DISCO Reviews

James Ponce profile photo
Our firm uses DISCO in support of its litigation practice. We use it for document production ingestion, document review, production of documents, etc. We find DISCO to be a very user-friendly platform from discovery through trial. Our attorneys and paralegals primarily use it. Since all of our personnel have access to DISCO, it allows us to work together in a very productive, organized manner cohesively.
  • It is easily used for producing documents. I appreciate how easy it is to create load files to provide to opposing counsel.
  • DISCO's support team is the best in the business, bar none. I always feel free to call them about any concerns or problems I am having. I know that they will go the distance to ensure that my questions are answered and my concerns are assuaged. Even after hours, I have been able to get answers to my questions. Most importantly, their support staff is incredibly helpful and caring people, which is immediately apparent during the phone calls.
  • DISCO also makes it very easy to set up a specific document review stage, tailored just as I need it. I appreciate the ability to tag documents per my requirements, to write privilege notes, to redact passages quickly, etc. The fact that this tailored document review staging is all so easy to set up speaks to how great a program DISCO is.
  • I love how, in the main "Search and Review' window, to my left, I can have the filters. This is so handy and time-saving! I can't count the times that I have chosen documents based upon specific recipients/senders, or narrowed down my search by choosing "inclusive emails only."
  • Perhaps this is my ignorance, but when I'm in the main "Search and Review" window and want to choose specific documents from here to, say, batch print, I have to click the grey square to the left of the document one by one, instead of clicking a grey square on top of the window that would automatically choose all the documents showing in that window, and then deselect the ones I don't want.
  • I know this is a safety feature, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to change certain features of documents myself instead of asking DISCO support team to do so, i.e., changing the custodian of specific documents.
  • Instead of choosing the "copy format from a previous production" that automatically changes a Bates prefix for you that you may not want, maybe a feature where you have preset choices of metadata and confidentiality to apply to productions without affecting a chosen Bates prefix.
I can't imagine going through litigation without DISCO by my side. From receiving and producing documents, reviewing clients' and opposing counsels' documents, making privilege logs, creating trial exhibits, etc. DISCO makes my life so much easier. I appreciate that I still have much to learn about DISCO, but even with my base-level knowledge of DISCO, I can be very successful at my job. As a paralegal, I need this program to be the best support I can be for my clients.
Read James Ponce's full review
Adam Schwartz profile photo
November 13, 2019

DISCO works

We use DISCO for client matters that require the review and or production of large amounts of electronic data. The firm utilizes DISCO for most of our cases, and only use another vendor if the client has a preference or relationship with someone else.
  • DISCO has a very easy to use review interface. This is key because attorneys and staff new to DISCO can begin reviewing documents with little to no training, which speeds up the review process and ultimately saves our clients money.
  • DISCO has a beneficial "Review Stages" system that provides for the fast and efficient assignment of documents for attorneys/paralegals to review. It has features that permit the senior attorney to see how fast people are reviewing documents and estimates how long it will take for the review to be completed.
  • One of my favorite features is the search visualization feature. The feature provides a birds-eye view of the data set-what email addresses appear most frequently, the frequency of communications, etc. This information can be used in turn to craft more effective search terms and parameters.
  • Currently, DISCO is not compatible with timeline databases such as CaseMap or TimeMap. Such integration would go a long way in ease of use.
  • There is no easy way to create a timeline or fact chronology in DISCO. The exhibit function should be tweaked to provide for such functionality.
  • DISCO does not permit a client to do a partial review on the front end so that only certain data gets fully processed and gets charged. That would help provide better value to clients.
DISCO is perfect for responding to subpoenas and document requests. It is also useful to collect records for review. The one area that it is not great at is for developing chronologies.
Read Adam Schwartz's full review
Ureef Aziz profile photo

