HAProxy Reviews

November 19, 2019

HAProxy - the right tool for load-balancing, traffic direction, and SSL Offloading.

HAProxy is used by the entire organization to handle public endpoint SSL offload and traffic redirection. It also allows for complete flexibility to modify the traffic during ingress. It allows us to modify our configuration on-the-fly with no downtime.
  • Extensive capabilities with very flexible configuration.
  • Live configuration change and management with no downtime.
  • High traffic throughput - incredibly fast.
  • Improved API level access - but I believe this is coming soon.
Anytime you need to balance load or direct traffic based on rule sets, either at the edge or internally, HAProxy is the perfect solution.
July 09, 2019

An excellent low cost load balancer

HAProxy works extremely well as a low-cost alternative to more expensive load balancers such as our F5s and Netscalers that we're using in some areas of our network. The cost of free is also pretty hard to argue with especially when compared to the prices of those F5s and Netscalers.
  • Low-Cost Load Balancer
  • Intelligent Request Routing based on URL and/or URI
  • Extremely flexible load balancing and healthchecks, can do almost anything including HTTP, HTTPS, PostgreSQL, etc.
  • SSL Termination
  • My understanding is a lack of support for UDP traffic
  • One mistake in the haproxy.cfg prevents the entire thing from starting rather than only affecting the part of the config file that may have a typo of some other syntax problem.
I've had good experiences with most things that I've attempted using HAProxy. About the only thing I haven't tried yet is setting up an HA Pair using VRRP which I just found out is even a possibility. But it does great at terminating SSL on HTTPS VIPs which is most of what I've used it for, About the only thing I haven't figured out yet is one specific use case I have setup on a pair of F5s for syslog forwarding to multiple destinations, but I also haven't spent a ton of time looking into it since I think there's a limitation with UDP traffic and HAProxy.
August 13, 2019

HAProxy is an excellent load balancer

It is an excellent software load balancer. it is very configurable and easy to manage. We use it in multiple places in our organization. We are using it to manage around 20 microservices. So far we haven't faced any issues. We deployed it using Keepalived to make it highly available all the time.
  • Load balancing.
  • SSL/TLS termination.
  • Health checking.
  • Can't think of anything at this time.
HAProxy is useful for both level 4 and level 7 load balancing, SSL termination, etc. It is a software load balancer, so it is not good in cases where we need a hardware load balancing to solve our business problems. It is a bit memory intensive, so we need to watch out for it.
Andrew Meyer | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 06, 2017

HA Proxy Review

I currently have HAProxy set up for myself. It is acting as a front end to my MariaDB and PostgreSQL databases. I also have it handling my postfix setup between my site-to-site VPN tunnels. It works great! The stats page helps a lot!
  • Load balancing
  • Clustering
  • Configuration examples
For an open source load balancer, this is great. Works easily out of the box. Configuration is what will take the longest amount of time. But it will expose you to how a load balancer works.
Read Andrew Meyer's full review
December 18, 2017

HAProxy - Look no further - THE only load balancing solution you will ever need

We use HAProxy primarily to load balance our traffic to our systems. It allows us to have highly available systems that we can easily scale out on in as necessary. We also use it to load balance traffic to our database servers, so load is evenly distributed, and it we want to add or remove a node(s) we can do so without adjusting any application configs.
  • Allow traffic to systems to be distributed evenly, providing high availability
  • Allow restrictions to resources using OAuth tokens
  • Allow load balancing of databases
  • A few, rare times each year, HAProxy CPU utilization spikes to 100% and server has to be rebooted - this may be related to HAProxy OR it could be an external factor causing this.
HAProxy is a lightweight load balancer that just works. It requires a minimal footprint and really just works once set up correctly. It can balance a web app, APIs, database connections and more. I've used competing products that just don't compete with HAProxy in my experience. The community version is rock solid, as is the enterprise edition.

About HAProxy

HAProxy is a database load balancing solution.

HAProxy Technical Details