Likelihood to Recommend
Appium is well suited when you need to write automation tests with low costs. It's very simple to start up, configure and run. It doesn't depend on the application platform and is portable to many programming languages like Java, Ruby, etc. If you have a team of developers and SDETs and you need to increase the code coverage simply and fast, Appium is your best choice.
Katalon Studio is appropriate for big projects. And it is really suitable for users having minimum programming skills. It also supports both manual and script modes. A web app and mobile app are available.
- Offers an excellent user interface application to assist in designing cases by previewing app screens and retrieving names of the elements you intend on interacting with
- Provides a generally accessible documentation suite on the web, which you will reference quite often
- Handles the connection between Appium's server and Xcode's tools during execution well
- Easy to use
- Amazing features for both web app and mobile application
- Easy to find support
- It supports both manual and script mode
- Execution against live iOS devices can be quite slow. This will likely be improved in the near future
- Challenging for a new user to take on without guidance from a veteran
- Upgrading to a new version of Xcode before the tool is updated can render you suite useless, until an update is available
- Tutorials and Documentation need to be updated along with new version releases
- Hope to see more active users and distinguish topic on Katalon forum
If you're an Apple developer, you use Xcode. It's practically a forced necessity. For system testing though, it doesn't have to be. You can have your development team focus on unit and integration tests in their platform and another team automate acceptance tests with a language they are more familiar with.
Return on Investment
- For cost of ownership, the increase is positive times infinity, as it's free to install and use
- Lead time for suite development can be a negative, if not planned for during sprint planning
- Using Appium to execute tests in parallel across a cloud solution can improve CI/CD cycles by 100's of a percent
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
Additional Pricing Details—
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?