IBM BigInsights is an analytics and data visualization tool leveraging hadoop.IBM Analytics When to Use and When Not to UseWe used IBM Analytics Engine for one of the public sector clients who have to deal with massive amounts of data coming from their mobile app and centralized internet web applications. They were previously running a custom solution developed by one of the big fours and were unfortunate enough to have lost a data due to infrastructure failure. The high-level idea was to separate computing and storage and simpler administration of clusters without losing the analytics capabilities.,Separation of computing and storage without losing analytics capability Simple and straightforward cluster administration Relatively simpler navigation as compared to the alternatives,Business support is not half as good as it should be. Takes a while to provide support to even high priority tickets. Lack of proper documentation on features and how they can be leveraged for maximum ROI.,7,Reduced cost of maintenance and administration of analytics` Improved fail-safe measures for overall application,Hortonworks Data Platform, Apache Spark, Tableau Desktop and Tableau OnlineAnalytics Engine in Big DataWe used it for a research project to implement big data analysis on a YELP dataset from 2017 to answer a sales related question. We used the default Ambari file browser to upload the data, Hadoop ecosystem for data cleaning, Hive to query the dataset followed by TABLEAU for visualization.,Simple to implement Good support from IBM Easy to use Widely used for Big data implementation,Even for L4 level support, assistance could have been more prompt. Since we are doing this for master level research all the students faced an issue when there was a MIGRATION to a newer version of the analytical engine, which doesn't let us take cmd line. The explanation was not clear enough when a problem is resolved followed by a service request. Apart from being confidential, it's better for the students to understand why an issue occurs and what steps were take to resolve it.,8,This is a research project so nonprofit, but its easy to use and teach others,Microsoft Azure HDInsight,IBM Watson AnalyticsGreat productI go to California state university, Los Angles for a master in information systems. Our computer science department uses IBM Analytics Engine along with the students to give them hands on experience with a real time tool. It works pretty great. I used IBM Analytics Engine to learn about Hadoop and soon will learn about Spark SQL and so on.,Compact clusters. Via the trial versions that I use, I have a great insight of how different organizations create clusters and manage data Fast: the load time at registration is a bit slow. But after creating the first cluster, everything went way faster Realistic: hands on experience Reasonable cost,Lagging at some point. Inconsistency in maintaining and running clusters. Should allow the cluster to last longer before refreshing It’s a bit confusing to navigate through the site. Sometime I thought I hit the right section then it lead me to another one. The log in page is inconsistent. I could find 3 different IBM log in page via Google. And then have to click many things that will lead to where I want.,10,Increasing learning success. My class and I were able to practice real tools The only downsize is without the school, it would be unaffordable to use the tools,GoodIt was used by my department only. It helped to analyze our program outcome throughout the 6 months that I was working with that program. It was really helpful, and shortened our analysis procedure by a lot. Moreover, it saved the company a lot of labor and time.,easy use of interface clear instructions of where everything is,the two week use of nodes some feature updates without clear instructions better online help,9,it saved a lot of money on hiring more labor it saved a lot of time on analyzing all the data,Microsoft Project, Tableau Desktop
IBM Analytics Engine

IBM Analytics Engine Reviews

IBM Analytics Engine
Filter 19 vetted IBM Analytics Engine reviews and ratings
May 14, 2018

IBM Analytics Engine Review: "IBM Analytics When to Use and When Not to Use"

• Separation of computing and storage without losing analytics capability
  • Simple and straightforward cluster administration
  • Relatively simpler navigation as compared to the alternatives
  • Business support is not half as good as it should be. Takes a while to provide support to even high priority tickets.
  • Lack of proper documentation on features and how they can be leveraged for maximum ROI.
If you are looking for a relatively cost-effective solution of running extremely powerful analytics without the headache of complex administration and maintenance it generally comes with, IBM Analytics Engine is a worthy option to be considered. It helped our clients cut down the maintenance and administration and had an added advantage reducing data integrity and downtime issue by separation of two fundamental aspects of any web application
February 01, 2018

IBM Analytics Engine Review: "Analytics Engine in Big Data"

• We used it for a research project to implement big data analysis on a YELP dataset from 2017 to answer a sales related question. We used the default Ambari file browser to upload the data, Hadoop ecosystem for data cleaning, Hive to query the dataset followed by TABLEAU for visualization.
  • Simple to implement
  • Good support from IBM
  • Widely used for Big data implementation
  • Even for L4 level support, assistance could have been more prompt. Since we are doing this for master level research all the students faced an issue when there was a MIGRATION to a newer version of the analytical engine, which doesn't let us take cmd line.
  • The explanation was not clear enough when a problem is resolved followed by a service request. Apart from being confidential, it's better for the students to understand why an issue occurs and what steps were take to resolve it.
  • Well suited for my big data related project or a static data set analysis especially for uploading huge dataset to the cluster.
  • But had some issues with connecting IoT real-time data and feeding to Power BI. It might be my understanding please take it as a mere comment rather than a suggestion.
Read Prasanna Nattuthurai's full review
January 26, 2018

IBM Analytics Engine Review: "Great product"

• Compact clusters. Via the trial versions that I use, I have a great insight of how different organizations create clusters and manage data
  • Fast: the load time at registration is a bit slow. But after creating the first cluster, everything went way faster
  • Realistic: hands on experience
  • Reasonable cost
  • Lagging at some point. Inconsistency in maintaining and running clusters.
  • Should allow the cluster to last longer before refreshing
  • It’s a bit confusing to navigate through the site. Sometime I thought I hit the right section then it lead me to another one.
  • The log in page is inconsistent. I could find 3 different IBM log in page via Google. And then have to click many things that will lead to where I want.
In my case, it’s very nice to be able to use the service for education at an affordable price.
February 01, 2018

IBM Analytics Engine Review: "Good"

• easy use of interface
  • clear instructions of where everything is
  • the two week use of nodes
  • some feature updates without clear instructions
  • better online help
It is pretty good for my work, but it might not be useful for all programmers, even in my company. Also users needs to understand it pretty well before using it. Instructions for how to use it is probably helpful for users who have never used it or heard about it.

IBM Analytics Engine Scorecard Summary

About IBM Analytics Engine

IBM Analytics Engine is a Hadoop and Spark service allowing users to rapidly build and deploy analytics applications.

IBM Analytics Engine Technical Details