Eclipse Reviews

Bob Smith | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 13, 2020

Eclipse eclipses the competition... Is there really any other option?

Eclipse is our chosen IDE (Integrated Development Environment) of choice for all of our Java applications. We have been using it to build thick and thin client applications for the past 14 years to solve internal and external issues. Eclipse, with its plugin framework, allows it to be extended and integrate with most technologies providing a familiar environment no matter the technology used.
  • Maven Integration and Support
  • Subversion/Git integration
  • Eclipse has a large foot print
  • Updated versions require you to build out your plugins and migrate your projects
Eclipse is my go-to environment for Java development. I've also used it for embedded, C/C++, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, and more. Sometimes you need a few versions of Eclipse so it is easier to work between the different types of projects. Because Eclipse is open source there is a very large support base. I've used some of the enterprise versions of Eclipse before, but never really needed the paid features.
Being that Eclipse is open source and has a massive user base, there is outstanding community support. There are also enterprise version which offers paid support if you're into that sort of thing. That being said, I would be amiss to not share that I have spent hours and sometimes days trying to figure out why something was occurring in the environment or trying to replicate an issue another colleague was experiencing but I was not.
Read Bob Smith's full review
Kunal Verma | TrustRadius Reviewer

Modern Java Development IDE

We are using Eclipse for building modern apps for multiple platforms such as Android, web, and desktop. Eclipse made it easy to deploy applications on cloud platforms due to the availability of plugins, and it is very easy to build a maven project based on Java using Eclipse. I have been using Eclipse for more than 5 years for both desktop and web-based application development. Vibrant support for the various tools of the Java enterprise makes the development of web-based applications a lot more effective and time-saving.
  • Simplified IDE makes it easy to write clean and efficient code.
  • Debugging is very easy in Eclipse.
  • Sometimes it crashes on loading big projects.
  • More language support is required such as python.
Since it is a modern development IDE, it can be used by both novices and experts alike to build effective applications and software. Working on Eclipse makes it very comfortable to write code and debug it. It is also free to use and we don't need to spend money to get Eclipse. Vibrant plugins are offered in the Eclipse marketplace as well.
Eclipse support is very responsive and I believe that regular updates and improvements are being made by the team to make the IDE better and robust to use. Eclipse also provides the feature to report any bug instantly directly to the support team. They respond to the report very fast and take quick action.
Read Kunal Verma's full review
Sudha Govindaraju | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 16, 2020

Eclipse IDE- easy to use and free!

I was a developer for a startup based in Houston. I used the Eclipse IDE to mainly develop Java applications. The Eclipse Software Development Kit(SDK) includes Java developers is meant for Java developers like me. It is free and open-source software. It also helped me develop applications in other programming languages via plug-ins. It really benefited our company as being the one IDE that supports programming in multiple languages.
  • Great framework for building Java applications.
  • Tons of great tools to add on it.
  • Running off and building something when the user doesn't ask it to.
  • Loses its way often/glitches which can require a restart.
Eclipse IDE is just as useful as any other IDE's on the market. One good thing about Eclipse IDE is free to use. It is extremely fast and flexible, and is very powerful for refactoring when working with several projects. However, Eclipse IDE misses many features compared to, say IntelliJ, but it does have a huge array of plugins delivering capabilities that aren't necessarily available with any other platform.
I was satisfied with the use of Eclipse as long as my project worked.
Read Sudha Govindaraju's full review
January 09, 2020

My Take on Eclipse

It is used across the whole organization as a tool for any Java-related development. It speeds up and solves development mechanisms at my organization in order such as allowing users to easily perform Proof of Concepts around multiple technology stacks around Java and as well the faster development process helps as well.
  • Stacks of integrated features.
  • Easy predictors for development.
  • Documentation.
  • JavaDoc integration.
It speeds up and solves development mechanisms at my organization in order such as allowing users to easily perform Proof of Concepts around multiple technology stacks around java and as well the faster development process helps as well. Predictors for development based upon the choice of language. Multiple variants of specific development stacks.
I never used the support service.
February 11, 2020

Coffee and Eclipse

It's currently used by some teams who are working on open-source technologies. It's the best IDE for Java development.
  • Stable.
  • User friendly.
  • Add themes.
  • Better integration with Git.
It's well suited for Java-related work. Has tons of plugins, adding and community support.
Wide support from Oracle and community.

