Adobe InDesign Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Brittney Collier profile photo
I have used Adobe InDesign as a member of the marketing department. Myself and a senior designer had access to Adobe InDesign to create content for marketing campaigns and for our website. While Adobe Illustrator works well for creating graphics and banners, Adobe InDesign helped us to create marketing collateral with a page layout like eBooks, whitepapers, and flyers. It helped us to create content that explained the benefits of our products to customers and ultimately, assisted in generating leads and making sales.
  • Adobe is great for creating content like eBooks and whitepapers. Many people use simpler applications like Microsoft Word for creating these types of documents, but Adobe provides more flexibility in layout which helps you to make more engaging content. The platform is more responsive to vector files - enabling you to change image colors. Also, text boxes and images can be placed anywhere on the page rather than having to follow a cursor for placement like one would have to when using Microsoft Word. It seems like the platform was built for creating more engaging content with a variety of imagery and text on every page.
  • One of my favorite features on Adobe is the option to create color themes. Most companies I've worked for have had brand guidelines that must be followed when creating content. One of the most important guidelines are the brand colors. With Adobe, I can save the company's brand colors as a color theme to make sure that every time I open the application, our brand colors are stored. This shortens the amount of time it takes to start a project and enables me to select, deselect, and change colors to see which brand color works best.
  • I love the "Layers" feature on Adobe InDesign. When working on other platforms, I always have to go to the images or text boxes on the page and select "bring forward" or "move backward" to make sure everything is displayed properly. For example, if I want white text on top of a blue shape, the blue shape may come forward and the text will be under the blue shape. This never happens in Adobe InDesign because you can separate your text and images into layers. In most cases, since text is supposed to be read, the text should be on top of all images and shapes. In Adobe InDesign, I can group every text box into a layer that always stays on top of the shapes and images.
  • The biggest issue that I think hinders people from using Adobe InDesign is how overwhelming it is to get started. The interface is not intuitive and doesn't mimic the layout of any similar application. Because of that, it can be difficult to adopt if your company's employees have not already had experience using it. In my case, I had been introduced to InDesign as an intern and later accepted a full-time role on a team where I was able to improve to an intermediate level because our senior digital designer (an InDesign expert) was there to support me as I used InDesign for content creation. In my opinion, this is a rare opportunity where a company already has an expert available. Having such a difficult learning curve to overcome also seems to impact employee workload. Since it takes a while for employees to understand how to use the platform, creating content using this application is often tacked onto one or to people who understand how to use it - making the person(s) feel overwhelmed.
Adobe InDesign is best for companies who rely on content to sell their products and need that content to be engaging. Even though the platform can be difficult to understand, it's worth it to invest the time to understand it if you have a complicated product. I have worked for two SaaS companies and selling software can require very detailed and technical explanations. Having Adobe would enable your marketing and/or design team to turn those technical details into colorful pages and graphics that keep prospective customers engaged. It would lower costs in the long run because you'll have employees with deep knowledge of the products creating these documents/graphics quickly rather than outsourcing to a design or marketing agency who would need to learn about your product and how it works for every piece of content you'll need.

Unless you're creating a catalog, I would not recommend Adobe InDesign for companies with products that can be explained in a photo or one simple graphic. It would be best to utilize Adobe Illustrator for those types of products.
Read Brittney Collier's full review
Tobie Anderson profile photo
We use InDesign for all of our print designs/layouts. As far as I am concerned it is worth the cost. Brochures, newsletters, ads, designing for social media...Adobe InDesign does it all. We are able to design and then export in several different formats which is also very helpful to be able to share files with others. Also crosses from Mac to PC platforms with ease.
  • Page layout
  • Compatibility with other programs
  • Great updates to the software
  • User friendly. I was a Quark user way back in the day and was able to easily transfer to InDesign without training.
  • The picture boxes can be a little tricky at first but once you get the hang of that the features are great.
InDesign is great for page layouts but not as great with designing for the web. I would say Photoshop would still be the preferred program for that. Great for brochures, ads, business cards, anything print related. We also use it to design for social media and can easily export those files as .jpg.
Read Tobie Anderson's full review
Sam Bean profile photo
November 06, 2019

A top performer!

