Score 8.7 out of 10

What is Xero?

• Bank reconciliation (137)
  • Standard reports (132)
  • Accounts payable (130)
  • Accounts receivable (131)

1 video

$32

Established

$62

per month

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://www.xero.com/us/pricing-plans

Product Demos

Xero Blue US | Xero
01:47

Features

Payroll Management

Provides for pay calculation and benefit plan administration, in addition to managing direct deposit, salary revisions and payroll tracking.

8.3Avg 7.6

Customization

This addresses a company’s ability to configure the software to fit its specific use case and workflow.

7.7Avg 7.2

Security

This component helps a company minimize the security risks by controlling access to the software and its data, and encouraging best practices among users.

8.6Avg 8.1

Reporting & Analytics

Users can report on and analyze usage, performance, ROI, and/or other metrics of success.

8.2Avg 7.5

General Ledger and Configurable Accounting

Financial management solution, including capabilities for general ledger and configurable accounting

8.1Avg 7.4

Inventory Management

The ability to track and manage the flow of goods or materials into and out of an inventory.

7Avg 7.1

Order Management

The ability to process orders, and track them from quote to cash.

7.7Avg 7.5

What is Xero?

Xero is an online accounting software platform for small businesses and their advisors, as well as for personal finance. Xero competes most often with QuickBooks Online. Its features, beyond the ubiquitous general ledger and double-entry bookkeeping support, include invoicing with quotes, bank reconciliation, purchase order and expense management, tax management, and it is mobile-accessible. Xero integrates with over 800 third-party applications, covering everything from inventory and logistics to cash flow, project management, customer relationship management, e-commerce and more.

The product is sold by subscription (a distribution model commonly known as software as a service or SaaS) requiring the payment of a monthly fee. This charge is proportionate to the number (and type) of company entities managed by the subscriber. The lowest tiered pricing option is the $9 per month Starter pack, which supports unlimited users but a limited number of transactions. The $30 Standard pack breaks open usage limits and adds e-filing and payroll options. The $70 Premium package doubles the number of supported employees on payroll from 5 to 10, and supports multiple currencies.

Xero Screenshots

Screenshot of Screenshot of Screenshot of Screenshot of Screenshot of Screenshot of

Xero Video

Xero is beautiful accounting software for small businesses and their advisors. See your cashflow in real-time with online accounting, invoicing, payroll, billing & banking. Just login and see the difference. Sign up for a free trial at https://www.xero.com/signup​/

Xero Technical Details

Deployment TypesSoftware as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based

Xero is an online accounting software product for small businesses and personal finance. Its features beyond general ledger and double-bookkeeping include quotable invoicing, bank reconciliation, purchase order and expense management, and tax management. Third party apps can extend its features further.

Priority AccountEdge, QuickBooks Online, and Sage 50cloud Accounting are common alternatives for Xero.

Reviewers rate Direct deposit files and Salary revision and increment management and Single sign-on capability highest, with a score of 8.9.

The most common users of Xero are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees).

Dr Olivier Becherel - Leadership and Executive Coaching | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Xero for bookkeeping, accounting, payroll, and tracking cash flow in the business. It brought a lot of order and clarity in the bookkeeping and simplified the task. It actually makes accounting less daunting and provides us with key reports with just one click. It allows us to have a finger on the pulse and to see trends. We can also pay superannuation directly from Xero which makes it really simple and efficient and avoid missing deadlines. Overall, Xero removes the friction for accounting and fiance management.
We use Xero, and its associated products eg Hubdoc, for all our bookkeeping and accounting needs. We have been doing so going on for 5 years. We have multiple accounts for different entities but also use profit centres in Xero to manage multiple sites within one entity. Our accountant and a large portion of our suppliers also use Xero making things even easier.
Joyce Saint- Cyr BA MHA | TrustRadius Reviewer
First, I want to say, overall I LOVE XERO. Several years back, I made a business decision to only offer Xero. When we have clients who use other software, they have to agree to switch to Xero. Xero is good for training for new employees and business owners. The concept of money spent and receive helps business owners understand. The reporting is great. The reason I did not give them a 10 out of 10 is due to customer service. I wish similar to another larger company there was LIVE support. You can go weeks and never get anyone to respond. Xero loves responding with a video. This is great for larger firms. A company my size does not have the time to view a video, just provide the answer.
Bernadette Johnsen | TrustRadius Reviewer
Acquiring Xero has enhanced our accounting and financial benefits since the installation was easy. It is software that simplifies our accounting tasks since the creation of invoices is very easy. The user interface is dynamic and interactive. It allows us to create financial reports and accounting in a very simple way and with great editing power. Xero is a great product to promote fluidity in the Finance department. We have a good administration of all our financial data with a lot of fluidity with Xero since you can see how the income, expenses, petty cash are evolving and if the figures made low adjustments to drive financial growth with the features of this software.
We contract for manufacturing companies and Xero is our time keeping tool for tracking and sending billable hours to clients. This tool allows our users to track their hours in real time, and additionally, inform clients on not just hours worked, but also the content and achievements for that time.
Lacey Davidson | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Xero for our whole office. At the restaurant level, invoices are entered into PeachWorks. We have a program that integrates those invoices into Xero, putting each item into the correct account code. Our office assistant enters invoices that come to the office like water and electric bills. Then we print check directly from there, or batch payments to pay online.

