October 29, 2018
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Oracle Exadata Database Machine
It's the best platform to run Oracle Database. You can consolidate all your DB workload to Exadata and it will perform much better than other platforms. We got almost a 3-5x boost on Exadata. It is one of the best and easy to manage platforms and gives full control to DBA. Backup and restore of Database is also easier, simpler, and faster.
- It runs analytical workloads much faster.
- The HCC compression helps to reduce the storage cost and increase storage efficiency
- Ideal platform to consolidate database.
- It's difficult to find the cons.
- Entry cost may be high but if you compare overall cost with performance, then it's not a big factor.
- It does not support legacy database version.
I do not think there is any alternative for Exadata. Flash storage or SSD can not solve the IO bottleneck issues the way Exadata handles the IO subsystem.
The machine is best suited for data warehouses and analytical workloads, and with new features it even provides better performance on OLTP as well. It keeps improving with every version and getting better and better day by the day. The DBAs will enjoy the full control of the system and enhance their skills. It's best for OLTP and DWH.