Feature rich IDE

October 11, 2021

Reviewer Sentiment

Positive ()
Negative ()
Learn how we calculate reviewer sentiment

TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2022
TrustRadius Best of Award, Best Of Feature Set 2021
TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2020
TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2019

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Eclipse, and make your voice heard!

6 people want pricing too

What is PyCharm?

PyCharm is a Python IDE which also contains static code testing capabilities.

What is IntelliJ IDEA?

IntelliJ IDEA is an IDE for Java Virtual Machine (JVM) from JetBrains. The vendor states IntelliJ IDEA analyzes code, looking for connections between symbols across all project files and languages. Using this information it provides indepth coding assistance, quick navigation, clever error analysis,…

Eclipse Video

15 Years of the Eclipse Foundation

Eclipse Integrations

Eclipse Technical Details

Eclipse is a free and open source integrated development environment (IDE).

What is Eclipse's best feature?

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 7.4.

Who uses Eclipse?

The most common users of Eclipse are from Enterprises (1,001+ employees) and the Computer Software industry.

We use Eclipse for developing the software. The software is developed in JAVA with a usage of Spring, Hibernate and some other frameworks. As we can choose from 2 IDE products within our IT department, it can be used by whoever decides to use it. It addresses business problems connected with our software.
November 04, 2021

Feature rich IDE

We the entire team at my company use Eclipse as the primary IDE for both Java and C++ development projects. We use it for both CDT and JDT development environments. Since it is very well maintained IDE and is in existence for more than a decade now, it is quite powerful and feature rich.
We currently use Eclipse IDE for some departments that like to use this IDE for software development. Our developers use it to quickly write code and deploy as it is easy to use and onboard new devs on it. It is also written to write unit testing for some of our applications. We also use Eclipse to deploy and test the applications using third-party tools which can be directly integrated into eclipse like TestNG.
Ejaz Hussain | TrustRadius Reviewer
Eclipse has been used very extensively all across our development teams for building variety of software products. I consider it to be one of the most reliable & versatile IDE in the market as it has almost every features which a developer would look for. It works & integrates very well with repositories like Github & SVN. It's overall user friendly UI helps developers write the code without any hassle. We were looking for an IDE which can support programming in multiple languages, so eclipse has really helped us in this aspect.
Giovanni Paredes | TrustRadius Reviewer
Eclipse IDE is used in the IT department for software development and solutions to problems that arise within the organization on a daily basis. It is used for the creation of services until the creation of compiled files to be consumed by other processes, it is also used to create personalized libraries that will be consumed by other services or programs.

These softwares can be used throughout the organization for daily tasks that can be presented to users.
October 11, 2021

Eclipse: Grand Old IDE

Eclipse is used in [the] software development department by developers that need to write code in Java programming language. As it's an integrated development environment (IDE), it speeds up the code writing and compilation processes by having features that assist with tasks that developers have to deal with daily, like code completion and unit testing.
Tharsanan Kurukulasingam | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Eclipse for writing java code and we have created an Eclipse plugin for our development as well. My day to day work is involved with Eclipse as I am a java developer. Developing code, starting servers and version controlling are very straightforward. Eclipse provides a lot of plugins to use. For example, we can use various plugins to detect code smells.
Eclipse is used in different departments of my organization, mainly in all IT-related departments, where having a trustworthy IDE is a must. Its main purpose is to be a platform to work with Java projects. I use it myself professionally, but I've also used it when learning to program in Java.
Eclipse is an integrated development environment (IDE) used in computer programming. I used Eclipse mainly to develop Java applications. It was being used by most developers I know that write Java code. I would say it is the best IDE for Java but it can also be used for other coding languages and applications. I use it both personally and professionally.
Rajshekhar Sahu | TrustRadius Reviewer
In my college, all labs are using Eclipse to teach the students. Labs in computer science and IT departments and also in the building of first-year students too. This software is used for teaching the students, coding in Java SE, and web development in Java EE. I personally used this software to develop my projects. I first used this software when I was learning the java in my coaching institute Vedisoft, and then I became used to it because it is the simplest and fastest IDE I have ever seen.
Akash Khurana | TrustRadius Reviewer
We used Eclipse, an integrated development environment (IDE), for software development. I develop Java Enterprise applications using Eclipse. We have some of the departments using Eclipse, while some other departments use other IDEs. It is open-source, has advanced debugging options, and is easy to use.
We installed several other plugins in Eclipse for the Version Control System, Lambok for code shorthand, and much more.
Bob Smith | TrustRadius Reviewer
Eclipse is our chosen IDE (Integrated Development Environment) of choice for all of our Java applications. We have been using it to build thick and thin client applications for the past 14 years to solve internal and external issues. Eclipse, with its plugin framework, allows it to be extended and integrate with most technologies providing a familiar environment no matter the technology used.
Currently, Eclipse is being used by the technical team (developers) and the business intelligence team, for both software development and big data report generation. Because it's an SAP consultancy firm, sometimes it needs to be used alongside with SAP Netweaver (SAP GUI) for additional features.
We are using Eclipse for building modern apps for multiple platforms such as Android, web, and desktop. Eclipse made it easy to deploy applications on cloud platforms due to the availability of plugins, and it is very easy to build a maven project based on Java using Eclipse. I have been using Eclipse for more than 5 years for both desktop and web-based application development. Vibrant support for the various tools of the Java enterprise makes the development of web-based applications a lot more effective and time-saving.
Sudha Govindaraju | TrustRadius Reviewer
I was a developer for a startup based in Houston. I used the Eclipse IDE to mainly develop Java applications. The Eclipse Software Development Kit(SDK) includes Java developers is meant for Java developers like me. It is free and open-source software. It also helped me develop applications in other programming languages via plug-ins. It really benefited our company as being the one IDE that supports programming in multiple languages.
January 10, 2020

My Take on Eclipse

It is used across the whole organization as a tool for any Java-related development. It speeds up and solves development mechanisms at my organization in order such as allowing users to easily perform Proof of Concepts around multiple technology stacks around Java and as well the faster development process helps as well.
Eclipse is the standard IDE used for Java development in the Technology department. Eclipse solves large projects well with complete code compilation and handles plug-in development. Eclipse is used for software development for trading and compliance applications that utilize MAVEN, AVRO, GIT which are essential to these applications. Eclipse enables different programming languages including Python, Java, and C++ which are vital to the firm. In addition, Eclipse is integrated with subversion which is the configuration management tool used firm-wide.
In our company currently, Eclipse is being phased-out, since other products were decided to serve as the main integrated development environment used for Java and other JVM languages. However, it is still widely used for the development of existing software in low-level languages such as C, C++, and Fortran. Thanks to its vast ecosystem of various plug-ins it helps a lot to increase the productivity of development.
Larry Reed | TrustRadius Reviewer
Eclipse is used by various people but is not generally used by the organization. I was a user before I started at SurveyMonkey and continued to use it up until early in 2019. The company has generally not encouraged any particular IDE until this year. Most folks tended to use SublimeText, with a fair number using PyCharm, and only a few of us on Eclipse. Those of us using Eclipse like it's fully integrated debugging environment for Python (which also attracted users to PyCharm, which is essentially Eclipse with paid-for enhancements). I particularly liked being able to use it to access SQL Server in the same environment as Python and Javascript.
I've used Eclipse since my student days as it is a very versatile development environment. Currently, we use Eclipse as the preferred way to write ABAP code for the SAP environment, and to manage our HANA landscape. Eclipse is mainly used by our developers and IT staff, and we have used it with our clients as well.