Look no further than Eclipse for a Java IDE

Eclipse is an integrated development environment (IDE) used in computer programming. I used Eclipse mainly to develop Java applications. It was being used by most developers I know that write Java code. I would say it is the best IDE for Java but it can also be used for other coding languages and applications. I use it both personally and professionally.
  • IntelliSense is awesome.
  • Run and compile Java with ease.
  • The theme and animations can affect performance.
  • It does support a lot of languages, but not as good as Java.
It is amazing and the best IDE for Java that I recommend to other developers. If you disable some of the unnecessary spell check and the plugins, and also change the theme it can be very nice and fast, and it helps to improve performance. Also it is really good to have it on your resume.
I have not worked with the support directly myself, but from the overall feedback I hear from other users, I think it is good overall. Everyone can open bugs and ask questions on our forums which I really like also there is good overall support online as it is a very common IDE.

A great tool to work alongside SAP GUI

Currently, Eclipse is being used by the technical team (developers) and the business intelligence team, for both software development and big data report generation. Because it's an SAP consultancy firm, sometimes it needs to be used alongside with SAP Netweaver (SAP GUI) for additional features.
  • ABAP development.
  • Java development.
  • It's a heavy tool and usually crashes.
  • The UI could be more modern.
Eclipse is a great tool to use alongside with SAP GUI. It makes the ABAP and CDS development faster.
I never had to use Eclipse support, but the online community is very helpful.
Larry Reed | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 05, 2019

Eclipse: a decent open-source tool for development

Eclipse is used by various people but is not generally used by the organization. I was a user before I started at SurveyMonkey and continued to use it up until early in 2019. The company has generally not encouraged any particular IDE until this year. Most folks tended to use SublimeText, with a fair number using PyCharm, and only a few of us on Eclipse. Those of us using Eclipse like it's fully integrated debugging environment for Python (which also attracted users to PyCharm, which is essentially Eclipse with paid-for enhancements). I particularly liked being able to use it to access SQL Server in the same environment as Python and Javascript.
  • It is very good at managing many files under edit. I like the ability to manage multiple projects and multiple files. It supports a wide variety of file formats with type-specific syntax formatting.
  • I like the integrated debugging facility. In particular, we used a remote file system debugger with Python in external VMs to great effect.
  • I like the ability to access multiple types of databases in the integrated development environment. It provides connectors for a wide variety of databases and supports most basic DB access methods.
  • GIT integration is very effective. You can easily manage repositories and connect them to projects, and the project integration into GIT is virtually seamless.
  • While the DB integration is broad (many connectors) it isn't particularly deep. So if you need to do serious DB work on (for example) SQL Server, it is sometimes necessary to go directly to the SQL Server Studio. But for general access and manipulation, it is ok.
  • The syntax formatting is sometimes painful to set up and doesn't always support things well. For example, it doesn't effectively support SCSS.
  • Using it for remote debugging in a VM works pretty well, but it is difficult to set up and there is no documentation I could find to really explain how to do it. When remote debugging, the editor does not necessarily integrate the remote context. So, for example, things like Pylint don't always find the libraries in the VM and display spurious errors.
  • The debugging console is not the default, and my choice is never remembered, so every time I restart my program, it's a dialog and several clicks to get it back. The debugging console has the same contextual problems with remote debugging that the editor does.
For immediate local development, it's great. You can run tests and do debugging directly. For remote environments (typical if you develop in a VM or container environment) the setup is painful and pretty much undocumented.
It's open-source, so support for any given issue is hit or miss. It is a conglomeration of a bazillion tools that don't usually complement each other, and often compete with each other. So it's hard to know what to use or when to switch to something else. As a python developer, PyCharm is better because it's basically Eclipse with real support and focus on Python development.
Read Larry Reed's full review
Brandon Hightower | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 25, 2019

GPA Eclipse Review

Eclipse is a program that is not used by many people at our school. Our 6th, 7th, and 8th graders use it in a programming class that we offer at our school. It allows our students to develop programs with the Java programming language. We had used other programs before but found that this was the easiest for our students to use.
  • It is a really good program for developing with Java.
  • The user interface allows for even the most beginner of students to be able to learn.
  • There are times where it can be glitchy, so that could be improved upon.
  • The online support could be a little better.
It is well suited for classroom settings where Java will be taught. We have been using it in our classroom at our school for a few years now and have loved it. It is good for small programs. I think in situations where there are larger programs being built with Java, there are better programs out there.
I gave it this rating because my experience with the support for Eclipse has been both good and bad. There have been times where I have called in and have had a great experience, and there have been times where it has been the complete opposite and I've had to call again to get a different person.
Read Brandon Hightower's full review
Gabriel Samaroo | TrustRadius Reviewer

