Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of IBM Spectrum Scale, and make your voice heard!
Entry-level set up fee?
- Setup fee optional
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Would you like us to let the vendor know that you want pricing?
IBM Spectrum Scale is a multi-protocol, high-performance, highly available, clustered file system and associated management software. The vendor says IBM Spectrum Scale can scale in several dimensions, including performance (bandwidth and IOPS), capacity, and number of nodes (instances) that can mount the file system. IBM Spectrum Scale promises to address the capacity and performance requirements to support modern scale-out applications such as AI/ML/DL with multi-cloud support.
The latest version of IBM Spectrum Scale delivers a high level of performance for file storage. The vendor says the improvements were driven by the demands of providing the storage software for the world’s most powerful supercomputer, the US Department of Energy Summit system at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Those same innovations are now available to commercial customers, and include major improvements across the product, including performance, space efficiency, improved installation and setup, more powerful GUI and improved security to help organizations address new regulations such as GDPR.
- Supported: Storage management at scale
- Supported: On-premises and/or multicloud
- Supported: Data economics
- Supported: Software-defined open platform
- Netapp ONTAPP
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||3%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||17%|
|Enterprises (more than 500 employees)||80%|
|Deployment Types||On-premise, SaaS|
|Operating Systems||Windows, Linux, IBM AIX v7|
- Easy scalability, vertically and horizontally.
- Active-active high availability across datacenters.
- Great to store massive amounts of data.
- Upgrading procedure, many times we had to do manual upgrades instead of the automatic one provided by IBM.
- Many advanced features are only available through the command line, it would be best they would be available on the GUI.
- More easy understanding of its compatibility matrix, regarding support for NFS and CIFS protocols.
1) You will need a specialized storage admin who will be able to take all of its advantages and make available for your organization. It is an appliance that not so many storage admins would be comfortable working on. Invest properly on both hardware and human resources.
2) You will scale forever. We started with a couple of hundred of Terabytes and grew to dozens of Petabytes.
- Good for storage Optimizing.
- Good velocity.
- Strong agility in the product.
- Not suited for HPC.
- Doesn't work well for retail.
I manage the information to help the several users access and create data for different departments.
IBM Spectrum Scale is a good solution for the requirements of our customers.
- It shares information
- It's efficient
- Good management of clusters
- Support for high availability
- Better ways to update
- Less outage time in the upgrades.
- More time between versions
Easy way to share information among servers.
Reliability of the information.
High Availability of the information.
- Provides a single pane of glass for storage management
- Orchestrates both IBM and non-IBM storage
- Can manage both cloud and on-premise storage
- Requires a learning curve and training to manage the product