instances, I can even tell the difference in security even though I can rest assured that 100% of my emails are secure.
It couldn't possibly be any easier!