MINDBODY Reviews

Michelle Densmore, CPT, LCSW | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use MINDBODY as a client management software at our fitness studio. Members and staff book personal training and coaching appointments in MINDBODY. We also use it as a point of sale software for supplements and other retail items. Lastly, we use their credit card processing and merchant services. It allows our members to independently schedule, reschedule and cancel personal training appointments.
  • Scheduling
  • Creating membership or contracts is very cumbersome.
  • Members and staff both feel that it is not user-friendly.
It’s well suited to give our members control over their schedules without having to contact us directly. It is less well suited for personal training studios that do NOT want to advertise classes for nonmembers. MINDBODY is making a big shift to give users visibility of classes and studios nearby but that does not serve a studio like ours that runs on memberships.
Read Michelle Densmore, CPT, LCSW's full review
Garrett Ewers | TrustRadius Reviewer
MINDBODY is currently being used by multiple departments within our company. Our front desk uses it primarily for scheduling the fitness and IV therapy side of our practice while also using it as our prime POS software for all charges and collections. Our fitness provider and health coaches use it for note taking and scheduling as well. Sales staff can use it for lead tracking and client management. Our accounting department uses for running sales reports and merchant processing.
  • Scheduling of classes and services.
  • Reporting features.
  • System modernization.
  • Email marketing.
MINDBODY might be a little too much if you are a single instructor but if you have multiple instructors or locations, it is a great tool. It is really built to help you manage your business BUT you do need to go in and learn the platform. MINDBODY has a lot of great educational tools to help you run your business better and has a great peer community to reach out to for ideas and help. They are going to be a little more pricey but it is because their systems can do so much. I would recommend that either you or a staff member are tasked with being a MINDBODY whiz if you are going to go with it.
Read Garrett Ewers's full review
MINDBODY is used as our clinic software. It is used for booking appointments, taking notes, scheduling rooms, and practitioners. It is an all in one solution that also integrates with constant contact so we can stay in touch with our clients
  • Booking
  • Scheduling
  • SOAP notes
  • SOAP notes
A multidisciplinary clinic is where we use MINDBODY. MINDBODY is also well suited in Pilates, Yoga, Gym, and Group classes. We don't use the APP as we want to build up our google presence. We don't get true analytics when someone hits book now on our website as MINDBODY hijacks this part on google
Andre Yeu | TrustRadius Reviewer
MINDBODY is used by our fitness facility/gym for client management, membership management, payments including recurring billing, class scheduling for group classes, and personal training. Basically, it runs everything!
  • Reliable - In the last year, it has never been down or unavailable.
  • The mobile app, kiosk, website integration, and desktop work seamlessly.
  • Deep customization in terms of class/membership rules is available.
  • The user interface is extremely inconsistent, as parts of it look like it hasn't changed since the early 2000s, yet other areas are designed to look more modern.
  • Disappointed with the notification systems for booking personal training, it's not very robust in notifying staff they have been booked.
As a very developed suite, MINDBODY does everything a fitness studio would need. It is a low-risk investment, that is, it will do what you need it to do. Also, the onboarding staff was outstanding, and the ongoing calls with their customer success team have been valuable. It's depth of customization and the outdated user interface would probably frustrate people with less technical capabilities, so they should rely on their onboarding staff to help. I did look at competing systems in my evaluation and I'm fairly confident they would be easier to configure than MINDBODY, but may not have the same depth of features.
Read Andre Yeu's full review
Krista Edwards | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 16, 2018

Fancy but not worth it.