Eclipse - Best IDE for Java Development

Eclipse has been my favorite IDE to use for Java development. Eclipse has great shortcuts that improve the speed at which you code, and have a lot of great built-in features, such as the debugger and a marketplace to add plugins for various frameworks like Spring and Maven. Like any good IDE, you can have your own custom settings and preferences to tailor things to your specific preferences.
  • Extremely easy to install and use
  • It's free to use (as opposed to competitors like intelliJ)
  • Great marketplace for add-ons like Themes and Spring / Maven plugins
  • Great IDE for Java development. Plugins available for other languages (ie: Python), but not as good compared to other IDEs (ie: PyCharm)
  • Uses a lot of system resources / CPU
  • There are so many features built-in and available for use, it can sometimes take a long time to learn them all.
I would highly recommend Eclipse as the IDE of choice for Java developers. It's great for both small and large teams, but particular good for large teams because it is free to use. If you are developing in other languages (such as Python), I would recommend using other IDEs (such as VS Code, Atom / Sublime, intelliJ, PyCharm, etc.)
The support for Eclipse is very good. Since Eclipse has been around for so many years, there is a lot of documentation available online on usage and tips / tricks. There's also many online forums (ie: Stack Overflow) where questions and issues are reported and answered. Most Java developers have experience developing in Eclipse, so there is a huge open source community available as a resource.
Read Gabriel Samaroo's full review
Ram Nair | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 14, 2019

Eclipse review

Eclipse is used as in integrated development environment for all our applications. Eclipse advantage is it has integrated local servers so that we can deploy and test the application locally before pushing it to other environments. Eclipse is widely used and hence we get great support in case we have any questions or need additional support.
  • Integrated development environment
  • Easy to code
  • Coding assistance available in Eclipse
  • Integration with newer technology
  • backward compatibility
  • logging mechanism
Eclipse is useful in small, medium and large organizations. It has integrated software libraries for several programming languages. The code assistance help developer to develop rapid code. Integrated server assist in testing the code developed by developer to capture any issues or bugs. Overall Eclipse is a boon for all software developer, using Eclipse reduces the coding time significantly.
It's ease of use, popularity and great support from the Eclipse community user. It's code assistance and ease of use makes it widely used by all small, medium & large organizations. It works well for deploying applications on various vendors like Oracle Bea Weblogic server, IBM's application server, Tomcat and various other third party application servers.
Read Ram Nair's full review
Richard Davies | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 18, 2019

Eclipse is the do-it-all code editor

We use Eclipse as the IDE and code editor for our Adobe ColdFusion-based web applications. We only have a small number of ColdFusion developers but we standardized on using it as our IDE almost 15 years ago. As a full-featured code IDE, it allows us to edit code files in various languages, has an integrated code debugger, and integrates with our Subversion source code control.
  • Eclipse is very powerful and has a wide range of plugins that can be used to customize it and add additional functionality. For example, you can write code in a wide variety of languages, debug your code, commit it to your code repository, and manage your database schema and data all without ever leaving Eclipse.
  • As open-source software, it's available for free.
  • It has (or had) a very large user base so if you ever encountered issues, it's likely you're not the only one and you can find help from someone else who's experienced the same issue.
  • It runs on top of Java so it's available on almost any platform.
  • Compared to newer, more popular code editors today, Eclipse feels very large, bloated, and slow.
  • I've had compatibility issues in the past where certain 3rd party plugins I've relied on weren't compatible with newer versions of Eclipse and prevented me from being able to update to the latest versions. Or sometimes two plugins would conflict with each other or cause issues when used together. Occasionally I get random errors that are difficult to troubleshoot or identify the root cause.
  • Starting Eclipse always seems to take a really long time, it can consume a lot of memory, and sometimes runs slowly.
If you need a full-featured IDE for programming or web development Eclipse might be worth a look at, especially if you need a free editor or if you're doing Java development. However, it's starting to show it's age when compared to newer IDEs like VS Code, Atom, or Sublime. But if you only need to occasionally edit code or don't need integrated debuggers and code repositories, then I'd strongly recommend looking at a more lightweight editor.
As an open-source project, I don't think you can get direct, personalized support from the Eclipse Foundation. You're most likely going to have to use forums, message boards, and mailing lists to obtain help from other users. There is/was a large user base so usually, you can find someone else that's had the same problem, but if you have a really unique/obscure issue you might have trouble getting support for it.
Read Richard Davies's full review
Randolph Jones | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 16, 2019

