Likelihood to Recommend
IBM Z is well suited for large transactional environments with many input points, such as from computer terminals of an airline in the airports across the world. All of the banking scenarios, claims processing and other styles of environments would be perfect candidates. In addition, Oracle workloads are well suited for this platform, along with traditional DB2 and other Z based supported databases.
- Security is a specific strength of the Z platform. The IBM z14 provides Pervasive Encryption, making the platform one of the most secure hardware offerings available. Specialized cryptographic hardware is utilized to encrypt data and protect encryption keys, enabled through integration with a tamper-responding cryptographic HSM. The IBM z14 pervasively protects all application and database data, without interrupting business applications and operations, all the time, at any scale. True end-to-end data protection is provided for all in-flight network data and APIs. Imagine being able to protect all your data and applications without requiring IT or programmer action. With the z14 this becomes reality instead of imagination.
- IBM offers flexible pricing options to make it easier for customers to affordably adopt and utilize the Z enterprise servers for any type of workload that needs to be run. For example, with Container Pricing, customers can identify workload to containers and pay for them independently of any other workload at a reduced price. Container Pricing is an important breakthrough for mainframe customers because it offers competitive economics versus alternative platforms such as public clouds and on-premises x86 servers.
- The IBM z14 delivers high-end processing power and enhanced I/O capabilities. The latest model, the z14, offers increases in the performance of the individual PUs (processor units), increases in the number of PUs per system, a redesigned system cache, and an increase in the amount of memory possible.
- The system is capable of running more than 12 billion encrypted transactions per day on a single system. And the IBM z14 delivers industry leading scale to meet the needs of modern connected workloads. It can run a million Docker containers on single platform.
- The mainframe and z/OS have a long history of providing critical business value with transaction processing systems like CICS and IMS. And the transactions processed by these systems are often backed by DB2 and IMS databases. The applications and databases hosted on mainframe systems provide a rich tapestry of useful information that mobile users want to access.
- And mobile devices can connect to the System z platform consistently and effectively. With z/OS Connect the mainframe can use a single interface on z/OS that accepts standard mobile protocols and formats that can interact with multiple systems on the mainframe.
- The Z platform provides a superior platform for analytics & machine learning for continuous intelligence across the enterprise. The Machine Learning on Z platform, delivered in 2017, offers an agile machine learning solution that enables customers to convert enterprise data into opportunity. With machine learning on an IBM z14 you can optimize your decision processes by quickly training, deploying and continuously monitoring a high volume of high quality predictive behavioral models. The IBM z14 can also rapidly analyze large volumes of data with consistent response times by exploiting the additional memory and faster processors of the z14.
- Modern development techniqes and languages can be used, in addition to legacy systems. And Linux can be run on enterprise Z servers just as easily as z/OS.
- And the platform excels at traditional, transactional workloads, both online and in batch, using database systems, flat files, or VSAM.
- More access methods from a Management GUI Interface to help support on-site IBM SSR's perform job duties. IBM SSR's log into one or more IBM TSSC's (Management Interface for IBM personnel) to support Support Infrastructure needs such as: enabling AOS, offline of a back-end TS11** tape drive or Downloading VTD Exec's which could be critical fixes released from support seen in the field.
- More detailed/extensive lab testing before Ficon Host Adapters or ETH cards are released to new equipment sold in the field. We experienced multiple disruptive "Ficon Panics" within the recently purchased TS7760 Technology that had 16Gb Ficon cards behind a z14 mainframe with 16Gb Ficon cards. This turned out to be the following: shortage of data descriptors, block sizing, related to EEH or CAD code and we had an IBM TS7700 Architect come on-site and explain that a fix was made in the 8Gb Ficon cards that wasn't brought over into the 16GB Ficon cards. We've had to remove twenty 16Gb Ficon cards from seven TS7760's in our environment and replace with 8Gb Ficon cards until IBM Development release's VTD Exec's and CMVC fixes before another implementation plan.
Employee in Information TechnologyInsurance Company, 10,001+ employees
Likelihood to Renew
IBM Z 9.1
Based on 2 answers
The IBM Z mainframe capabilities are unmatched for cloud readiness and optimization the learning capabilities are matched perfectly with Watson and the expandability of the cloud makes it a perfect choice.
IBM Z 9.1
Based on 1 answer
IBM Z 9.1
Based on 1 answer
IBM Z 8.2
Based on 1 answer
I do not personally have any key insights regarding implementation of IBM Z Enterprise Servers as that is what our mainframe architects do.
We currently have both X Linux and Windows platforms. The Windows applications support some of the smaller business units within Highmark very well and Z is probably not a solution for those environments. X Linux won out over Z Linux due to the processor requirements of the applications. The application ran better with dedicated cpu's and dedicated memory. These applications are mostly portals to the business applications that execute on z/OS. Be assured there are some professionals in the organization that would like to Z replaced however they do not understand the business application that execute on Z and are underestimating what that cost would be. Expanding new application to Z is very difficult even with the z/Connect and node JS support there simply is no interest in the application areas for that type of development.
Return on Investment
- Our company is able to run products on IBM Z that bring in a large amount of ROI for our company.
- Some of the products that run on IBM Z are very expensive when it comes to licensing, including IBM Z.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?