Best in class

DISCO is used by our organization as a platform for vetting documents. It serves the purpose of categorization or bucketing of documents, identifying key documents and arranging them in one place. Furthermore it facilitates the process of investigation of documents relevant to any litigation.
  • User interface of DISCO is as smooth as it can get. Be it switching between a range in a batch to executing a search, DISCO lets you do it in a jiffy.
  • Coding documents on DISCO is very time efficient thanks to the keyboard shortcuts and swift response time.
  • Running a search on DISCO is great because of the positioning of the tags and buttons, moreover the quick hint of results without even hitting the search.
  • Button is something I found really useful.
  • The color scheme of the coding panel is too dark and it gets difficult to distinguish between tags to choose from, which leads to confusion.
  • The filter options on document view pane are not that great.
When you want to read and classify a huge chunk of documents then DISCO is just the thing you need.
Read Ureef Aziz's full review
Randy Duncan profile photo
We use the DISCO platform for a number of litigation matters for a variety of clients. Our primary use case is document review projects that are substantial enough to require an organization, but not substantial enough to require project management to complete the review and production. Generally speaking, our matters to not extend beyond the data threshold for the minimum monthly charge. We have some clients that have taken a liking to the software and we are exploring setting them up with a data volume-based subscription rather than a project-based system that we typically use. The best aspect of the platform for our teams is that it allows us to control the entire review and produce documents with minimal involvement from outside consultants.
  • DISCO software is easy to use for even the most entry-level document reviewer. All one needs to know how to do is browse web pages.
  • DISCO has a good amount of organizational functionality that allows us to identify key documents and custodians to improve efficiency in our early-stage document review process. We can target dates, topics, and specific custodians with ease using the visual organization tools without requiring knowledge of building text-based searches.
  • The DISCO project support team is responsive, and projects can usually be started within hours of the initial opening request. The team is always willing to do training as users become more advanced and interested in exploring deeper functionality of the tool.
  • In my previous experience, I have found that coding may not be recorded when a user is going extremely fast through documents.
  • Right now, at least, we do not appear to have the ability to independently upload load files and productions we received from other parties.
  • The more complex and useful tools are somewhat difficult to locate and learn to use without assistance from project support team members.
  • The text searching can be difficult to use, especially when trying to search for exclusion rather than the inclusion of documents based on the searches.
  • The folder system is not intuitive. Parent folders include all documents within sub-folders, even when those sub-folders are designed to exclude documents. This is likely a unique problem than can be resolved using different procedures, though.
This platform is great for small to medium cases and especially good for projects that are time-sensitive.
Read Randy Duncan's full review
Monica Quay profile photo
We have used DISCO for large and small scale document reviews and document productions and for locating critical documents for use during discovery and trial.
  • DISCO is extremely intuitive and easy to learn for anyone.
  • DISCO's pricing is simple and straightforward, with no hidden charges.
  • There is just one platform for loading, reviewing, and production of documents. No separate applications are necessary.
  • If you haven't checked out DISCO lately, I urge you to do so. When I first started using DISCO, features and flexibility were limited for end users. This is no longer the case; DISCO listens to input from users and puts it into action.
I think DISCO is well suited to large and small scale document reviews. For those reviewers who felt pricing was cost-prohibitive for smaller matters, I recommend they discuss options with their DISCO representatives.
Read Monica Quay's full review
Michelle Clifford profile photo
DISCO is used mainly by our litigation attorneys, but also by some select practice groups like School Law. Before DISCO, we used Concordance which was a great product back in the day but hasn't kept up with some of the newer technology offerings like AI, predictive tagging, visual timelines, native productions, etc. DISCO has these features which is crucial for getting through large scale document reviews. We have an obligation to keep costs down for the client and DISCO has done that for us.
  • Easy to use: I can get new document reviewers up and running quickly. Basic training in about 30 minutes; more advanced training in about an hour.
  • Excellent Knowledgebase: Any time I have a question, I run a search in DISCO's knowledge base and the answer is there, often, too, with a corresponding video demonstrating how to do something.
  • Easy to filter data by almost anything: Filtering is intuitive and users report it's one of their favorite features.
  • Good looking platform: OK, this doesn't get talked about a lot, but if you're going to be looking at a database for hours at a time, it should be visually pleasing!
  • Salespeople are not pushy: As a manager, I get a lot of calls from vendors and when a vendor such as DISCO gently checks in from time-to-time it's noticed and appreciated.
  • Ingestion sometimes fails or gets hung up: On occasion, an ingestion will get hung up. It just requires a call or ticket to tech support and the problem gets resolved.
  • Lack ability re-load individual files: Sometimes, there's a need to substitute a file and it can be done but requires a call to tech support or the project manager. Otherwise, you have to back out the entire ingest, make the adjustment in the file and reload.
DISCO is best suited for larger data sets otherwise you may be subjected to a minimum fee which may or may not be cost-effective for the matter. DISCO is great if you need to share database access with co-counsel or local counsel. Salesforce is knowledgeable and helpful. Productions are very easy to run (and re-run, if necessary). Project managers are well-trained and generally, accessible and responsive.
Read Michelle Clifford's full review
Alan Schindler profile photo
DISCO is being used to manage document review and productions on cases that involve more than 1 GB in electronic discovery. It is only used by me.
  • Ease of use, which allows me to give my client access and teach them how to upload documents.
  • Making productions is easy for a non-IT person.
  • More flexibility when creating a privilege log - more options.
DISCO is well suited for large-scale and medium-scale discovery projects. For smaller projects (less than 1 GB) the price is prohibitively expensive.
Read Alan Schindler's full review
Angela Dreiling profile photo
DISCO is used by a specific team for document review prior to production.
  • Ease of getting in and out of the database
  • Windows are easy to navigate
  • Always love fewer clicks to get where I'm going
  • Single sign-on if available
  • Ease of use for those who only use it periodically, i.e. twice a year
Large scale document review after utilizing search terms
Read Angela Dreiling's full review
Roxana Lozano profile photo
October 22, 2019