Eclipse is extremely powerful, but newer IDEs may be passing it

At our organization, the selection of the IDE to use is made by individual engineers or on a project-specific basis, depending on the needs of the project. We use it for software engineering, mostly of Java code. We also have developed a plug-in for the artificial intelligence language we use.
  • It (mostly) smoothly integrates development with version control.
  • Incremental, continuous compilation and instant error checking are huge wins.
  • Built in unit testing.
  • Support for a variety of different languages and file types, with the ability to develop plug-ins for new types.
  • The version control integration is sometimes sketchy, especially for GIT.
  • Integration with Maven and Gradle are not complete and do not always exploit Eclipse's continuous compilation strengths.
For Java development, in particular, Eclipse speeds up development by an order of magnitude over other choices of language/IDE.
Read Randolph Jones's full review
December 05, 2019

Eclipse is a solid IDE for many languages and provides all the features you will need.

Eclipse is the standard IDE used for Java development in the Technology department. Eclipse solves large projects well with complete code compilation and handles plug-in development. Eclipse is used for software development for trading and compliance applications that utilize MAVEN, AVRO, GIT which are essential to these applications. Eclipse enables different programming languages including Python, Java, and C++ which are vital to the firm. In addition, Eclipse is integrated with subversion which is the configuration management tool used firm-wide.
  • Eclipse organizes imports well and does a good job presenting different programming languages.
  • Eclipse auto formats source code allowing customization and increased readability.
  • Eclipse reports errors automatically to users rather than logging it to the console.
  • Eclipse has coding shortcuts and auto-correction features allowing faster software development.
  • Eclipse setup is long, non-intuitive and not user-friendly for beginners.
  • The documentation feature is so difficult that it is often not used.
  • The Project explorer is hard to read and not a good organizer.
  • Eclipse look and feel and not as appealing as IntelliJ.
Eclipse is suitable for large-scale projects. It's not so user-friendly for smaller projects whereas IntelliJ is a more appropriate IDE built for small projects and beginner users.
Eclipse is a solid IDE for more experienced developers who are more familiar with plug-in development and many features it offers. It takes more time to get a simple project compiled, built and up and running. Eclipse environment is outdated and the user community is lacking support on some topics or issues. Eclipse is harder to use for Web Services and C++ which was my primary use.
November 20, 2019

Eclipse - Ocean of Plugins

Eclipse is being used across the organization on various platforms. Multiple projects built on Java are implemented on Eclipse.
  • Integration with database drivers.
  • Availability of plugins for pretty much any implementation that can be seamlessly integrated.
  • Ability to profile the code to identify memory and data leaks causing the application to slow down.
  • On some configurations, Eclipse can get extremely slow in responding, and its a known issue with many users facing similar problems. This is very inconsistent.
  • Some versions of Eclipse does not support the automatic code completion for JavaServer Faces and JavaFX tags.
I prefer to use Eclipse ONLY if my projects are configured using a build tool like Maven or Gradle. It is incredibly tedious to configure projects otherwise due to the classpath issues.

NetBeans is much more straight forward and more straightforward to configure the libraries and dependencies when a project is built with no build tools.
Eclipse has a vast user base on stack overflow and other active developer forums, and mostly you can always troubleshoot following the documentation.
July 18, 2019