We used MINDBODY as a point of sale for recurring gym memberships.
  • It has a lot of of bells and whistles
  • Easy to learn
  • Can run several reports.
  • Constant very substantial rate increases
  • Customer support is lacking.
This has a lot of bells and whistles. Fancy for sure; would be great for a club. However, if you are truly a small business think long and hard before committing to MINDBODY. The price for taking recurring gym memberships QUADRUPLED in the four years I used them. When I decided it was not sustainable, it cost me hundreds of dollars to get the stored credit card info out of their server. When I got it it was only half of the information. When I called to ask about the missing people, and about the data itself, I was told that when I agreed to have that set of reports run I also agree to cut all ties with MINDBODY including access to their support. So think long and hard because while it is pretty and fancy and does lots of cool stuff, it’s pretty ugly on the other side.
Read Krista Edwards's full review
MindBody is a scheduling software that a lot of yoga and pilates studios use. I actually use mind body at both of my jobs as a pilates instructor. Clients are able to sign up for my classes online, buy new packages, save their favorite studios, and cancel their classes as well. Everyone in the two pilates studios I work at use MindBody. The app is very convenient too because you can sign up for a class on the go. MindBody is also convenient for us employees because on our end of things the app allows us to check people in and cancel people if they did not show up for class. I have access to all the client's profiles with their contact information just in case I need to call or text someone regarding a class issue. MindBody also allows instructors to put notes about the client in their profile which is really nice for teaching solos at a studio. This way if they meet with a different instructor from week to week the new instructor can take a look at what they worked on last time.
  • MindBody does a great job of sending out reminder emails to clients so they do not miss a class.
  • MindBody does a great job at giving instructors a fast and easy way to check in clients and to see who is all signed up for their classes for the week.
  • MindBody has a great payroll feature. All you have to do is set the dates and it generates a nicely laid out PDF of all the classes you taught during that time period and what you have made from them.
  • The instructors have a different app than the clients. The instructor app needs to be fixed because their are a few bugs. I cannot take someone's payment through the app I have to get out my desktop version in order to do so.
  • I wish their was a way to set everyones schedules on top of each other in order to see if anyone has double booked the studio space or not.
  • Clients have complained to me that their app will not save the pilates studio as one of their favorites.
The best scenario to use MindBody would be in some sort of smaller fitness studio like pilates, yoga, and barre classes where their is only a few classes offered each day. If you were to use MindBody at a place like Lifetime or another huge fitness corporation I don't think it would work quite as well. The schedule on the app would get very crowded and it would be hard to regulate everyones payments with that many classes going on at once. Its better that at a place like that everyone just pays a membership fee instead of a class by class basis.
Kathleen Baker | TrustRadius Reviewer
MindBody is used at our yoga studio to track attendance of students as well as track the class packages they have purchased. Instructors' time sheets are generated from this information.
  • Tracks the use of class packages purchased by students at our center. It easy for both instructors to use and for students to see where they stand with their purchased packages.
  • Tracks the number of students in classes to generate time sheets for instructors.
  • Generates helpful reports such as one for students who have not attended in a while.
  • Would like to customize time sheets which are generated.
  • Would like ability to back up information on a weekly basis so when MindBody is down I can access needed information.
It is well suited for businesses that need a platform for clients to sign into classes and workshops or even perhaps schedule appointments. Perhaps less appropriate for business that have sensitive information.
Read Kathleen Baker's full review
Katie Little - Krieger | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have been using Mindbody since 2011. It has had a few evolutions through the years, but I really like all that it has to offer. We have used the following components:
  1. Scheduling (including allowing online scheduling)
  2. Payroll
  7. Constant Contact integration
  8. Text and email confirmations and reminders
  9. Product sales, tracking, and inventory
  10. Online product sales
  11. and probably some of the other features I am not thinking about right now.
Our business started out with Massage and Spa Services and have expanded into Chiropractic, Acupuncture, Weight Loss, Yoga, and a Fitness Studio. We have one location but have had three different companies set up with Mindbody. I guess that would be the only downside for us. Because we want different areas of our business's income deposited to different bank accounts, it forced us to have three separate MINDBODY accounts at one point.

The reports are easy to use and comprehensive. Some of the features offered may be more than you need and can sometimes complicate the setup and problem solving, but the technical support is off the charts. Yes, sometimes there may be a long hold time, but they have started the call back option which is great.