We use Adobe InDesign to create layouts for a wide variety of printed materials for our clients. It is an intuitive software to use and we would not be able to be as productive using any other publishing program. The ability to layout a document quickly whether it be 1 page or 500 pages is critical to our success, and InDesign allows us to do that.
  • Easy to create custom text layouts.
  • Easy to incorporate photos and graphics into documents along with the text.
  • Easy to organize large documents.
  • Font management without 3rd party software additions.
  • More consistent keystroke commands with other Adobe products.
  • Greater program speed.
InDesign is a layout program for creating documents with text, photos and graphics - and is excellent for that. While it has some drawing tools, it is a bit cumbersome to use those tools, which I only use when needed for very basic quick graphic additions.
Read Sam Bean's full review
John La Belle profile photo
Indesign is being used in our graphic design company for the final layout of print publications including books, brochures, business cards, wedding invitation packages, flyers, stationery packages, posters, signage and most other artwork for printing and specialties.
  • Powerful tools for handling large amounts of text, with full control over white space, kerning, justification, leading and all other aspects of typesetting.
  • Combining text with graphics from other applications such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, CorelDRAW! and other graphic programs.
  • Powerful Prepress controls for pre-flighting your print publication, handling overprints and trapping, and doing both Pantone spot color as well as 4 color process separations.
  • The only thing I don't like about InDesign is the CS Live Adobe Community Help interface. It's highly buggy and difficult to search. It's usually much easier to just do a Google search for a solution or feature you cant find, rather than try to use the Community interface.
InDesign is especially well designed for use in the Graphic Design, Printing and Advertising industries.
Read John La Belle's full review
Jason Wilkinson profile photo
Adobe InDesign is used across our whole company, but predominantly in the design department. Used as a platform for proofing client visuals and as a lightweight design program for larger documents such as brochures and magazines.
  • Super fast design program. If you are used to illustrator give it a whirl.
  • Handles typography and layout brilliantly.
  • The go to software for magazine and book design. Proper Pagination.
  • Interactive PDFs are old school, would benefit for an online option.
  • Missing ability to open PDFs in InDesign.
  • So so so many options for typography, can have conflicting settings.
Any document that is more than a few pages long, you should always run too Indesign. It saves your computer for breaking under the heavy load of illustrator or photoshop, and even allows you to preview Easter artwork at a low resolution. Magazines, books, brochures, packaging and complex pitch document are where indesign really comes into its own.
Read Jason Wilkinson's full review
Brandon Hightower profile photo
October 27, 2019

InDesign Review

We use InDesign in our technology classes. They use it to create posters and other fliers, with the purpose of learning the program. Our public relations team also uses it for creating the posters and fliers that we put around the school for events that are coming up within the school.
  • InDesign is really fast and can help boost production.
  • It is an awesome program for creating posters or fliers.
  • It does not work well with opening PDFs.
  • It can be a little difficult to get used to for first-timers to the program.
One place where we have found that InDesign has been really useful is with our public relations team at our school. When we have upcoming events or anything going on at the school they will use InDesign to create the posters and flyers for those events. We've also tried it in a technology class and our students have loved it and the ability it gives them to create something.
Read Brandon Hightower's full review
Chris Dieguez profile photo
October 24, 2019

