Salesforce Lightning is a suite of rapid application development tools which allow Salesforce users to extend the CRM with custom built applications.Salesforce - is it for your business?We use Salesforce Lightning within my company predominantly for pipeline management, campaign, and marketing management, calendar keeping, and task recording for efficiency. Our outreach workers each work a specific pipeline of individuals in order to connect with them and have them come into initial appointments. It is being used by two apartments - Outreach and Service team. The main problem is tracking prospect progress, and being a database for our outreach teams.,MANY options - ability to customize it to our specific problems, and even create custom consoles and views that are most helpful for our team, VERY reliable. Have yet to have any crashes or losses of data, Customizable - so far most issues that we have had have been things that have options to improve and fix. Its a very moldable software.,Number of clicking Too many windows opening - gets a bit jumbled Reports are far too difficult to customize. Not intuitive,6,Has made it easier to collaborate on campaigns and plan them - which has been helpful in making more useful marketing campaigns - directly impacting sales numbers Has made it more difficult for sales people to filter and quickly run reports, negatively impacting sales numbers It has had a positive impact on processes once our software team was able to customize the software to specifically help the sales specialists.,Zoho CRM,Zoho CRM, Google Cloud AIQuicker and intuitive product to organize your recordsWe use Salesforce Lightning to keep all of our accounts accurately represented across the full spectrum of sales, account maintenance, collections, and everything in between. It allows us to quickly access the records we need in a way that cuts through all the extraneous information which isn't needed. We are able to communicate across departments and to attach the documents needed for legal purposes. It seamlessly works with other programs such as Outlook and DocuSign. The number of details and the speed with which one can get to is impressive on both fronts.,The organized views quickly break down the records, no matter how large, into easily digestible pieces. The links to other pages inside Salesforce Lightning are easy and quick to use. The details available are precise.,The link to Sales Dialer could be more seamless. New users seem to be overwhelmed learning the system's details.,10,It allows us to keep records of what works and what doesn't allowing us to adapt to circumstances and improve constantly. It loads quickly whenever a customer calls in, allowing a quick response and quick verifications.,Salesforce Analytics Cloud,Inside Sales Box, Jabber, NetFortris (formerly Fonality)Salesforce Lightning ReviewI used to use Salesforce Lightning at my last job to track contract and project revenue for all clients. It was used by the entire company as a means to keep all SLAs and revenue projections in one place. We were able to more accurately track revenue this way, as well as manage one-offs and larger client projects.,Cloud-based. Voice call capabilities. Outlook compatibility.,Confusing Interface - Requires more training. Some support issues. Difficult to easily identify possible duplicate leads in the system.,8,Newer look & feel is easier to use. It cut out spreadsheets, contacts lists, and the mystery behind existing client/business relationships. Several manual reports have been eliminated.,Struck by Lightning and Loving ItSalesforce Lightning is the main UX for Sales Cloud and is used across the organization. It addresses productivity improvement.,Keeps you up-to-date on your accounts. There's a great News feature that shows the latest PR or articles about companies in your database. There have been times where I was about to hop on a call only to see the company was recently acquired or recently implemented a company wide-marketing solution. Fantastic intel and save me searching for it. I love the Google address search feature. If I put in the street information, Google will populate the city, state, zip and country. A great time saver when I'm adding new prospects. The Gmail integration is fantastic. It lets me quickly add prospects who contact me via email. It's pretty good at reading signature lines to populate the basic name and contact info. I find the new report builder more powerful when trying to build cross-object reports. Plus I love that you can email the nice new dashboards.,On occasion, Lightning will throw out random errors. The errors can usually be fixed by refreshing your browser but the problem is that when you refresh, you lose the work you just entered. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's a real pain. Not all of the Classic features are in Lightning. An example is the recycling bin - you need to switch to Classic to access it. Another example is Joined Reports. I wish there were more out of the box page layouts available. It would be nice to have a three-column page layout in some sections or have a drag and drop page builder. The page layout function needs to be revamped. It would be great if it were easier to add custom metrics in reports (for example formulas or baseline numbers) that could be reused without having to build fields.,9,I would say that data entry time (leads and new contacts) has been reduced by 50% easily. Time spent prepping for discovery calls has been reduced by 10% since Lightning serves up information about the business. Checking the pipeline is a lot faster. In Classic, you can only add 3 components to the home page. Lightning gives you a lot more flexibility to add key KPIs to the home page to manage the business.SFDC Lightning - great with some wonky bitsIt's being used in the sales org at this time (about 50-60 people). The customer success teams use Salesforce Classic at this time since Lightning was just rolled out. Seems like the plan is to roll out to the entire company at some point. It is used as our primary CRM and has integrations with a lot of our different systems (Marketo, Contivio phone system.),Mobile friendly - the app is pretty solid Visually pleasing compared to classic. A bit more intuitive as you can adjust or edit things much easier in Lightning vs Classic.,Some of the flows are....weird. Example - if you are deleting a task or event, it takes you back to the previous page you are on and doesn't stay on the current page you are on. If I'm on an account and use the option to delete the tasks (without clicking into it) it will take me to the search screen. The Activities section doesn't show enough detail. it shows the date you called, but not the TIME that you called. In sales, knowing the time is huge. If you have integrations with other software and you go to edit a page, the selected edit box will jump around randomly and you will end up typing in the wrong area.,8,Helps me manage my accounts and cadences for reaching out. Helps me accurately manage my pipeline Helps our company with forecasting and customer success,Slack, Contivio.com, ADP Workforce Now, G Suite
Salesforce Lightning