The only thing missing for me would be payroll integration to the payroll service I use which is called Gusto. Currently, I have to manually input the data into the payroll service. It would be great if those two systems could just talk to each other. I know Mindbody integrates into ADP and some others, just not the one I use.
  • Ease of use
  • Technical support
  • All encompassing
  • Needs to have the ability to deposit to multiple bank accounts
  • Integration with Gusto payroll services
This software is great for all service and class-based businesses. It's nice that your employees can log in when not on site to see upcoming appointments.
Read Katie Little - Krieger's full review
Kylie Crandall | TrustRadius Reviewer
MINDBODY is used nationwide in my company, for our services and retail sales. The system itself is a bit slow, and there are too many steps to do a simple transaction. It also does not allow for multiple discounts during a transaction.
I have used MBO in my previous company as well, which was used for scheduling and service sales. The system was also slow there and there were too many steps. The receipt printing area often freezes. When I currently look for old purchase orders to accept into my inventory it doesn't allow me to eliminate other locations, it shows where I can but in a date to only look up during a certain month but every time I click on it, it does the "waiting circle" and never actually populates with the information.
  • The history of purchases is something that navigates easily and I appreciate because we have a list of everything a particular client has purchased.
  • It brings up a client that was recently dealt with when starting a new transaction so you can easily click on that name if you are still working with them.
  • Improvement in the area of receiving purchase orders. If I want to receive and print out bar codes, I have to do one and click out of it, go back in and do the other.
  • When purchasing items, having take out the "add item" button, takes way too many steps to purchase something. A lot of our clients are in a rush.
  • Take away and add permission to distinguish ringing up an employee.
  • Al la carte permissions for employees.
  • The system needs to be faster, period.
  • Come up with a system that allows us to have things show up on sale when they are rung up instead of adding a promo code.
  • Before a transaction, instead of having people log in and out completely, have a 4 digit code that the employee types in really quick or scans so they can ring the client up and it goes under the correct name.
Scheduling is pretty good, though I don't use it currently but when I did it was one of the better systems I saw with that. I currently wish our MBO and our website were synced, it makes purchases for our services difficult to track, because they are not synced.
Read Kylie Crandall's full review
Kiana Garner | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 25, 2016

Quick and easy to use

My company doesn't use MindBody currently. But I use it personally to book all my fitness classes. I've also used MindBody to check clients into classes when I've worked for a gym/studio. I think it's a great program and makes finding and booking a class quick and easy.
  • It's easy to use
  • It provides all class schedules and instructor bios
  • It has a good variety of classes
It has only suited me in registering for fitness classes. I just learned of its use for booking beauty appointments and have yet to use that feature.
Read Kiana Garner's full review
At my previous organization, we used Mindbody's API to connect to our own interface to help service our fitness studio partners that were using Mindbody to service their clients. Though the API brought its own obstacles, it allowed both our company and Mindbody to be able to service both of our clients more seamlessly.
  • Mindbody allows end-users the convenience of an easy to use booking platform and app.
  • Mindbody allows their clients to derive insights from their bookings such as total sales, new clients, etc.
  • Mindbody compiles loads of various features that allow you to service your business from one single platform with analytics, marketing, reservation systems, POS, and more!
  • Pieces of Mindbody's UI (specifically the reservation system), has always seems a bit outdated. Though, with the upgrades they have made to other areas of the platform, maybe the UI will receive a facelift soon too!
  • From an end-user perspective, I do not like that there is not a central log-in. If I use different companies that all use Mindbody, I have to create a different login for each. Even though the email and password can remain unchanged, I still have to repeat that process each time.
Mindbody is very well suited for businesses who need to keep their overhead low and do not want to invest or manage multiple products to service their business. Mindbody allows you to do everything from one product and could be very well suited for small businesses who have the budget for it.

About MINDBODY

MINDBODY is business management software for gyms and spas, as well as fitness and yoga studios built around appointment scheduling and online bookings and calendaring, from the company of the same name in San Luis Obispo, California. Notably, the platform also contains marketing automation to maintain club member engagement, and enrollment.