DISCO Gets the Job Done

DISCO is being used by attorneys and paralegals to review documents and prepare document productions.
  • Document productions - fast and efficient way to produce materials to other parties in the ligation.
  • Search of key terms - Fast way to identify responsive or confidential documents
  • Flag/Tags - Fast way to go back to key documents
  • Highlighting with in the document can sometimes be a great tool to have when reviewing documents.
Suited well to use if you have large data to review or if load files are produced by other parties.
Read Roxana Lozano's full review
Two of our matters are hosted on DISCO. Our attorneys use DISCO to review and issue code documents, and I ultimately produce responsive documents out of the platform. We use the product across our organization. The platform addresses unruly data by streamlining the review process and allowing us to organize data in such a way that we can easily find important documents in the blink of an eye.
  • Tagging is highly intuitive. The reviewers are mostly attorneys who appreciate ease of use, and the tagging feature is so easy that the attorneys can spend the bulk of their time evaluating the merits of the case rather than figuring out things like tagging.
  • Email threading is a huge time saver. By allowing the reviewer to only review the inclusive email and applying a tag to all emails that make up that thread is invaluable and allows for consistency in coding which is key to any document review.
  • The artificial intelligence feature is also a huge time saver and allows for consistency in coding.
  • There are times where I am hesitant to contact tech support since most often I am redirected to our project manager whose time is billable. I wish the built-in tech support would field more questions so I don't have to incur billable rates from the PM.
  • The searches are not as easy as they look. Some of our users have never gotten comfortable with the search mechanism.
  • HUGE negative is the $500 monthly minimum. Most of our cases start out slowly with data trickling in. Often times, the attorney will not agree to host data in DISCO based on the high monthly minimum. They cannot justify the cost to the client.
  • The overall look of the platform looks a bit too vanilla with the white background and pastel colors. Would a dark mode be a ridiculous ask?!
DISCO is well suited for cases whose GB size justifies the monthly minimum charge. Several times we did not host data in DISCO since the data was too small to justify the high monthly minimum. Each time, these cases grow well above 12GB, thus justifying the monthly minimum. But they are not hosted in DISCO since attorneys are scared off by the monthly minimum at the incipience of the case.
DISCO is being used by our entire team across multiple projects. We use it whenever we have discovery that we need to manage in-house. It is a flexible and versatile program and entirely cost-effective. The ease of use alone makes a huge difference in cost savings - the interface is so intuitive and powerful that users can quickly and easily accomplish their tasks, saving time and therefore money.
  • Managing document review is a strength. Tagging and sorting documents is a breeze.
  • Pulling documents together for trial and deposition exhibits is also easy and intuitive.
  • Producing documents to opposing counsel is easy and customer service always responds promptly to requests for assistance.
  • The search and filter functions could be just a little more intuitive/"Google"-like. They're miles and miles ahead of other vendors on this point, but it's an area for continued improvement.
DISCO is most useful in managing litigation document review and production. It makes it very easy to review, sort, tag, filter, flag, and produce documents. Most legacy document review platforms on the market are hell to use -slow, cumbersome, and counterintuitive. DISCO is fast, flexible, easy to use, and reliable. However, it would not be useful for internal document management or storage.
We use DISCO to manage both the review and creation of document productions. It allows us to carefully and efficiently manage the documents we need to produce and seamlessly review and organize the documents we receive. Additionally, we are able to search and find the exact documents we are looking for without wasting time searching.
  • Searching for documents in DISCO is easier than any other platform I've used.
  • The user interface is amazing. Spending hours reviewing documents, this really matters. The color contrast in the system is visually appealing.
  • The amount of relevant content displayed while reviewing without having to scroll is key!
  • The ease of use and intuitive nature of the software cuts down on training time.
  • The self service functions and configurations in the system allow for greater flexibility within the software.
  • Creating a note on a document in a specific place so that users can collaborate and remember where the issue was in a 100-page document.
  • Separating documents within the document for ease of reviewing when documents are produced in one file.
  • Greater visibility into billing details.
DISCO is best suited for cases with at least 5 GB worth of data but no more than 100 GB of data depending on the budget based on pricing restrictions and thresholds. The per-GB pricing makes the determination of whether or not we use DISCO, if pricing structure was different, we would use DISCO for all matters.
Currently, our organization uses DISCO to review documents in four separate matter databases to aid in responding to discovery requests. I work with the attorneys in our firm and set up review sets for them. DISCO is predominately utilized by Associates and Paralegals.
  • The platform is very intuitive and user-friendly and makes creating searches much easier. There is an option of creating Boolean search terms or the much easier Search Builder that DISCO has created.
  • Our office appreciates being able to create folders and save specific documents to them. Although you can accomplish the same result through saved searches, the folders make it easier for some attorneys to access the information they need much easier than creating searches.
  • The document review pane is also extremely helpful in that it provides all of the information pertinent to that document (and its family) in one view. I like that the search term hits are highlighted in the document view and the reviewer can "jump" to each hit.
  • On a couple of occasions, I submitted a request for assistance from the technical support staff but the system had not registered my request. Luckily, I was not working on a document production deadline so the time delay was not ultimately a big issue.
  • I would like to be able to create and save the specifics to a new production ahead of my actual production deadline, thus saving me time at the very end of the review when time is usually short.
DISCO is recommended because of its user-friendly interface.
We use DISCO for multiple cases in our litigation department. We have been particularly impressed by the ease of use for DISCO's document review platform, which we find produces significant efficiency gains not only for document coding/review, but also for later retrieval during deposition/witness prep, and motion practice.
  • Document review platform.
  • Customer service/responsiveness.
  • Service flexibility to meet changing needs.
  • DISCO could simplify and expedite the process for putting a project on ice, or terminating it altogether.
DISCO is particularly well-suited for document-intensive litigation, especially where multiple codes may be required for each document. The ease of use, especially on the coding side of document review, is exceptional.
DISCO is used by the Intellectual Property department for ediscovery purposes. Not sure if it's used by other departments.
  • Very good text recognition for searching.
  • Metadata information is presented in a format that makes it easier to understand who and where the documents came from.
  • Ability to tag documents with many/various terms and collections.
  • Batch Printing can be easier if there was a quicker/easier way to pick and choose many documents within a collection.
  • Try to find a way to retain confidentiality designations for documents when ingesting from a production.
Very good capabilities/functions to manage and work within large document productions.
November 13, 2019

