Likelihood to Recommend
It is well suited especially for users that access or store sensitive/confidential data on their computers. In the case of where users are accessing confidential data over the network, it is highly recommended to use Bitlocker to encrypt the computer. In the case where users are storing confidential data on their computer, it should be a requirement that BitLocker is used/enabled.It would be less appropriate if someone was using a computer and they were not dealing with any sensitive data, or in cases where the computer is used for recreational purposes (browsing the web, playing games, etc).
Supervisor in Information TechnologyEducation Management Company, 1001-5000 employees
- On my customer's machines, it's convenient that BitLocker can be set up to automatically open an encrypted volume so that my customer doesn't have to enter the passphrase every time they log in.
- BitLocker is compatible with NTFS and ReFS which gives you options for your storage.
- There doesn't really appear to be any performance penalty for encrypted volumes, so it is a seamless experience.
- Even if it's the best we tested, I think write performance could be improved. Maybe with dedicated hardware inside the TPM?
- No integration with OS password is a shame as most others have it and it is Microsoft on Microsoft so they can probably do it better then anyone else and safer.
- I wish they would support multiple passwords like FileVault on macOS. If it's a shared computer, you have to give the only password to Bitlocker to both users.
Based on 3 answers
I give it a nine because encryption always leaves room for improvement, and it must change as security threats evolve and improve, and having an ever-evolving system is essential.
There is not much alternative to Bitlocker, you may want to try self-encrypted disk, but for a business perspective, it is not as easy as Bitlocker to manage. Self-encrypted may be faster, but recovering data for a system administrator is a disaster.There was more alternative before, but Bitlocker now dominate the market.
Return on Investment
- Protects against data loss and theft, which can be very expensive if PII, SPI, PHI is involved. Fines for this type of loss can be very high, along with the costs of notification, and discovery.
- Cost is included in Windows O/S, without needing additional licensing costs.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?