Overall Satisfaction with Dell PowerEdge R
We exclusively run these servers in all our supported environments. We used to use them as physical servers and now they are all set up as ESXi hosts. They are usually set up with 8 locally attached hard drives that serve as the data stores for ESXi.
- Price vs. Performance. We run these servers for our customers with lower budgets. $6500 will get you a work horse capable of running at least 6 more VM guests.
- Highly configurable to suit your enviroment.
- Efficient on power. When replacing older servers, we typically see power consumption drop dramatically.
- Costs can be prohibitive for very small companies.
- Must purchase ProSupport to get enterprise level support.
- Less power consumption - Smaller UPS needed, increased runtime
- More computing power - Depending on your configuration, you can consolidate multiple servers to run on these
- More storage options
As mentioned before, we run these servers as an ESXi server for all companies that we support. They are great, if you are looking to run VMWare essentials these would make perfect hosts. They also would work very well as physical servers if that is what your clients require.