Impressed with DISCO

My associate in an internal investigation used it. Another team is also using it for a different investigation. It helps us organize and synthesize large volumes of documents efficiently.
  • Extremely user-friendly. Easy to figure out how to work things.
  • Very fast. Compared to other platforms, the delay is minimal.
  • A clean, usable interface that makes it easy to read documents.
  • Nothing I can think of at this time. The actual reviewers (since I'm supervising them) may have more specific feedback.
It seems well-suited to small or medium-sized reviews. I haven't tried it on the more substantial investigations (over millions of documents). Since they're a relatively newer place, I'm not sure if they could scale. Also seems limited on global investigations for the same reason.
November 12, 2019

DISCO really gets down!

Disco is being used across the organization as it is our preferred vendor. It addresses the need for a central location for discovery in large complex matters.
  • Simple interface - This is key because many users can't be bogged down trying to navigate through complex platforms. DISCO makes it easier to users of all levels to review, cull and produce information.
  • Speed - The platform is much faster than alternative platforms. The speed significantly reduces review times making for a more efficient review.
  • No hidden costs. It's nice to easily understand the costs of a platform and present it to clients.
  • I wish DISCO had more robust analytics. Not so much predictive coding but the ability to review documents using concepts/phrases.
  • I think DISCO should reduce the monthly minimum. By having such a high monthly minimum price you end up excluding potential clients.
DISCO is well suited for large scale discovery reviews and/or productions. It's not so much suited for smaller matters/reviews.

10/10

DISCO is being used by litigation attorneys to manage ediscovery on a number of complex cases.
  • Reviewing documents
  • Organizing documents
  • Producing documents
  • I've been very happy with it so far.
It's very well-suited for cases with thousands of documents. I wouldn't use it on a small case with limited ediscovery.

