Forefront Identity Manager (Discontinued)
Forefront Identity Manager (Discontinued)
We are using Forefront with multiple entities. Many of our employees work across multiple internal entities and this allows us to control …
Forefront Identity Manager is being used to secure the user login procedure and requests to our new Windows Domain hosted in the Azure …
Forefront Identity Manager is being used to secure the user login procedure and requests to new Windows Domain users to use their digital …
We are in the beginning stages of starting to look at using Forefront Identity Manager. We are using Microsoft's Educational version of …
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Forefront Identity Manager (Discontinued), and make your voice heard!
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Would you like us to let the vendor know that you want pricing?
Forefront Identity Manager is a Microsoft's legacy identity management solution. In 2016 Microsoft released Microsoft Identity Manager, an updated IAM solution. Support for Forefront Identity Manager ended October 2017.
A Short Training Video into ForeFront Identity Manager
Companies can't remove reviews or game the system. Here's why
We are using Forefront with multiple entities. Many of our employees work across multiple internal entities and this allows us to control who and where.
- The biggest hurdle is that it integrates with Active Directory
- This simplifies my life since I don't have disparate locations for the same identity
- Our SSRS users now have a single location for access and role-based views, this is a huge positive for them.
- Cloud integration needs some love. I think most companies nowadays have a hybrid model with some in-house and some cloud. A complete integration would be a huge win.
I think that MIM is great for compliance since it reduces the number of logins that are required by users. Most offices have post-it notes with logins floating around because there are so many to remember or there are "shared" logins. This reduces the number of logins to 1 and you can easily revoke access in one fell swoop. This prevents gaps and holes with terminations and updates to select groups are super simple.
Forefront Identity Manager is being used to secure the user login procedure and requests to our new Windows Domain hosted in the Azure Cloud. Users use their digital id to keep a terminal session for shared resources and to manage sessions for our operations and customer care users. Our accounting department and IT system admins use it as well.
- Identity Management
- Lack of documentation
- No Windows Server 2012 Integration
Forefront is excellent for multi-factor authentication in the cloud or on premises. It is fast and lightweight. [It provides] Ease of self-management of credentials. The user web interface is easy to use and understand. Less time is spent by IT staff resetting passwords or unlocking accounts.
Forefront Identity Manager is being used to secure the user login procedure and requests to new Windows Domain users to use their digital id, to keep a terminal session or sensitive access to shared resources in a secure and manage terms well and also administrate the life-cycle membership, accounting users, project managers and service desk techs.
- Improved self-service password reset which supports all current web browsers
- Improvement to the reporting engine via the system center service manager and MS SQL Server reporting services (SSRS)
- WebServices Connector to connect to SAP ECC 5/6, Oracle PeopleSoft, and Oracle eBusiness
- For Windows Server 2008 R2 Servers is a great tool to set a codeless provisioning over new objects.
- Can easily integrate with Active Directory and Exchange Servers, improving the identity sync between the final user and the lifecycle management.
- Improvements in the areas of performance, simplified deployment easing the troubleshooting tasks, better documentation knowledge base, and more language support.
- The codeless provisioning provided in FIM can sustain a variety from high demand to mid-size scenarios for account lifecycle management.
For Windows Server 2008 R2 is the best choice and it'll endorse the security outlines within the identity lifecycle management best practice, will give you full integration with the principal roles of a Domain and their complementary services as Exchange Server, and it'll allow to manage every single new object with ease and steady pace with it codeless provisioning features. Don't try to use FIM over the latest versions of Windows Server (2012 - 2016) for those IT admin I recommend the newest versions MIM (Microsoft Identity Manager), will fit perfect for these kind of scenarios.
We are in the beginning stages of starting to look at using Forefront Identity Manager. We are using Microsoft's Educational version of the suite of offerings from Office 365. So far the product looks promising for our need. We have a need to sync our on-premises active directory environment with our cloud environment. We need users to be able to self-manage their credentials as well. We are also looking at using the two-factor authentication portion for users that may have access to sensitive data. And for other users on a if they want to use it basis.
- Sync of local on premises with the cloud
- Allows for users to manage their credentials
- Allows for two-factor authentication
- Fortunately we have a higher education campus license so it is not as bad for us, but, in my opinion, the product is otherwise very much over-priced.
- I think documentation is lacking. This is the case with many Microsoft products. You have to do a lot of self research and self teaching to get the product up and running and learn how to use it. Thank goodness there are a lot of resources that can be Googled.
- Users' self-management of credentials is a big help. It takes a lot of work off the helpdesk and admins.
- Sync of on-premises to the cloud.
- The web interface makes it easy to access.