We also Xero to integrate our sales from the restaurants. After bills are paid, we use multiple types of reporting features.
Carolyn Swora | TrustRadius Reviewer
I'm a small business owner, and I use Xero to manage all the finances in my organization. I will send quotes and invoices to clients directly through Xero. It has a really nice user interface online and on my phone, giving me the confidence to manage my finances on the road or in my home office. I track my expenses with Xero as well, which means I don't have to fret with paper receipts. Take a picture and add a bit of information. I usually have my expense uploaded before I've left the place where I made a purchase.
Well at its core this is a great cloud accounting platform and at its most basic level, it fulfills this function brilliantly. It really becomes super powerful once you start making use of its 3rd party marketplace which allows you to manage business functions in software purpose-built for this but with direct integration to your accounting system.
Mohsin Ejaz | TrustRadius Reviewer
Xero is one of the more popular options among our clients (along with QuickBooks). Xero is reliable, user-friendly (for non-accountants i.e. business owners), and doesn't cost an arm and leg. It has most of the major features that small and medium business owners need from cloud accounting software. The Xero ledger and Cashbook options are a great offering for accounting firms for clients who don't want to spend a lot of money on subscriptions or no money at all.
We use Xero in our accounting practice. Many customers come to us frustrated with Intuit products and have no idea there is another and often better solution. All my clients enjoy Xero for UX, ease of use, and integrations with their other 3rd party applications. Xero also recognizes that accounting platforms need accountant expertise and advises customers when they sign up to find an advisor. Our practice operates 95% in Xero and we love it.
March 20, 2022

Hero is Xero!!

We use Xero for all of our invoicing needs. Keeping those straight is a task all itself. Xero allows us the freedom and flexibility we need yet keeps us structured and on task with past and current invoices. To include allowing the comfort of sending the ones we select and keeping the ones marked that we have sent and so many more ways available to keep us tasked and moving forward.
We use Xero for our accounting. Invoices are created there and sent to the clients directly from Xero. It is great that Xero allows bookings in various currencies, but there are still improvements regarding reporting in other currencies. In the area of report in general, I think there are still a lot of improvements to be done, being able to create customs reports, for example.
Garreth Collard | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Xero.com accounting software for multiple tasks including bank account reconciliation, coding the general ledger and trial balance, producing end-of-financial-year financial statements, for GST returns, business analysis, etc. We don’t use any of the practice management elements.
February 24, 2022

Simple Xero

We use Xero internally for expensing and reimbursing employee expenses. We also use it as a quote and invoice generator. It allows us to quickly and easily track and payout expenses and can generate simple quotes quickly.
Jessica Meadows Rich | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Xero to manage the books of my eCommerce company. It allows me to connect my bank accounts and automatically pull in all transactions, which I then reconcile and share with my CPA so that they may calculate quarterly tax payments. Before using Xero, I was doing this all manually with spreadsheets.
Brandon Scivolette | TrustRadius Reviewer
Xero automates our small business accounting, making it easy to bring in transactions through bank feeds. Beyond that, Xero provides decent reporting for P/L and similar reporting needs of small businesses. Finally, we use Xero for vendor payments and to report 1099's at the end of the year.
Kelvin Leong | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have a number of businesses that use Xero. For NonCam.com, we handle loads of multi-currency sales and payments to suppliers from different payment gateways. Accounting with other software used to be a huge hassle in terms of transaction reconciliation, but Xero makes this a breeze. Tasks that used to take hours now take minutes, and it is significantly much easier. The automated transaction matching, bank feeds, invoicing, the bill payments feature are among the most used features for my team.
December 23, 2021

XERO review

Xero is used in the business for both accounts payable and receivable. We submit our timesheets through Xero and receive all payslips and leave information through there as well. We also use Xero for all of our invoicing when enrolling students. Xero also gives us the ability to generate template invoices as well as third-party invoices when needed.
I use Xero to cash code, reconcile, and prepare financial statements for my clients. I have previously lost a client because Xero didn't have the capability to provide WIP inventory support. They didn't want to pay for yet another app to manage a small inventory/manufacturing process.
December 21, 2021

From Xero to Hero

Brett Levy | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our companies books and invoicing are run on Xero. Our accountant uses Xero in her firm too so the integration and remote managing of our accounts are simple and easy. I personally use Xero on both my MacBook and iPhone and all payments are made and recorded in Xero too. It is our full financial suite.
I use Xero not only for my accounting and tax purposes but also to link my employee's timesheet from another software Deputy for my accountant to do the payroll. Xero allows business owner[s] such as myself to check on my monthly P & L reports, as well as various different reports to gain a better understanding of my business cash flow and expenses.
We use Xero not only for our basic accounting needs but invoicing and quotes, too. We have recently started using the Projects function for an additional fee and have found it to be useful for invoicing clients quickly and recording each time we work for a client.