DISCO is easy to use

It is being used by different teams at the law firm for document review on certain cases.
  • Search functionality and filter option make it easy to locate specific documents in the database.
  • Interface is intuitive and easy to use which allows new users to quickly master the program.
  • Review stages are easy to set up and manage which makes large-scale review easy.
  • It would be good to have a chronology function that works with the review platform.
DISCO is great for large-scale document review because users can tag and organize documents and review stages easily.
A team of researchers at our firm uses Disco to search and organize several discovery pools with over a million documents each. We have a system of tags that allows us to pull documents about certain topics and of certain levels of relevance with a few clicks.
  • Customizable interface: Disco lets me set up my view how I want, which lets me get through documents faster. Many different types of filters are easy to access.
  • User friendliness: Disco generally lets you do anything you logically should be able to do with an e-discovery platform.
  • Support: Disco support is responsive and helpful.
  • Downloading files: sadly we haven't moved entirely to working within Disco (nor would this be possible for the foreseeable future). When downloading files, it would be helpful to be able to customize the file name, which we currently have to edit manually. It would also be helpful to be able to download parents and attachments as one file while downloading large groups of files. Currently, we can either 1) download parents and attachments as one file but without other files or, 2) download all files separately. We regularly download large groups of files (100+) and are then forced to combine parents and attachments manually.
  • Disco's AI has not been helpful in the cases I've worked on. It seems to me that it basically just counts the number of appearances of words it considers relevant. While this can be useful in certain contexts, it often puts quantity over quality and pulls irrelevant documents (such as scholarly articles on topic when we're looking for company documents). Our team tried using extra coding to teach the system in the most efficient way (as described to us by Disco employees), but we have since abandoned any hope of using predictive tagging and other AI features. I'm not sure predictive tagging would save us much time anyway, as we often perform searches on new topics as we move into new phases of litigation and discover new issues.
  • I have experienced minor interface bugs, such as being unable to scroll to folders at the bottom of the list or problems scrolling through documents. These are easy to work around, but still cause some inconvenience.
Disco is better than all the other e-discovery platforms I have used, mostly because of the interface. I would recommend Disco for this reason, but I would be open to other platforms. We have experienced issues ingesting documents into Disco that had previously been produced in another e-discovery vendor, so I would caution a new user against changing vendors as such.
November 06, 2019

No more eye fatigue

DISCO is being used by a number of legal teams at my organization to manage document discovery in litigation.
  • Excellent searchability of documents.
  • Easy to understand and navigate.
  • Nice visual interface, easy to read and understand.
  • Processing and visualization of Excel and other large documents.
  • Sometimes when I add "or" to a search, I occasionally see a glitch in the search function.
DISCO is excellent for document discovery in litigation where the documents are heavy on emails and medium-sized business documents.
November 24, 2019

Excellent product

We use it to review documents provided by our clients. It allows us to search through and review the documents produced by our client for our use in consulting for the purposes of litigation and intellectual property related matters. Without DISCO, it would be difficult to sort through the large volume of documents provided to us.
  • Searching documents.
  • Downloading documents.
  • Reviewing documents.
  • Downloading using bates numbers is lacking.
It is well suited for reviewing large volumes of documents and working with a team to share documents because it provides a centrally located place to store documents. It is also useful for downloading and sorting documents. It is less appropriate if the volume of documents is small, as it would be easier to work with the documents directly.
Heather Roberson profile photo
We use DISCO as an electronic discovery review tool. Currently, all of our cases that require a review tool are being hosted in DISCO. We are able to collect data from our clients, review the data for relevancy, and ultimately produce the data to the opposing party. Additionally, we use DISCO to review data that is produced by opposing parties.
  • DISCO provides an easy to learn and use platform.
  • DISCO is one of the most cost--efficient platforms on the market.
  • DISCO provides many search capabilities that greatly decrease the time spent in review.
  • Provide a mechanism for the user to load data with load files and link fields from the load files to database fields.
  • Provide the ability to view documents on one screen, while having the documents list on another screen.
  • Provide the ability to retain your place in a review without re-running the search after it sits for a period of time.
DISCO is well suited for review of e-discovery in small to very large cases. DISCO is well suited for use by users without a lot of previous database experience because the environment is intuitive and easy to learn. DISCO is well suited for use with native files containing metadata because the files process upon loading and not only the text but also the metadata, can be searched.
Read Heather Roberson's full review

About DISCO

DISCO is a legal technology company with an end-to-end SaaS ediscovery platform designed to provide legal teams total control over ediscovery data, workflows, and costs. Combining world-class engineering with a deep love and respect for the law, DISCO is built to be fast,accurate, and easy to use. In addition to the technology, DISCO also offers a full-suite of services to help legal teams manage ediscovery, from forensic collections, project management, and expert consulting to full managed review. DISCO can be tailored to meet a team's specific needs.