Salesforce Lightning Reviews

Salesforce Lightning
Filter 103 vetted Salesforce Lightning reviews and ratings

Andrew McClean profile photo
February 22, 2019

Salesforce Lightning Review: "Salesforce - is it for your business?"

• MANY options - ability to customize it to our specific problems, and even create custom consoles and views that are most helpful for our team,
  • VERY reliable. Have yet to have any crashes or losses of data,
  • Customizable - so far most issues that we have had have been things that have options to improve and fix. Its a very moldable software.
  • Number of clicking
  • Too many windows opening - gets a bit jumbled
  • Reports are far too difficult to customize. Not intuitive
I would recommend it to a person wanting to get really technical about their pipeline management. If you are interested in specializing all types of different consoles and spending a lot of time and energy to customize the software - this is for you. If you do not want to do that, and you would like a software that is pretty easy to work with right out the gate - I would suggest that you use a different product.
Read Andrew McClean's full review
Bill Boykin profile photo
February 01, 2019

Salesforce Lightning Review: "Quicker and intuitive product to organize your records"

• The organized views quickly break down the records, no matter how large, into easily digestible pieces.
  • The links to other pages inside Salesforce Lightning are easy and quick to use.
  • The details available are precise.
  • The link to Sales Dialer could be more seamless.
  • New users seem to be overwhelmed learning the system's details.
It works on all levels of account management. It allows all departments to communicate through the system and to be aware of what each department is doing. In an environment where speed and details are key, Salesforce Lightning is a powerful tool for success.
Read Bill Boykin's full review
Tiffany Thielepape profile photo
January 16, 2019

"Salesforce Lightning Review"

• Cloud-based.
  • Voice call capabilities.
  • Outlook compatibility.
  • Confusing Interface - Requires more training.
  • Some support issues.
  • Difficult to easily identify possible duplicate leads in the system.
It really depends on the size of your company since there are much simpler, yet powerful CRMs available on the market today. That said, Salesforce integrates with EVERYTHING...so in many cases, it's going to be the best system.
Read Tiffany Thielepape's full review
Yvette Montague profile photo
November 29, 2018

Salesforce Lightning Review: "Struck by Lightning and Loving It"

• Keeps you up-to-date on your accounts. There's a great News feature that shows the latest PR or articles about companies in your database. There have been times where I was about to hop on a call only to see the company was recently acquired or recently implemented a company wide-marketing solution. Fantastic intel and save me searching for it.
  • I love the Google address search feature. If I put in the street information, Google will populate the city, state, zip and country. A great time saver when I'm adding new prospects.
  • The Gmail integration is fantastic. It lets me quickly add prospects who contact me via email. It's pretty good at reading signature lines to populate the basic name and contact info.
  • I find the new report builder more powerful when trying to build cross-object reports. Plus I love that you can email the nice new dashboards.
  • On occasion, Lightning will throw out random errors. The errors can usually be fixed by refreshing your browser but the problem is that when you refresh, you lose the work you just entered. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's a real pain.
  • Not all of the Classic features are in Lightning. An example is the recycling bin - you need to switch to Classic to access it. Another example is Joined Reports.
  • I wish there were more out of the box page layouts available. It would be nice to have a three-column page layout in some sections or have a drag and drop page builder. The page layout function needs to be revamped.
  • It would be great if it were easier to add custom metrics in reports (for example formulas or baseline numbers) that could be reused without having to build fields.
I think that Lightning is suited for most users across all industries. There are just a few kinks that still need to be worked out, but no show stoppers.