Eclipse - An extensible platform

Eclipse is currently being used primarily by the IT community for aiding the businesses across North Americas and the South Americas for the business sectors across the organization. It is used primarily to help build reports of medium complexity by utilizing Hana views for SAP systems based on SAP HANA fairly quickly without relying on traditional ABAP route.
  • Eclipse is a great platform to help build Hana views of high to medium complexity without depending on traditional ABAP.
  • Eclipse has proved to be a great tool for purposes of building a view on the fly when a critical business decision in Production systems needs complex analysis.
  • Eclipse has proved helpful for our super user's community in corporate finance departments to build their own queries with less reliance and dependencies on IT.
  • Eclipse, at times, seems to pull a lot of system resources when running in the background resulting in slower system response in general. The workaround has been to eliminate some other applications running in parallel to improve the system performance.
  • Though there are multiple methods to expose the Hana views developed from Eclipse to the user community, some options are not very intuitive such as creating O Data services for creating Fiori apps, etc.
  • In case of finding incorrect joins, the ability to run data previews at join levels come in very handy. The performance of the backend Hana views at times is time-consuming and the cause for the issue is not obvious at the onset. However, after careful analysis, once the cause (say an inefficient join condition ) is known, the rectification could be simplified.
Eclipse is recommended for enabling the user community to be self-reliant in scenarios where the mode of operation demands agile, on the fly accurate reporting, such as during month ends for reconciliation purposes. The urgency and sensitivity of such situations result in a lot of stress with quick turnaround times but with the ability of Eclipse and Hana views, the reliance on IT could be minimized. Also, IT could leverage the power of Eclipse to develop Hana views without having to do the traditional route of ABAP developments. It might be less appropriate for situations where the agile and dynamic nature of the operations is not a necessity.
November 06, 2019

Perfect solution for your low-level language project!

In our company currently, Eclipse is being phased-out, since other products were decided to serve as the main integrated development environment used for Java and other JVM languages. However, it is still widely used for the development of existing software in low-level languages such as C, C++, and Fortran. Thanks to its vast ecosystem of various plug-ins it helps a lot to increase the productivity of development.
  • Efficient architecture with plug-ins providing all the functionality on top of the powerful run-time system.
  • The ecosystem of different plug-ins for a wide variety of neat features.
  • Rich client platform for implementing robust desktop applications.
  • The design of the UI could be improved and modernized.
  • Integration with version control systems is a bit slow.
  • Syntax prediction tools are solved better in other IDE products.
Eclipse platform is really well suited for the development of projects written in low-level languages. Versatile implementation of the OSGI framework specification is capable of dynamically running multiple separate extensions. On the other hand, for Java and Scala-based projects, better environments exist which are outperforming Eclipse in several areas such as stability and ease of use.
All the Eclipse platform source code is publicly available which makes it very easy to solve your problems on your own. Sometimes it is more efficient to get an assist from various project experts which are straightforward to reach. There are also third-party companies offering good quality, professional support with quite an affordable pricing.
October 29, 2019

Eclipse is the IDE for SAP developers

I've used Eclipse since my student days as it is a very versatile development environment. Currently, we use Eclipse as the preferred way to write ABAP code for the SAP environment, and to manage our HANA landscape. Eclipse is mainly used by our developers and IT staff, and we have used it with our clients as well.
  • Eclipse, through its library of tools, is exceptionally broad and can be customized to suit just about any situation.
  • Eclipse SAP HANA tools are the best way to manage a HANA database.
  • Eclipse SAP ABAP tools are the preferred way to develop CDS views and modern ABAP programs.
  • The biggest issue I have with Eclipse is probably its biggest selling point: it's so big that it can be quite cumbersome to get the appropriate tools and configuration set up for your use case.
  • I'd like to see (maybe) a lightweight distribution of Eclipse that comes with specific tools for specific purposes (SAP specifically).
Eclipse has a better ABAP editor than the built-in editor with SAP. Code completion, error checking, syntax checking, its all handled better in Eclipse. It is also one of the only ways to develop CDS views which drive an awful lot of SAP HANA functionality such as machine learning, and some of their newest programming models.
Eclipse has been around for quite some time and is more than just an SAP development tool. In fact, it is probably used more by JAVA and other developers than SAP developers. There are updates and new versions coming out all the time, and support for the product is very strong.