InDesign your Life

The marketing and design department uses InDesign exclusively (versus things like Publisher or the ancient QuarkXPress). Overall, InDesign is used to create publications or multi-page layout documents. We typically use InDesign to streamline our efforts for marketing in multiple languages and master pages, layers, and a combination of other items allows us to export different marketing materials quickly and efficiently.
  • Multi-page layout
  • Publication Design
  • Magazine Design
  • Print Design
  • Pre-Press
  • Introduction to new tools
  • Paragraph styles should be more intuitive
  • Have pre-set document layouts for InDesign newbies
Adobe InDesign is great for multi-page layout marketing and allows anyone to create a magazine, a newspaper, a book, all in minutes. I would not use Adobe InDesign for image manipulation, creation of vector content, etc., as Photoshop and Illustrator fill those niches entirely. I like to consider Adobe InDesign as part of the trifecta of Adobe programs in that it fills its role while working with Photoshop/Illustrator to accomplish goals.
Read Chris Dieguez's full review
Mike Muller profile photo
Adobe InDesign is our primary design tool for all the advertising work we do for our clients. We utilize it for collateral, publications, ads, billboards, etc. Our entire agency uses the tool. Our design team does the initial design in the tool and our other teams access the documents to proof projects and send to vendors.
  • Strong design tools
  • Can do small projects and large publications
  • Pretty easy to use
  • The tool is expensive
  • It's a complex tool that takes a while to learn
  • The interface can be confusing if you are not accustomed to using it
InDesign is a good tool to use if you are doing a lot of design projects. It's the standard in the Graphic Arts world. It's also well integrated into the rest of the Creative Suite apps so the programs work well together and make creating illustrations or photos easy to integrate with InDesign.
Read Mike Muller's full review
Marsha Junkins profile photo
October 14, 2019

The designers friend!