If you want to limit the time spend administering the system or writing custom code (VF/Apex), Lightning does have many features and components that can be added and modified with clicks not code. Gone are the days when you need a whole team of people to maintain Salesforce. You can get by with 1 person if it's a small to mid-sized org, and 2-4 if it's a large enterprise.

Lightning works for small business (one user) and large business. It works great for for-profit and non-profit (there's actually a special non-profit version). It also works great across a variety of industries. I can't think of a situation where it wouldn't be a good fit.
Read Yvette Montague's full review
Brian Hopper profile photo
November 19, 2018

Salesforce Lightning Review: "SFDC Lightning - great with some wonky bits"

• Mobile friendly - the app is pretty solid
  • Visually pleasing compared to classic.
  • A bit more intuitive as you can adjust or edit things much easier in Lightning vs Classic.
  • Some of the flows are....weird. Example - if you are deleting a task or event, it takes you back to the previous page you are on and doesn't stay on the current page you are on. If I'm on an account and use the option to delete the tasks (without clicking into it) it will take me to the search screen.
  • The Activities section doesn't show enough detail. it shows the date you called, but not the TIME that you called. In sales, knowing the time is huge.
  • If you have integrations with other software and you go to edit a page, the selected edit box will jump around randomly and you will end up typing in the wrong area.
I love it for sales. It's easy to use and the app is powerful when you are on the go. It's got room for improvement but I would be lost without it.
Read Brian Hopper's full review
Doug Duff profile photo
November 08, 2018

Review: "Salesforce Lightning from the POV of an enterprise software sales org."

We use Salesforce Lightning as our main CRM. It stores all lead/prospect and accounts and current customer information. We use it to track the progression of an individual from an inbound lead to an opportunity to a customer. It is our main depository for sales and marketing related documentation. we also use Salesforce Lightning to generate automated email campaigns.
  • Clean UI
  • Easy to navigate around accounts
  • Customizable report
  • Ease of use when customizing specific workflows
Salesforce Lightning is well suited for either a start-up or a mature company to store and track information on leads and customers. As well as tracking sales progress.

I would not recommend Salesforce Lightning to be the main automated email tool for a company.
Read Doug Duff's full review
Loren Lund profile photo
August 29, 2018

Salesforce Lightning Review: "A new look on a classic tool"

Salesforce Lightning is being used globally, across the whole Rapid7 organization, to provide a receptacle for legacy NetSuite data to make outreach efforts and customer tracking even more visible across all facets of the organization. It saves us time by allowing us to track our efforts, set tasks, send out quotes, make sure there is no double outreach, and increase our ability to be agile in our sales/customer retention/support roles.
  • Consolidated legacy data from different CRM's
  • Set tasks for outreach
  • Track the sales process and contacts involved
  • Make sure deliverables are held accountable to in a timely manner
  • Auto logging calls
  • The Salesforce Lightning inbox integration for Gmail is frustrating
  • When using multiple tabs it really bogs down the speed of the application
  • Tasks could have some auto features like date and contact, to minimize the amount of clicking for anticipated tasks
Salesforce Lightning is best suited for Sales people, Customer Service, Support, and Managers to track employee production. Salesforce Lightning is less appropriate for scenarios where you are attempting to filter through mass amounts of data quickly. They need to increase application speeds to limit frustration and clicks where it is not necessary.
Read Loren Lund's full review
Mark Evans profile photo
August 28, 2018

Salesforce Lightning Review: "Using Lightning for over a year... meh."

