IBM Analytics Engine Reviews

Do you work for this company?

We have just begun to explore very large data sets and gave the IBM Analytics Engine a test to see how it would work for us. We were quite surprised at how complete and easy it was to set up and manage multiple Spark and Hadoop clusters. The separation of computing and storage really drives the performance up and gives you a better architecture with which to manage your overall big data plans.
  • It’s easy to integrate if you are already on IBM cloud, and even if you are not you can still explore the whole package with their free Lite plan and some service credits they offer.
  • Unlimited clusters without any performance degradation is a nice selling point. The smaller cluster size seems to work since it is only the computer, and not mixed with storage.
  • The connection to Watson Studio helps manage your jobs as you submit them to the cluster, and this is a nice easy relationship with Analytics Engine.
  • Easier pricing and plug-and-play like you see with AWS and Azure, it would be nice from a budgeting and billing standpoint, as well as better support for the administration.
  • Bundling of the Cloud Object Storage should be included with the Analytics Engine.
  • The inability to add your own Hadoop stack components has made some transfers a little more complex.
IBM Analytics Engine works well for managing and running multiple clusters, keeping them organized and monitoring your budget better by separating out the computer costs from the storage costs. It’s only a good option if you are already working within IBM Cloud, if you are an Azure or AWS shop, you have better options within those subscriptions for both price and performance. Also, if you don’t have much in Hadoop or Spark clusters, the features this tool offers only add incremental value to how you were managing it before.
As far as I know, we are the only department in our rather large organization that is currently using the IBM Analytics Engine. We needed a relatively low-cost solution to perform analysis without a huge amount of maintenance or upkeep required. It also allowed us to perform tasks we did not foresee, such as analyze data across multiple applications.
  • Ease of use / user interface
  • Reasonable pricing
  • Ability to build and deploy clusters very quickly... within minutes
  • I would like to see a more robust version of their online help
  • The speed of their business support is adequate, but I kind of expect more from such a powerhouse.
  • Problems with duration of cluster life
The IBM Analytics Engine is particularly well-suited for situations in which you are required to analyze data from a myriad of sources. The drill-down capabilities make this a very powerful tool, but the implementation of large-scale projects requires watching the tutorials first, in our opinion. It is nice that they offer a free trial version so that you can test limited features first.
IBM Analytics Engine is being used by my organization to analyze our data across multiple applications. We use it primarily to gather data to be used to analyze application performance and reliability. This data allows us to ensure that we are delivering the best possible application performance to our customers and business partners across all channels.
  • We are able to build and deploy clusters within minutes to simplify user experience and increase scalability and reliability.
  • We are able to scale and compute on-demand to handle newer workloads like machine learning.
  • We really like that we are able to access and administer the application via multiple interfaces.
  • Some of the documentation can be overwhelming and very technical. We would love to have some documentation written for non-technical people.
  • We would like to see better communication from IBM regarding upgrades and patching cycles of the product.
  • The learning curve for this product is steep. This is definitely not a product that will be used right out of the box.
I think the IBM Analytics Engine is well suited for large corporations looking to increase their analytics game. This is truly an Enterprise product that can capture data across multiple workflows to help a business grab a hold of what's going on with their data. I don't feel that the IBM Analytics Engine is well-suited for smaller companies. The complexity is just to large to roll-out to a company that might not need all the power of this product.
We used IBM Analytics Engine for one of the public sector clients who have to deal with massive amounts of data coming from their mobile app and centralized internet web applications. They were previously running a custom solution developed by one of the big fours and were unfortunate enough to have lost a data due to infrastructure failure. The high-level idea was to separate computing and storage and simpler administration of clusters without losing the analytics capabilities.
  • Separation of computing and storage without losing analytics capability
  • Simple and straightforward cluster administration
  • Relatively simpler navigation as compared to the alternatives
  • Business support is not half as good as it should be. Takes a while to provide support to even high priority tickets.
  • Lack of proper documentation on features and how they can be leveraged for maximum ROI.
If you are looking for a relatively cost-effective solution of running extremely powerful analytics without the headache of complex administration and maintenance it generally comes with, IBM Analytics Engine is a worthy option to be considered. It helped our clients cut down the maintenance and administration and had an added advantage reducing data integrity and downtime issue by separation of two fundamental aspects of any web application
Prasanna Nattuthurai profile photo
  • We used it for a research project to implement big data analysis on a YELP dataset from 2017 to answer a sales related question. We used the default Ambari file browser to upload the data, Hadoop ecosystem for data cleaning, Hive to query the dataset followed by TABLEAU for visualization.
  • Simple to implement
  • Good support from IBM
  • Widely used for Big data implementation
  • Even for L4 level support, assistance could have been more prompt. Since we are doing this for master level research all the students faced an issue when there was a MIGRATION to a newer version of the analytical engine, which doesn't let us take cmd line.
  • The explanation was not clear enough when a problem is resolved followed by a service request. Apart from being confidential, it's better for the students to understand why an issue occurs and what steps were take to resolve it.
  • Well suited for my big data related project or a static data set analysis especially for uploading huge dataset to the cluster.
  • But had some issues with connecting IoT real-time data and feeding to Power BI. It might be my understanding please take it as a mere comment rather than a suggestion.
Read Prasanna Nattuthurai's full review
January 26, 2018

Great product

I go to California state university, Los Angles for a master in information systems. Our computer science department uses IBM Analytics Engine along with the students to give them hands on experience with a real time tool. It works pretty great. I used IBM Analytics Engine to learn about Hadoop and soon will learn about Spark SQL and so on.
  • Compact clusters. Via the trial versions that I use, I have a great insight of how different organizations create clusters and manage data
  • Fast: the load time at registration is a bit slow. But after creating the first cluster, everything went way faster
  • Realistic: hands on experience
  • Reasonable cost
  • Lagging at some point. Inconsistency in maintaining and running clusters.
  • Should allow the cluster to last longer before refreshing
  • It’s a bit confusing to navigate through the site. Sometime I thought I hit the right section then it lead me to another one.
  • The log in page is inconsistent. I could find 3 different IBM log in page via Google. And then have to click many things that will lead to where I want.
In my case, it’s very nice to be able to use the service for education at an affordable price.
February 01, 2018

Good

It was used by my department only. It helped to analyze our program outcome throughout the 6 months that I was working with that program. It was really helpful, and shortened our analysis procedure by a lot. Moreover, it saved the company a lot of labor and time.
  • easy use of interface
  • clear instructions of where everything is
  • the two week use of nodes
  • some feature updates without clear instructions
  • better online help
It is pretty good for my work, but it might not be useful for all programmers, even in my company. Also users needs to understand it pretty well before using it. Instructions for how to use it is probably helpful for users who have never used it or heard about it.

IBM Analytics Engine Scorecard Summary

About IBM Analytics Engine

IBM Analytics Engine is a Hadoop and Spark service allowing users to rapidly build and deploy analytics applications.

IBM Analytics Engine Technical Details