I would say it is being used throughout the organization but is dependent on job responsibility. If your title/role requires design then the software is enabled on the machine. It isn't an automatic install. The problem InDesign addresses are the design and layout elements for so many roles at Cook. Our marketing and communication departments use InDesign extensively.
  • InDesign is my go-to for layout and design. InDesign is second to none when it comes to solid layout features.
  • I always enjoy the integration with other Creative Suite tools like Photoshop and Illustrator. It's so easy to work across each of those tools.
  • InDesign makes creativity with a layout so easy. It just makes sense to me. I feel sorry for people who use Word as a design tool. I get frustrated so easily with it as it isn't intended to solve the design element.
  • Quick keys are my absolute favorite!
  • The features and benefits of InDesign are endless but there are SO MANY options. It can be daunting to figure out what each of the buttons does.
  • The help feature was much better in the past. I remember being able to get help online much easier than I do today.
  • As an end-user, I would love to have a list of quick keys (other versions had this in place that was easy to find).
InDesign is perfect for newsletters, posters, books, agendas, etc. The flexibility it offers is world-class. Clicking and dragging objects around and being able to see the end result is fantastic. I would recommend it to anyone with a creative role or function. There is also lots of help online (even though the forums and search features aren't my favorite). If you can imagine it, InDesign can probably do it!
Read Marsha Junkins's full review
Heather Robinette, MBA profile photo
Adobe Indesign is mainly used by me as the marketing manager to design ebooks and sometimes other collateral as needed. Therefore, it is used in the Marketing department. InDesign has helped us in creating more collateral and being able to edit current collateral. We no longer have to get someone else to do it. We can do it ourselves, which allows us to do it faster and correct the first time since we know what we are wanting to be changed. We have become more efficient in our content creation and able to create more meaningful content.
  • Able to use in conjunction with Adobe Photoshop to edit photos within the document.
  • Able to create professional looking material without having to outsource the project.
  • Adobe continues to update the product so you are able to stay up to date on the latest tools.
  • If you are familiar with the other platforms, it is fairly similar so you can pick up on how to use it quickly.
  • It is sometimes hard to find tools or settings, I wish there was an easier way to find them versus having to look them up.
  • There are so many tools and features that it can be overwhelming for a new user, a new user tutorial would be helpful.
  • I wish there were more tools included on the left toolbox bar.
It is well-suited for marketing or graphic designers who need to create content such as white papers and ebooks. It allows you to easily create large documents with more flexibility. It is less appropriate for informal documents that would be better off just using Microsoft Word. Knowing the difference in which scenario meets your needs can help you accomplish the project faster and ensure the right resources are used.
Read Heather Robinette, MBA's full review
Chad Carman profile photo
Our creative services department uses it to design our bi-monthly publication, Bugle. Our marketing department uses it to design everything from video thumbnails to social media graphics to ads to emails. It is an easy to use solution to laying out designs more than it is applying creative styling and allows us to do so in a quick, efficient manner.
  • Great design layout.
  • Saved on our network drive and allows us to pass projects between one another.
  • Doesn't allow multi-user editing at once. If it's open on one person's device and they forget to close it, you can't edit it. More a problem of network storage than the program.
  • Isn't designed to apply creative stylings to photos/images/graphics.
Adobe InDesign is best suited for scenarios where items need to be laid out. Hence the term "Design." It works nicely as a complement to Photoshop or Lightroom where you can apply creative styling to items that you need to. Really simple to efficiently create multiple instances of a specific layout.
Read Chad Carman's full review
Rand Habegger profile photo
Adobe InDesign has been the primary document design application for Marketing since before I started 13 years ago. It is used almost exclusively by the in-house Creative Team I lead in Marketing, serving the design needs for the rest of the organization. InDesign allows our team to keep our collateral on brand with seamless integration with the other Adobe Creative Cloud design apps we use (primarily Illustrator and Photoshop).
  • InDesign makes brand consistency easy with linked files, like logos and brand patterns. Any changes to linked files update across all documents that include them.
  • InDesign's master page templates are essential for efficiency and consistency. They allow for easy addition of pages too long documents without having to set up guides and styles from scratch.
  • InDesign's paragraph and character styles are particularly valuable for keeping long documents or series of related documents on brand typographically. When styles are properly set up, the need to manually format text is rare.
  • I'm being pretty picky here about a product I love, but vector graphics copy/pasted from Illustrator often behave strangely and can be difficult to edit with InDesign's vector tools.
  • Viewing documents in full resolution mode slows down the system far more than in other Adobe tools.
  • No drawing or photo editing software (at least light tools for quick editing would sometimes be helpful).
InDesign is the industry standard for print/publishing design. Most alternatives have either died off, or lag far behind InDesign in terms of functionality and integration with other design tools. Any serious design team should use InDesign for any document longer than a single page or involving heavy text. InDesign is not as well-suited to more artistic uses, like poster or ad design, where a combo of Illustrator and Photoshop usually offer more creative freedom.