Salesforce Lightning is being used by my company to track customers and prospects. It's mostly used to track them in the sales process. Sales department uses Salesforce the most compared to other departments, though support, engineers, and onboarding teams all use it on more of a limited level.
  • It makes reports look a lot more appealing than Salesforce Classic
  • It is easier to edit in-line items
  • Lightning is more aesthetically pleasing than Classic
  • It does not map to our version of Classic
  • Multiple clicks to try and find information about a customer, opportunity, or other areas
  • Some buttons on Classic have not ported into Lightning so my team has to switch between Classic and Lightning to accomplish daily tasks.
Well suited if you are a big user of the dashboards or reports tabs in classic. It is overall a more cosmetically pleasing experience and some areas of normal frustration have been cleaned up while others are not ready yet. Though, it seems to be pushing out a beta experience because not everything works like it should, and we often have to switch between Salesforce Classic and Lightning to get normal daily tasks completed.
Read Mark Evans's full review
Pradeep Bele profile photo
December 12, 2018

User Review: "Salesforce Lightning a top CRM product"

We provide the support for Salesforce Lightning and build lightning application according to business needs. It has been used across the organisation, overriding the existing salesforce functionality using lightning components.
  • Its component based framework.
  • It support for rapid application development.
  • It is a very light weight application.
  • Most of the features are supported in classic view but not in lightning view, so Salesforce should look into this.
  • It is very user friendly so I don't think is much to improve, as Salesforce is continuously adding features and more functionality.
Salesforce Lightning has light weight applications so the performance is very high, also the customer interaction is on a more timely basis, so it is very well suited for business usages.

I guess when the organisation is financially strong they should go for Salesforce Lightning as the licensing cost is much higher compared to the other CRM applications.
Read Pradeep Bele's full review
Matthew Finneran profile photo
November 29, 2018

Salesforce Lightning Review: "SFDC lightning vs classic - ehh if you can make it work you should switch, but don't stress about it."

We continue to try and implement SFDC lightning but many users continue to go back to Classic. It's an updated look but that's about it. Overall it feels like SFDC rolled it out too early and immature without matching feature/functionality with classic - only to try and force adoption later on.
  • It's a nicer UI. They started doing some good Js stuff
  • The mobile implementation isn't bad
  • I like how, by using it, you have to click less than with classic. They implemented enough pop-up boxes where you can get some quick things done without the page refreshing each time you click like on classic.
  • Reporting - lots of stuff wrong here.
  • Overall I think SFDC sacrificed some functionality for ease of use. They hid some things whereas before they just splayed all info out on the page, and now there are more tabs etc
  • Wish they wouldn't force everyone to use it so much. Just make your product something people want to use instead of something they have to use.
If you're just starting out with a CRM and currently don't have an SFDC instance, you could probably get away with using Lightning right out of the gate. If you already have an instance that has been customized a lot - then lightning may end up being more of a headache than it's worth.
Read Matthew Finneran's full review
Christian Banach profile photo
October 01, 2018

Salesforce Lightning Review: "The CRM for Professional Sales Teams"

Our sales team uses Salesforce Lightning to manage leads, contacts, opportunities, and sales activities for our clients. It enables our sales team to make better decisions to generate more opportunities and close more business in less time.
  • Customizable
  • Third-Party Integrations
  • Pipeline Management
  • Clunky UI
  • Requires Professional Implementation
  • Reports
Salesforce Lightning is well suited for professional sales forces, especially those using others sales tools as part of their technology stack. It is less appropriate for less developed sales forces or those not requiring third-party integrations.
Read Christian Banach's full review
Sarah Van Sciver profile photo
September 27, 2018

Review: "Salesforce Lightning Strikes a Great Balance"

We use Salesforce in the Office of Advancement (broadly), and I specifically use it with the Office of Alumni and Family Engagement at CalArts in order to better relate to, serve, fundraise, and friendraise among the greater California Institute of the Arts community. We also enjoy its functionality to pair with and sync with other platforms we use for phonathon, communication, and marketing.
  • Boosts our productivity.
  • WYSIWYG interface.
  • Customizable snapshots, reports, and home screens.
  • Linking multiple systems is great but inconsistent across platforms.
  • Application building requires more work than we anticipated, not as simple a solution as we hoped.
  • Miss some features of other earlier versions.
Salesforce Lightning is well suited in scenarios in which we are concerned with task management, optimizing workflows, and bulk actions. Pipelining and storage of information are excellent, and dashboard customization is really wonderful compared to earlier iterations of Salesforce. Automation of e-mails and reports is great as well, as it enables us to better share and template strategies throughout our department.
Read Sarah Van Sciver's full review
January 19, 2019

Review: "Salesforce Lightning good for customization and scale, but not end-user friendly"

Context: we are an education company, but I've also used Salesforce Lightning in a traditional sales org. We have student-focused teams like admissions and student advisors. We also have account managers who build and sustain relationships with our partners using Salesforce.

