I've been working with this tool for ten years. We have an ongoing vendor support team and we have an in-house one. For implementation …
CA Spectrum is being used by the monitoring, network technician, and network engineering teams at our organization. This keeps operations …
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of DX Spectrum, and make your voice heard!
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Would you like us to let the vendor know that you want pricing?
2 people want pricing too
DX Spectrum (formerly CA Spectrum) is network fault management software, from Broadcom company CA Technologies.
Companies can't remove reviews or game the system. Here's why
I've been working with this tool for ten years. We have an ongoing vendor support team and we have an in-house one. For implementation advice, I would say always plan your monitoring according to what you really need to monitor on your environment. Most of the problems we find today are related to operation process issues and not the tool at all. People have to know what they want before implementing the solution. The main valuable features for CA Spectrum are the network monitoring features, they are the product’s most valuable, due to the lack of these capabilities in any other monitoring tool. No other application monitors networks as well as Spectrum. Free tools are available to do what its other features do, such as server monitoring (CPU/memory/disk).
We are not using the latest version of the tool yet, but as far as I know, I think improving the reporting of data would be a good idea. The report area is very poor and we cannot work properly with additional information and the custom reports. We just use the default report for information that we have inside the database for these reports. To be honest, Spectrum is one of the most stable and less problematic solutions that we work with. It’s easy to scale and to deploy. The only time we’ve had problems with it was with some upgrading processes. It is not so intuitive and you have to make sure everything is correct. The CA support team is really capable and efficient when it comes to Spectrum. Most of the time they help us surprisingly fast and correctly. Setting up general monitoring is straightforward. However, if you need something different than the standard setup, some customizations need to be done. Thus, it becomes more complex as a whole.
As I’ve written, not only for Spectrum, but for any monitoring tool, you need to know what is critical in your environment and think how exactly you should monitor and treat it. If you have done that, everything will work just fine.
- Network Monitoring
- The most stable and less problematic solutions that we work with.
- Data Center/Telecom
As I said before, not only for Spectrum, but for any monitoring tool, you need to know what is critical in your environment and think about how exactly you should monitor and treat it. If you have done that, everything will work just fine.
- Well Suited - Networking Monitoring
- Less Appropriate - When you need to customize some monitoring and to update the version
CA Spectrum is being used by the monitoring, network technician, and network engineering teams at our organization. This keeps operations proactively aware of any preemptive issues, degradations, and outages within the network infrastructure. The monitoring team validates that the event is true, network technicians repair physical connections, while the network engineers configure the network devices.
- Polling and traps can be configured to take heartbeats at specified intervals and notify on an event in real-time, respectively.
- Topology of devices gives a high-level overview of network architecture.
- Discovery of devices is simple and secure with the use of community strings.
- Details can be added per device or alarm type for actions to be taken to make troubleshooting easier.
- Searching multiple devices of different IP ranges or hostnames simultaneously.
- Setting manual maintenance mode on a device to use current time as start time.
- Report generation.
- To detect network anomalies, outages, packet loss, blocks, floods, disconnections, link statuses, power supply failures, UPS failures/low batteries, etc.
- Basically anything that can and will go wrong with the network, Spectrum will give you the drop before user community is aware.