Read Rand Habegger's full review
Todd Dodge profile photo
Adobe InDesign is currently only being used in the marketing department, by the graphic designers. We are currently using Adobe InDesign for our travel magazines and brochures. Adobe InDesign is great for building and creating long-form magazines and hosts a master edit that will affect all pages, unlike Illustrator where you can design the layout of a magazine, but with no master edit, it takes a lot more effort and revision editing to make it work.
  • Familiarity
  • Organized
  • Learnable
  • More features
  • Similar tool layout to Illustrator
  • More real-world related tutorials
Adobe InDesign is great, as mentioned before, for magazine layouts and being able to edit a page, and it will automatically adjust the rest of the pages, whereas other Adobe programs don't take that into effect. InDesign is best suited for that, but not much else, and lacks the features of Illustrator and Photoshop, and with both those programs having more features, I tend to use those more often.
Read Todd Dodge's full review
Samantha Crawford profile photo
I use InDesign to create pdfs. I am able to design beautiful magazines and guides for my clients with this software and it helps me boost business and look professional.
  • Features.
  • Usability.
  • Price.
  • Very heavyweight and takes a lot of processing power.
  • I would like to see better optimization.
Adobe InDesign is sometimes glitchy and it runs CP usage near 90%, but it gets the job done if you are not multitasking. This can be a dealbreaker for those with less processing power.
Read Samantha Crawford's full review
Bryan Crowe profile photo
It is used by the design department. As a publisher of magazines, we use it to lay out not only the magazines, but to create marketing materials, as well as setup for banner ads. It assists us in producing the 4 magazines a month.
  • Great layout tool
  • We use it with InCopy and it works seamlessly between the designers and the editors (who are both onsite and offsite)
  • Handles fonts well. It has nice features that have improved over the years.
  • There is still some ways to go with the concept of print to digital.
It really works well with the coordination between design and the editors using InCopy. That saves the designer time of having to make type corrections, when the editor can do it themselves through InCopy. A nice feature that improves productivity.
Read Bryan Crowe's full review
Matt Russell profile photo
I am currently the only user at my company using Adobe InDesign. I use it for graphic design, along with a few other Adobe products. InDesign is GREAT for use in graphic design. I use it to help create and edit books and covers etc. A great option to make your products look and seem very professional.
  • Book Creation/editing - you can create templates and follow these so every page appears just how you want it to, without concern of text not matching ideas
  • Cover design and editing - you can keep all your ideas cohesive along with your contents of your books.
  • DC version of InDesign keeps you up to date - easy to find tutorials for tools within system.
  • Cost is high, but for that cost, you get a great product
  • Some tools are difficult to use correctly without researching proper way to use them (not very intuitive sometimes)
Great option for creating books, multiple page documents, and things like calendars. Very easy to use most of the basic tools. Once you become more of an experienced user, many of the advanced tools make your life much more easy. Not very useful for one page documents - Adobe Illustrator is much more suited for these situations.
Read Matt Russell's full review
Kim Hoogenboom profile photo
Only used in the Marketing Department for brochures, flyers, posters, billboards, email blasts, marketing, etc. It allows us to do design work in house instead of hiring an advertising company.
  • Typography, I enjoy having a tool that allows flexibility.
  • Page layout, particularly running from one text box to the next, creating style sheets, creating multi-page masters, etc.
  • When doing a booklet, this layout program is invaluable (sales flyers, promotional tools, creating a manual for a product, it can do all of those).
  • I was a Quark Express user for 15 years prior to making the brain switch. I love it now, took some getting used to but it does more than Quark did!
  • I wish iCloud apps, in general, would allow for flexibility to be used in multiple platforms without striping options.
  • My concerns are not with the tool when it's used on a Mac, but with it on other devices or platforms.
300 pg catalog, use style sheets across team platforms. 36 pg sale catalogs, can make designs with flair while not wasting time. 96 pg magazines, can re-flow text from page to pg. One page designs, I appreciate snap to guides, alignments. I love the program/app.
Read Kim Hoogenboom's full review
José Francisco Medina Rodríguez profile photo
Adobe InDesign CC is being used only in the IT department in my organization. The biggest problem that has been presented to us is file saving with large programs can get tricky, especially if you use a shared location. All the materials for your files have to be stored locally and not moved, for InDesign to pull the information. This isn't tragic, but just have to make sure things are kept in the same location.
  • It is cross-compatible with other Adobe products, and there are hundreds of online video tutorials to help you achieve the results you want.
  • Contextual information at your fingertips.
  • Superbly balanced interface.
  • Requires a subscription. PDF comments integration needs polishing.
  • This program has an art asset library, however, you must pay for a monthly art asset subscription to access everything.
  • The cost of the software is high and any time a new teammate needs to be added to the plan, that's even more.
If creating any type of physical collateral, InDesign is the perfect option. It integrates seamlessly with the other Adobe products as well as many other outside products. A must have for anyone serious about top-quality design work in the physical realm.