Who uses it and for what:
  • Admissions: for tracking leads, recording all conversation information/notes, and ensuring their applications are complete.
  • Student advisors: once students are enrolled, they use the Contact and Opportunities objects to track student success in their programs, also recording all conversation information/notes.
  • Account management: our account managers track holistic student success data to track account health.
  • Management/leadership: we use Salesforce Lightning to know how we're performing as a company. Our students' success is directly our success.
  • Track customers/students via an individual object: via lead or contact, but not by tracking them via both.
  • Compare the performance of your team members via reports and dashboards.
  • Limit permissions of people or groups of people.
  • It’s hard to run reports or create working “views” for customer-focused teams that include both Leads and Contacts in the same report.
  • Some fields do not map from Lead to Contact object. When a customer/student transitions from application to acceptance, some dropdown and fill-in fields completely disappear from the student’s page in Salesforce. Every version of Salesforce I’ve used has this problem.
  • Salesforce overall is clunky and confusing for the average user. We require thorough Salesforce training for new hires on all teams because it’s not user-friendly or obvious what to click on to achieve a specific task.
Well suited:
  1. Groups that need to integrate their CRM with other partners: many of our partners use Salesforce!
  2. Groups with huge customer populations now, or expected in the future.
  3. Groups that have resources for custom Salesforce development, like an in-house Salesforce Developer role.
Less appropriate:
  1. If you expect your company will have a limited number of customers.
  2. If you set up Salesforce to use ONLY Leads or only Contacts, not both. What happens if you have a customers upsell or re-purchase? How do you handle losing data when converting a Lead to a Contact? If you don't have good answers for these in advance, you'll want to use only Leads or only Contacts to track each customer/student.
January 18, 2019

Salesforce Lightning Review: "An updated UX from Salesforce classic"

Salesforce Lightning is being used as my company's CRM platform. We utilize it to track the buyer's journey, understand target accounts and prospects, and then understand where clients are in the use of our products. Salesforce is mostly used by our sales team, as well as the account team. We have other systems integrated into Salesforce, such as Pardot, service cloud, and financial force, which means that almost the entire company touches the system in one capacity or another.
  • The Salesforce Lightning user experience is definitely an upgrade from classic. It makes it much easier to see multiple accounts, leads, etc.
  • When implemented properly, Salesforce has some great reporting capabilities to better understand and improve upon the sales cycle and process
  • With many different integration capabilities, Salesforce has a lot of potential to be a single platform for an entire organization.
  • The migration between classic and Lightning is not the simplest, and has a lot of possibilities to cause confusion for those who are used to the classic version.
  • Salesforce provides a lot of customization options, which in theory is great, but can also lead to a messy organization that can quickly become very expensive to try to maintain.
  • The support available for Salesforce leaves much to be desired. Although they have many educational resources, because every instance of SalesForce is different, it would be better to have someone who you can speak with and can actually help troubleshoot.
Salesforce Lightning, similar to SalesForce classic, is well suited for companies selling a product and looking to manage their customers. It can be a scalable system for managing the sales cycle. It's probably less appropriate if you are looking for something just for a specific team outside of sales, there are likely better tools out there. That said, one value of Salesforce is how many integration partners they have and additional services they offer to meet the needs of different team functions.
December 18, 2018

Salesforce Lightning Review: "Salesforce but with a UI facelift"