Eclipse Review

The Eclipse project that is being used at our organization is the Integrated Development Environment.
It is used exclusively within the Development Teams as the primary code editing tool. It was, for an extended period of time, the only code development tool that was used in our department (approximately 100 team members). However, we now have a more heterogeneous code development tooling environment. The Eclipse IDE is really an integrated code development environment, that allows for code editing, building/compiling, version control, code quality checking, web development, and more.
  • Eclipse uses the concept of plug-ins to extend it's core capabilities. This is a highly efficient concept, as you'll be able to add only what you want to. Don't need maven build integration? No need to add the M2E plugin. Need to hook up to an SVN repo? Feel free to add in the Subversive plug-in. This goes for every aspect of the features that are made available.
  • It is actively maintained. There are scheduled releases every year. at least 2 if not more. They come packed with all sorts of enhancements and feature upgrades.
  • It's open-source. Now, this is a more philosophical point. If you believe in Free Software, and the Open Source paradigm, then this will ensure that your organization continues to align with those principles. It is community-driven, and even the plugins that it supports are themselves open-source. So you'll continue to have a thriving ecosystem.
  • It is very strange that the Eclipse IDE has such a long startup time. And feels very bloated. The core product doesn't come with any additional features or capabilities, and yet, with every release, it seems to get slower and feels bulkier. It behooves me to understand how this is possible.
  • Despite their regular releases, it almost seems as if the Eclipse team is focusing on the wrong things. Their updates and enhancements are certainly very welcome, and it's clear they are actively working on fixing defects. But they are continually behind the 8-ball on supporting new industry standards and anticipating where the field is going.
  • It's wonderful to have choices, and that is a testament to the Open Source ecosystem. However, compatibility issues continue to plague the eclipse project. Plugins often are incompatible with different versions, or are unusable and just crash upon installation, yet continue to be offered as compatible plugins. This causes a mess.
  • Setting up and configuring Eclipse can range anywhere from a tedious, but necessary task, to an absolute nightmare. Although the core product is highly portable, the customizations, the plugins, the configurations that make it works exactly the way you want, or more importantly, the specific setup that you want your entire team to use to ensure consistency, can be hellish to port over if and when you switch to a new laptop.
I would strongly recommend Eclipse to any developer working on almost any programming language. But more importantly, if you are working in an environment that requires integration with various tools and platforms across your enterprise, then Eclipse is an especially powerful application. However, one size does not fit all, and sometimes you don't need a swiss-army knife. But rather a precise surgical tool. In those cases, Eclipse's more general functions won't hold up, compared to say, Microsoft's Visual Studio Code. In fact, one could even say that if you are a modern web-app developer, then there are a couple of development environments that are probably better than Eclipse.
The Eclipse team, and by extension, eclipse community, has an amazing level of dedication to fixing defects, and providing support for one another to make sure everyone can use the product and get around all the crazy quirks that pop up. You'll hardly ever run into a scenario that nobody hasn't already run into (and usually resolved).

Developing in Eclipse

Our development team currently uses Eclipse for our J2EE web application. We develop and debug using the tool to deliver quality software to our business users.
  • Free IDE which was an easy sell to upper management to use.
  • Very easy to set up development environment to get started.
  • There is a community of users which can be helpful if needed.
  • Debugging feature not as polished as other paid IDE tools.
  • When moving from different Git branches, I've noticed Eclipse sometimes breaks my local setup at different levels. I have to waste time to diagnose the problem.
  • I wish there was better debugging mechanism when debugging our web application.
Eclipse is ideal since it is free and easy to setup. All you would need to do is import your code base and build the code and are ready to start developing.
Since there is a large online support community, I would have to say it is excellent.
Jonah Dempcy | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 14, 2019

Robust, Feature-Rich IDE with a Steep Learning Curve

We use Eclipse for Java development which includes building and deploying web services, as well as Java Android development, although for the latter we primarily use Android Studio now. However, we have legacy Android applications which still require the use of Android Studio as they were never upgraded to Android Studio and Gradle. So, for Maven projects we still do Android development with Eclipse. Primarily, however, we use Eclipse for building web apps and cloud services.
  • Eclipse is great for its Docker integration. We have had a breeze deploying using Docker with Eclipse.
  • I love Eclipse's local history feature. Even with Git Flow integration, which we also use, it's nice to be able to quickly diff between current and older versions of a file.
  • Eclipse has a very powerful search feature for finding and replacing code.
  • Eclipse is also great at refactoring. I love its auto-import and code generation features.
  • Eclipse has so many windows that it took me years before I wasn't overwhelmed by them. When I first started using Eclipse in 2006 I couldn't stand it.
  • The learning curve is very steep. There are a hundred little tricks you have to learn.
  • Sometimes Eclipse can get into a bad state and you have to clear the caches and restart or go through elaborate build-clean-build processes to fix it.
  • Eclipse can run very slowly.
  • Eclipse is notoriously bloated with unnecessary features that most of us will never use.
Eclipse is great for Java development. It's not my first choice for Android development since Android Studio is so much better now. However, having done Android development in Eclipse for years, it's not that bad for that either. Eclipse is also not my first choice for web development of any kind, despite plugins that go a long way to supporting web languages. There are simply better IDEs out there if you want to write Ruby, Python, Perl, or PHP code. There are also better IDEs and text editors for HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and many of the new web technologies like CoffeeScript and Less. I pretty much only use Eclipse for Java development and for that it's a must.
Read Jonah Dempcy's full review
Shivani Sharma | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 23, 2019