Some of the elements are a little glitchy for me. My computer has 32 GB of RAM and it seemed a little clunky and slow sometimes.
Read José Francisco Medina Rodríguez's full review
September 10, 2019

The Only Solution, InDesign

We use Adobe InDesign mainly for self promotional products such as marketing brochures and customer proposals. It is being used by the design team for jobs that need the finest control and execution from concept to print. It is the tool to use when the product needs to look exactly how you expect.
  • Character and object styles are essential. With these two features you can save hours of work going through multi-page documents and manually reformatting individual elements.
  • Powerful PDF generation. Not only can you generate consistently well laid out documents, but you can incorporate specific PDF features. For instance, you can create a table of contents with text links that go right to the page in the PDF.
  • The ability to pre-flight and package projects for print is such a relief. You don't need to manually hunt down fonts and resources to send to your printer, it can all be buttoned up and print ready.
  • There is a lot of overlap in the Adobe content creation apps. You can make a block of text in Photoshop, Illustrator, or InDesign. And while tools are generally similar, things can be a bit jarring when going from one package to another. It is understandable that they are different tools attacking different problems, but any steps that can be take to smooth the functionality would be appreciated.
  • Cost. With so much of the software world going open source, it can feel weird shelling out for a program. That being said, if your need is an InDesign problem, there is NO alternative and it is worth every penny
  • Learning curve. There is a tremendous amount of documentation and user guides out there. But the fact is, this program is a monster. If it is not your job to create professional documents, you will not have the time or motivation to master Adobe InDesign.
If you need this tool, there simply isn't any other program to recommend. And if you don't need it, it is a waste of time and money to invest in it. For this reason I don't know that I would recommend it to anybody. If somebody would need this tool to do their work, they would already have it.
November 12, 2019

Still the King

Our department uses InDesign for an overwhelming majority of our design work. As part of the Creative Cloud, it is our go to solution for all things print and even a lot of digital design such as static web banners and some ads. It allows us to easily open files created by others and also allows us to package our InDesign files to send to vendors.
  • Multipage document layouts - the industry standard.
  • Simple digital ads - InDesign has really drown in digital production.
  • Large format layouts such as banners and signage.
  • Precision export control and packaging for vendors.
  • Requires a Creative Cloud subscription; no standalone app purchase.
  • Rather bloated in some areas
  • Can be temperamental with fonts and linked images at times
InDesign is simply the industry standard. If you are planning on picking up or handing off work, there's a 95% chance you will be using InDesign for printed material. For department and enterprise applications it is really fluid to work on files as a group. If you are a freelancer or small team you really don't have much of a choice as there are no equal alternatives (yet).
October 16, 2019

InDesign is a must!