It really depends on the individual using it. I've attempted to use Salesforce Lighting a few times, but I prefer the classic version to the Lighting version. Some departments within our organization have switched over, but the majority have remained on the classic version. I'll admit, it's difficult switching after using the classic version for over 5 years.
  • A simplified, clean user interface.
  • For me, the setup is more organized than before.
  • The assistance feature on the home page is a nice touch.
  • Lightning doesn't seem a customizable as the classic version.
  • Overall, the biggest change is simply the UI. Other than that, it doesn't motivate you to switch over if you prefer the classic version.
  • Not all integrations with Salesforce are Lightning-ready.
It doesn't differentiate itself much from the classic version other than the UI. Because of that, I've been hesitant to switch as I'm already comfortable using the classic version and it doesn't motivate me to make the jump. It's possible that there are features that I'm missing out on that perhaps Salesforce could do a better job of educating me on.
August 28, 2018

Review: "Salesforce Lightning allows for analytics and business intelligence in a flash!"

We use Salesforce Lightning as part of our day to day operations in several areas throughout our organization. We have been heavy Salesforce users for a number of years and when this new UI came out we had the option to try it and use it in sales, client support and account management. Salesforce allows us to standardize, build and maintain several business processes.
  • Allows for powerful business intelligence chart/graphs
  • Great sales tools like Kanban views
  • The User Interface is easy to use
  • Missing some of the functionality in Salesforce Classic
  • Takes some time to get used to if you have been using classic for a number of years
Works great for highly visual tasks but not as great for record keeping and maintence
November 29, 2018

"Review for Salesforce Lightning"

We use Salesforce for our resources and referral program. We run a contact center to provide health information and resources for the state. People can contact us through phone, text and live chat. Our agents provide them the resources and refer them to appropriate programs. SF provides the CRM solution for this program.
  • Very helpful to have the lightning layout to create quick data intake while agents are on the phone.
  • Nice drag and drop features.
  • Mobile friendly.
  • Lightning pop-up form's size is fixed and is not flexible enough.
  • When you update the report that links to a chart, the chart doesn't automatically update accordingly.
  • Not all apps work in Lightning - for example, Salesforce's own LiveMessage only works in classic.
It works very nicely for call center chatting. Call and data intake flow seems to follow a very mature workflow, which SF solidly has. We recently added LiveMessage (a product from Salesforce to allow texting). Agents can log into Salesforce Lightning with LiveMessage, but in order to send and receive messages, agents have to switch to Classic. It's not an ideal workflow at all, considering LiveMessage is a Salesforce product as well.
September 24, 2018

Salesforce Lightning Review: "Salesforce: it’s fast as Lightning!"

Salesforce Lightning has replaced a previous donor database, a Microsoft Access database, numerous Excel spreadsheets, and a paper filing system. We can now house all that information in one platform: Salesforce. Lightning is a more user-friendly interface than the Classic version.
  • Sleeker interface
  • Better search functionality
  • See more of the information you need and less of what you don’t
  • Customizable
  • Doesn’t work well with some of our custom objects
  • Admin functions still require Salesforce Classic
  • More difficult to customize reports
  • Really need an entire staff role solely dedicated to it for optimization
We use it to store all donor/client information, it makes it easy to find the information you need fast and on the go. Lightning is only difficult when working custom objects or for system admin duties.
Sarah Stauber profile photo
August 03, 2018

Salesforce Lightning Review: "Critical sales enablement tool"

Salesforce Lightning is critical to our organization and is used by our entire sales team as well as our VP of Sales and consulting services team to manage our end-to-end sales process. Our sales team uses it to manage leads, opportunities, and clients. It allows us to log notes and communications, schedule tasks (i.e. follow up calls), events (i.e. product demos, proposal review calls), and reminders. We also use it to forecast our quarterly sales revenue, which is critical to the business. And it gives us all visibility into which companies are already in conversations with other sales reps in our organization, and which companies might be appropriate to reengage.
  • The platform makes it easy to tracks communications, saving our reps a ton of time with it's Outlook integration for automatic email logging.
  • It's also easy to build custom reports to keep track of individual performance benchmarks for planning.
  • I do miss some of the functionality from Salesforce Classic, like the ability to build a custom home page by user, which is not supported in Lightning.
  • I also have not been able to figure out how to view my "recently viewed" items without seeing what's been recently viewed by all users, although there may be a way I'm not aware of.
I think any sales team with young, computer saavy sales reps, or reps that haven't used a CRM at all before, should opt for Lightning as they seem to be phasing out Classic and adding more and more functionality to Lightning. But if your team has been used to Classic and is resistant to change it might not be worth switching until there's no longer a choice as it could interrupt productivity. It does take a little time to get used to.
Read Sarah Stauber's full review
August 20, 2018

Salesforce Lightning Review: "Salesforce is a FORCE for our SALES!"

