https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/Vp/mX/5DEM0V8X1OG2.pngAn excellent low cost load balancerHAProxy works extremely well as a low-cost alternative to more expensive load balancers such as our F5s and Netscalers that we're using in some areas of our network. The cost of free is also pretty hard to argue with especially when compared to the prices of those F5s and Netscalers.,Low-Cost Load Balancer Intelligent Request Routing based on URL and/or URI Extremely flexible load balancing and healthchecks, can do almost anything including HTTP, HTTPS, PostgreSQL, etc. SSL Termination,My understanding is a lack of support for UDP traffic One mistake in the haproxy.cfg prevents the entire thing from starting rather than only affecting the part of the config file that may have a typo of some other syntax problem.,10,Significantly lower investment vs competitors. In the case of F5s we have Virtual Editions so we're paying for the hardware to run it on top of the several thousand dollar licenses that are required for each pair and we currently have a pair of F5s per client so there's a huge potential for cost savings there. Requires our network engineers to learn a new skill or our Systems engineers to take on the responsibility of managing the load balancers. It's not a huge difference either way, but it does impact the way we have done business in the past.,F5 BIG-IP and Citrix NetScaler,F5 BIG-IP, Citrix NetScaler, Atom, Cisco ASA, Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure, Cisco Nexus, Cisco Catalyst Switches, Palo Alto Networks Next-Generation Firewalls - PA Series, Palo Alto Panorama, Ansible, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), CentOS, Sublime Text, Microsoft Visual Studio Code, Windows Server, Oracle Exadata Database Machine, NetScout nGeniusONE, NetBrain,Configuration is as simple as a modifying a text file. Terminating SSL is very simple. Controlling traffic based on source IP or destination URL/URI is incredibly easy. Installation was incredibly easy as well.,I haven't found a good way to validate config changes prior to actually applying them to ensure the least amount of downtime.,No,10HAProxy - Look no further - THE only load balancing solution you will ever needWe use HAProxy primarily to load balance our traffic to our systems. It allows us to have highly available systems that we can easily scale out on in as necessary. We also use it to load balance traffic to our database servers, so load is evenly distributed, and it we want to add or remove a node(s) we can do so without adjusting any application configs.,Allow traffic to systems to be distributed evenly, providing high availability Allow restrictions to resources using OAuth tokens Allow load balancing of databases,A few, rare times each year, HAProxy CPU utilization spikes to 100% and server has to be rebooted - this may be related to HAProxy OR it could be an external factor causing this.,10,HAProxy has saved us money on many fronts, and really fulfilled our expectations in each use of it we have deployed.,WS02,Jenkins, Docker, Elasticsearch, MySQLHA Proxy ReviewI currently have HAProxy set up for myself. It is acting as a front end to my MariaDB and PostgreSQL databases. I also have it handling my postfix setup between my site-to-site VPN tunnels. It works great! The stats page helps a lot!,Load balancing Clustering,Configuration examples,10,Low-cost deployment Limited support for free product Mailing list response is not the quickest (maybe implement a forum?),F5 BIG-IP and Kemp LoadMaster,Kemp LoadMaster
HAProxy

HAProxy Reviews

HAProxy
Filter 7 vetted HAProxy reviews and ratings

February 04, 2019

HAProxy Review: "An excellent low cost load balancer"

• Low-Cost Load Balancer
  • Intelligent Request Routing based on URL and/or URI
  • Extremely flexible load balancing and healthchecks, can do almost anything including HTTP, HTTPS, PostgreSQL, etc.
  • SSL Termination
  • My understanding is a lack of support for UDP traffic
  • One mistake in the haproxy.cfg prevents the entire thing from starting rather than only affecting the part of the config file that may have a typo of some other syntax problem.
I've had good experiences with most things that I've attempted using HAProxy. About the only thing I haven't tried yet is setting up an HA Pair using VRRP which I just found out is even a possibility. But it does great at terminating SSL on HTTPS VIPs which is most of what I've used it for, About the only thing I haven't figured out yet is one specific use case I have setup on a pair of F5s for syslog forwarding to multiple destinations, but I also haven't spent a ton of time looking into it since I think there's a limitation with UDP traffic and HAProxy.
December 18, 2017

Review: "HAProxy - Look no further - THE only load balancing solution you will ever need"

• Allow traffic to systems to be distributed evenly, providing high availability
  • Allow restrictions to resources using OAuth tokens
  • Allow load balancing of databases
  • A few, rare times each year, HAProxy CPU utilization spikes to 100% and server has to be rebooted - this may be related to HAProxy OR it could be an external factor causing this.
HAProxy is a lightweight load balancer that just works. It requires a minimal footprint and really just works once set up correctly. It can balance a web app, APIs, database connections and more. I've used competing products that just don't compete with HAProxy in my experience. The community version is rock solid, as is the enterprise edition.
Andrew Meyer profile photo
June 06, 2017

HAProxy: "HA Proxy Review"

• Load balancing
  • Clustering
  • Configuration examples
For an open source load balancer, this is great. Works easily out of the box. Configuration is what will take the longest amount of time. But it will expose you to how a load balancer works.
Read Andrew Meyer's full review

About HAProxy

HAProxy is a database load balancing solution.

HAProxy Technical Details