Eclipse is a full fledged solution for project development

We use Eclipse for all Java project development in the department. Most of the times when dealing with some complex problems which can only be solved using Java logic, we have to rely on Java development and use an IDE. Eclipse is one of the oldest and most popular IDE kits. Eclipse helps with business problems like fast Java application development with proper industry standards. The third party integrator and connectors help a lot to make the finest and crafted end product.
  • Third party integration services are easy to implement and track bugs easily. Helps in faster development of the project.
  • Code Editor and the User Interface is more than awesome to work with.
  • Large Eclipse community makes it possible to install and setup the environment for the development of industry level projects.
  • Eclipse workspace should be encrypted within the OS drive so that someone handling the same machine cannot get to your project and development easily.
  • Eclipse takes a lot of time to start and initialize. The kick-start time should be like a code editor. Once started, then it can gather resources.
  • The IDE is suitable only for Java developers. Though there are a lot of plugins for different languages, it should have a standalone IDE for other languages too.
Well suited for when you have a large project to do. It's not suitable for small code edits and markups.
Read Shivani Sharma's full review
April 23, 2019

Wanna start with Java coding??

Eclipse is a famous Java IDE. It easily combines language support. The best thing about Eclipse is the suggestions we get for every line. When we are aware of the proceeding we get all suggestions which can be included or used for correct usage. Java related coding and debugging is done in Eclipse. Beginners who are interested in coding can start with Eclipse but when we come for specifications it becomes a bit difficult. Pointing out errors is very easy in Eclipse. It also shows proper directory structure which allows the user to navigate easily from class to class.
  • Pointing out errors.
  • Auto fill code.
  • Proper directory structure.
  • Less menu structure.
  • Restarts soon when closed and opened.
  • UI can be changed with better colors and options.
People who are starting with coding in Java should or can start with eclipse as it is beginner friendly and saves time. There are many shortcuts available in Eclipse, which will almost auto fill the code to the max. Eclipse suggests importing jars that are there in other projects' classpaths. It makes it easy rather than going and searching for jar downloads
April 11, 2019

Eclipse good for Java

Eclipse is used primarily by developers. Eclipse is a development tool IDE that is used to create applications in Java. Eclipse is one of the many leading tools used when developing Java applications and is widely used and well supported.
  • Eclipse is good at telling the developer when there are issues with the code or even with the build.
  • Eclipse has code autocomplete which saves me time when coding, it will even import when I attempt to use a library.
  • Can integrate with plugins such as Ivy for dependency management.
  • It is a resource hog this is probably caused by it constantly analyzing code on the fly. I do recommend closing it when not in use.
  • The autocomplete can sometimes be a pain and start freezing.
Great for development for enterprise level Java applications.
April 05, 2019

Great IDE at no Price

We use it on a daily basis to access java programs and Oracle Service Bus proxy services. It is used across the organization by many people. We are a service and integration team, and we build services using Java/Weblogic JAX-RPC using Eclipse. It enables us to modernize legacy systems by exposing them as services.
  • It's a free tool and we can use it for pretty much everything Java.
  • We also use it to connect to version control systems, such as svm directly from the IDE.
  • It has great short cuts enabling us to navigate between various classes and methods at a great speed.
  • I think the shortcuts and handling of boiler plate code could be better.
  • We miss connectivity to something like Salesforce CRM to do SOQL queries.
Java and Web programming using Eclipse IDE is very cool. It's easy to get on to it. The learning curve is very less.
I am not sure how good eclipse is for Python Django kind of work. I use PyCharm for the same. Also, refactoring code is not intuitive on Eclipse.

About Eclipse

Eclipse is a free and open source integrated development environment (IDE).

Eclipse Integrations