A Reliable, Fully-Managed Redis Servicehttps://www.trustradius.com/non-relational-databasesAmazon ElastiCacheUnspecified9.181012019-02-07T20:50:08.090Z
February 07, 2019
A Reliable, Fully-Managed Redis Service
Score 9 out of 101
Overall Satisfaction with Amazon ElastiCache
The engineering and data science teams at my organization used Redis-flavored ElastiCache to cache recommendations and other personalization data that changes infrequently and is expensive to compute. Redis is great, but we don't want to manage it. It has been easy for us to scale reads with replicas and scale writes with shards.
- Amazon ElastiCache is fully-managed. Our team is small, and our ability to configure, monitor and patch Redis will never be our competitive advantage.
- Amazon ElastiCache is fast and scalable. It is easy to scale reads with replicas.
- Amazon ElastiCache is integrated with CloudWatch. You get metrics out-of-the-box, and it is easy to create alerts for them.
- Amazon ElastiCache is expensive.
- The AWS Console for ElastiCache is not the most intuitive console.
- Amazon ElastiCache has increased developer velocity; developers can use fully-managed versions of the tools they like, Redis and Memcached.
- We monitor our cluster better; CloudWatch metrics are provided out-of-the-box, and it is easy to create alerts for them.
- Amazon ElastiCache is reliable; we can focus on shipping features rather than availability.
Amazon ElastiCache is a great managed Redis or Memcached service. ElastiCache with the Redis engine is great for caching expensive responses or queries. It is great if you need a distributed mutex. It is great as a message broker. If you need Redis but don't have the resources to manage it yourself, consider ElastiCache. It may not be economical for very large scale installations, however.