We currently use Salesforce as our donor management software, and we use it to track not only donations but event attendance and updated contacted information for our alumni community. Every person at our organization has access to Salesforce as our main database for tracking information about our participants and alumni. Salesforce allows us to look up all of the information we would need on a member of our community.
  • Lots of options and flexibility for customization to suit your organization's individual needs. This is great because the system can work for both large or small organizations with a variety of goals and methods of tracking data.
  • The system is well organized and easy to use if you are willing to dedicate the time to understand it and learn how it works, it makes intuitive sense. This is helpful and a strength when training new staff members on Salesforce.
  • Good customer service + ticketing assistance. The system is great because whenever I have encountered issues - mostly having to do with questions about how to use the software itself - I have received help in a timely fashion and it has always been helpful.
  • Salesforce could use some room to improve its reporting system. I find this system is difficult to use and confusing, as some reports that seem to have the same criteria yield different results once the report is run. This is also a part of the system that most staff I train Salesforce to find very confusing and hard to use.
  • Could be overhauled. Salesforce looks okay to use, but I feel that it doesn't have an up-to-date design, at least in the version that we use at our organization. With so many other products constantly updating their tool, it makes Salesforce feel slightly outdated.
  • Can be hard to use or intimidating for a newcomer - I get this feedback a lot from staff I train in Salesforce. They have an extensive FAQ/how to use section on their website, but some of the functionality is genuinely non-intuitive and even though I have been using the system for two years, I still run into questions where I have no idea how to customize something or add new information to the database.
I think Salesforce is very appropriate for tracking your customers or contacts, or in our case donors. I do not have personal experience using any of Salesforce's competitors, as every organization I have ever worked at uses Salesforce. This speaks to the universality of the system, and one of the benefits of Salesforce is how widely it is used and you are not learning some niche system that is only incorporated at one or two organizations. I would say that any company that has customers, or donors, or a group of people that they interact regularly with and needs to track information about, would benefit from using Salesforce to track these people and metrics. The customization of Salesforce lends itself easily to a variety of uses. I would say that Salesforce might not be necessary for a smaller organization where you don't need to track much information about the people you work with.
July 19, 2018

Salesforce Lightning Review: "A CRM Worth Looking At"

Salesforce Lightning will eventually be used across our whole organization for various purposes. Each department is being implemented in phases. Our goal is to have all departments under one system where they can be connected to the same data. This addresses a multitude of business problems, the largest being data integrity.
  • Provides a large platform with many options to fit business needs.
  • Has a modern UI along with a mobile option.
  • The platform is encompassing with cutting-edge technology
  • Marketing Cloud needs a lot of work yet
  • Reported issues are not handled that quickly
  • In some cases, there is missing functionality that no one seems to be addressing
It is well suited for organizations that are looking to track data on Customers/Contacts. We use it for higher education purposes but I could see this being VERY useful for sales/customer relations track. This may be less appropriate for small organizations that don't have the IT resources to get up and going.
August 14, 2018

Salesforce Lightning Review: "Lightening is okay - could be better!"

The UX and UI is better looking than the normal Salesforce but it doesn't operate better. It feels like it takes more clicks to get into account and view the information. It's too cumbersome if you're trying to utilize your CRM all day everyday. It could have something to do with how the system was originally set it.
  • It looks good.
  • Adding tabs to the home page is great.
  • Reporting looks very good too.
  • Too cumbersome.
  • Too many options within accounts which don't matter.
  • Too many upsell calls from sales.
It works well to get the job done. I've used it at large organizations and it's well maintained. When using at a small organization, there isn't anyone to help keep the data clean. It can become inundated with trash data which makes the system hard to use.
I would suggest small organizations use the classic mode.

Salesforce Lightning Scorecard Summary

Visual Modeling (5)
Drag-and-drop Interfaces (6)
Platform Security (6)
Platform User Management (6)
Reusability (5)