Reviews (1-2 of 2)
March 28, 2018
Score 6 out of 10
I currently use Enthought Canopy as my IDE for writing, editing and running Python scripts. It helps me keep track of all my Python programs and projects in one space. Canopy is good for data analysis and playing around with data to achieve a specific purpose. Currently I am the only one using Enthought Canopy at my team.
- Canopy's editor has an integrated environment of having an editor and a Python shell attached to it
- The Documentation Browser is useful
- The analytic Python package distribution is definitely a plus
- Canopy does not support Python 3
- There were times the Python shell crashed, and I would have to restart it
- Some Python libraries are slow.
Read this authenticated review
Enthought Canopy is best suites for scripting data analytical concepts. It has a wide range of data analytical libraries and also is good for data visualization. I would not recommend using Enthought Canopy only as an IDE, there may be better options available. If you're looking for a good data simulation & visualization package, Canopy it is.
February 11, 2016
Score 9 out of 10
Enthought Canopy is the programming platform of choice by myself for python 2.7, and is the tool I'm currently using for my project. We are keeping track of a bunch of data and making a lot of analysis on them. I chose Canopy for its ease of use, and because they provide several libraries which are perfect for our purpose, specially for data analysis. Besides that Canopy offers several training courses which are very helpful. Canopy facilitates the incorporation of scientific libraries it works locally and provides its own compiler, that's why configuring a common environment for all the developers stop being a problem.
- Providing scientific libraries, both open source and Enthought's own libraries which are excellent.
- Training. They provide several courses in python for general use and for data analysis.
- Debugging tools. Several IDEs provides tools for debugging, but I think they are insufficient or too general. Canopy has a special debugging tool, specially design for python.
- Lack of python 3 support. I hope this will chance in the near future.
- Canopy is perfect for scientific application, but it would be even more perfect if they include more general purpose libraries.
Read Jesús Aponte's full review
Canopy is perfect for data analysis in general. If you are a programmer for general purpose commercial application perhaps Canopy is not the best choice. But if you are just beginning programming or making simulation with python I recommend using Canopy and its training platform, they have excellent teachers with impressive curriculum.
Enthought Canopy Scorecard Summary
About Enthought Canopy
Austin based Enthought offers their flagship scientific Python distribution, Canopy. The Canopy Geoscience (or Canopy Geo) variant of the product is a data analysis, exploration and visualization package optimized for geologists & geophysicists, and researchers in petroleum science.
Categories: Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
Enthought Canopy Technical Details