Apache OpenOffice Reviews

April 29, 2021
Fahad Khalil | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We are using Apache OpenOffice at our organization for easy working offline with documents, spreadsheets and slides without being bound to use any specific operating system because it is available for almost all popular operating system. It helps us to work with same files on any operating system like Windows, Linux, Android, etc. The collaboration tools are great and capable to meet all requirements of using office suite. It is available for free, simple to use, small in package size and comparatively lighter in its operation which definitely helps in keeping the system's resources free.
Read Fahad Khalil's full review
January 20, 2021
Aurangzaib Adil | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I'm saving money on authorizing cost by utilizing free office suite by Apache with an opportunity to pick any working arrangement of my decision.
I have utilized it for quite a long time for all word handling and bookkeeping page requires, without reliance on buying Microsoft. It makes life significantly less muddled!
In general, my experience has been amazing.
Read Aurangzaib Adil's full review
January 05, 2021
Waqar Ahmed | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Apache OpenOffice is being used by the Pharma Services division of Softronic Systems for creation/manipulation of documents, spreadsheets and presentations. It provides us freedom to choose any operating system of our choice like paid (Windows) and/or free (Linux). It is free. it helps us to save licensing cost which we were paying earlier for other similar software.
Read Waqar Ahmed's full review
December 28, 2020
Abdul Wahab Khan | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

At Softronic Systems in their pharma services division, I along with my team are using Apache OpenOffice for our daily needs of composing documents, composing news articles, making spreadsheets, and preparing presentations. It is not being used by whole organization but the pharma services division is effectively using it. Previously we were paying to use Microsoft Office.
Read Abdul Wahab Khan's full review
December 16, 2020
Pulkit Agrawal | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

At our University, we previously used Microsoft Office for all our documents work. Our students were also using the same software. But as a Technical institute, using open source softwares is a plus point. We recommend Apache OpenOffice as the default office suite software.
It helped us in reducing the subscription costs to 0.
Read Pulkit Agrawal's full review
February 12, 2020
Riva Schwartz | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Part of the work we do requires use of a MS Excel template. Since we use WordPerfect, we tried to open and use this form in QuattroPro, however, for some weird reason, it wouldn't convert properly. We do not use MS Office, so we needed an "MS-friendly" alternative. This fit the bill!
Read Riva Schwartz's full review
June 11, 2019
.Kim Murphy | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Our web developers and account managers use OpenOffice to create and edit documents and presentations for our customers. The program is lightweight on our computers' resources and runs very smooth most of the time, with minimal technical glitches. It loads up fast and does not have many of the same challenges as the Microsoft Office suite. Although it's not as good for large complex documents, it is all we need for most documents most of the time.
Read .Kim Murphy's full review
January 18, 2019
Cristian Bodnarasec | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

The Apache Open Office suite is seen in our organization as a replacement for Microsoft Office that will be used across all departments. Right now it is not, however, I have been evaluating it for a while now in order to present the replacement proposal to higher management. The biggest business problem that this will solve is reducing cost while addressing the needs covered currently by Microsoft Office.
Read Cristian Bodnarasec's full review
August 31, 2018
Nathan Bowman | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We use OpenOffice in most of our divisions, typically as a translator/swiss army knife for opening almost any file type and being able to work in it. We're a consulting firm, so we get lots of documents from all of our various different clients, and not having to email them back and say "Hey, we can't use your files, can you send us something else" keeps us looking professional. It also lets us do some neat tricks that other document suites don't - like being able to directly edit .dbx files in calc - things that keep us ahead of the curve.
Read Nathan Bowman's full review
December 17, 2018
Chris Hecox | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I use OpenOffice almost daily for general note taking and document formatting. OpenOffice is great for handling different document types and as a free alternative to a paid program like Microsoft Word.
Read Chris Hecox's full review
November 30, 2018
Kim Dammers | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I am the only person in our office who primarily uses Apache OpenOffice, although I have brought some others around to using it at least some of the time. This is especially true of the secretarial staff. As an office suite, it is used for general writing and calculating activities.
Read Kim Dammers's full review
March 09, 2018
Liz Wade | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I am a professional freelance photographer, so within my business, I handle all matters that require a word processor. I use OpenOffice, an open-source office productivity suite, to create any and all business-related documents: invoices, receipts, quotes, etc. I do not have the need to create more complicated documents or presentations, so I can move through the administrative part of my day with ease and no cost.

Read Liz Wade's full review
November 27, 2018

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

OpenOffice is a great free alternative to Microsoft Office, used to create presentations for other employees, briefs, bulletins and to organize information.
March 12, 2018

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I have been a user of OpenOffice off and on from when it was Star OfficeSuite; at the time it was the only Office Suite for Linux systems, and today is cross-platform and highly compatible and indeed equivalent with Microsoft Office.

While not being used across my current place of employment, in a previous career it was the sole office suite utilized by the business entity, selected because of its price and compatibility. With it I was able to send documents to other (larger) businesses who utilized current versions of Microsoft Office, and they were able to see the issued documents with high compatibility and no display issues.
February 13, 2018

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Our university is a Microsoft partnered institute and all the department issued laptops and machines come preinstalled with Microsoft Office solutions. Since I prefer Linux Ubuntu OS, I started using Apache's OpenOffice suite. In my personal use, I found it to be an excellent alternative to Microsoft Office. In our IT department, we also experimented with OpenOffice API as part of a software tool we developed to handle document conversion process.
January 31, 2018

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

It is being used by persons that use the Linux environment and some Windows users that like that it is open source or just prefer it to Microsoft Office. It is also being used by those who take their work home on their personal devices and want the open source version, so as to not have to buy the Microsoft version.

What is Apache OpenOffice?

Apache OpenOffice is a free open source office suite that includes six applications: Writer (word processor), Calc (spreadsheets), Impress (presentations), Draw (diagramming and graphics), Base (database), and Math (formulas).