InDesign is used by our creative team, a subset of the marketing team, to mainly handle print and PDF layout and design including printed materials like brochures and flyers, as well as fillable forms. It's the most compatible with vendors and the files generated are also the most compatible. Creative Cloud features make it simple to work at home or in the office on different computers.
  • Design of printed materials--it's original use, after all.
  • Design and layout of fillable forms with hyperlinks and Acrobat DC compatibility.
  • Specifically, pro-level, old-school graphic-design functionality in digital form.
  • Since it's in the cloud, it's often wonky. Things freeze up, odd things happen sometimes.
  • It's expensive. Gone are the days of buying software.
  • Used to be easier to create a new document than it is now.
Well suited for print and PDF production, less appropriate for more digital endeavors. Big strength is that it can import just about any kind of image, which can be handy when you can't open the image otherwise: Just plop it in InDesign, export as a PDF, open in Photoshop and save in the format you want. It's just a great layout and design program overall, the go-to program for that. QuarkXPress is not missed. Great cross-functionality with other Adobe Creative Cloud apps.
Adobe InDesign is used by several different departments across our company. It is a platform we utilize for website design elements, proposal documents, and various graphics to promote our services. InDesign is easy to navigate and allows our employees to easily create the graphic pieces we need for different projects across the organization and for our clients. It allows us to maintain control of creative aspects, rather than outsourcing to a 3rd party vendor and merely hoping for a viable piece of content.
  • InDesign is perfect for piecing together different graphic elements with content. It allows you to create multi-page projects all at once, rather than having to construct one page at a time.
  • InDesign is the perfect platform to use when creating projects that have text-heavy content. It gives users the ability to control and format large portions of texts and apply different features in a few simple clicks.
  • InDesign has helpful grids and guides that help users to position different page elements.
  • We have come across some issues with not being able to open PDFs to edit in InDesign.
  • With so many tool features, it can be hard to find the specific tool you're looking for. A guide explaining each tool may be helpful for newer users.
  • InDesign doesn't have the best features for editing creative elements like photos and graphics.
InDesign is our company's platform of choice for creating text rich documents. It is best suited for creating multi-page documents since it allows for text to be easily aligned and formatted. We use it to create documents such as proposals, whitepapers, client renewals, and more. It is less effective for creating purely graphic content pieces.
Adobe InDesign is used by our Product, Design, Front End, and Back End departments. The Product team, specifically UX Design and Content Strategy, uses InDesign for pixel perfect prototypes. It allows us to design, build, and test new features before they go live on the platform. This reduces the potential for errors or mistakes once the feature is pushed live.
  • InDesign prototypes are extremely easy to share. Different members of different teams can collaborate on a prototype.
  • InDesign allows us to accurately preview how an interactive feature will appear on our product, so there are no surprises when it's pushed live.
  • InDesign has a great grid layout functionality that makes it easy to create both horizontal and vertical guides.
  • At least for me, there's a steep learning curve with InDesign. There are so many features and tools that I don't know how to use. Perhaps the onboarding process could be more helpful when using InDesign for the first time.
  • InDesign is only available through subscription. I wish it was possible to purchase the software or purchase a la carte Adobe Creative Cloud products more affordably. (You either subscribe to one product, or all of them.)
  • My computer sometimes runs slowly when I use InDesign. It can take a while to load prototypes.
Although my department uses Adobe InDesign for digital wireframes and prototypes, I understand that the design team loves InDesign for print layouts and graphic design. On the product team, Adobe InDesign meets our needs for creating and sharing prototypes that look exactly like the finished product. It can get expensive, as price increases per user, so InDesign may not be the best tool for a very large product / dashboard / frontend / backend team with many people who need access.
There are two designers within our organization and both of us use Adobe InDesign on a daily basis. As I have worked with this software since its inception (switching over from QuarkXPress), I have enjoyed the continual upgrades to to user friendliness, efficiency and capabilities. I primarily use it for non-digital marketing outputs, but it does have the ability to make PDF documents interactive and output for the web.
  • Page Layout - everything from single brochures to multi-page books
  • Integrate seamlessly with the rest of the Adobe Creative Suite
  • Intuitive, user-friendly modules and workflow
  • Adobe continues to have an issue with not making controls apple to apples across all of its primary products (InDesign - Photoshop - Illustrator). Would be great if someday all actions within each software could be found in the same place.
It is still primarily a 'printed pieces' page layout tool. However, I have also used it to create wireframes for web design and have even exported PDF files with interactive features.
As a non-profit, we use it to design a lot of materials, from our student booklets to pamphlets, posters, instructional materials, etc. We all use it at our organization, but I am a documentation lead, which means I usually take our organization's ideas and then create drafts/ideas in InDesign and then get feedback from others and make edits as needed. I also help train others in our organization on how to use it.
  • Ability to create professional media
  • Has a lot of online resources to learn how to use it
  • Fairly easy to use (but a large learning curve)
  • Great tools/options
  • Inserting tables is not super easy or intuitive: I feel like something that basic should be better
  • Panels of all different options of tools, tabs, etc could be organized better
  • Large learning curve for the general population: hard for people who are only used to Microsoft products to make the transition
  • Expensive to get adobe suite. I'd love to have it personally and recommend it to more people, especially in the education world- but many can't afford in their budgets.
It is great for designing anything where you need to make something look professional and as a layout-posters, handouts, booklets, using high-quality media, export as a pdf, etc. It is less appropriate if wanting to do a write up to quick share with others, take notes, or more informal documents.

About Adobe InDesign

Adobe InDesign supports creating digital and print documents such as flyers, stationary, posters, and other types of media, with rich graphics, images, and more. Adobe InDesign is available standalone or as part of the Adobe Creative Suite collection of media management and creation products.